Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off-Topic Thread V3.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,798 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

I will take a wild guess and assume Misky you and OSI have a Samsung NVMe, probably a pro version.

AffectionateObeseBlacklab-small.gif

970 Evo, not pro, for me at least. Only have it since January.

Enjoy your new SSD :)

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Im a 950 Pro pleb.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Bought a WD Blue myself recently,must bench it and see.

Just for gaming though so dont think the premium for the samsung drives is worth it for me. Or least it wasnt when i bought,i know the prices have taken a big tumble the last few weeks,almost afraid to look now:P

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Yeah biggest reason I found to use NVMe is that Steam will actually hit 10GB/s+ downloads on that drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭superneat

Well lads, what would be a fair price to sell the following combo?
    All boxed and well cared for.
    Intel core i5 8400
    Gigabyte B360N WiFi ITX board
    2 X 8GB Vengeance 2400mhz ram

I'm looking at upgrading the core of my pc to a Ryzen 7 2700x combo, or equivalent 3 series depending on what way that release goes, so want to sell these first but need an idea of what to expect for them?
    Cheers!

• Advertisement

60-70% of new price I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭superneat

Cheers, looks to be about €260 in that case, will throw them on adverts with the VAT added on 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 54,199 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

This is mine

[URL="[img]https://i.imgur.com/bFj4gSr.png[/img]"]bFj4gSr.png[/URL]

Samsung MZ-V7S500BW 970 EVO NVMe SSD

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,575 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Guys, quick question. I noticed today that when I charge my phone on the same extension lead I use for my PC it was charging slowly. When I switched it to my other exention lead which just has the clock radio and one other charger plugged into it and it started charging rapidly. Could I be losing PC performance because of this? I do get an issue where my monitor will very randomly and rarely go black for a few seconds but that's the only thing I've noticed though I did expect slightly better performance in general though it could be that the games I play (Like Total War) are quite CPU-intensive.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

Guys, quick question. I noticed today that when I charge my phone on the same extension lead I use for my PC it was charging slowly. When I switched it to my other exention lead which just has the clock radio and one other charger plugged into it and it started charging rapidly. Could I be losing PC performance because of this? I do get an issue where my monitor will very randomly and rarely go black for a few seconds but that's the only thing I've noticed though I did expect slightly better performance in general though it could be that the games I play (Like Total War) are quite CPU-intensive.

Fast Charging is 15-30W depending on phone.

Mains circuits support almost 3000W. Unless your computer is a MONSTER (triple GPU) theres no way you should be maxing it out. I'd be concerned about the quality of your extension lead.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,575 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

ED E wrote: »
    Fast Charging is 15-30W depending on phone.

Mains circuits support almost 3000W. Unless your computer is a MONSTER (triple GPU) theres no way you should be maxing it out. I'd be concerned about the quality of your extension lead.

Ah right.

No, the PC is fairly standard from what I can tell. Mostly mid-tier stuff on Logical Increments at the time I built it.

I've never really thought about the extension lead before. Didn't think it could be a problem.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 54,199 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

• Registered Users Posts: 7,638 ✭✭✭Inviere

ED E wrote: »
    When you say 2Bay that means you should be RAID1ing and not care about the reliability so much (they're both similar). By asking that question Im worried you're not using any fault tolerance....

Yes as I understand it, they'll be mirrored so x2 10TB drives = 10TB storage with fault tolerance accounted for? I'd still like reliability to be a priority, as I've read reviews of drives failing after mere months. So while such a failure would be within warranty period, and fault tolerance would mean I'd not suffer any data loss, I still don't want the headache of it.

So anyone any advice for Reds v Wolves?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭SickBoy

Inviere wrote: »

So anyone any advice for Reds v Wolves?

Get whichever is cheaper, they're both good drives for NAS.
    I had 4x4tb WD Red for a few years and now have 4x8Tb Ironwolf.
    Down to personal choice really, performance is not an issue in lower end consumer NAS devices.

