Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off-Topic Thread V3.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

My aging hexa core Xeon is bottlenecking my Vega 56 by 16%

I don't care as I rarely play games on my PC any more and more on my Xbox One X.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭deceit

My gtx 1080 is bottlenecking my 1950x by 40%. I've been contemplating for a while upgrading. Might get an rtx 2080 super now.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

What percentage?

If I do it with 100% CPU and GPU clock it says its fine, 5-6% bottle neck. If I change it to close to what I'm actually running which is 110% CPU and GPU clock it says its 11%.

Interestingly if I leave the CPU as is and whack in a 2080ti it tells me I'd still be GPU limited at 4k in the "can I run it" calculator. That's hardly right!

EDIT:- in some games :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭deceit

.G. wrote: »
    If I do it with 100% CPU and GPU clock it says its fine, 5-6% bottle neck. If I change it to close to what I'm actually running which is 110% CPU and GPU clock it says its 11%.

Interestingly if I leave the CPU as is and whack in a 2080ti it tells me I'd still be GPU limited at 4k. That's hardly right!
    At above 1440p cpu's very little compared to Gpu's so I'd say it could be right.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,965 ✭✭✭mp3guy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

• Registered Users Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭Redfox25

Im at 35% bottleneck
    (i5 4690k and Vega 64)

The itch to upgrade is building, just need to get over the summer and pick up something Ryzen flavored once everything has settled down and have saved some cash.

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭Coyler

Redfox25 wrote: »
    Im at 35% bottleneck
    (i5 4690k and Vega 64)

The itch to upgrade is building, just need to get over the summer and pick up something Ryzen flavored once everything has settled down and have saved some cash.

i5-7400 and Vega 56. 40%. I got you all beat.

I'm slowly upgrading my old box and the Vega 56 was a great deal in February. I've been holding off for Zen 2 what I was going to pair it with. My problem is the second hand prices i7-6700K/7700/7700k are crazy when you compare them with brand new CPUs that have equal performance or better. I can't justify €250 for a second hand CPU in a platform that has no upgrade path.

Everything runs just fine so I'm not under any huge pressure to upgrade. I definitely have to trade off in some games which means I'm getting nearer to the point where I will want to upgrade. Not buying an Intel CPU again in a hurry, that I can tell you. Nice to know my Vega 56 has some more to go, though. I'll probably wait for the 3950X and go full UnRAID box :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭farna_boy

Coyler wrote: »
    i5-7400 and Vega 56. 40%. I got you all beat.

I'm slowly upgrading my old box and the Vega 56 was a great deal in February. I've been holding off for Zen 2 what I was going to pair it with. My problem is the second hand prices i7-6700K/7700/7700k are crazy when you compare them with brand new CPUs that have equal performance or better. I can't justify €250 for a second hand CPU in a platform that has no upgrade path.

Everything runs just fine so I'm not under any huge pressure to upgrade. I definitely have to trade off in some games which means I'm getting nearer to the point where I will want to upgrade. Not buying an Intel CPU again in a hurry, that I can tell you. Nice to know my Vega 56 has some more to go, though. I'll probably wait for the 3950X and go full UnRAID box :)

Lol, not quite, I got a bottleneck score of 42.4%. Yay! I'm running an i5 6500 with a Vega 64.

The only game that has given me problems so far is running the Division on ultra, but I just bought 32Gb of 3200MHz RAM so I'm hoping thst will ease some of that.

I feel your pain about upgrading. The way the prices are right now, it's probably best just to get a new Ryzen 3x00 and mobo for the price of a 7700k but I'll probably wait a few months and see what happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

100% bottleneck.

Yeah, should really upgrade that 7870.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,986 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

ED E wrote: »
    100% bottleneck.

Yeah, should really upgrade that 7870.....

Still a great GPU and the best buy I ever made.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Still a great GPU and the best buy I ever made.

Jan 2013, still playing games like Fallout (NV, not 4) on it. 140GBP, 156GBP in todays money. Thats €171.

Something like 7c per days service. Not bad team red. Not bad.

Hang on, I've a i3-2130 running in my plex/nas box. Maybe I can rip the boot drive out of this machine.. what?

