Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off-Topic Thread V3.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭SickBoy

z0oT wrote: »
    Any suggestions on what to do with a really old system?

It's an AMD Phenom II x4 955, 790FX motherboard & 8GB DDR3-1333MHz setup originally built all the way back in 2009. GFX card is a 750 Ti which was a more recent addition.

Running it as some sort of 24/7 server isn't really a runner. It's idle power consumption is enough to add about ~260EUR to the bill over the course of the year, which is over 3X my current server.

It probably won't fetch more than 100EUR to sell it. I can't see there being much demand for it either.

481809.jpg

What case is that?

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭z0oT

SickBoy wrote: »
    What case is that?
    It's a Coolermaster Centurion 590.

It doesn't even show up on Coolermaster's website anymore. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭L

It's an AMD Phenom II x4 955, 790FX motherboard & 8GB DDR3-1333MHz setup originally built all the way back in 2009. GFX card is a 750 Ti which was a more recent addition.

Running it as some sort of 24/7 server isn't really a runner. It's idle power consumption is enough to add about ~260EUR to the bill over the course of the year, which is over 3X my current server.

It probably won't fetch more than 100EUR to sell it. I can't see there being much demand for it either.

Depends a lot on the motherboard. Do you know the specific model?

At first thought, you could dabble with Wake-On-Lan, and turn it into a glorified NAS (your case looks like it's got plenty of space for drives ;) ). You might need to do some fishing around for drivers though.

Your power consumption shouldn't be as much of an issue then, but it's worth checking how much it's pulling in WOL with a power meter to make sure. Shouldn't be more than a couple of watts anyhow.

The rest depends on the motherboard (number of native sata ports, and whether it has motherboard integrated graphics so you can ditch the gpu).

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

481809.jpg
    Looked up the idle draw, >140W :pac:

I'd just retire the system, it's served its duty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

You should be able to get €200 for it easily on DoneDeal. Pitch it as a machine perfect for playing Fortnite, Warcraft, for example, both of which would run very well, something like Overwatch would run reasonably OK also, many single player games from the past few years would run alright also.

Even sold as parts it would fetch that amount though pain in the ass trying to sell it that way at times. At a bare minimum, be easy shift a 750Ti for €50, mobo/CPU/RAM as a bundle for €60, PSU for €30, and so on.

It's definitely still perfectly functional as a basic games machine/older titles to just consider scrapping it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,553 ✭✭✭savemejebus

Those early Corsair PSUs were great jobs, handy to hold onto as a backup also.

It's also ~13yrs old.
    I'd be worried about the caps at this stage, plus they were only around 80+ Bronze efficiency when new.

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭z0oT

Thanks for the comments. I guess it might be worth trying to sell it. The Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo & the GTX 750Ti would fetch something at least.
    L wrote: »
    Depends a lot on the motherboard. Do you know the specific model?

At first thought, you could dabble with Wake-On-Lan, and turn it into a glorified NAS (your case looks like it's got plenty of space for drives ;) ). You might need to do some fishing around for drivers though.

The rest depends on the motherboard (number of native sata ports, and whether it has motherboard integrated graphics so you can ditch the gpu).
    The motherboard is a Gigabyte GA-MA790FXT-UD5P, it was the flagship AM3 socket motherboard from Gigabyte back around the launch of the Phenom II CPUs. It has 6 SATA ports via the AMD SB750 southbridge and a further 4 from an extra onboard SATA controller, all SATA 2.0 though. It does get a noticable speed up from an SSD aswell (boot times etc.), despite the SATA 2.0 bottleneck.

There's no integrated graphics on the 790FX, the chipset with the graphics back then was the 790GX chipset.

Drivers are a bit of an issue too given its so old. Any flavour of Linux is obviously no problem, but to get Windows 10 running on it I had to install some Windows 10 drivers from newer Gigabyte 990FX AM3+ motherboards.

The idle power usage would be the main issue. My current NAS/server (with a Ryzen 3 2200G) idles at about 35-40W in comparison.

The PSU is one of those re-badged Seasonic PSUs. It had a 7 year warranty aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,243 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Just looking at a bit of a sanity check here folks.

Currently have the Corsair Hydro H100i CPU cooler (model number on the link), and thinking of adding on some RBG fans.

I'm looking at adding on the Corsair LL120 RGB fans, there won't be any issues with compatibility here surely?

Now I just need to decide between the NZXT H500i Elite and Lian Li PC-011 Dynamic.

Sonics2k wrote: »
    Just looking at a bit of a sanity check here folks.

Currently have the Corsair Hydro H100i CPU cooler (model number on the link), and thinking of adding on some RBG fans.

I'm looking at adding on the Corsair LL120 RGB fans, there won't be any issues with compatibility here surely?

Now I just need to decide between the NZXT H500i Elite and Lian Li PC-011 Dynamic.
    https://skinflint.co.uk/?cmp=1502395&cmp=1710064&cmp=1817178&cmp=1965940
    Maybe consider the Thermaltake Riing 12 or Alpenföhn Wing Boost 3?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,243 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    https://skinflint.co.uk/?cmp=1502395&cmp=1710064&cmp=1817178&cmp=1965940
    Maybe consider the Thermaltake Riing 12 or Alpenföhn Wing Boost 3?

