Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off-Topic Thread V3.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,965 ✭✭✭mp3guy

Going back to air cooling after a few years on AIO's. It seems i'm sensitive to pump noise.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,986 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Going back to air cooling after a few years on AIO's. It seems i'm sensitive to pump noise.

Same here, there is no need for it. A big beefy air cooler is just better.

I went for the Dark Rock 4. Was considering the Pro version but i'm hoping there's only a couple of degrees in the difference. I only mildly OC so heat shouldn't be too much of an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Got a used Steelseries Rival 310 for super cheap, seems like a great mouse - might even replace my G305!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭will56

Agree, changed out my AIO and the overall sound is much nicer now without the pump noise

No difference in temps either, well nothing major anyway

Well I just wasted a bit of money.
    Bought a used case that was advertised as "dusty and needs a clean."

It's f*cking smoker's dirt.
    €35 down the drain.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,042 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    Well I just wasted a bit of money.
    Bought a used case that was advertised as "dusty and needs a clean."

It's f*cking smoker's dirt.
    €35 down the drain.

Can you not clean it?

TitianGerm wrote: »
    Can you not clean it?

No, there's foam pads & crevices which are impossible to get into.
    Even the USB ports (described as "not working") are just CAKED in tar.

And like a numpty, I Paypal'd as a gift instead of service :rolleyes:

No, there's foam pads & crevices which are impossible to get into.
    Even the USB ports (described as "not working") are just CAKED in tar.

And like a numpty, I Paypal'd as a gift instead of service :rolleyes:

How does something get that bad :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,915 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

You didn't buy it off a Mrs McDonald from Philadelphia, did you?

How does something get that bad :eek:

I don't even wanna know...

Just going to bite the bullet and get a nice, NEW silence-focused case.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭Redfox25

I don't even wanna know...

Just going to bite the bullet and get a nice, NEW silence-focused case.

Sell it on adverts as a smokers dream case.
    Stick it up for 50 and see how you get on :)

LOL
    I got it delivered for less but I guess I can maaaaybe break even after cleaning.

Decided to treat myself to a nice NEW white Fractal Design R6 instead.

LOL
    I got it delivered for less but I guess I can maaaaybe break even after cleaning.

Decided to treat myself to a nice NEW white Fractal Design R6 instead.

By cleaning it, your removing the smokers special properties from it KO.
    :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

Pics or it didn't happen!
    Apple voids warranties of smoker's computers. I can see why having seen pics online, but I haven't ever had the pleasure to personally work on such a nice system.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

That is proper rank. You'd have to be puffing away like an absolute chimney all day for years for that sort of residue to build up.

I've seen one or two PC's like that, but they were extremely heavy smokers. Talking 40-60 a day in front of the PC type.

Just smoking occasionally/lightly around a PC won't do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭EoinHef

A friends brother gave me the worst PC i have ever seen,was a smoker. The PC was also kept on carpet. Anywhere air could get in was totally clogged with dust and bits of carpet which had turned yellow over time. And i mean this stuff was packed in there tight,was disgusting:(

I just told him i refuse to work on that and he was better of junking it. Got him a replacement on adverts light years ahead of where he was for €300.

He put the new PC back in the exact same spot even after i told him not too.....smh:(

As an aside,im a smoker,just replaced my last case there after 6 years. Proper filters and periodic clean outs and you should have zero issues really.

Just installed the Dark Rock 4 in the P600S. No more pump noise. So much quieter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,877 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

That should come with NSFW tags!

WTF. Was he using the USB ports to put fags out :eek:

WTF. Was he using the USB ports to put fags out :eek:

Was just thinking that

Or else he was blowing the cigarette smoke into the waiting fan and into the system.
    I feel for you KO, be sure and wear gloves, enough nicotene in there to cause allergies on your skin.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

100% agree. Air coolers can cool just as well, the big name brands last forever and can be reused build after build after build, zero risks of leaks, are so much quieter and look better imho.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Iv'e seen plently of the old cream coloured case's get yellowed from smoke in my time, but those ports are a first :eek:

Ugh just realised something else.

It's a Define R3, not an R4 as advertised.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

Ew... I wonder would a pressure hose be suitable for moving some of that crap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Just saw the original ad on Adverts and the hard drive cages are so nicotine stained they almost look like this were in a house fire. I'm not joking when I say you'd want to be smoking 100 a day and blowing the smoke directly into the intake to get that sort of condition.

What can you do with that except throw it in the bin. Rank. I feel unclean even looking at the photos!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

I just seen the ad now. It did look clean in the sellers pictures. What someone is selling a case in the condition he sold it to you in is a bit of a odd one. That case is fit for a scrap heap. Or as someone said power wash it. Don't bother connecting any usb connections up for a long time until they dry out fully same goes for power button.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,751 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Just saw the original ad on Adverts and the hard drive cages are so nicotine stained they almost look like this were in a house fire. I'm not joking when I say you'd want to be smoking 100 a day and blowing the smoke directly into the intake to get that sort of condition.

What can you do with that except throw it in the bin. Rank. I feel unclean even looking at the photos!

Has to be more than cigarette smoke going on there. If his PC looked like that because of a smoking habit, he could leave his lungs to the national roads authority and save them a fair bit on re-surfacing the N11. The minf boggles!

Advertisement