Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off-Topic Thread V3.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,986 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Supposedly there is a 50th anniversary 2700X to be released. I do not know how true it is or how it differs from the standard 2700X.

They did that before with the Phenoms, its usually just a highly binned chip.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

They did that before with the Phenoms, its usually just a highly binned chip.

I don't understand those last 2 pics - did they crack the CPU in half?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    I don't understand those last 2 pics - did they crack the CPU in half?

No, they ripped the socket off.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,638 ✭✭✭Inviere

EoinHef wrote: »
    EDIT: Seems they want to say that my warranty is with manufacturer. I could push but ive created a ticket with corsair so ill just see how that goes. Least ive still got one usable 8gb stick

I hate that bs, consumer law says otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Interesting video from Jim over at AdoredTV on YouTube.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Inviere wrote: »
    I hate that bs, consumer law says otherwise.

100% right,in this instance corsair have been ok to deal with,a replacement is on the way already so ill let it go.

But it is annoying,as a consumer i shouldnt have to be quoting consumer rights to a retailer,it should be a known quantity.

• Site Banned Posts: 328 ✭✭ogsjw

Anyone used An Post's Address Pal for getting stuff from the US or UK that doesn't ship here? What were your experiences? Seems good for building.

ogsjw wrote: »
    Anyone used An Post's Address Pal for getting stuff from the US or UK that doesn't ship here? What were your experiences? Seems good for building.

I used them from UK many times but make sure you enter the correct address more specifically the first line with the letters and numbers as that is how they know it is you.

Cheers. What browser extensions etc. are people using these days for alerts, deals, things like that for components that we can get delivered here either through normal means or addresspal?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭will56

Cheers. What browser extensions etc. are people using these days for alerts, deals, things like that for components that we can get delivered here either through normal means or addresspal?

3 Camels on Amazon is useful
    Setting alerts on HUKD as well

• Advertisement

Cheers lads, now lets get a 3700X/Radeon VII rig built for 400 delivered eh :D

RGB = actually bad :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭L

K.O.Kiki wrote: »

RGB = actually bad :pac:

That is hilarious.

The anandtech article he mentioned has a great description of just how bad this design is:
    The LED lighting on the Kingston HyperX Fury RGB SSD drives up the price of this SATA SSD to NVMe levels and draws enough power to make the drive more prone to overheating than almost any M.2 NVMe SSD out there—and we tested with only one of the three color channels illuminated! Kingston's design for this drive uses probably twice as many LEDs as necessary to provide the backlit logo and narrow highlights, though a lot of light is blocked as it passes through the translucent plastic diffuser sheet and metal grating.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭Xenoronin

I had a good laugh at this. I love my RGB bits and pieces (even you, randomly A & D key malfunctioning Blackwidow) but to turn your SSD into a hotplate and not catch it in testing, is amazing.
    It also led me to another video on a guy testing a 500W LED, which was pretty cool. Needed a hefty heatsink to stop it destroying itself.

RGB SSD's are a bit daft in fairness, as are PSUs.

Everything else is pretty good, we all pretend to hate it but a decent number order RGB parts anyway :P They're good for controlling an aesthetic of a rig, I would imagine most don't leave it on unicorn puke.

I hope infinity mirrors like the NZXT AIO are the next fad personally, up that bling even more haha.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

The value of those currencies still hasn't remotely recovered. Not worth mining at all.

*But do go for a high-ish end air cooler.

I completely agree with the video's premise, I've been an advocate of the simplicity, peace of mind and results of air cooling for about the last five years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Haven't watched the video but I've also been the same. AIO water cooling is more or less a waste of time unless you're operating in extremely tight spaces in a small case. 90% of builds with water coolers don't need it, doesn't offer better performance than an air cooler of a similar or lower price. It's more of a bling factor.

Water cooling for GPUs on the other hand should be the standard for anything over €400.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I would also argue that point in fairness. Unless you're pushing mammoth overclocks or using a craptacular air cooler, there really isn't any reason, which would cover pretty much 90% of GPUs if not more. Whatever about CPU AIO's, which are pretty uncomplicated and accessible regardless of how you feel about their effectiveness, GPU watercooling is extremely niche.

I do not miss my AIO 770. Coil whine was ****e. And that was an issue on the first Fury's too.

I do not miss my AIO 770. Coil whine was ****e. And that was an issue on the first Fury's too.

My Fury X had no coil whine. This topic just got me remembering about that card. My Vega 56 is not too bad but if you want to overclock to the limit you have to crank the fan speed up though and you can hear it then. I don't know if a water cooled card would help in that case and then as was mentioned if it's not a fan annoying you the pump or coil whine would it's all about preference.

Watercooling really helps with current gen cards.
    Nvidia cards turbo-boost for as long as they can stay under a set limit (65C iirc), and watercooling usually keeps the core at 50-55.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭Squaredude

I just upgraded my motherboard and cpu, watercoolong is a pain when it comes to upgrading parts.

So 16Gb DDR4 is finally down to €100 again.
    Debating whether or not I should get that for quad-channel, or more SSD storage.

Does your chipset support quad channel? Or you need more RAM for editing etc.

Does your chipset support quad channel? Or you need more RAM for editing etc.

X99 so yes, supports quad.

But do I need it... no? :pac:

Could also get 32Gb (2x16) for €150 & sell the current sticks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,965 ✭✭✭mp3guy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭Xenoronin

Yeesh, that spec sheet is insane.
    LG released a similar monitor based on Nano IPS recently, which TFTCentral reviewed: https://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/lg_34gk950f.htm
    I can imagine that the outcomes will be similar.

Advertisement