Hadn't seen those, I'll check them out.

Either way though, I assume they'll work as normal?

Sonics2k wrote: »
    Hadn't seen those, I'll check them out.

Either way though, I assume they'll work as normal?

Yeah they'll all fit, I'm just thinking in terms of air-pressure.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,419 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭Jilm

In the market for a 750W / 850W PSU.

Any recommendations for a reliable model?

Jilm wrote: »
    In the market for a 750W / 850W PSU.

Any recommendations for a reliable model?

https://skinflint.co.uk/?cat=gehps&bpmax=125&v=e&hloc=uk&filter=update&sort=p&xf=1119_4%7E1248_1000%7E14877_2%7E2825_10%7E360_700%7E4174_ATX
    cheaper:
    https://skinflint.co.uk/?cat=gehps&bpmax=86&v=e&hloc=uk&filter=update&sort=p&xf=1119_4%7E1248_1000%7E14877_2%7E2825_5%7E360_700%7E4174_ATX

Best value IMHO would be Seasonic Focus Plus Gold, or Riotoro Enigma G2 (rebadge of aforementioned).
    10-year warranty so you know they're built like tanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭Jilm

The Seasonic Focus Plus Platinum 750W is just £105.46 on amazon compared to the Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 750W £85.47

Is the platinum model worth it over the gold one?

Gold is more than enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Nibs05

Just a couple of questions, I’m planning a huge upgrade to my exciting 2500K,
    For big orders would you recommend amazon ( about €2000) or overlockers uk (heard scan have customer service issues and good few items not in stock)

Also I can’t decide on cooling a 9700k,

Nh-D15 with jazzy chromax or H115i/H150i

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,965 ✭✭✭mp3guy

Nibs05 wrote: »
    For big orders would you recommend amazon ( about €2000) or overlockers uk (heard scan have customer service issues and good few items not in stock)

Thanks

Made big orders on all three sites at the same time for my last build, no problems with any of them, even when I had to RMA a component.

• Advertisement

mp3guy wrote: »
    Made big orders on all three sites at the same time for my last build, no problems with any of them, even when I had to RMA a component.

Great, thanks for the quick reply, just nervous spending so much lol

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Thanks

I'd go with Amazon. There customer service is excellent. I've never used Overclockers before though.

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭minitrue

Final report on the quest for a soundcard:
    On Sunday I was over at the computer in question and found a box with a new Asus Sonar 7.1 PCI card sitting there ... but luckily I hadn't gone ordering something already. It worked fine.
    mp3guy wrote: »
    If it has to be today I'd just ring around any computer stores you can find, someone is bound to have a 5 year old soundblaster in stock for €70 :(
    Sure enough the person who found it went to a shop in Dun Laoghaire which had a choice between it for about €70 or something else for €40 and of course the fool who didn't bother to let me know they found something was easily upsold by a very happy store owner! It might even have been 49 and 79, honestly I was trying to blank it from my mind the moment I saw them to confirm they had bought it and ask how much they were taken for :p

• Registered Users Posts: 7,638 ✭✭✭Inviere

I'd go with Amazon. There customer service is excellent. I've never used Overclockers before though.

I'd second Amazon, purely for the peace of mind in knowing their customer service is gold standard. I've used OCUK in the past, great service, never had any issues though so can't speak as to how they handle returns.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭Redfox25

Go Amazon for free returns if nothing else, OCUK are good but you will likely have to pay for returns with them or at least thats my experience with them.

Thanks

I'm more questioning why you'd buy a 9700K with Ryzen 3800X releasing in 1 month.

Regarding cooling, if you're replacing the fans get D15S since it has better compatibility & is cheaper.
    Alternatively, love the brown.
    Also consider NH-U14S or NH-C14S.

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    I'm more questioning why you'd buy a 9700K with Ryzen 3800X releasing in 1 month.

Regarding cooling, if you're replacing the fans get D15S since it has better compatibility & is cheaper.
    Alternatively, love the brown.
    Also consider NH-U14S or NH-C14S.

Yeah I’m keeping a eye on Ryzen 3, reason for intel is IPC on flight sims.

Didn’t know about the D15S, I’ll look into that with a 2 fan chromax setup. It’s going in a Meshify C case with Corsair Lpx memory and looks to fit.

Thanks for the reply

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Great, thanks for the quick reply, just nervous spending so much lol

Just spent over 2k with Amazon and had one item to return and replace. Great service with no issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,948 ✭✭✭circadian

Yeah I’m keeping a eye on Ryzen 3, reason for intel is IPC on flight sims.

Didn’t know about the D15S, I’ll look into that with a 2 fan chromax setup. It’s going in a Meshify C case with Corsair Lpx memory and looks to fit.

Thanks for the reply

Not sure intel has much of an advantage over ryzen for flight Sims any more, I'd say if the 3000 series performs as expected then that's where the real value will be.

• Advertisement

circadian wrote: »
    Not sure intel has much of an advantage over ryzen for flight Sims any more, I'd say if the 3000 series performs as expected then that's where the real value will be.

Hopefully if AMD say is true then it will be interesting times ahead, I’m in 2 minds now :confused:

Advertisement