Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off-Topic Thread V3.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭jebidiah

Successfully installed a 5800x3d in my rig! Updated the BIOS on my Gigabyte AB350M with few issues and the PC is posting and playing games just fine.

Wondering if there is any particular things I should do in terms of software or firmware to get the best out of this chip?

Also have a 6900xt on the way 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭jonski

Is a 850w psu gonna be enough for a i5 13600 & 3080 with no other parts outside of a standard build ie: few ssd's & one or two M.2's standard cooling and no rbg's :) ?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭Jon Doe

That's a lot of hardware for such a tiny board! What's the RAM speed? No issues in getting the RAM to run at XMP speeds?

Yeah, there was a lot of discussion on thr Reddit for it's older brother the ATX sized board.

Memory is 3000 MHz CL16 which isn't the fastest but its running on its XMP profile.

I've only done some basic testing to try and compare to other people's results. It seems to match well to what others are seeing out of the box. I.e. a 13000-14000 Cinebench score and boosts on all cores to 4.45 GHz.

I've done quite a few passes of cinebench R23 and had a decent session of MW2 last night and there were no crashes.

I might look into PBO2 Tuner, which I think undervolts the chip so that it can boost more consistently to it's higher frequencies.

• Advertisement

Who do people watch on youtube from the UK for the likes of what GN or Hardware unboxed do . Just to get an idea of prices around our little patch of the planet ?

Also , any idea when we might see B760 or H710 boards ?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Lads. I have ossie with my pc. It started this morning by just going straight to bios, can't pass it at all. At one point I got a glimpse of error on black screen: No media present error.

I open it up, took out ssd, put it back in. And after it just started 5 short beeps and not even signal to monitor.

Took out ram, put it back in, cmos battery, gpu too. Nothing.

Took to local place to do part check, as I have nothing to replace parts to check what is dead, what is not. Got pc back, was told ssd fried and got another in. And that gpu is acting weird. They took it out, sprayed contacts and put it back in. It worked. So I came pick up my pc. All happy and out.

Got back home looking forwatd to throw fresh windows on it and same old 5 beeps greeted me! Called your man back and he told me to take out gpu and put ir back in again, but it obviously did not work. So I am going back tomorrow to him as he is pretty sure gpu is cooked! When you start pc, lights come on and fans spin on gpu with no issues. I tried to start pc without gpu and I got same 5 beeps, instead any other code.

Anyway, any ideas around this? I already had a crap week and this just a cherry on the top hehe.

Edit: I check on motherboard bios error LEDs and I get solid light on on VGA. So might be gpu after all so?

Post edited by ShadowHearth on

Update. Took it back to the shop and pc fired up with no issues...

Brought it back home and I got same 5 beeps. So I took out of attic old monitor and connected it to pc and to my surprise it works perfectly. Using same display cable too.

For some reason my monitor is causing this issue?

So me again, I installed windows and pc works fine. Tried to connect my main monitor while pc is running and no luck. No signal. My old ultrawide monitor is booked I guess. So I am on old Dell 24inch one. At least its IPS panel.

Trying to see a cheaper ultrawode monitor, but looks like it's still about 600eu, though a lot of them are now 144hz? That's pretty cool.

How much are 27inch 144hz monitors these days? Any suggestion on lower budget? Places to look for? As I am still not sure where to buy stuff after Brexit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 913 ✭✭✭buzzerxx

Mikes unboxing. Focuses on value for money tech.

So I've never seen that Skinflint link before ....................... and now I've lost an entire afternoon .

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

ditto, i knew about geizhals.de but most sites on that wont deliver to ireland, skintflint seems uk based so maybe its better

I picked up in Harvey Norman Acer 31.5inch 1440p 165hz yolk. It was 369eu. I overplayed, I Know, but I got it right away.

I already miss ultrawide, but 165hz is not bad. Though I know for sure, that I still stand by my words of old days ( as it was a choice back then lol, you could not get 144hz ultrawides ), that Ultrawide > 120hz+. Its nice to have though.

