Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off-Topic Thread V3.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,986 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

TitianGerm wrote: »
    It's not the cable because I've tried 3 different ones. It's really strange.

https://www.reddit.com/r/NintendoSwitch/comments/ai06pk/issue_with_switch_pro_controller_on_pc/

Looks like your not the only person. I'd hazard a guess and say the USB controller on your PC and the Switch controller are not playing nice with the initial electrical negotiation.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,419 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

Headshot wrote: »
    Thanks TF

Yup it's just going to be for gaming.

I have a X470 motherboard so make sense waiting for the 3800X

why are you upgrading after just a year?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭SickBoy

Skerries wrote: »

That itch...

• Registered Users Posts: 54,197 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

You don't know me very well lol

• Registered Users Posts: 3,965 ✭✭✭mp3guy

https://media.giphy.com/media/l0HFkA6omUyjVYqw8/giphy.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭L

Well, looks like we have prices and a release date for the new RTX cards. Doesn't look great.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

L wrote: »
    Well, looks like we have prices and a release date for the new RTX cards. Doesn't look great.

Until we get official confirmation, we can't call them out as genuine prices.

But it's looking more & more like I'll be getting a CPU/mobo upgrade before GPU.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

K.O.Kiki wrote: »

But it's looking more & more like I'll be getting a CPU/mobo upgrade before GPU.

What are going for? Zen 2?

What are going for? Zen 2?

3700X, not sure on mobo - just know I want dual M.2

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

3700X, not sure on mobo - just know I want dual M.2

Same

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

Great we're looking at around €550 for xx60 series card now. That used to be the price of the xx80.

The gpu market is fecked. If I want to double the performance and memory of my 970 I need to pay double the price 5 years later. So much for waiting for a value upgrade. I should have just got a cheap 1070ti a couple of years back. Hopefully intel can shake things up.

BloodBath wrote: »
    Great we're looking at around €550 for xx60 series card now. That used to be the price of the xx80.

The gpu market is fecked. If I want to double the performance and memory of my 970 I need to pay double the price 5 years later. So much for waiting for a value upgrade. I should have just got a cheap 1070ti a couple of years back. Hopefully intel can shake things up.

https://www.ebay.ie/itm/GIGABYTE-Nvidia-GTX-1080-G1-Gaming-8GB-GDDR5X-OC-EDITION/192733780547?hash=item2cdfd41a43:g:YpAAAOSwj8hbmTaD
    GTX 1080 G1 Gaming for €305 shipped.

Probably the closest you'll get unless RX 5700 is an overclocking monster.

That's a good deal. Guys on adverts looking for new or higher than new prices.

I bought my old 7970 from ebay, received a broken 7950, they eventually shipped me a 7970. Still put me off ebay a bit. That guy has 75% positive feedback too in only 15 sales.

If I want something good around that price it seems ebay is my only option though.

Will wait a bit longer to see how good/bad the 5700 is.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭deceit

https://www.ebay.ie/itm/GIGABYTE-Nvidia-GTX-1080-G1-Gaming-8GB-GDDR5X-OC-EDITION/192733780547?hash=item2cdfd41a43:g:YpAAAOSwj8hbmTaD
    GTX 1080 G1 Gaming for €305 shipped.

Probably the closest you'll get unless RX 5700 is an overclocking monster.
    Good chance of it being a scam.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Those new Super RTX cards once again appear to be a total joke (wow, 8GB of vram, the amount the card should've had in the first place).

If you're coming from a GTX970 the GTX1660Ti is the only sortable of half-reasonable value @ £269, but the deliberate crippling of it by just giving it 6GB vram really pisses me off. Obviously an RX590 @ £199 is pretty OK too but probably not be enough of an upgrade if you had waited this long.

I have seen one or two 1080ti's going for €450 ballpark on Adverts recently. Personally I prefer not to buy expensive 2nd hand cards though, due to lack of warranty. I'd probably prefer an RTX2060 new, even if the value's not brilliant.

You could consider a small upgrade while you wait it out a few months. Going from a GTX970 to say an RX580 8GB or GTX1060 6GB 2nd hand would probably have a net cost of €30-50, after you sell the 970.

deceit wrote: »
    Good chance of it being a scam.

IDK I bought my card for similar price & from a volume seller.
    Just ex-mining stock being offloaded.

Those new Super RTX cards once again appear to be a total joke (wow, 8GB of vram, the amount the card should've had in the first place).

If you're coming from a GTX970 the GTX1660Ti is the only sortable of half-reasonable value @ £269, but the deliberate crippling of it by just giving it 6GB vram really pisses me off. Obviously an RX590 @ £199 is pretty OK too but probably not be enough of an upgrade if you had waited this long.

I have seen one or two 1080ti's going for €450 ballpark on Adverts recently. Personally I prefer not to buy expensive 2nd hand cards though, due to lack of warranty. I'd probably prefer an RTX2060 new, even if the value's not brilliant.

You could consider a small upgrade while you wait it out a few months. Going from a GTX970 to say an RX580 8GB or GTX1060 6GB 2nd hand would probably have a net cost of €30-50, after you sell the 970.

Did consider that ages ago but it's more of a side grade. The 2060S is €400-450, not €550. Still insanely high. Any chance of a higher spec non RTX line card from Nvidia above the 1660ti?

I really don't want to pay through the nose for RT and Tensor cores on the lower end cards that just doesn't make sense. It barely makes sense on the highest end ones.

The 5700 could be a great card though. The architecture is very different and AMD are supposed to have fixed a lot of the issues GCN had.

It's going to be between the 5700 and the 2060S unless Nvidia have another GTX card up their sleeve better than the 1660ti with 8gb of Vram.

Looking for suggestions for a 4k compatible HDMI switch (unpowered) Was using a One4All branded one I got in tesco and did the job nicely for a few years but lacks 4k support which I now need. It's a pure convenience purchase to save me 4 clicks on the monitors rear button so don't want to break the bank.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Keep in mind that some of the switchers will only do 4K@30Hz. Theres plenty of cheap ones on amazon that will do that.

The 4K@60Hz ones are a bit more expensive. Depends on what ye want to use it for really

Not a huge fan of Linus but this workstation build is insane. Would have held out for dual 64/128 Epyc processors with PCIe4 though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,419 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

j04mjshr5p731.gif

That's a good looking heatsink meatsink they've got there...

• Registered Users Posts: 28,042 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

They'll give you up to £280? Does that mean you'll get the £280 for a 2080Ti?

They'll give you up to £280? Does that mean you'll get the £280 for a 2080Ti?

I just double-checked their T&Cs, looks like it's UK-only :(
    https://asustradeup.com/gb/en/pages/graphicscard/terms

• Registered Users Posts: 13,986 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Nvidia releases "new cards" out of the blue for me, I'm beginning to think Navi might be half decent in the mid range based on this response.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,242 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Sonics2k wrote: »

They all look to be £50 more than the original RTX. I'm happy with my 2060 anyway and it'll do me now until 2021.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,242 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

They all look to be £50 more than the original RTX. I'm happy with my 2060 anyway and it'll do me now until 2021.

Honestly I'm still happy with my 1070. Majority of my usual games are coming in over 100 fps at 1440p

• Advertisement

Sonics2k wrote: »
    Honestly I'm still happy with my 1070. Majority of my usual games are coming in over 100 fps at 1440p

I only have a 1080p monitor but it's 144hz GSync. I do have a 4K 60hz ordered so my plan is play shooters at 1080 high frames and single player games at 60hz 1440p.

Will be doing a whole new build in 2021 and going with something smaller and tidier and selling my current 1700 and RTX2060 combo.

Advertisement