Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off-Topic Thread V3.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭Aodhan5000

Cryto goes up and down like crazy. IMO the larger miners will ride out the bump, you might see a number of small miners jump and sell used GPU's but the fundamental shortage of 6nm manufacturing facilities required for the current gen GPU's isn't going to change.

Jaguar Land Rover issued profit warnings today because they are going to be hit with the chip shortage affecting manufacturing of vehicles. Samsung , Sony and every other manufacturer needing chips have all said the same.

TSMC - Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Co. who make the 6nm chips are dealing with a water supply issue affecting output and Taiwan itself is now dealing with a Covid outbreak and bringing in lockdowns.

It's very grim TBH

Current gen GPUs are 7/8nm, not 6. Samsung only have themselves to blame I would have thought as they have their own foundries which are being used for ampere chips

• Registered Users Posts: 694 ✭✭✭Confused11811

Aodhan5000 wrote: »
    Current gen GPUs are 7/8nm, not 6. Samsung only have themselves to blame I would have thought as they have their own foundries which are being used for ampere chips

Regardless of 6 or 7 nm, TSMC are the only show in town in seems. Intel's new are GPU's reportedly going to be using TSMC chips along with AMD and Nvidia.

It seems all of the major silicon manufactures are for some reason using TSMC who are having capacity/supply issues....

They ALL put their eggs in one basket and the end user has lost out. I'm just glad I got sorted, I was hopeful of a turn around by mid to end 2021 but I can't see a dramatic improvement in stock levels until mid 2022.

https://www.theverge.com/2021/4/15/22385240/tsmc-chip-shortage-2022-intel-ceo-earnings-graphics-cards-cpus-gpus

• Registered Users Posts: 15,348 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

• Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭Shlippery

Vicxas wrote: »

I'm sure the miners will let the scalpers keep these new LHR gpus. Be interesting to see what the stocks are like.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,648 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Shlippery wrote: »
    I'm sure the miners will let the scalpers keep these new LHR gpus. Be interesting to see what the stocks are like.

I'd put money on the initial few drops of these cards getting snagged by miners regardless, with a view to hoping that someone finds a way around whatever restrictions are placed on them, and if it becomes a case that it's not feasible they'll be sold on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

I'd put money on the initial few drops of these cards getting snagged by miners regardless, with a view to hoping that someone finds a way around whatever restrictions are placed on them, and if it becomes a case that it's not feasible they'll be sold on.

Or nvidia can do "ups" like they did with releasing drivers that unlocked 3060 mining capabilities. Its going to be " ups, I did it again!".

• Registered Users Posts: 694 ✭✭✭Confused11811

Unless the hardware is actually gimped, miners will find a way around it. If it's just a bios/firmware mod it'll be easy to pull the firmware/bios from an Original RTX and the LHR RTX compare differences and re-flash an updated Bios. I suspect this will be the case.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

There may be a temporary relief though, topped with the current China crack-downs. Might be a few more cards in genuine gamers hands over the summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭yoshiktk

As my Ikea chair decided to die on me, after many years spent together, im looking for something "new". Any recommendations? Chair needs to hold my big butt, 150kg, is there any store in Dublin worth visiting? Would prefer to check it before purchase. Ty

• Registered Users Posts: 1,546 ✭✭✭Redfox25

Would you go for another Ikea chair, after so many years together you have seen how they last?

Always herman millar chairs but they are expensive to buy.

https://usedaeronireland.ie/

Enjoy

• Advertisement

Redfox25 wrote: »
    Would you go for another Ikea chair, after so many years together you have seen how they last?

Enjoy

Thing with Ikea is even it was agreat chair, due my a*s getting to big now, it went from comfy to pain in the back. I dont know whether its only my a** or maybe sponge getting weaker due age. Thats why would love to check some chairs in store.
    My first thouhgt was herman, but they over my budget, would like ro spend ideally less than 200€.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Redfox25 wrote: »

Enjoy

There's a lad on Adverts selling Steelcase Leap V1's for 130eur, myself & the dad are happy with our purchases :cool:

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    There's a lad on Adverts selling Steelcase Leap V1's for 130eur, myself & the dad are happy with our purchases :cool:

If I may ask what is Your build type? I did check some office chair which my friend love, hes like 60kg but for me was sitting on needles.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Full dimensions for the OG Leap here, as well as the slightly bigger Leap Plus.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

yoshiktk wrote: »
    If I may ask what is Your build type? I did check some office chair which my friend love, hes like 60kg but for me was sitting on needles.

I weighed that when I was 18 and boxing and working full time on building sites so burned off a lot of calories daily. I now weigh 90kg but not over weight or anything.

yoshiktk wrote: »

5'10", stocky 105kg

Dad's 6'0" and a rotund 110-115kg.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,635 ✭✭✭Inviere

Any recommendations for 120mm case fans? I'm looking to move from x2 140's in the front of my Define R6 to x3 120's, and have no idea what type or brand to go with. The different types get confusing with rpm, static/pressure, air flow....etc.

