Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off-Topic Thread V3.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,042 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

MiskyBoyy wrote: »
    Wow. Dropped a PC case unopened to the Post Office on my lunch about 12 being returned to Amazon. Had an email 2 hours later saying the refund had been processed. That's insanely fast!

Was originally going with the Phanteks Enthoo Elite but decided to go with the Phanteks Evolv X after. Absolutely loving this case. What a dream to work in!

When An Post scan the return label Amazon are notified and process the refund. It's a great system in fairness.

TitianGerm wrote: »
    When An Post scan the return label Amazon are notified and process the refund. It's a great system in fairness.

Indeed. One of the reasons i use Amazon the most. Great returns process but they will suspend your account if you abuse it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,242 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Indeed. One of the reasons i use Amazon the most. Great returns process but they will suspend your account if you abuse it.

They've totally suspended my account due to a charge back I had to put in. Someone managed to gain access and ordered about €500 worth of stuff and it was delivered to Dublin, while I'm firmly based in Cork.

They're not being at all helpful and will only re-instate the account if I pay them back the money, for goods I never ordered or received.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Sonics2k wrote: »
    They've totally suspended my account due to a charge back I had to put in. Someone managed to gain access and ordered about €500 worth of stuff and it was delivered to Dublin, while I'm firmly based in Cork.

They're not being at all helpful and will only re-instate the account if I pay them back the money, for goods I never ordered or received.

Jebus, what have the guards done about this fraud? obviously you've the delivery address so that'd be a slam dunk right?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Jebus, what have the guards done about this fraud? obviously you've the delivery address so that'd be a slam dunk right?

Not really.

Live in #20 Jump Street, order to #30 Jump Street. Watch tracking. On morning of delivery intercept package, or kindly offer to take it in etc. Sign an x if needed. If Gardai come knocking at #30 they'll be clueless.

Using a chargeback against Amazon or Paypal is kinda dumb. They provide their own protection systems which are robust on the agreement that you go through them in case of a problem.

In Sonics case:
    A) They got Amazon access only - could order but he'd receive an email right away giving him 2-3 days to flag it before delivery
    B) They got Amazon AND email access - Leave your house unlocked, get robbed, can't cry to the insurer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Venom wrote: »
    Stumbled across this chap while on Youtube.

Is this one of you lot?

Just had to subscribe for the soladarity, like.

Reported it to the Guards as soon as I noticed it, but it was honestly about 2 weeks after the order was made and delivered. Guards honestly did nothing and after a few follow ups I just stopped contacting.
    ED E wrote: »
    Using a chargeback against Amazon or Paypal is kinda dumb. They provide their own protection systems which are robust on the agreement that you go through them in case of a problem.

In Sonics case:
    A) They got Amazon access only - could order but he'd receive an email right away giving him 2-3 days to flag it before delivery
    B) They got Amazon AND email access - Leave your house unlocked, get robbed, can't cry to the insurer

My Amazon account was set up with an old Hotmail account from about 15 years ago, and one I never check because these days it's only used for Amazon simply because I never got around to updating it, I rarely use Amazon so it was never a flagged thing for me. Safe to assume they got access to the email address and then got through my Amazon account too.

Ironically of course, I do work in the Fraud and Dispute team for a payment processor so I reached out to Amazon first who basically said "tough ****" and were surprisingly no help at all. I was really baffled by it because I'd heard there support was great. So despite the sudden password change, obvious IP change and new delivery address they wouldn't help me out.

Got straight on to the bank, told them the situation and forwarded the emails from Amazon and they did a straight up charge back.

Amazon reached out about 3 weeks later offering a compromise, I drop the dispute and they refund -half- the amount to me (about €250), I said no and the dispute was won in my favour.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,197 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Guys how much would a Ryzen 7 2700x go for?

Bought in October 2018 and never overclocked

Think I have the original box as well

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Headshot wrote: »
    Guys how much would a Ryzen 7 2700x go for?

Bought in October 2018 and never overclocked

Think I have the original box as well

160-180 should get you a buyer.

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭yoshiktk

Is it just me or the Prime Deals arent to special?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭Polar101

yoshiktk wrote: »
    Is it just me or the Prime Deals arent to special?

