Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off-Topic Thread V3.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭megaten

Has anyone any experience with the Legion C530 Cube by Lenovo. Thinking of getting it and upgrading it as I need to. It seems good for a small prebuilt.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,638 ✭✭✭Inviere

What's the general rule of thumb with radiators, placed on the front panel for cool air intake (but spills warm air into the case), or placed at the top vents to expel heat out (but the air passing through the rad is warm case air)?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

Cooler cpu if you put it at the front, cooler gpu if at the top.

Depends which part you want to cool more.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

megaten wrote: »
    Has anyone any experience with the Legion C530 Cube by Lenovo. Thinking of getting it and upgrading it as I need to. It seems good for a small prebuilt.
    https://www.windowscentral.com/lenovo-legion-c530-cube-review
    Seems alright for a SFF case, but the only one I'm seeing on Lenovo's site (i5-8400/GTX 1050 Ti for €600) would want a SSD & GPU upgrade ASAP. BUT the only models on Lenovo's site have following caveats:
    • €600 model: only 8Gb RAM, outdated GTX 1050 Ti, tiny 16Gb SSD, only 280W PSU
    • The other models are overpriced to hell. For same size, you could build in a Node 304 for 2/3rds the cost: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/6H6gkd

EoinHef wrote: »
    Yeah im using one at the moment.

I'm thinking of getting the H510 Elite when it's released.
    What's your first hand opinion of temps, noise, etc? I've watched all the video's i can about it but would like a Boardsie's opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Noise is great,the look is great. Very nice to build in,well thought out placement for cable routing.

Ive not got much bad to say about it except one big issue i have. GPU temps are not great for me. Im using a 120mm AIO mounted in the front,ive tried using it in push and pull,mounting the rad closer to the front and further away(the AIO mounting bracket gives some flexibility)but none of it has had great results. Cant comment on if an air cooler will fix this problem as i havent tried one in it.

As a disclaimer the GPU is a Zotac 1080 Amp edition which doesnt have the best cooler anyway. But watchimg temps as its put under load shows its very quick to heat up and slow to cool,which tells me the heat dissapation from the case it not great. Ive had to set a temp target of 75C in afterburner to make sure things stay in check.

Its annoying me enough that i have a brand new Coolermaster H500 4 months sitting there waiting to replace it. Im struggling with the decision though as i reallly like 90% of how the case is,its just the GPU temp issue thats annoying me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭jebidiah

Looking at that case I'm not too impressed with the cooling options. Only one side of the front is ventilated compared to the 400i with both sides. Only one fan slot on the top of the case instead of two on the 400i so you couldn't mount a radiator up there either.

I don't know what the temps are like in the 500 but I'd rather have a few more options.

I just want to go back to something a bit smaller but there aren't many cases that i like at the minute. I still have my Meshify C but it's just that bit too small for all my components.

What GPU temps were you getting?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

Intel preemptively dropping prices on the 9000 series cpus before ryzen 3000 launches.

https://wccftech.com/intel-prepares-sweeping-price-cuts-in-response-to-amds-ryzen-3000-series/

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭yoshiktk

Long story short, have the dreadful MSI RX 580, card itself is great but the cooler, yikes, sounds like starting jumbo jet. Today at last I had some spare time for playing with my pc, so replaced stock cpu cooler with my old noctua, no issues. But when it came to replacing cooling on Rx I was defeated. I wanted to put old Artic Twin onto it, more or less the issue I have is that stock cooler does have distance/washer, where as the Arctic is flat.
    Any idea how to solve that?

• Advertisement

BloodBath wrote: »
    Intel preemptively dropping prices on the 9000 series cpus before ryzen 3000 launches.

https://wccftech.com/intel-prepares-sweeping-price-cuts-in-response-to-amds-ryzen-3000-series/

I'm just not finding Intel any way appealing these days, I'd need a fair bit more than 15% to consider them for my next build(s). AMD are riding a wave at the moment, and it's not only fun/fresh to support them and see them toe to toe with Intel, but the security deficiencies and subsequent mitigations seem to hit Intel a LOT more than AMD.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭pah

http://www.adverts.ie/18218683

What's the market for this? At this price!
    I see someone has offered his asking price. Is it nostalgia, retro etc.

I've run old OS as VM for the hell of it but really, what's the point?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,965 ✭✭✭mp3guy

Its gotta be nostalgia.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Purely nostalgia and running games in their native environment. I had a very similar machine around 99 and it ran stuff like Unreal Tournament, RTCW and Quake III extremely well.

Until a couple of years ago I had a similar machine for doing just that, though eventually I just didn't have the time/space for a dedicated retro machine.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭pah

Around the same time we got our first pc at home and I started tinkering!

Friend of mine had a similar machine to the gateway above but we got a Packard bell with a celeron and no GPU, FTW He gave me his copy of Half Life and the PB really struggled.

My first foray into PC hardware, self taught, got a p3 around 500MHz and a graphics card on eBay, but the PC had no AGP slot so I had to get a PCI card. Big upgrade at the time and helped me run half life nice and smooth

Edit, I think the GPU was a RIVA TNT

• Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Inviere wrote: »
    I'm just not finding Intel any way appealing these days, I'd need a fair bit more than 15% to consider them for my next build(s). AMD are riding a wave at the moment, and it's not only fun/fresh to support them and see them toe to toe with Intel, but the security deficiencies and subsequent mitigations seem to hit Intel a LOT more than AMD.

