Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off-Topic Thread V3.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,877 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

I'd say they'd need some extra TLC alright (speaking with no experience of owning one).

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Skerries wrote: »
    would those holey mice not just be gunk magnets?

Wash your hands. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,243 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

hmm, may not be worth actually getting the Lian Li case right now, after double checking my own motherboard Z97S SLI Krait Edition doesn't have USB-C compatibility.

Or can I justify upgrading from the i5-4690k I currently have? Would there be a big upgrade in going to a i5-8600K instead?

I'm not committed to Intel, but I just want to be sure if I upgrade I'll get at least another 4-5 years out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭EoinHef

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    Wash your hands. :rolleyes:

Nothing to do with washing your hands,general everyday dust would be enough after awhile.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Sonics2k wrote: »
    hmm, may not be worth actually getting the Lian Li case right now, after double checking my own motherboard Z97S SLI Krait Edition doesn't have USB-C compatibility.

Or can I justify upgrading from the i5-4690k I currently have? Would there be a big upgrade in going to a i5-8600K instead?

I'm not committed to Intel, but I just want to be sure if I upgrade I'll get at least another 4-5 years out of it.

I'd go AMD tbh. Just wait it out till 7th July to pick up a 3000 series Zen 2.

The Ryzen will last a few years but I doubt a 8600 will. Due to no hyperthreading a few cores.

• Advertisement

I'd go AMD tbh. Just wait it out till 7th July to pick up a 3000 series Zen 2.

The Ryzen will last a few years but I doubt a 8600 will. Due to no hyperthreading a few cores.

I hate waiting, but it makes sense! I'll have a proper look then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

The 8600K/9600K is a very major upgrade and it's better than the 2600X for games now (and likely the 3600X too considering their excellent OC ability), but it wouldn't make that much sense really to get one new at this point. The Ryzen 3600X would be a better choice when it's released, especially if you plan keeping it as long as you get the 4690K, as it has 6 core/12 thread versus the 6 core/6 thread of the 8600K and 9600K. That will start to make a significant difference a year or two down the line most likely.

Either way, to be honest, if you're rocking a standard 60hz monitor, getting a 2600 now isn't a bad idea. They're only £139 now, and will be grand for a few years, and you can get a motherboard that will be compatiable with the new 3000 series anyway for peace of mind if you want a boost down the line. Still a massive upgrade on a 4690K. By the time a 2600 is obsolete, you'd probably want a whole new platform anyway to be honest.

In the same way that you could theoretically just upgrade to a 4790K for a very straight forward and pretty decent upgrade now, but you probably just want to get new components, avail of new tech/features, etc.

Intel equivalent to the 2600 is the 9400F and also a good CPU but again over a lifespan of 5-6 years it will very likely fall behind due to the lack of threads. It's why in some games now an i7 from 2011 can give more stable performance than an i5 from 2017, for example.

If your monitor is 120/144hz, I'd probably wait it out for the 3600X or 3700X and see what the lay of the land is when reviews hit.

Sonics2k wrote: »

Meh, it's got 6 regular USB 3.0 ports (2 front/4 rear) so get the case upgrade now if you wish.
    You can always get a motherboard with USB-C later.

I'll be putting a O 11 Dynamic up on Adverts next week if you're interested.

The 8600K/9600K is a very major upgrade and it's better than the 2600X for games now (and likely the 3600X too considering their excellent OC ability), but it wouldn't make that much sense really to get one new at this point. The Ryzen 3600X would be a better choice when it's released, especially if you plan keeping it as long as you get the 4690K, as it has 6 core/12 thread versus the 6 core/6 thread of the 8600K and 9600K. That will start to make a significant difference a year or two down the line most likely.

Either way, to be honest, if you're rocking a standard 60hz monitor, getting a 2600 now isn't a bad idea. They're only £139 now, and will be grand for a few years, and you can get a motherboard that will be compatiable with the new 3000 series anyway for peace of mind if you want a boost down the line. Still a massive upgrade on a 4690K. By the time a 2600 is obsolete, you'd probably want a whole new platform anyway to be honest.

In the same way that you could theoretically just upgrade to a 4790K for a very straight forward and pretty decent upgrade now, but you probably just want to get new components, avail of new tech/features, etc.

Intel equivalent to the 2600 is the 9400F and also a good CPU but again over a lifespan of 5-6 years it will very likely fall behind due to the lack of threads. It's why in some games now an i7 from 2011 can give more stable performance than an i5 from 2017, for example.

If your monitor is 120/144hz, I'd probably wait it out for the 3600X or 3700X and see what the lay of the land is when reviews hit.

Yeah, I'm on Asus PG278Q ROG Swift 27" 1440p monitor.

Given the time-frame, I'm quite happy to hold off for now. It's one of those situations were looking at the parts to upgrade is surprisingly costly for a minor upgrade, compared to getting newer parts.

Frankly I'm astonished at the price of DDR3 RAM these days, I've seen kits more expensive than DDR4 RAM.

I'll straight up admit part of the wanting to upgrade is -largely- based on looks, as frankly as much as I love the NZXT H440 case, I'm looking to spice it up a bit to match the entire new battle-station I built for myself.

Also, also. Realistically I only really play Warcraft and Warcraft: Classic coming up, so it's not as if I'm not already running both of those at above 100fps

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,042 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Anyone see the new NZXT H500i Elite announced at Computex?

https://twitter.com/NZXT/status/1133017794943959045?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭SickBoy

Anyone know where I could source modular cables for a Seasonic G550 (SSR-550RM)?
    I'm looking for SATA x2 and pcie x1.
    Only place I can find them is based in the US and the shipping is rough on the wallet.

