Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off-Topic Thread V3.0

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

I didn't say it was. It's just going in a direction with gaming that is very different from my values. Linux is getting some great support from preservationist type communities and I find it's a much better platform for older titles. I really like steam's direction with tech right now and there's projects like https://github.com/dreamer/luxtorpeda There's always some cool new tech. It feels like a fun platform for gaming that's always going forward and has a future.

Conversely any move microsoft makes in gaming tends to have ulterior motives from their embrace extend extinguish mission. It like it's always going backwards to me as a consumer and feels doomed to stay that path because of how terrible the company is. I haven't forgotten GFWL and the lack of graphic options for games on their store when they first launched, nor the disaster that W10 with updates, resets, telemetry and MC firing the entire testing staff.

So, just don't get your games from the Microsoft store and you don't experience any of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

I don't :)

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭z0oT

mp3guy wrote: »
    Can't say gaming on Windows today feels any different to 10/15 years ago to be honest.
    I'd agree.

I think everyone saw the new UWP platform, and freaked out thinking Microsoft would kill off the ability to install whatever software you want and turn Windows into an Apple-like proprietry walled garden.

Valve even went away and kicked off the whole Steam Machines movement in response, which to all intents and purposes is dead now as that nightmare scenario never happened. :p

I'll agree to disagree then :D Can't stand modern windows with its popups everywhere, literal malware messages that attempt to trick you and which you can't refuse. And of course all the security, privacy and forced update nonsense. It's an absolute pain when I have to use them at college so I'm considering buying a cheap laptop to bring in.
    z0oT wrote: »
    Valve even went away and kicked off the whole Steam Machines movement in response, which to all intents and purposes is dead now as that nightmare scenario never happened.
    The show ain't over yet with how bad MC can F up windows. But it's not just window - MC as a company are so overwhelmingly deplorable that I don't really have any incentive to touch their products.

Steam machines were a commercial failure but valve's investments into linux have been a great success. The amount of progress that has been made since proton launched is crazy and I'm personally happy as a clown about it.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,242 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

I'll agree to disagree then :D Can't stand modern windows with its popups everywhere, literal malware messages that attempt to trick you and which you can't refuse.

Bizarre, I used W10 each day and I never see these popups, literal malware message that attempt to trick me and I can't refuse? Mayhaps you should be a bit more cautious in your browsing?
    And of course all the security, privacy and forced update nonsense.

I've never understood peoples rebellion against this? Oh no, I have to let my PC restart for 5 minutes (I literally just had a security update) a few moments ago. It's grand and handy knowing the company is actively and constantly updating the security on my PC.
    The show ain't over yet with how bad MC can F up windows. But it's not just window - MC as a company are so overwhelmingly deplorable that I don't really have any incentive to touch their products.

Amazing, I've been reading about supposed downfall of Microsoft since Windows ME and yet here we are. Still going strong. And, yeah, I'll straight up say Microsoft have done some dodgy ass stuff over the years, but I'd love to find a massive corporation that's been around as long that hasn't.

• Advertisement

Sonics2k wrote: »
    Bizarre, I used W10 each day and I never see these popups, literal malware message that attempt to trick me and I can't refuse? Mayhaps you should be a bit more cautious in your browsing?
    What browsing? I don't use W10 at home and never have. I uninstalled W7 and haven't willfully gone near microsoft products since. My only exposure to W10 is public libraries, friends/family computers and college. Everything else is from tech news. Also the popups I speak of are from microsoft themselves. The internet explorer popup with the choice they want the user to select being highlighted. They do this all the time and some where there's no real way to say no to what they promp the user with. This is malware 101. Microsoft's approach with windows is that the OS imposes itself upon the user rather than serves the user and it's only getting worse. This is absolutely not what I want from an OS and so I don't use it.
    I've never understood peoples rebellion against this? Oh no, I have to let my PC restart for 5 minutes (I literally just had a security update) a few moments ago. It's grand and handy knowing the company is actively and constantly updating the security on my PC.
    People have lost data due to the computer forcing shutting down for updates. Its the butt of jokes about windows now and is a real problem with 10 that others didn't have as much. I even remember 7 having a popup where you cannot tell it to go away, only "ask me later". I had to look up a howtogeek tutorial on how to get it away for good.

There's no security on windows and there's no real knowing what those updates do except for what we can test; which is found that it reverts user settings, re-adds telemetry and compromises security, something MC have been doing for decades.
    And, yeah, I'll straight up say Microsoft have done some dodgy ass stuff over the years, but I'd love to find a massive corporation that's been around as long that hasn't.
    Other corporations being as bad doesn't make MC better nor is it an excuse that makes me like them or any want to use their products. From putting people in prison for recycling to intentionally compromising open source projects via infiltration and more updated version of EEE.

What browsing? I don't use W10 at home and never have. I uninstalled W7 and haven't willfully gone near microsoft products since. My only exposure to W10 is public libraries, friends/family computers and college. Everything else is from tech news. Also the popups I speak of are from microsoft themselves. The internet explorer popup with the choice they want the user to select being highlighted. They do this all the time and some where there's no real way to say no to what they promp the user with. This is malware 101. Microsoft's approach with windows is that the OS imposes itself upon the user rather than serves the user and it's only getting worse. This is absolutely not what I want from an OS and so I don't use it.

