Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off-Topic Thread V3.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Nvidia releases "new cards" out of the blue for me, I'm beginning to think Navi might be half decent in the mid range based on this response.

It's not really out of the blue as there have been "leaks" of the Super branded cards for a while now. As for why Nvidia choose to drop them now, well that's just to take the wind out of AMD sails as the two AMD cards were looking like they were a tad better than Nvidia's 2060 and 2070 cards. The Super versions look to maintain the performance lead for team Green.

The 2070 Super is looking like a good deal with 2080 performance for 2070 prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Yeah not liking the titles these youtubers are giving these refreshes, sentiment is being echoed elsewhere online.

"Navi is dead-on-arrival"?
    Wait for benchmarks!

TitianGerm wrote: »
    I only have a 1080p monitor but it's 144hz GSync. I do have a 4K 60hz ordered so my plan is play shooters at 1080 high frames and single player games at 60hz 1440p.

Will be doing a whole new build in 2021 and going with something smaller and tidier and selling my current 1700 and RTX2060 combo.

Don't think I could handle moving down to 60hz from 144hz now that I'm used to it but I was surprised that going from 1080p to 1440p put such an amount of extra pressure on my GPU. My 1070 was 100% silent at 1080p gaming but I can hear the fans ramping up now when I'm playing at 1440p due to the extra workload.

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    Yeah not liking the titles these youtubers are giving these refreshes, sentiment is being echoed elsewhere online.

"Navi is dead-on-arrival"?
    Wait for benchmarks!

Well, they do want the views on these vids and the future Navi ones :)

Tech Power Up with the most relevant graphs IMHO
    RTX 2060 Super @ 1080p
    relative-performance_1920-1080.png

RTX 2070 Super @ 1440p
    relative-performance_2560-1440.png

Both cards gain ~8.5% through overclocking.

Tech Power Up with the most relevant graphs IMHO
    RTX 2060 Super @ 1080p

RTX 2070 Super @ 1440p

Both cards gain ~8.5% through overclocking.

I'd say the board partner cards from the likes of MSI, EVGA, Asus and others will add a fair bit on top of that as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,986 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Venom wrote: »
    Well, they do want the views on these vids and the future Navi ones :)

In fairness a lot of youtubers(not just tech) have come out and said if they don't click-bait with titles and thumbnails, their channels start to die.

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭yoshiktk

Any good recommends for M2 drive for system/games partition? Something 1Tb under 100€?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

yoshiktk wrote:
    Any good recommends for M2 drive for system/games partition? Something 1Tb under 100€?

Don't think you'll get anything for that price point. You'll be needing 120+ for an mx500 anyway. Decent drive but not amazing.

RossieMan wrote: »
    Don't think you'll get anything for that price point. You'll be needing 120+ for an mx500 anyway. Decent drive but not amazing.

Ok. What about 500gb?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

Not the best NVME drive but it is the cheapest. €105 delivered.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07J2Q4SWZ/?tag=pcp0f-21

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

You'll definitely get a decent 500GB for well below 100. The MX500 is something like £60 though it's not the fastest.

This is a great M2 well below budget. Though you would probably get a 1TB cheap model for not much more, if its only for games, I don't think it's going to make a huge difference.

I'll stick with decent 500gb, have to save pennies for new gpu. Corsair or Crucial?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,798 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

Finally got around to ordering a new PC case and PSU so now have fully upgraded all parts. So now have old 3570k PC to use as a media player system in Livingroom.

I think I can use my harmony remote to control it but what's the best way to make it TV friendly? What do people recommend?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,553 ✭✭✭savemejebus

MiskyBoyy wrote: »
    Finally got around to ordering a new PC case and PSU so now have fully upgraded all parts. So now have old 3570k PC to use as a media player system in Livingroom.

I think I can use my harmony remote to control it but what's the best way to make it TV friendly? What do people recommend?

i'm loathe to say it but Windows 8.1 was great for HTPC use. Remote worked great for metro tiles so could launch netflix, kodi etc. plus still supported Windows Media Centre so easy TV through sat cards.

Have to say though, i switched to an Nvidia Shield last year and haven't looked back.:o

Just reading a thread over on OCUK where a guy with 15K forum posts was telling someone with a 144hz monitor that an upgrade from a 2500K to a Ryzen 2600X is a waste, and that the 3600X will..... "likely" be an upgrade.

He also said at one point that a 2080Ti would be OK with a 2500K at 4.2Ghz.

Infuriates me to think of people hearing this utter mindless garbage and believing it.

Just reading a thread over on OCUK where a guy with 15K forum posts was telling someone with a 144hz monitor that an upgrade from a 2500K to a Ryzen 2600X is a waste, and that the 3600X will..... "likely" be an upgrade.

He also said at one point that a 2080Ti would be OK with a 2500K at 4.2Ghz.

Infuriates me to think of people hearing this utter mindless garbage and believing it.

Some ppl are just blinded with blue glasses. Or green ones, ore red ones. Problem is when they start to take over forum/websites. Looking thru comments about the super series on one of major polish sites, 250+ comments. The ones worth something, maybe 25, rest is pure brand war.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,948 ✭✭✭circadian

So I've gone ahead and ordered the Thermaltake Core P1 because, reasons (not really, I can't justify it at all I just want one).

