Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off-Topic Thread V3.0

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Guarantee the announced Xbox console tomorrow will be compatible with Windows selected app store and vice versa

• Registered Users Posts: 28,106 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Acer KG281KAbmiipx 28 inch UHD Gaming Monitor - (TN Panel, FreeSync, 60Hz, 1ms, HDR Ready, DP, HDMI, Black)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07P9WKZQZ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_-g6-CbRCDDGPP

Thoughts on this Monitor?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,369 ✭✭✭xtal191

TitianGerm wrote: »
    Acer KG281KAbmiipx 28 inch UHD Gaming Monitor - (TN Panel, FreeSync, 60Hz, 1ms, HDR Ready, DP, HDMI, Black)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07P9WKZQZ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_-g6-CbRCDDGPP

Thoughts on this Monitor?

That must be the wrong price

xtal191 wrote: »
    That must be the wrong price

I've ordered one anyway because it did seem a great price.

Going to use it in conjunction with my 1080p GSync monitor but use it for single player games and Excel/Word.

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭GHOST MGG

I bought one of those models for my son in december for christmas,from scan....it developed a screen fault in march and scan didnt want to know..they made me deal directly with acer..which was a pain in the hole..never again will i buy an acer model..sticking with asus from now on..

• Advertisement

GHOST MGG wrote: »
    I bought one of those models for my son in december for christmas,from scan....it developed a screen fault in march and scan didnt want to know..they made me deal directly with acer..which was a pain in the hole..never again will i buy an acer model..sticking with asus from now on..

Your problem was Scan though. If there's a problem with something from Amazon they'll give you a refund or replacement no problem at all.

I'd never buy from Scan after all the reports of terrible customer service.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Oh snap, Limited Edition 50th Anniversary RX 5700 XT at $499!

It's actually better, too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭will56

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    Oh snap, Limited Edition 50th Anniversary RX 5700 XT at $499!

It's actually better, too.

Any idea what they'll be going for over this side of the world ?
    Very excited to see the reviews and benchmarks when the CPUs & GPUs launch in july

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

It is pretty bad considering the small die size of the gpu's and lack of HBM. Roughly matching a 2060 and 2070 in price and performance a year later is simply not good enough. The 20 series also has RT and tensor cores and is about to be updated with higher clocks and lower prices.

• Advertisement

BloodBath wrote: »
    It is pretty bad considering the small die size of the gpu's and lack of HBM. Roughly matching a 2060 and 2070 in price and performance a year later is simply not good enough. The 20 series also has RT and tensor cores and is about to be updated with higher clocks and lower prices.

As always, those are rumours.
    We still don't know what Nvidia Super actually is.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Nvidia will never sell anything cheap. If it beats the new Navi cards in performance they will cost more.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

Someday a hero will emerge with a top tier card at a sensible price :D

I've had my 1080ti for nearly 3 years now and still no viable upgrade in sight, the 2080ti is just ridiculous. Bit disheartening with the lack of performance improvement year on year with the increasing cost

Someday a hero will emerge with a top tier card at a sensible price :D

I've had my 1080ti for nearly 3 years now and still no viable upgrade in sight, the 2080ti is just ridiculous. Bit disheartening with the lack of performance improvement year on year with the increasing cost

AMD was that hero, and we the people rewarded them... by buying Nvidia :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

AMD was that hero, and we the people rewarded them... by buying Nvidia :confused:

to be fair i bought amd up until i couldnt get the performance i wanted, 7970 was a beast, and my old 390x was pretty good in its day too. if they had a proper competitor at 1080ti level at a good value price id be all over it

will56 wrote: »
    Any idea what they'll be going for over this side of the world ?
    Very excited to see the reviews and benchmarks when the CPUs & GPUs launch in july

Pre-orders open worldwide on 1. July AFAIK
    Now that I've slept on it I'm still on-the-fence about it.
    Especially if all that's available is blower models (I would prefer a dual-100mm fan, e.g. from MSI).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭EoinHef

And how does that work,how can we reward AMD when they dont even produce cards that give the performance people are looking for?

This forum may be currently leaning toward AMD as some sort of super company but lets be realistic aboit what AMD have managed to do.

I dont like feeling like im getting ripped off by Nvidia but at a certain performance point there the only option.

EoinHef wrote: »
    And how does that work,how can we reward AMD when they dont even produce cards that give the performance people are looking for?

This forum may be currently leaning toward AMD as some sort of super company but lets be realistic aboit what AMD have managed to do.

I dont like feeling like im getting ripped off by Nvidia but at a certain performance point there the only option.

That price-point is in the stupid-high end though (€700+)

Refer again to these:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Anybody ever have a Corsair H100i Pro disappear from iCue? Not listed in device manager either.

Updated the iCue software and now it shows ''No devices available''.

Have a feeling its failed,googling leads me to believe an RMA might be needed.