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭z0oT

5.85% Bottleneck according to that tool. That's with a 6700k & a 1070. Both will be seeing upgrades at some point. The plan is to swap the 6700k for a 3700X, the GPU I think I'll wait until next year, even if a 5700XT is tempting just for the change.

https://pc-builds.com/calculator/Core_i7-6700K/GeForce_GTX_1070/0Fn0UNlu/8/
    Coyler wrote: »
    Hang on, I've a i3-2130 running in my plex/nas box. Maybe I can rip the boot drive out of this machine.. what?
    What have you got running on your Plex/NAS box?

I've Windows running on mine, but I'm considering jumping to either Debian or Ubuntu Server. Unraid is another that looks like it could be a great one for the job aswell.

I sort of like that I can just log into it and use it as a normal desktop to manage things via VNC, which has me considering Windows Server too.

Plus it works so well at the moment, I sort of don't want to bring it down for the 1 week or so that it'll take me to convert all the NTFS drives to EXT4 or build an array in Unraid.

Decisions, decisions...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭Shlippery

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    Found a handy new tool: the Bottleneck Calculator!

Here's how my machine stacks up: https://pc-builds.com/calculator/Core_i7-5820K/GeForce_GTX_1080/0BK0Uupy/16/

Wish I hadn't seen that.

https://pc-builds.com/calculator/Core_i5-600K/GeForce_RTX_2080/0O012llu/8/

Your processor is too weak for this graphics card.

Hurtful. Insensitive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Ah jeez, that is a fairly odd pairing, suppose it's very much game dependent though.

I can't see how a 6 core I5 from the current gen is a bottleneck of a 2080.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

I do a fair amount of performance profiling and in my experience bottlenecks move about all the time based on the code you're running. Say you've got a compute intensive process, if it is written to use a compute shader, the overall performance is determined by the GPU. If not, but it is properly multi-threaded it is determined by core count. If it isn't properly multi-threaded, it is determined by single core IPC and clock speed. Lots of older code doesn't leverage multi-threading and most non-graphics code doesn't leverage compute shaders. The only way you can realistically find the bottleneck running a given program is to profile it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

The 8600K is not current-gen; it's 20 months old at this stage.
    GN found *(in their 9600K review)* that due to its lack of hyper-threading, it could exhibit stutter (0.1% lows) in modern game engines.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

It's actually not at all really. I just saw the 600K part and thought it was a 4c/4t 6600K rather than the newer 8600K.

Strange results for the 8600K and 9600K in Far Cry 5 on GN. Horrendously poor 0.1% lows, not sure that's explained by lack of HT, 6/6 should be fine for that game.

The 50-odd fps 0.1% lows in AC: Odyssey I understand entirely, that game loves cores/threads, but it performs well in general and that game is a total CPU pig.

Overall though I don't think you have to broadly worry about an 8600K with a 2080 really.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

It's actually not at all really. I just saw the 600K part and thought it was a 4c/4t 6600K rather than the newer 8600K.

Strange results for the 8600K and 9600K in Far Cry 5 on GN. Horrendously poor 0.1% lows, not sure that's explained by lack of HT, 6/6 should be fine for that game.

The 50-odd fps 0.1% lows in AC: Odyssey I understand entirely, that game loves cores/threads, but it performs well in general and that game is a total CPU pig.

Overall though I don't think you have to broadly worry about an 8600K with a 2080 really.

It would be worth looking at task manager / perfmon or similar and see where the actual bottleneck is. If you're using a lot of threads, each thread can end up needing its own copy of memory based resources (e.g. chunks of the scene graph) so RAM becoming exhausted can be an issue. Same is true if you have more memory on the GPU than CPU, where the CPU can't feed data to the GPU quick enough. Don't know Far Cry but working on big virtual terrains or complex high polygon models can be very memory hungry.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭Shlippery

Ah my main vice is BFV and that's plagued with its own performance issues as of the past few months so I probably shouldn't read into it too much, especially with Battlefield being notoriously CPU intensive in general.

Should be easy enough switch to 8700/9700k in the future without going to _too_ much expense. Was willing to give Ryzen a crack but the hassle of the new motherboard and all would be more effort than it's worth!

