Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off-Topic Thread V3.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Pangea wrote: »
    Thanks , what does settling a low manual curve entail?
    Screenshot of fan
    DSC-2885.jpg

I explained that completely wrong in post above.

First and second dot leave where they are and put the third dot halfway between 75 and 100 degrees and half way between 25 and 50% on the other axis. And the forth dot put in the top right corner at 100 and 100.

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭MidlanderMan

random but I play a LOT of competitive FPS, it's probably 70+ % of my total gaming time, and lately I've been getting annoyed by the fact that my ring and pinky on my mouse hand touch my mouse mat while playing. I use a mostly plam grip and have pretty wide palms so even while using a wide mouse like a G403 it's an issue, I actually switched from a smaller mouse to this one to try sort the issue.

anyone have any tips to either negate the issue with palm positioning, or a mouse with a ledge I could rest my pinky on?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

I explained that completely wrong in post above.

First and second dot leave where they are and put the third dot halfway between 75 and 100 degrees and half way between 25 and 50% on the other axis. And the forth dot put in the top right corner at 100 and 100.

Thanks but how do I edit the dots?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,130 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

Drag

• Registered Users Posts: 4,412 ✭✭✭Homelander

I have a Dell G3 that's two weeks left in warranty, and it's developed a really annoying problem lately.

It'll be 100% dead - won't turn on, won't charge, and then magically a few hours later it'll work no problem and can game away on it without issue.

Anyone any idea what it could be? I will get in touch with them as it's still in warranty, but I don't for a second trust them not to look at it and give it a clean bill of health without any real investigation or knowledge of what the issue even is.

All that aside, it's the worst experience of a gaming laptop I've ever had. Even before this latest dud after 11 months, it overheats and throttles the worst I've ever seen in a laptop, bluetooth constantly having issues, few other small things as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭savemejebus

Homelander wrote: »
    I have a Dell G3 that's two weeks left in warranty, and it's developed a really annoying problem lately.

It'll be 100% dead - won't turn on, won't charge, and then magically a few hours later it'll work no problem and can game away on it without issue.

Anyone any idea what it could be? I will get in touch with them as it's still in warranty, but I don't for a second trust them not to look at it and give it a clean bill of health without any real investigation or knowledge of what the issue even is.

All that aside, it's the worst experience of a gaming laptop I've ever had. Even before this latest dud after 11 months, it overheats and throttles the worst I've ever seen in a laptop, bluetooth constantly having issues, few other small things as well.

Get on to them about it asap. Detail every single thing that you are finding, not just the unresponsive issue and if on phone support ask them to email you also so that you have a paper trail. That even if they give it a clean bill of health and the problem or really any other problem arises out of warranty, you will be able to point out that you brought it to their attention while under warranty and that they have to fix it. Otherwise they'll make you pay through the nose.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Homelander wrote: »

I've always been hesitant on gaming laptops, a lot of manufacturers out there cut corners and cause no end of troubles on the performance side of things. For example Asus are little ****ehawks when it comes to segregating their laptop market. They have identical chassis in some models, and they intentionally BLOCK IN cooling vents on the bottom on lower end models to reduce performance. There's some videos going on about it. I found the same on my old Asus laptop. Never again.

All that said, I have a Gigabyte Aero, paid 1k for 9750h, 1660ti, 16gb RAM and 240hz screen. It's the best laptop I've ever owned. Temps are great, no observed major throttling. Seems to be a thing across the board, Gigabyte laptops are good all round.

With your mouse. Just click on it and drag it to where you want it to go.

I've always been hesitant on gaming laptops, a lot of manufacturers out there cut corners and cause no end of troubles on the performance side of things.

Yeah, I had been considering getting an RTX3080 laptop as they are actually not "that" expensive all things considered.

But my experience with Dell put me off, reminded me of how much more vunerable laptops are as well if something goes wrong.

Just bought a B550M/5600X setup off Amazon, sans GPU obviously. It pains me but it looks like I will be stuck using a crumbling GTX960 or similar for the next few months, if not longer. Painful.

Funny thing is I had zero trouble getting an RX6800 one of those Thursdays a while back when I wasn't even that bothered and ended up getting up by pure chance, only for Fastway to lose the package.

Now I'll probably be one of those lads sweating at my desk at 4.30pm trying to slip into that 5 second window for a card, hoping my boss doesn't need something.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭Shlippery

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lJKDsgaZzFM
    Just spotted this - might finally be able to uninstall icue!

• Advertisement

I didnt get around to editing the fan curves on my wraith prism yet but came across this video, could anyone with a bit of knowledge confirm this is okay to do?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6NcZCMu5kCw&t=1s

I did it and must admit the fan seems quieter and seems to be spinning more consistently before it used to spin then slow down and stop and then turn around the other direction as far as I know.

It is safe to do that what he done in that video.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

it used to spin then slow down and stop and then turn around the other direction as far as I know.

Funny, isn't it? Quite common on those coolers in particular, because it's an optical illusion!

Giblet wrote: »
    Funny, isn't it? Quite common on those coolers in particular, because it's an optical illusion!
    I felt a bit stupid saying that it turned the other way :) thanks for the clarification

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

Finally pulled the trigger on a €1800 build.

Ryzen 5 5600X
    RTX 3070 - HDMI, DP
    32GB Corsair VENGEANCE DDR4 3200MHz (2 x 16GB)

Case: CORSAIR CRYSTAL SERIES 280X RGB GAMING CASE
    Mobo: Gigabyte B450 I AORUS PRO Wi-Fi AC (DDR4, USB 3.1, 6Gb/s)
    Storage: 128GB M.2 SSD (1000 MB/R, 600 MB/W)

And will add my current OS SSD. Will be tight on storage so only a couple of games at a time. Have at it... give me buyers remourse :pac: I went from wanting a 6700XT, 3060, 3060 Ti and finally landed on 3700 due to supply and recommendation by the supplier. Haven't dealt with Nvidia drivers in half a decade. Hope I don't have problems but I couldn't resist NVENC.