Depends,if your doing anything other than gaming AMD look to pretty much be a no brainer. Exclusively gaming though,Intel are still in there.

The fact that they say Ryzen 3 is "comparable" to the 9 series from intel for gaming tells its own story i think.

Need to see independent benches to see how it all stacks up.

Depends,if your doing anything other than gaming AMD look to pretty much be a no brainer. Exclusively gaming though,Intel are still in there.

The fact that they say Ryzen 3 is "comparable" to the 9 series from intel for gaming tells its own story i think.

Need to see independent benches to see how it all stacks up.

Indeed. I feel though that unless there’s a huge gulf between the two, I feel better going AMD. The security flaws and subsequent performance losses in Intel chips have bothered me significantly, so much that’d id have to think very strongly about buying Intel in the near future. To my eyes, AMD just seem to represent serious value and importantly, innovation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭jebidiah

Inviere wrote: »
    Indeed. I feel though that unless there’s a huge gulf between the two, I feel better going AMD. The security flaws and subsequent performance losses in Intel chips have bothered me significantly, so much that’d id have to think very strongly about buying Intel in the near future. To my eyes, AMD just seem to represent serious value and importantly, innovation.

I think value is the main one to be honest. Intel might have the lead in gaming, but surely that's the 9900k, which costs a fortune. I imagine most gaming builds in the current market are ryzen based, giving people more budget toward the GPU

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Intel still have the IPC edge to provide best performance for a number of single threaded legacy applications. Medium to long term my opinion is we'll see all major processing bottlenecks dealt with through multi-threading and GPU compute functionality both of which are also likely to become memory intensive and power hungry.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,042 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Folks has anyone had trouble using a Switch Pro Controller on PC? I've mine connected via USB but Windows isn't recognizing it at all (no beep or anything when connected).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭GHOST MGG

Does the blue light on the controller come on?
    could be a dodgy usb connector if not try repairing windows,mine is just plug and play
    After a bit of digging they suggest to hold down the sync button on top when you plug it into the usb port..it should register after a few tries

GHOST MGG wrote: »
    Does the blue light on the controller come on?
    could be a dodgy usb connector if not try repairing windows,mine is just plug and play
    After a bit of digging they suggest to hold down the sync button on top when you plug it into the usb port..it should register after a few tries

No blue light on the controller, it works wirelessly and using the same cable connected to the Switch.

The One controller works on all the USB ports I tried the Pro Controller on.

I've tried holding the sync button when plugging into the PC but no joy.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,419 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

pah wrote: »
    http://www.adverts.ie/18218683

What's the market for this? At this price!
    I see someone has offered his asking price. Is it nostalgia, retro etc.

I've run old OS as VM for the hell of it but really, what's the point?

thats very new looking
    Did they use retrobrite I wonder?

You're actually right, considering the age it's in flawless condition.

TitianGerm wrote: »
    Folks has anyone had trouble using a Switch Pro Controller on PC? I've mine connected via USB but Windows isn't recognizing it at all (no beep or anything when connected).

Ok really strange but I tried the Pro Controller on every single USB port on the PC and it doesn't work, won't even beep when I plug it in for some strange reason.

Anyway my Surface beeps if tried on that (but still no blue light) so I know it works.

Remembered I've a USB port on the back of my keyboard so plugged the controller in there on the off chance and I finally got a beep. At least the PC now picked it up.

Next problem was Steam still didn't recognize the blasted thing so had to set up ProXCon and now everything is working at last :)

• Registered Users Posts: 54,198 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Guys I have a AMD Ryzen 7 2700X, anything out now (obviously priced within reason) or coming out soon that will blow this CPU out of the water?

Well, you have the new Ryzens coming along? Assuming you have a B450M or X470, a 3700X or 3800X makes perfect sense.

Depends what you're doing as well. For general productivity...see above.

For purely gaming >60hz, the 9700K or 9900 blow the 2700X out of the water in terms of raw frames.

Either way, it makes by far the most sense to hang on for a 3700 or 3800X if you already have a compatiable motherboard.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,198 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Well, you have the new Ryzens coming along? Assuming you have a B450M or X470, a 3700X or 3800X makes perfect sense.

Depends what you're doing as well. For general productivity...see above.

For purely gaming >60hz, the 9700K or 9900 blow the 2700X out of the water in terms of raw frames.

Either way, it makes by far the most sense to hang on for a 3700 or 3800X if you already have a compatiable motherboard.

Thanks TF

Yup it's just going to be for gaming.

I have a X470 motherboard so make sense waiting for the 3800X

• Registered Users Posts: 13,986 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

TitianGerm wrote: »
    Ok really strange but I tried the Pro Controller on every single USB port on the PC and it doesn't work, won't even beep when I plug it in for some strange reason.

Anyway my Surface beeps if tried on that (but still no blue light) so I know it works.

Remembered I've a USB port on the back of my keyboard so plugged the controller in there on the off chance and I finally got a beep. At least the PC now picked it up.

Next problem was Steam still didn't recognize the blasted thing so had to set up ProXCon and now everything is working at last :)

I remember something a while back about the Nintendo provided cables breaking USB-c spec.

• Advertisement

I remember something a while back about the Nintendo provided cables breaking USB-c spec.

It's not the cable because I've tried 3 different ones. It's really strange.

Advertisement