Again, as someone who actually uses the OS, there's no popups. Yes it recommends Edge (once like a year ago), exactly like how Chromebooks recommend Chrome and MacOS recommends Safari. They recommend they're own product as they support it. While certainly Windows 8 imposed it's godawful touch style UI on us, W10 is far far more like Windows 7 in overall usage and day to day use.

Keep working away in College, but while you're there, read up on what Malware is. Hint:

malware
    /ˈmalwɛː/
    Learn to pronounce
    noun
    software that is specifically designed to disrupt, damage, or gain unauthorized access to a computer system.
    People have lost data due to the computer forcing shutting down for updates. Its the butt of jokes about windows now and is a real problem with 10 that others didn't have as much. I even remember 7 having a popup where you cannot tell it to go away, only "ask me later". I had to look up a howtogeek tutorial on how to get it away for good.

Yup, this has indeed happened with the dreaded October updated that caused loss of data for some users. But here's a dirty secret for you, this happens with all OS's quite often. I worked for Apple and I can't tell you how many calls I got about lost information after a failed OS update, same can be said for Android and yes, various forms of Linux too. Software can break for a variety of reasons.
    There's no security on windows and there's no real knowing what those updates do except for what we can test; which is found that it reverts user settings, re-adds telemetry and compromises security, something MC have been doing for decades.

Wrong again! Microsoft (like all other developers) do provide a beta system and patch notes too. As for no security, I'm sorry to say that's yet another swing and a miss. Windows Defender has -massively- improved since earlier iterations, and yes, it was a joke back during Windows 7. Once again though, the -exact- same can be said about MacOS and ChromeOS. Software is inherently flawed, can break and can be compromised.
    Other corporations being as bad doesn't make MC better nor is it an excuse that makes me like them or any want to use their products. From putting people in prison for recycling to intentionally compromising open source projects via infiltration and more updated version of EEE.

Yup, corporations are ****ty. No arguing that. I will argue against the same nonsense I've been reading spouted by people who there information from shock jocks and click bait sites.

I used to think that way once too, but I sort of stopped caring. Windows just works for me now. I don't really care about what the OS is, just as long as my hardware and software works I'm happy.

On the server though I'd be leaning towards Linux. Windows Server 2016 from my brief toying around with it so far is quite nice to use, I'd probably opt for it for my home server, but sadly it's expensive though.

Again, as someone who actually uses the OS, there's no popups.
    Again as someone who is forced to use it for college, there is. Popups from the bottom bar or straight up box windows. Almost always about some kind of update of the system or specific software. They've caused frustrations for lecturer and student presentations on more than one occasion.
    They recommend they're own product as they support it.
    Reccomending their own product would be to say that on their site. Misleading the user in the actual OS with highlights, reversing yes/no option locations and having no way to say no etc these are classic malware & adware tactics, not recommendations. Designed to leash, trick and misinform the user. People just seem willing to excuse it because it's microsoft I guess.

It's ironic that they'd recommend their own stuff when they themselves don't even use it. Microsoft do not use windows for their important systems and then the hilarious blunder where they won't even use IE:

W10 is far far more like Windows 7 in overall usage and day to day use.
    Yeah so they literally have to revert back in order to be likable. This is exactly what I mentioned: Windows can't seem to go forward without becoming terrible. Meanwhile every major update I choose to install on linux tends to have lots of new features and actual security updates to the generally secure platform.
    software that is specifically designed to disrupt, damage, or gain unauthorized access to a computer system.
    Sounds like windows alright ;)
    Software can break for a variety of reasons.
    Yeah but that's not breaking because of an accident or oversight. Windows is designed this way. Failure by design. It will force update or something and it can reboot the system because I guess it still needs to reboot after an update... and all it does is update the OS. When I'm using my linux system it updates everything which actually make real changes I can see and benefit from and doesn't need to reboot. Except for kernel updates ofc which are also optional and never forced.
    Wrong again! Microsoft (like all other developers) do provide a beta system and patch notes too.
    They flushed their entire QA department 4 years ago.
    I used to think that way once too, but I sort of stopped caring. Windows just works for me now. I don't really care about what the OS is, just as long as my hardware and software works I'm happy.
    Power to ya - I always suggest people use whatever clicks with them. I helped build gaming system for my college peers and I put W10 on it and even try to optimise it for em'.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭deceit

I'll agree to disagree then :D Can't stand modern windows with its popups everywhere, literal malware messages that attempt to trick you and which you can't refuse. And of course all the security, privacy and forced update nonsense. It's an absolute pain when I have to use them at college so I'm considering buying a cheap laptop to bring in.

Steam machines were a commercial failure but valve's investments into linux have been a great success. The amount of progress that has been made since proton launched is crazy and I'm personally happy as a clown about it.:D
    As soon as all games I play are available on Linux I will very quickly wipe my Win 10 install and replace it for good.
    Its the only thing preventing me switching for good.