This brings me to watercooling, where's he best place to buy watercooling gear? Full kits would be welcome. Any recommendations? I'm ordering the Alphacool block for the Radeon vii since they dropped the price to €100, none of the others come close in price there.

circadian wrote: »
    So I've gone ahead and ordered the Thermaltake Core P1 because, reasons (not really, I can't justify it at all I just want one).

This brings me to watercooling, where's he best place to buy watercooling gear? Full kits would be welcome. Any recommendations? I'm ordering the Alphacool block for the Radeon vii since they dropped the price to €100, none of the others come close in price there.

https://www.watercoolinguk.co.uk/
    https://www.overclockers.co.uk/water-cooling
    https://www.scan.co.uk/shop/computer-hardware/cooling-water/all
    https://www.aquatuning.co.uk/water-cooling/

• Registered Users Posts: 54,197 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Oh interesting some reviews of the AMD Ryzen 9 3900X out today.

Must get reading

Stumbled across this chap while on Youtube.

Is this one of you lot?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭farna_boy

So it turns out that (part of) the reason that the Division is running so horribly on my PC is that the RAM is being maxed out. (Currently running an i5 6500, with 8GB Crucial Ballistix Elite DDR4 2666MHz).

I intend on upgrading to a Ryzen 3700X in a few months but for now I am just looking to upgrade the RAM.

So the questions are which are the most important things to be looking for now that will get me out of this problem but that will also be well suited to the Ryzen build?

What is the minimum speed I should look for? Is 3200MHz enough or do I need to go higher?

How important are timings? Should they take precedence over speed?

Is 16GB enough or should I just get 32GB and not have to worry about it again for a while?

Are you running your RAM in single channel (1x 8Gb stick)?

Are you running your RAM in single channel (1x 8Gb stick)?

No, I have 2x4GB sticks, this is the amazon link for them:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00RCGJLLO/ref=pe_385721_144874611_TE_item

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

16gb is more than enough for gaming. A cheapish 16gb 3200Mhz CL16 kit will do fine for around €75.

If you want to spend double that you can get 3200/CL14. Not worth the price premium unless pushing for ultra high end imo.

BloodBath wrote: »
    16gb is more than enough for gaming. A cheapish 16gb 3200Mhz CL16 kit will do fine for around €75.

If you want to spend double that you can get 3200/CL14. Not worth the price premium unless pushing for ultra high end imo.

I have a Vega 64 so I had everything on Ultra when I was playing the Division so that might be part of the reason for the slow downs.

So in that case (of trying to play at ultra), would more RAM be better or better timings?

More RAM. Timings make a small difference compared to other factors, in the case of the Division 2 I think it's genuinely a RAM hungry game.

You'd want to have a very high spec system for RAM timings to be the factor that makes the difference.

Also depends on your definition of horrible performance. If that means heavy stuttering and frequent big drops, it's likely RAM or CPU. If it's occassional drops below 60fps, that would be normal at say 1440P ultra on Vega 64, but not normal at 1080p.

Not sure how CPU heavy Division 2 is either, but that i5-6500 would be a limiting factor in some of the latest games too.

In this specific case though I'd say it's lack of RAM.

More RAM. Timings make a small difference compared to other factors, in the case of the Division 2 I think it's genuinely a RAM hungry game.

You'd want to have a very high spec system for RAM timings to be the factor that makes the difference.

Also depends on your definition of horrible performance. If that means heavy stuttering and frequent big drops, it's likely RAM or CPU. If it's occassional drops below 60fps, that would be normal at say 1440P ultra on Vega 64, but not normal at 1080p.

Not sure how CPU heavy Division 2 is either, but that i5-6500 would be a limiting factor in some of the latest games too.

In this specific case though I'd say it's lack of RAM.

Unfortunately, it's only the Division 1 and I'm playing at 1080p. It gets so bad sometimes that it reminds me of lag in MW2 on a really poor connection i.e. shooting someone 10m away but they don't die and all of a sudden you are being respawned. The worst thing is that I'm not even playing against others..

Oh, in that case, no idea. That sounds like either a) network issues or b) stuttering and freezing so bad that you're literally hitting 0-1fps for some reason at times, which suggests something seriously wrong.

Just upgrading your ram is not going to fix that issue (unless your ram is literally faulty). It's not inherently your hardware, a 6500, 8GB ram and Vega 64 should blitz that game effortlessly.

Have used monitors to check CPU, GPU and RAM usage? Is your CPU overheating? Are other games working OK? Is your GPU holding stable clocks/temperatures?

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭z0oT

Anyone here have a recommendation for a good router that'll let you set up a home VPN server?

I found out today that my ISP will give me a Static IP for just a few euro extra per month. :)

I could flash the router we have with the open source DD-WRT firmware, but I'd rather not risk bricking it and be without any internet for an extended period of time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,798 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

Wow. Dropped a PC case unopened to the Post Office on my lunch about 12 being returned to Amazon. Had an email 2 hours later saying the refund had been processed. That's insanely fast!

Was originally going with the Phanteks Enthoo Elite but decided to go with the Phanteks Evolv X after. Absolutely loving this case. What a dream to work in!

Advertisement