Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off-Topic Thread V3.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭SickBoy

I've PCI-E network card but the gpu is blocking the only spare x1 port. Well it'll fit but they'll be a tight squeeze. Then I've something in the back of my head that is telling me I can put an x1 in an x8 or x16 port?

Yup, you sure can.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,798 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    Contact the retailer you bought it from, and/or Asus support.

Don't think I have any warranty as I bought it "Like new" from Amazon Warehouse in 2017.

Tried contacting Amazon chat support and they were hopeless.

Has anyone ever gotten a gaming monitor repaired? I have replaced plenty of laptop screens in my time but never a gaming monitor.

I'm assuming it's one of the boards inside that's faulty...

Apart from that. Has anyone any suggestions for the cheapest 1440p 144Hz monitor 24" or 27"? Not really bothered with G-Sync

• Registered Users Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭pah

mp3guy wrote: »
    I sold this gentleman the machine, so my hamhands are to blame for the original assault on the pins :o

LOL, thanks mate. Few upgrades have it running smoothly now.
    SSD score could be better but SanDisk is a compromise budgetwise

https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/17669813

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭Ultrflat

The eternal desk search is on my wife hates my current one like actually hate's it and wants me to get a new one. I can't post links because I'm a noob (I don't have a high enough post count). But its called the Ikea Bekant any one with any experience with the extender corner peace.

Or something similar? cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭yoshiktk

Depends what are the needs and space. Many of us here just used Ikea kitchen table top with Ikea legs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,042 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

yoshiktk wrote: »
    Depends what are the needs and space. Many of us here just used Ikea kitchen table top with Ikea legs.

Alex drawers make great legs.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭jonski

TitianGerm wrote: »
    Alex drawers make great legs.

What ? what is this ? I never got the memo .

Someone needs to make a detailed post about this .

jonski wrote: »
    What ? what is this ? I never got the memo .

Someone needs to make a detailed post about this .

Not the best photo but I'll get one tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,965 ✭✭✭mp3guy

Ultrflat wrote: »
    The eternal desk search is on my wife hates my current one like actually hate's it and wants me to get a new one. I can't post links because I'm a noob (I don't have a high enough post count). But its called the Ikea Bekant any one with any experience with the extender corner peace.

Or something similar? cheers

I've had the 1.6x0.8m one for years, amazing desk, great size and sturdy. So good I bought a second one!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,877 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

mp3guy wrote: »
    I've had the 1.6x0.8m one for years, amazing desk, great size and sturdy. So good I bought a second one!

Ooh interesting - I always thought they only came in a 60 cm depth, and dismissed them because I thought that would be too shallow. It may be time to have a gander.

• Advertisement

That Sekiro guide looks hefty indeed.

That Sekiro guide looks hefty indeed.

Always get the From Soft guide books. The details in them are great!!

My mess... Have to clean it out already, have all parts installed so maybe now Ill find time and energy to sort it out.

7Doh7JoBRmkj8UmWipLnYhFELW5CtF0Z49ShsIEOhZTp7mTnPMD4FYohZO4eD3FBOJ0ZNUjSsh5DXOOvHNdUCEkbgoQDjy_jN_iQd2LtVWRZ1ChNprX_IZapmjnZlBBuIjXso-3EHbhdymhktMgjeW1sSgsmUns92UXdHrna-HDkKwtbqyuYyZWUq-KaD1O2NcfUmmzMrF37dJ_s86AceMFtvzm7IsHMZJvGJTr2BfMHQO2Hia4F_gTV7-sLDHx1YWxCOrTCQkijH2UCx-k_WJvauflVAENMqmKgGoOeCvUl7HgN0YlriztWuYgaPxXdzzYzYicyDaV9W8r6RGhlN5NDTxWviAqT5lazJ4o2EaH8uYthOHrEmz9vytbWO7nmUQYLbruZ_k1Yv0_LW2Ah0hD4Q7KBQvIrXE_TPtraMy79Oz0uBmlxzOPlBI3Is_d0upFjBAFRjavwv45SzBpcHQFFbwqmV0R5pyT_jCblN2321Mfo6HcovjYeg-ZKesEpyEuK5a8ehedslld52vzVAacEUfOrFlnfUuywyPkh2CStFbmWSkikeoozSZuHgBYXO3Nm5HlMjTKLFi98oe_Hj0K8knJ5xxScImVKbB1-CLQxad2GIItQFDC6HmHZjXkSn2BYSBgkLPY4AAiwRf02tLg8hYuj1EI=w2560-h1245-no

I've a 32" LG TV off to the right and the consoles under there too wired back to the main monitor in shot. I like the desk as it fits the space but it's shallow 49cm. Just need to have a think and have a look for something that will pull everything together and be neat and tidy, maybe an L or corner something or other might do that.