I actually bought a 5600X, A520M, 1TB nvme, 600W 80+ Modular, 16GB Ram and a basic MSI Mag Ryzen case for about €750.

GPU situation is a pain the balls, but I actually managed to get a Vega 64 with 2 year warranty from CEX for €450.

On the surface that seems utterly stupid, but with some undervolting and tweaking, it's not too far off something like RTX3060, and two year warranty isn't too shabby.

Hopefully I can get a 6800 in due course and sell the Vega on for a good price. But all in all, for about €1,200 I'm happy enough considering the state of the market right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

Ran into a really weird issue today. Haven't played Assetto Corsa Competizione in a while and I usually play it in VR with my Reverb G2 set to 60Hz. Decided to play around with the settings today to get it to run well at 90Hz. The game loads into a race and soon thereafter the PC just powers off instantly.

I can play the same game for hours on end with the reverb set to 60hz and I can play any other VR game I play at either 60 or 90 without issue. And I can play all other games non VR without issue. Cannot for the life of me work out whats up with that game at 90hz.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

Corsair AX760 driving a 6900xt and a 5900x. Was thinking PSU myself but it's not had any issue in any other scenarios.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Pangea wrote:
    I felt a bit stupid saying that it turned the other way thanks for the clarification

Hey, it really looks that way. Kind makes you think about how the mainstream media, and vaccinations are illusions. What else is an illusion?! Illuminati?
    Get Vaccinated you dopes!

• Advertisement

Giblet wrote: »
    Hey, it really looks that way. Kind makes you think about how the mainstream media, and vaccinations are illusions. What else is an illusion?! Illuminati?
    Get Vaccinated you dopes!

I got my first injection over a week ago. Pfizer one.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

My dumb marketing-monkey-addled brain is saying: sell X570 Tomahawk, 2 RAM sticks, Be Quiet 500DX.
    Buy B550 Gaming Edge WiFi & Phanteks P200A to go mini-ITX.

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,910 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    My dumb marketing-monkey-addled brain is saying: sell X570 Tomahawk, 2 RAM sticks, Be Quiet 500DX.
    Buy B550 Gaming Edge WiFi & Phanteks P200A to go mini-ITX.

:pac:

It'll take up more or less the same space on your desk/shelf/floor as your full size system! But yeah, I'm thinking of moving to the P200A as well. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Mr Crispy wrote: »
    It'll take up more or less the same space on your desk/shelf/floor as your full size system! But yeah, I'm thinking of moving to the P200A as well. :D

Aye, because it's on the floor it just makes less sense.

Still kinda want to do it though...

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    Aye, because it's on the floor it just makes less sense.

Still kinda want to do it though...

I hear you. The P200A is kind of like a gateway case to ITX in my mind. Smaller volume than ATX, sure. But you don't have to buy an SFX power supply, or worry about big GPUs etc.

I have an Ncase M1, but I'm thinking of selling it seeing as high end GPUs aren't guaranteed to fit. The Phanteks case wouldn't be a terrible compromise.

I'm getting this yoke soon as I was convinced by a crafty salesman.

-CC-9011137-WW-Gallery-280X-RGB-WHT-01.png

• Registered Users Posts: 21,686 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

I'm getting this yoke soon as I was convinced by a crafty salesman.

-CC-9011137-WW-Gallery-280X-RGB-WHT-01.png

I have one, not a bad case (very easy to build in) but they're quite large in terms of the amount of desk space they take up.

There's a couple of easy mods to help with airflow, remove the top dust filter and raise the glass with a couple of washers, and you can get 680X feet from Corsair too to help the bottom airflow.

I actually replaced the front and top panel with panels from coldzero https://www.coldzero.eu/corsair-280x-replacement-front-window-hexx they're a bit overkill but have helped temps a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,941 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

My wi-fi card (a TP-Link TL-WN881ND) has been acting up more than usual today and I was thinking of replacing it. Even though it appears connected all the time, sometimes it'll refuse to load sites. For some weird reason, opening "Network Connections" and then diagnosing the wi-fi card will fix that. I suspect there might be some DNS shenanigans going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

I got a Corsair Ironclaw mouse about 18 months ago. It was one of the better ones I've had but the mousewheel broke today.

From looking around online, it seems to be a fairly common problem.

I've taken it apart and the mousewheel fits into a hex-shaped slot with a little plastic hex-shaped nubbin. The nubbin broke off. It's a little tiny thing. Not great for a 50 quid mouse.
    You can see what I'm talking about here.

Most of the solutions I've seen involve 3D-printing a new one, which I cannot do.

Anyone have any suggestions? I've thought about trying to super-glue it to the scroll sensor socket but I can't see that holding for long.

• Advertisement

Gbear wrote: »
    I got a Corsair Ironclaw mouse about 18 months ago. It was one of the better ones I've had but the mousewheel broke today.

From looking around online, it seems to be a fairly common problem.

I've taken it apart and the mousewheel fits into a hex-shaped slot with a little plastic hex-shaped nubbin. The nubbin broke off. It's a little tiny thing. Not great for a 50 quid mouse.
    You can see what I'm talking about here.

Most of the solutions I've seen involve 3D-printing a new one, which I cannot do.

Anyone have any suggestions? I've thought about trying to super-glue it to the scroll sensor socket but I can't see that holding for long.

Is it out of warranty?

Advertisement