Monitor itself is pretty good. I am impressed. It being a bit bigger ( technically its smaller then my ultrawide, but center viewing is bigger ) helps a lot in Warthunder and Tarkov. I can actually see more crap. On top of that, I have enough space to put my old 24inch monitor in portrait mode as second monitor.

Funny thing is. If I have only new monitor connected, it goes to 5 beeps, but keeps booting up like normal. Just monitor itself takes time to show stuff on screen, usually it comes to life when Windows title screen pops up. But if I have old 24inch monitor connected, it has no beeps and loads of normally. New monitor still takes its time. Weird issue anyway.

LOL... sorry to hear that. It was not my intention... :P

Do they reverse behavior when you plug each of them to the other's graphics port?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

I used to watch this guy but stopped as I do not follow much tech channels anymore. I found him good when i did watch.

Has anyone made the switch to Windows 11 yet?

I'm on it since release. No issues if that's what you are wondering.

I've a weird one. My system has been stable for years but I was just watching Netflix about an hour ago and I started noticing the sound was crackling and thought it was my headphones and then after a few minutes my system shut down. Started it back up and watched the rest of the 18 odd minutes of the show without issues. I was then on the internet as I do and my PC restarted after about 10-15 minutes after I finished watch the Netflix Show. At the minute now I have hwinfo running to keep an eye on temps to see if it is a temp issue. Odd one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,113 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

In the morning received mail from Amz.uk stating they refund "Import fee deposit" - ignored as scam

few hours later another message, looked closer - it has correct item listed, checked Amz history - refunds for purchases from 2021

Not complaining, just pleasantly surprised...

• Registered Users Posts: 54,162 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

• Registered Users Posts: 4,113 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

yeah, amount wary, got another 0.7 off from ~€32 fee for more expensive item - no idea

• Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭BArra

same got a 0.30 import duty refund on an item, it might be their accounts team are closing out things for end of year

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭minitrue

I've had a few over the last few years, got one this morning for £57.11 from an item ordered at the end of August 2021. I guess they did some sort of reconciliation processing.

It's certainly happened often enough for me and on enough decent value items that I certainly feel like I've made out like a bandit, especially when a few of the bigger value ones have been with Amazon Warehouse items where I already thought I was getting a bargain before the tax refund, today's meant a like new item ended up half price.

This hasn't happened since. I was monitoring it yesterday but said today if it shuts down it shuts down which it hasn't. I still have no idea what caused those two shutdowns. My system was stable for years and months with the 1900MHz IF and pretty tight timings for 3800MHz GDM off.

Maybe the ghost of Christmas past was trying to contact me.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,634 ✭✭✭Inviere

Hi all,

I'm getting bogged down in choosing a motherboard for a 13700k. The system will be used for gaming predominantly, and the ram has been purchased already (DDR5). From what I've learned so far, the below are three good boards...but as I say I'm getting bogged down in specifics, and would appreciate some tips. I think B760's are due soon too, might it be best to wait?

MSI Pro Z790-A

Gigabyte Aorus Z690 Elite AX

Asus Prime Z790-A

I know I could go with B660 boards, but I'm leaning towards a Z-series chipset because I don't want to be hamstrung or bottlenecked (the build will be all m.2 based, ddr5, and so on.) Maybe though a 660 is fine? I dunno....help 🤪

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭Homelander

Looking to offload a secondary machine. It's decent enough, just don't need it anymore. Ryzen 2400G, 16GB, 3060Ti.

I'm thinking 700 in reasonable terms?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

Anyone bought anything from OCUK ex VAT and paid the VAT here on delivery? Just wondering if there were no surprises and the amount charged on delivery was as expected. Ie 23% vat only and no import charges as should be the case with computer components.

• Advertisement

Are you not charged import charges on computer components?

Advertisement