Samsung 970 Evo 1TB m2 for £130 was pretty good I thought. (Or €150 @amazon.de)

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭yoshiktk

Polar101 wrote: »
    Samsung 970 Evo 1TB m2 for was pretty good I thought. (Or €150 @amazon.de)

Others have similar price, around 140+. Shame was expecting something more decent. Most of the special offers arent big savers compared to normal price, or atleast I haven't seen one yet.

yoshiktk wrote: »
    Others have similar price, around 140+. Shame was expecting something more decent. Most of the special offers arent big savers compared to normal price, or atleast I haven't seen one yet.

Sabrent Rocket 1Tb for £100 with 16% voucher
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07LGF54XR/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A3OPWMF9XBYSSI&psc=1

OSI wrote: »
    Both of which are next to useless. I had someone fraudulently use my PayPal account to set up a Netflix account. PayPal told me tough ****. I bought something via PayPal that later turned out to be fraudulently obtained and unusable. PayPal at least offered to investigate this time, but dropped it as soon as the vendor showed proof it had been delivered :rolleyes:

That's why merchants want you to use PayPal or their own Fraud Review system. They're typically more likely to side with the merchant. On the flip side, opening a dispute directly with your bank as fraudulent will typically be a win for you.

It also gets you blacklisted.

Amazon may be big and evil but its also fierce handy. Same for Paypal. I've never had a dispute go against me that I can recall with either.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

Any decent offers on 16gb of ddr4 RAM anywhere lads?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭SickBoy

RossieMan wrote: »
    Any decent offers on 16gb of ddr4 RAM anywhere lads?

https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057636491/77/#post110697720

Due to boards being absolutely useless with interlinking threads that leads me to amd Ryzen thread but no specific post.

RossieMan wrote: »
    Due to boards being absolutely useless with interlinking threads that leads me to amd Ryzen thread but no specific post.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07GL6CLTT/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

• Advertisement

Cheers for the links lads!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/team-group-dark-pro-8pack-edition-16gb-2x8gb-ddr4-pc4-25600c14-3200mhz-dual-channel-kit-black-my-08l-tg.html?campaign=affiliate/tag

This is reasonable price wise not the cheapest but it is the best of the best 3200MHz RAM with really tight timings.

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭z0oT

I'm sort of tempted to convert my home server which currently runs Windows 10 to Debian 10, since I used to use Debian 6 & 7 on the desktop years back.

It's powered by a Ryzen 3 2200G. It mainly runs Plex, Sonarr, Radarr, Jackett, qBittorrent/Deluge and acts as a backup NAS for me too.

I've been out of the Linux world for such a long time now, but I know there were some issues with Ryzen on Linux at the very start. Are there any particular Linux kernel versions to avoid?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,115 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

Any recommendations where to get Windows 10?

Directly off Microsoft is €145
    Currys is €140

Any where else worth checking out?

Amazon does not seem the most legit for windows (which seems crazy to me)

I'm not sure about the grey area sites, I nearly feel you'd be as well to give it the ol arrrrr treatment if you were going down that route.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,965 ✭✭✭mp3guy

Any recommendations where to get Windows 10?

Directly off Microsoft is €145
    Currys is €140

Any where else worth checking out?

Amazon does not seem the most legit for windows (which seems crazy to me)

I'm not sure about the grey area sites, I nearly feel you'd be as well to give it the ol arrrrr treatment if you were going down that route.

Something like this? https://www.amazon.co.uk/Windows-10-pro-key/dp/B07NWT3R41/ref=sr_1_14?keywords=Windows+10+pro+download&qid=1563287575&s=gateway&sr=8-14

I've bought keys on Amazon like this 4 or 5 times.

mp3guy wrote: »

I like the price but I feel like if the key is £5 that there is no way it could be legit

Its a REAL key but using it is still piracy.

If you're going to break the law, why pay?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,965 ✭✭✭mp3guy

Curious as to why it's piracy?

• Advertisement

Yeah that was my point with the going down the pirate route if going grey area, if you're going to be partaking in piracy you may as well not pay for it!

Scan.co.uk are €130 delivered , so they are the cheapest (presumably legit) so far!

Advertisement