5URYqerl.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,887 ✭✭✭Joeface

As good a place as any to put this .

Throwing together something , I have a stack of drives would really like to verify fully before using any of them . What do ppl recommend that's Freeware . Drives are Both SSD and standard HD . And yes there is google for this but lately I prefer the boards answer .

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭Ultrflat

That's really nice, which desk top is that? Currently my desk is 80 centimeters deep I like to rest my elbow on my desk.

Ultrflat wrote: »
    That's really nice, which desk top is that? Currently my desk is 80 centimeters deep I like to rest my elbow on my desk.

I think it's Ekbarton or something like that. It's only 64cm deep though but it's a small enough room so didn't want it coming out to far.

What I found weird was size of the Ikea desk tops. Want one standard one with decent depth? No problem. Want one longer than a average eu high, ok but its gonna be shallow. Who the duck did thought about that. Wouldnt be suprisied to see that 1% of Ikea kitchen tops goes into office use.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

What I found weird was size of the Ikea desk tops. Want one standard one with decent depth? No problem. Want one longer than a average eu high, ok but its gonna be shallow. Who the duck did thought about that. Wouldnt be suprisied to see that 1% of Ikea kitchen tops goes into office use.

Get a TÄRENDÖ table.
    110x67cm, full metal frame, dirt cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,242 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

I drove Cork to Dublin recently and picked up the 200cm long version of this, as well as the Alex drawers, and a single leg for the middle.

https://www.ikea.com/gb/en/products/desks/table-tops-legs/linnmon-table-top-black-brown-art-10251352/

Can't recommend it highly enough, I was using a small desk for gaming since I was a small lad, and this is worlds better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭jebidiah

Pick up a linnemon table top w/ 2 legs and alex drawer unit for a cheaper version to the solid top. Using mine with a monitor arm, but you could wall mount to give more space

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭z0oT

Anyone here got any experience of the Wraith Prism cooler that comes bundled with the Ryzen 7 2700X?

What's it like at stock? Too loud? (I've no desire to overclock)

Plenty info on the web, but it would be nice to hear from someone here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

It looks nice if you've a windowed case but I found it irritatingly loud and had to replace it.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭Recurve360

Hi Guys, im just wondering would anybody know where to go to get replacement modular PSU cables. I seem to have mislaid my EVGA Supernova cable bag and need an extra 6 pin PCIe cable.

Would it be safe to use a 2x molex to 6 pin adaptor or best to get a cable?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

z0oT wrote: »
    Anyone here got any experience of the Wraith Prism cooler that comes bundled with the Ryzen 7 2700X?

What's it like at stock? Too loud? (I've no desire to overclock)

Plenty info on the web, but it would be nice to hear from someone here.

I used it for about two weeks while waiting on the AM4 bracket for my D15S to arrive and on the low RPM settings it wasn't crazy loud like I was expecting from a stock cooler.

If you are going to use it tho, I strongly suggest removing the thermal pad from the coolers base and using a proper thermal compound as apart from lower temps, removing the Wraith Prism cooler can be a right pain in the ass as that pad sticks to the CPU like glue!

Did somebody on here have an NZXT H500 ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭The One Doctor

Has anyone built a decent VR system lately? If so, how much did you spend and was it worth it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭Xenoronin

Has anyone built a decent VR system lately? If so, how much did you spend and was it worth it?

Like, you can make a VR system as expensive as you want. I already had my parts when I got the headset, so can't speak on spending. However, the cheapest option is to buy a second hand system with a ivy bridge or newer i7, USB3 supported motherboard (or can you put a PCIe USB3 card into an older motherboard?), and also a GTX 970 or better graphics card. That'd probably run under €500 easy.

I think the experience is great, but it's a decent money commitment, for the newer headsets anyway. You also need to think about how to remove as much hassle with getting everything ready if you decide to do some VR gaming. Nothing kills a mood like the thought of plugging in the sensor USB cables, unfurling the headset cord, reorientating the headset because the sensors have moved, checking controller batteries, etc.

I still think it worth it. It isn't like anything else I've experienced. Beat Saber alone makes it worthwhile.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,798 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    Contact the retailer you bought it from, and/or Asus support.

Also double-check you didn't accidentally turn it off at the back.

I'm VERY impressed with Asus RMA procedure.

Bought this monitor "Like New" opened, from Amazon Warehouse in Summer 2017. So wasn't sure if I had any warranty.

Decided to try Asus anyway, as why not, had nothing to lose. I seen the warranty period was 3 years.

All went through ok and RMA approved. Just received a brand new monitor via DPD today, who also took away the old one.

One very happy customer right now :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Did somebody on here have an NZXT H500 ?

Yeah im using one at the moment.

Advertisement