Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off-Topic Thread V3.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭Aodhan5000

I mean if you look at the selling personal pc gear thread, fella trying to get €350 for a low profile gtx 1650. Shameless

• Registered Users Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

Aodhan5000 wrote:
    I mean if you look at the selling personal pc gear thread, fella trying to get €350 for a low profile gtx 1650. Shameless

I thought it was a mistake in the pricing! He only joined here to post it to.

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭MidlanderMan

anyone have any recomendations for a set of 120mm RGB case fans that come with a hub? Building an iTX system (1600AF, RX 460, 16gb ram) for a media centre and wouldn't mind having some RGB in there because, why the fook not?

Case holds 4 fans (NZXT H200) so a pack of 4 would be great, everything seems to come in packs of 3, 5, or 6?!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭Calibos

Aodhan5000 wrote: »

Someone got €450 for a Palit GTX1080. I have the same card about to sell and would have been happy with €450. Checked back and that card by that seller is relisted because buyer said it was crashing. Seller said he fully tested it again and it was perfectly fine. Looks like someone told the buyer they over paid with GPU prices potentially starting their ride back down and they made up some BS about the card crashing in order to get their money back.

I’d be prepared to let mine go for a bit less to a boardsie but on adverts I’d be trying to get as much for the card as I can because of timewasters like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,648 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

anyone have any recomendations for a set of 120mm RGB case fans that come with a hub? Building an iTX system (1600AF, RX 460, 16gb ram) for a media centre and wouldn't mind having some RGB in there because, why the fook not?

Case holds 4 fans (NZXT H200) so a pack of 4 would be great, everything seems to come in packs of 3, 5, or 6?!

Deepcool rf120 are cheap enough and do the job

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

You could get Scythe Kaze Flex RGB fans.

Readily available for 10-12 EUR and you can daisy-chain the RGB connectors (12V, 4-pin) so all you'd need is a PWM fan hub which costs around 7 EUR.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,635 ✭✭✭Inviere

Calibos wrote: »
    Someone got €450 for a Palit GTX1080. I have the same card about to sell and would have been happy with €450. Checked back and that card by that seller is relisted because buyer said it was crashing. Seller said he fully tested it again and it was perfectly fine. Looks like someone told the buyer they over paid with GPU prices potentially starting their ride back down and they made up some BS about the card crashing in order to get their money back.

I’d be prepared to let mine go for a bit less to a boardsie but on adverts I’d be trying to get as much for the card as I can because of timewasters like that.

Plus by passing a card on at a moral price, you risk someone buying it to resell/scalp anyway, so you're half forced to price high when selling. Unless you know who's buying it is decent, then you risk lining the pockets of a scalper.

Inviere wrote: »
    Plus by passing a card on at a moral price, you risk someone buying it to resell/scalp anyway, so you're half forced to price high when selling. Unless you know who's buying it is decent, then you risk lining the pockets of a scalper.

To be fair most scalpers are fairly obvious, just look at their other ads

Anyone have experience with the Razer Seiren X? Need to pick up a mic anyway and it's only 50 quid on prime. I've heard negative reviews on it when in relation to its full price but 50 euro is half nothing

Anyone have experience with the Razer Seiren X? Need to pick up a mic anyway and it's only 50 quid on prime. I've heard negative reviews on it when in relation to its full price but 60 euro is half nothing

I got one a few weeks ago actually when it was on sale, it's grand to be honest. Don't use it for anything fancy just work calls and games and haven't had any complaints, seems to be pretty clear quality wise, picked up a cheap pop filter and boom arm for it too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

Anyone have experience with the Razer Seiren X? Need to pick up a mic anyway and it's only 50 quid on prime. I've heard negative reviews on it when in relation to its full price but 50 euro is half nothing
    It seemed like a nice budget option but in the end I went with hyper x solocast and am pretty happy with it for a USB mic.

Left it too late, out of stock now. Bollox me and my caution

Ended picking up this pack of 3 fans + 1 single fan.

Decent price for 4 RGB fans and a hub/controller.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B08P43S5RB?ref=ppx_pt2_mob_b_prod_image

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Ended picking up this pack of 3 fans + 1 single fan.

Decent price for 4 RGB fans and a hub/controller.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B08P43S5RB?ref=ppx_pt2_mob_b_prod_image

I've had a great experience with those cheaper unknown named brand fans.

I've had a great experience with those cheaper unknown named brand fans.

I got them on a prime day deal yesterday so paid about the same for the 3 pack and the extra as the 3 pack alone is priced today. Not huge savings but all in for about 34 yo-yos isn't horrible.

I got them on a prime day deal yesterday so paid about the same for the 3 pack and the extra as the 3 pack alone is priced today. Not huge savings but all in for about 34 yo-yos isn't horrible.

Controller alone is probably worth a score or so and looks like it's universal too. Much cleaner than daisy chaining RGB connectors

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Tin Man

Does anyone know any good places in Dublin to buy a HDMI 2.1 cable?