:pac: happy to move along before we get too on-topic for an off-topic thread :pac:

I was pulling my hair out this week, my home internet connection was constantly being dropped. Looking at the router config, it was losing the IP (I've a static IP) via the WAN connection.

After a bit of back and forth with my ISP, they were able to tell me that the WAN connection to my router was flickering between connected and unplugged.

Dubious as I was, I replaced the ethernet cable and crimped up a new one, and no issues since.

Anyone ever have an ethernet cable go bad on them before?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Yes, quite a few mostly through wear and tear. I've invested in better quality ones recently rather than the cheapest I can find. I've also invested in rewiring the house in Cat6. Fun project

Yes, quite a few mostly through wear and tear. I've invested in better quality ones recently rather than the cheapest I can find. I've also invested in rewiring the house in Cat6. Fun project
    It's curious, I wouldn't have expected a cable to just fail outright the way it did. Continuity was ok with a cable tester interestingly.

Talking of Cat6, I ran some solid core Cat6 cables around our house just last weekend. We were using Homeplugs, but after some connection issues I decided on just running proper Cat6 cables.

It was a weekend of fishing cable through the attic, drilling holes in walls, and putting up cable conduit to make things as neat as possible. Well worth it in the end though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,638 ✭✭✭Inviere

z0oT wrote: »
    It's curious, I wouldn't have expected a cable to just fail outright the way it did. Continuity was ok with a cable tester interestingly.

Talking of Cat6, I ran some solid core Cat6 cables around our house just last weekend. We were using Homeplugs, but after some connection issues I decided on just running proper Cat6 cables.

It was a weekend of fishing cable through the attic, drilling holes in walls, and putting up cable conduit to make things as neat as possible. Well worth it in the end though.

Will be doing that soon enough myself, but it's an apartment so no attic...I've to go through a few walls so I think the neatest solution would be a combination of conduit and wall panels will be the neatest was possible.

They can fail, even through being stressed at the plug end by gravity.

If you ran solid core, make sure you terminate it at the wall(static point) and then run patch cords from there.
    Inviere wrote: »
    Will be doing that soon enough myself, but it's an apartment so no attic...I've to go through a few walls so I think the neatest solution would be a combination of conduit and wall panels will be the neatest was possible.

Or just pick up a decent wifi router. I mean cables are great but for 99% of use cases, wireless AC/5 and above work perfectly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭Ultrflat

hey every one,

Got a small question, I'm using an older display port cable I'm getting any where from 90 to 140 hz, and its seems fine. How ever I'm getting a flickering/strobing in dark place's I'm using an older display port cable, its only happened once. but its a concern?

What have you got running on your Plex/NAS box?

I've Windows running on mine, but I'm considering jumping to either Debian or Ubuntu Server. Unraid is another that looks like it could be a great one for the job aswell.

I sort of like that I can just log into it and use it as a normal desktop to manage things via VNC, which has me considering Windows Server too.

Plus it works so well at the moment, I sort of don't want to bring it down for the 1 week or so that it'll take me to convert all the NTFS drives to EXT4 or build an array in Unraid.

Decisions, decisions...

Ubuntu server currently. My box is headless most of the time so Linux just makes sense. It’s running 24/7 so I’m going to run that box as efficiently as I can. The i3 is so I can enable hardware acceleration in Plex. Think I pulled most of it out of a WEEE dumpster.

If I was planning an upgrade, and I am, unRIAD is your only option. You can virtualise any OS then and run any desktop on it’s own dedicated GPU. As I said in another comment, I’m planning on running 3 GPUs and my Plex box off the same CPU in the future.

Seeing as you just finished your cabling project, that another one for you to plan :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,638 ✭✭✭Inviere

Or just pick up a decent wifi router. I mean cables are great but for 99% of use cases, wireless AC/5 and above work perfectly.

I've a fundamental disliking of wifi tbh, maybe it's because I've been a VM customer for many moons & their wifi tech is garbage, but it's usually always, reliably, shite whenever I use it on anything other than a phone. I'm a firm believer in hardwiring static devices like pc's, media players, consoles, etc.

Advertisement