My case has gone from "will be delivered today" to "oops it's gone walkies, maybe you'll get it by the 28th lol".

Fúck UPS.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,986 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    My case has gone from "will be delivered today" to "oops it's gone walkies, maybe you'll get it by the 28th lol".

Fúck UPS.

ahh Walkies, meaning its slamming around in the back of a empty Van for a few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

K.O.Kiki wrote: »

Fúck UPS.

That's odd, as in my experience the "oh noes, we sent your package to the wrong place" crap tends to only happen if the item is supposed to be delivered on a Friday

Arrived today, thank gods Amazon put the case in a 2nd box - it was practically falling apart (main Fractal box is fine it seems).
    Haven't had a chance to open it up yet.

*edit*

It's f**king GLORIOUS, can't wait to build!

edit2:

https://twitter.com/Count_Kiki/status/1130964582451884032

• Registered Users Posts: 7,638 ✭✭✭Inviere

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭z0oT

Anyone here know of a way to set the AMD driver to produce a desktop if there's no display plugged in? I don't know if there's any standard setting to do so. Trouble is that any remote desktop stuff like VNC is useless as a result, I have to plug in a monitor to get anything working.

I just built a Ryzen 3 2200G system for a Plex/File server that I want to run headless, but that's the one issue I'm having.

I could use the generic Microsoft drivers but they limit the resolution to 1024x768.

I can always shove a few 75 ohm resistors into the VGA port to fool the driver that there's a display there but that's not exactly elegant. :P

• Advertisement

This is a photo of what I mean with the resistors. It works well enough.

481082.png

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Just stay like that so.

Just looking at that pic further you would want to wrap insulating tape around those resistor legs as they can short to ground very easily.

OSI wrote: »
    That seems strange, I have a headless Windows PC here that has no problem producing a desktop with RDP when called upon to do so.
    My old server which was an AMD AM1 system with an Athlon 5350 functioned just fine headless.

A weird quirk of the AMD driver I guess. Shame there's no software solution outside of uninstalling the AMD driver entirely.
    Just looking at that pic further you would want to wrap insulating tape around those resistor legs as they can short to ground very easily.
    Shorting to the case (which is grounded) would be the concern. When I get time I'll put something together properly with solder.

I see Jim from the YouTube channel AdoredTV has a website and forum now.

Screw you guys and boarde.ie I'm going to AdoredTV.com :eek:

Haha! Ah no, I might sign up to the site just to see what's, what.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

How cool is something like this? OK, I know it's a grand but power of something like an RX570 in the palm of your hand.

As a LAN machine, or even just a living room gaming PC for a few single player titles....

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,751 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Great fun trying to get Windows 10 onto the new build this weekend and found what I reckon is a bug in the Windows installation. The new PC has two drives, an 8TB hdd which lists as drive 0 and a 1TB M2 drive which lists as drive 1. Installing windows to the M2 drive results in it writing the boot partition to drive 0, which in turn marks it as MBR and preventing conversion to GPT and access to more than 2TB of the 8TB. After an initial install and a failed convert to GPT on the 8TB, I put on minitools pro and tried to get it to convert. It killed the boot partition, failed to convert and left me back at square one. Eventual success involved disconnecting the HDD, installing to the M2 drive, re-connecting the HDD and then converting it to GPT using disk manager. Why the hell Windows doesn't put the boot partition on the boot drive baffles me. Boot order was set correctly in UEFI prior to install so also confused why the M2 came out as drive 1 to start with.

Is there a good place to buy a number of hard drives at a time? Where there would be a discount given for buying multiples of the same drives at once.

I'll be looking for up to 8 10TB NAS drives in the coming months.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

There isn't really such a thing, unfortunately. Discounted HDDs are a thing, but we're talking orders in the tens of thousands.

These things:
    https://www.bestbuy.com/site/wd-easystore-10tb-external-usb-3-0-hard-drive-black/6278208.p?skuId=6278208
    Are the cheapest you'll find. If you're buying that many of them, make a holiday out of it with the savings.

Advertisement