Also anyone know if there are compatible PSUs that share similar pin layout? Might be easier to source...

SickBoy wrote: »
    Anyone know where I could source modular cables for a Seasonic G550 (SSR-550RM)?
    I'm looking for SATA x2 and pcie x1.
    Only place I can find them is based in the US and the shipping is rough on the wallet.

Also anyone know if there are compatible PSUs that share similar pin layout? Might be easier to source...

Got this link from an old forum post, cheap enough that shipping should balance out: https://www.btosinte.com/Cables-for-PS2-power-supply_c7.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭minitrue

Anyone know where I might find a sound card with a line out in stock today on the southside of Dublin? All I've found is usb things with only headphone outs and having tried one it's no use going into the sound-system in question :-/ I thought I'd at least found something with a bit of a trek but of course the site was lying and they don't have it in stock :( usb, pci or pci-e should all be fine!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭SickBoy

Got this link from an old forum post, cheap enough that shipping should balance out: https://www.btosinte.com/Cables-for-PS2-power-supply_c7.htm

That's the site I was referring to, shipping is €40 and the cables are €15, almost better off getting a new PSU at that stage :(

minitrue wrote: »
    Anyone know where I might find a sound card with a line out in stock today on the southside of Dublin? All I've found is usb things with only headphone outs and having tried one it's no use going into the sound-system in question :-/ I thought I'd at least found something with a bit of a trek but of course the site was lying and they don't have it in stock :( usb, pci or pci-e should all be fine!

HifiHut in Clondalkin stock the FiiO Q1 Mark II (HifiHut page / FiiO specs page)

They more than likely will just order that in for you. Better off phoning them first to check.

HifiHut in Clondalkin stock the FiiO Q1 Mark II (HifiHut page / FiiO specs page)

Thanks! The price alone makes me puke and it's way too complicated, just having to deal with a 2.5mm jack to actually get a speaker output rather than headphone output would be too much extra pain on top of the price with where it's going :-/

• Advertisement

Thanks! The price alone makes me puke and it's way too complicated, just having to deal with a 2.5mm jack to actually get a speaker output rather than headphone output would be too much extra pain on top of the price with where it's going :-/

They also have the FiiO D03K (product page) for €35 - is that more what you're looking for?

(I'm not 100% sure what your use case is)

They also have the FiiO D03K (product page) for €35 - is that more what you're looking for?

(I'm not 100% sure what your use case is)

That doesn't look useful I'm afraid :( Use case is just a PC with no onboard sound (server) going into a kinda-matrix sound system amplifier. All I want is any sort of sound card with a line out that works with Windows 10. Not headphone out, got a usb device with a headphone out and it distorts horribly when fed through it (at least when it's given compressed to hell modern pop) despite trying everything I could find (e.g. disabling effects, super low volume from PC side, even adding some software to pre-unamp it down).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,965 ✭✭✭mp3guy

If it has to be today I'd just ring around any computer stores you can find, someone is bound to have a 5 year old soundblaster in stock for €70 :(

mp3guy wrote: »
    If it has to be today I'd just ring around any computer stores you can find, someone is bound to have a 5 year old soundblaster in stock for €70 :(

You would think so but nowhere I've tried so far even has that. The €100+ thingy you came up with is the only thing which should in theory work but I can't seem to bring myself to try that! I guess at this point I'm just writing off this weekend and hoping if I order something it will turn up quick enough I'm not ready to kill by this time next week. I've one slow friend hunting and checking with some others who might yet turn something up ... I should have just gone to the dump and seen what I could find to pull out of any old machines :-/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,965 ✭✭✭mp3guy

You would think so but nowhere I've tried so far even has that. The €100+ thingy you came up with is the only thing which should in theory work but I can't seem to bring myself to try that! I guess at this point I'm just writing off this weekend and hoping if I order something it will turn up quick enough I'm not ready to kill by this time next week. I've one slow friend hunting and checking with some others who might yet turn something up ... I should have just gone to the dump and seen what I could find to pull out of any old machines :-/

Loads on adverts in Dublin right now, maybe a quick buy? https://www.adverts.ie/for-sale/q_sound+card/

OSI wrote: »
    Currys (shudder) certainly carry sound cards. Music gear shops would be a good shout as well.

At least their site says nothing actually in stock to collect ... and I just rang to confirm it. If you've any suggestion of a music gear shop I'm all ears!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,638 ✭✭✭Inviere

At least their site says nothing actually in stock to collect ... and I just rang to confirm it. If you've any suggestion of a music gear shop I'm all ears!

Xmusic at the back of the Red Cow? - https://www.xmusic.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭L

Huh. Rumour mill is swirling that Nvidia's going to release cheaper better RTX cards at E3 as a reaction to Navi.

I'm not sure whether this is amusing, horrifying or interesting.

L wrote: »
    Huh. Rumour mill is swirling that Nvidia's going to release cheaper better RTX cards at E3 as a reaction to Navi.

I'm not sure whether this is amusing, horrifying or interesting.

It'd be a kick in the teeth for anyone with a 2060 (released mid-January) but the higher-end SKUs were released in September/October 2018 so I can see them getting a refresh if needed.
    Maybe more RT cores?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭z0oT

Any suggestions on what to do with a really old system?

It's an AMD Phenom II x4 955, 790FX motherboard & 8GB DDR3-1333MHz setup originally built all the way back in 2009. GFX card is a 750 Ti which was a more recent addition.

Running it as some sort of 24/7 server isn't really a runner. It's idle power consumption is enough to add about ~260EUR to the bill over the course of the year, which is over 3X my current server.

It probably won't fetch more than 100EUR to sell it. I can't see there being much demand for it either.

481809.jpg

Advertisement