Especially disappointing seen as ive already sent back corsair ram from the new build:mad:

EDIT: NVM,disconnected the pump usb from the mother board USB header,then used a normal micro USB cable to connect pump to an external USB,it showed up. Reconnected the pump via USB header and all is good with the world:)

iCue can glitch out quite a lot. What i do is right click and close in the task bar and then reopen and everything is recognised.

• Advertisement

Lads any suggestions for a monitor arm?

I currently have a 27" 1080p 144hz screen but have ordered a 28" 4K 60hz panel as well.

Seen as they are both different sizes I was going to have one above the other and then move whichever I'm using down to the middle of the desk.

Something like the picture below but where the top monitor can be pulled down in front of the other.

I don't think side by side will work as the 1080 monitor is curved and the 4K is flat.

The arm can be mounted to a concrete wall.

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭yoshiktk

Does is sound weird if I say that ,I miss communism?
    Have to buy few bits, the choice is so big that I cant decide, now its like 4th week of thinking. Ehh it was so easy in 90's, nothing on the shelfs, no problem.

yoshiktk wrote: »
    Does is sound weird if I say that ,I miss communism?
    Have to buy few bits, the choice is so big that I cant decide, now its like 4th week of thinking. Ehh it was so easy in 90's, nothing on the shelfs, no problem.

It's easy choice, comrade.

Always buy RED AMD.

It's easy choice, comrade.

Always buy RED AMD.

Too late. That's already done. Now im hunting for m2 drive and few other bits. Issue is as soon I decide on something, like one sec from pressing buy button, something else gets in the way.
    I saved 600€ on laptop so I can spoil myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,798 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

Has anyone ever had a monitor repaired? My Asus PG278QR isn't detecting any signal from Display-Port or HDMI from multiple devices.

MiskyBoyy wrote: »
    Has anyone ever had a monitor repaired? My Asus PG278QR isn't detecting any signal from Display-Port or HDMI from multiple devices.

Contact the retailer you bought it from, and/or Asus support.

Also double-check you didn't accidentally turn it off at the back.

Got this monitor AOC Q3279VWFD8 today. Suddenly I started playing well again, wasn't expecting that my poor k/d was because of tv I used as a replacement. Now time for gpu upgrade.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,526 ✭✭✭pah

So... I was upgrading an older system I picked up on adverts i7 4770, 12GB GTX Titan, and an ASrock H97M board.

Bought 32GB of hyper-x beast 4x8gb full kit DDR3 1600MHz. Installed the RAM, powered it up and..... Nothing

I tinkered with it for a while and eventually got it to boot with one 8gb dimm in the first slot (right to left) furthest from CPU. Then I tried a second dimm and had 16GB going in single channel mode. Tried slots 1&3 and 2&4 to try for 16GB in dual channel mode. WOULD NOT EVEN POST, FML tried all dimms in slot 1 all working fine individually.

After a pile of googling found a couple of threads online with the same issues and one suggestion was bent CPU pins, or socket pins I suppose. So I stripped the machine down, took out the board & CPU, sure enough I could see something was amiss with the socket but Christ it was hard to see. Sourced a magnifying glass and needles in Mr Price for about 4quid and set to work trying to straighten what I couldn't really see.

By the end the socket looked worse than when I started so I gave up and put it back together, thinking best case scenario it would boot as before and I would make do. Put all the Dimms in for sh1ts and giggles and voila booted 32GB in dual channel mode.

I did a little dance and clapped myself on the back. Just wanted to impart this here on the off chance it helps anyone out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭mp3guy

pah wrote: »
    So... I was upgrading an older system I picked up on adverts i7 4770, 12GB GTX Titan, and an ASrock H97M board.

Bought 32GB of hyper-x beast 4x8gb full kit DDR3 1600MHz. Installed the RAM, powered it up and..... Nothing

I tinkered with it for a while and eventually got it to boot with one 8gb dimm in the first slot (right to left) furthest from CPU. Then I tried a second dimm and had 16GB going in single channel mode. Tried slots 1&3 and 2&4 to try for 16GB in dual channel mode. WOULD NOT EVEN POST, FML tried all dimms in slot 1 all working fine individually.

After a pile of googling found a couple of threads online with the same issues and one suggestion was bent CPU pins, or socket pins I suppose. So I stripped the machine down, took out the board & CPU, sure enough I could see something was amiss with the socket but Christ it was hard to see. Sourced a magnifying glass and needles in Mr Price for about 4quid and set to work trying to straighten what I couldn't really see.

By the end the socket looked worse than when I started so I gave up and put it back together, thinking best case scenario it would boot as before and I would make do. Put all the Dimms in for sh1ts and giggles and voila booted 32GB in dual channel mode.

I did a little dance and clapped myself on the back. Just wanted to impart this here on the off chance it helps anyone out.

I sold this gentleman the machine, so my hamhands are to blame for the original assault on the pins :o

• Advertisement

I've PCI-E network card but the gpu is blocking the only spare x1 port. Well it'll fit but they'll be a tight squeeze. Then I've something in the back of my head that is telling me I can put an x1 in an x8 or x16 port?

Advertisement