The case has a solid front panel, and x8 hdds and x2 ssd's in trays behind the from fans (Unraid server)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

Inviere wrote: »
    Any recommendations for 120mm case fans? I'm looking to move from x2 140's in the front of my Define R6 to x3 120's, and have no idea what type or brand to go with. The different types get confusing with rpm, static/pressure, air flow....etc.

The case has a solid front panel, and x8 hdds and x2 ssd's in trays behind the from fans (Unraid server)

Noctua NF A12x25 if money is no object. Thermaltake Toughfan 12 if it is.

Serephucus wrote: »
    Noctua NF A12x25 if money is no object. Thermaltake Toughfan 12 if it is.

€3 difference each between them on Amazon.de

Would the Noctua's be more efficient/silent? Plus I blame you Serephucus...you sent me down the Unraid rabbit hole two years ago!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

Inviere wrote: »
    €3 difference each between them on Amazon.de

Would the Noctua's be more efficient/silent? Plus I blame you Serephucus...you sent me down the Unraid rabbit hole two years ago!

Excellent! Now go buy a load of Unifi gear like the rest of r/homelab! :D

Sounds like the TTs have increased in price a lot. Check this out and then decide.
    https://youtu.be/0WQnWOrJg3s

• Advertisement

Serephucus wrote: »
    Excellent! Now go buy a load of Unifi gear like the rest of r/homelab! :D

Sounds like the TTs have increased in price a lot. Check this out and then decide.
    https://youtu.be/0WQnWOrJg3s

I've just added a second 14TB as Parity 2 (rebuilding as we speak), I've also just added another 8TB to my cold backup pool, and I've got a new Samsung SSD here to add as a second cache drive (when the new Evga Psu sata cables arrive from the US!)....i am DONE spending on this server for now!

......x3 Noctua's ordered there. Many thanks Serephucus :)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

The RTX discussion on how often you upgrade had me thinking my GPU history, really feel like a bit of a money waster.

I had a Radeon Pro 9600 at some point, and then something else, cant remember, but after that:
    8500GT
    Radeon 3650 HD
    9800gt (still have, not sure why)
    GTX 280
    GTX 295x2
    GTX 570
    R9 280x
    1060(still have, in a plex server atm)
    1660 (still have)
    5700xt

• Registered Users Posts: 13,984 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

In fairness, graphics tech moved fast and saw serious improvements over previous generations in the past.

The leap from a 9600 to a x800 to a x1800 and so on was huge.

Now, its really diminishing returns. Its hard to tell the difference when you lower graphics settings, screens don't really need to scale past 1440p type resolutions. And the really successful games will run on a potato.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Can someone clarfiy something I have an older motherboard with spare USB 3.1 Gen 2 headers I can add a USB C header/port to it but will only get 10Gbps transfer speed?

Was just given a USB 2TB SSD

• Registered Users Posts: 21,648 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

dreamers75 wrote: »
    Can someone clarfiy something I have an older motherboard with spare USB 3.1 Gen 2 headers I can add a USB C header/port to it but will only get 10Gbps transfer speed?

Was just given a USB 2TB SSD

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B086MRDQFY/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_awdb_imm_KNC23E7SWX67F91HATG8?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Something like that should do the job I think

• Registered Users Posts: 15,348 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Can anyone tell me if theres a market for old gaming PC's.

It has a 3570k and a GTX970 and 8GB of ram. Im not sure if its any use to anyone, or its just too old.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭Homelander

It would still sell for a few hundred. It wouldn't be good for the latest AAA games or looking towards upcoming big games but for people who play Fortnite, Apex, Overwatch, Valorant, and similar type popular games it's still a great machine.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

https://www.adverts.ie/for-sale/q_GAMING+PC/

Some people seem to be interested at least. Doubt it'll be a very quick sale though.

In fairness, graphics tech moved fast and saw serious improvements over previous generations in the past.

The leap from a 9600 to a x800 to a x1800 and so on was huge.

Now, its really diminishing returns. Its hard to tell the difference when you lower graphics settings, screens don't really need to scale past 1440p type resolutions. And the really successful games will run on a potato.

The difference is still huge once you go past 1080p & remove the CPU as bottleneck.

At 4K highest settings, a sub-300 card will struggle to give 30fps while the newest flagships blaze past 100fps.

I have a 2070 Super (decent, overpriced mid-ranger) but with my 3840x1600 UW I have to turn settings down just get past 60fps in demanding titles (e.g. Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order, Monster Hunter World) - yet my monitor is capable of 120Hz refresh rate!

Also, I'd say the "successful" games are successful BECAUSE they run on potatoes; however they're doing little to advance graphics tech due to it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

My old 5700 XT isn't half as good as my 6900 XT and I gamed at 4K with both. I had to get a new 120Hz 4k Tv as playing on my old 60Hz 4k tv was a waste with the 6900 XT.

Well I actually got the Tv first but was planned around getting a 6800 XT but stock issues etc.. so I picked up a 6900 XT in the end.

Advertisement