Most online shops seem to call them 8k or ultra high speed cables. I'll go through Amazon if I have to but I'd just prefer to walk up to a shop before the weekend and buy one.

I expect the flood of cheap GPU's to start from AliExpress and spreading to Europe and the US in the next 2-3 weeks or so.

Chinese market already getting flooded following crackdowns, and crypto in general is still falling.

Gonna be a lot of salty scalpers/miners trying to flog them quickly on adverts soon, don't pay over MSRP, hold out and make sure they lose their bollocks on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,984 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Tin Man wrote: »
    Does anyone know any good places in Dublin to buy a HDMI 2.1 cable?

Most online shops seem to call them 8k or ultra high speed cables. I'll go through Amazon if I have to but I'd just prefer to walk up to a shop before the weekend and buy one.

https://powercity.ie/product/304172

Cable just has to be rated for 48Gbps to be honest. A lot of smaller cables could probably already do it. God help you if your trying for longer lengths.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Tin Man

https://powercity.ie/product/304172

Cable just has to be rated for 48Gbps to be honest. A lot of smaller cables could probably already do it. God help you if your trying for longer lengths.

Oh that is perfect, thanks. The only one I could find that looked like it would be compatible in Argos was €70

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭iLikeWaffles

1 TB Samsung SSD's under €100 now, say there will be good deals come November. Was nearly going to get one yesterday but can probably hold out a bit longer for the larger size to come down in price also.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

1 TB Samsung SSD's under €100 now, say there will be good deals come November. Was nearly going to get one yesterday but can probably hold out a bit longer for the larger size to come down in price also.

There were 4Tb Samsung QVO drives for €290 during Prime Day, I was tempted.

Going a bit crazy looking at monitors here, is it just me or is there NOTHING that hits all the marks short of an LGCX? Here's what I need:

28/32"
    16:9 but am open to ultrawide too
    120/144Hz
    Vrr (gsync ideally given the gpu will be nvidia)
    Hdr600 minimum
    HDMI 2.1 port
    Display port 1.4

I can get close to matching the requirements, but usually there's a key feature missing like hdmi 2.0 only, or what appears to be a lacklustre hdr400 certification. Has anyone any idea where I might look, to pair with a Ryzen 5900/3080Ti machine (with options for Xbox series x and a ps5)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

HDR is pointless without full array backlighting for LCD or alternatively Oled so I wouldn't let that bother me. HDR 400 and HDR 600 are equally useless.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

BloodBath wrote: »
    HDR is pointless without full array backlighting for LCD or alternatively Oled so I wouldn't let that bother me. HDR 400 and HDR 600 are equally useless.

+1 was just about to post something similar. Hardware Unboxed does some good coverage of HDR and what to look out for.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

You will also struggle to find ones with g-sync modules.

It's a pricey unit that limits sales of monitors so most manufacturers don't bother with them anymore.

Free-sync works with Nvidia cards now anyway.

The LG 27GN950-B is probably your best bet but it ain't cheap and is still missing the HDMI 2.1.

There's supposed to be some new models coming out this year that should be reasonably cheaper.

The LG GP950 being the one to go for maybe, has HDR600 and HDMI 2.1.

Link

BloodBath wrote: »

Fair point. FALD equally jacks the price up to silly levels in the monitor space (see the €3k+ RoG PG32UQX which STILL uses hdmi 2.0 to boot). I was hoping hdr600 would at least be serviceable, but seemingly even the LG GP950 linked above has a paltry 16 dimming zones (16!!), which puts hdr at these levels firmly into gimmick territory.

Anything IPS and edgelit just seems a no-go for contrast and black levels.

Sigh, I dunno, maybe I'll wait and see what happens later in the year or next year. The LG CX still screams perfect to me, it's just too damned big, and the burn in fear is there a little too.

Thanks guys

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Inviere wrote: »
    Fair point. FALD equally jacks the price up to silly levels in the monitor space (see the €3k+ RoG PG32UQX which STILL uses hdmi 2.0 to boot). I was hoping hdr600 would at least be serviceable, but seemingly even the LG GP950 linked above has a paltry 16 dimming zones (16!!), which puts hdr at these levels firmly into gimmick territory.

Anything IPS and edgelit just seems a no-go for contrast and black levels.

Sigh, I dunno, maybe I'll wait and see what happens later in the year or next year. The LG CX still screams perfect to me, it's just too damned big, and the burn in fear is there a little too.

Thanks guys

Yea 48 inches is massive to use as a full time monitor. I have a 49 inch tv and 24 inch monitor and swap to TV while gaming.

Dell released a new 144hz VA 34 inch ultrawide, https://www.dell.com/en-ie/shop/dell-34-curved-gaming-monitor-s3422dwg/apd/210-azze/monitors-monitor-accessories, I'm mighty tempted to grab it and sell on my Samsung SJ55W as the flat screen is a bit of a pain in some games and it only overclocks to 85hz.

Worth a punt or does anyone know of any other comparable monitors for in and around 500 quid? Ideally would just get the Alienware 38 inch but can't bring myself to splurge on it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,609 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Advertisement