• Advertisement

Might be a while before that. Any game I can't play I just take it as a graceful culling of my massive backlog or similar to how some games are console exclusives. The most common cause of real incompatibility that I've faced are things like anti-cheat and DRM. But so far I'm having fun with Yakuza Kiwami 2, Tekken 7, Warframe and a mix of some pretty old games on DOS.

Right, this'll be my last response because this is just a back and forth with the same arguments I've seen with all the same conspiracy nonsense over the years.
    Again as someone who is forced to use it for college, there is. Popups from the bottom bar or straight up box windows. Almost always about some kind of update of the system or specific software. They've caused frustrations for lecturer and student presentations on more than one occasion.

There's a difference between a pop up (negative) and a system notification (positive). The -only- time you can't dismiss a system/security update with Windows is when you've done it repeatedly and it's being treated as urgent. Again, this happens on MacOS and ChromeOS and I believe on a few variants of Linux/Debian/Mint.
    Reccomending their own product would be to say that on their site. Misleading the user in the actual OS with highlights, reversing yes/no option locations and having no way to say no etc these are classic malware & adware tactics, not recommendations. Designed to leash, trick and misinform the user. People just seem willing to excuse it because it's microsoft I guess.

Again. Not malware. Also not misleading. "System update" is not misleading. It's literally saying what it is. And again (and all following points) each other OS does this.
    It's ironic that they'd recommend their own stuff when they themselves don't even use it. Microsoft do not use windows for their important systems and then the hilarious blunder where they won't even use IE:

It was hysterical yes. Also it happens quite often. Bill Gates even joked about his kids using iPhones and Sundar Pichai openly loves his iPhone.

Yeah so they literally have to revert back in order to be likable. This is exactly what I mentioned: Windows can't seem to go forward without becoming terrible. Meanwhile every major update I choose to install on linux tends to have lots of new features and actual security updates to the generally secure platform.

Yup, it's called customer feedback. It's a very important thing to listen to in business. Users didn't like the UI experience, and so it was removed with Windows 8.2 and further with W10. Linux tends to have a lot of new features added which are -already- on Windows and MacOS. Yes, I use Debian on a dual-boot and the additional customization is great.

I won't go through each of these, two are happening with all major OS's though. I couldn't be arsed to Google the middle two.
    Yeah but that's not breaking because of an accident or oversight. Windows is designed this way. Failure by design. It will force update or something and it can reboot the system because I guess it still needs to reboot after an update... and all it does is update the OS. When I'm using my linux system it updates everything which actually make real changes I can see and benefit from and doesn't need to reboot. Except for kernel updates ofc which are also optional and never forced.

It's a hell of a claim (and more conspiracy nonsense) to claim that Microsoft would intentionally release an update to break users systems.
    They flushed their entire QA department 4 years ago.

Ah I remember that big old claim too. Shame it was massively inaccurate and actually related to the culling of Nokia (a genuine tragedy in itself).

https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2014/08/how-microsoft-dragged-its-development-practices-into-the-21st-century/4/
    https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=12763389

Oh, and here's the link to the Insider program, which is their Beta testing system.

https://insider.windows.com/en-us/

Ah I remember that big old claim too. Shame it was massively inaccurate and actually related to the culling of Nokia (a genuine tragedy in itself).

https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2014/08/how-microsoft-dragged-its-development-practices-into-the-21st-century/4/
    https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=12763389

Oh, and here's the link to the Insider program, which is their Beta testing system.

https://insider.windows.com/en-us/

If I'm not mistaken Microsoft let go large numbers or testers after the Nokia culling.
    Barnaceles youtuber was one of them.

Biggest problem with Windows 10 is stability and spying (I use an app to reset all security changes - microsoft reverts them all the time).
    Microsoft changed their business model to be more like google so you are the product rather than the software (Satya Nadella's change to the company).

There's a difference between a pop up (negative) and a system notification (positive)
    The negative is when it's not microsoft and the positive is when it's by microsoft? Sorry but the bias there is showing. Notifications are subtle and off by default in any sane environment. They also don't take any action unlike I've seen windows doing when the user fails to tell it to stop. Timebomb 'notifications', just more pushing and shoving of the user that they love.
    The -only- time you can't dismiss a system/security update with Windows is when you've done it repeatedly and it's being treated as urgent. Again, this happens on MacOS and ChromeOS and I believe on a few variants of Linux/Debian/Mint.
    Maybe you wouldn't hear the same responses if you didn't also repeat yourself: "Happens elsewhere" isn't a defense of windows. It doesn't happen on my system or any linux install I've ever used. Nothing should be forced. User is the alpha and the omega, or ought to be. But to windows the user is a product... at best.
    Again. Not malware. Also not misleading. "System update" is not misleading. It's literally saying what it is. And again (and all following points) each other OS does this.
    No matter how many times you say X thing that has the exact characteristics of malware, isn't malware, doesn't make it so. I guess you simply can't accept it because it's by MC or for a product you like. None of the linux installations I've ever used prompted me with a window where there was no real way to say no, switched yes/no around to trick me to misclick or highlighted a button that looked like the install button to make me download some other crap they make money from.
    Yup, it's called customer feedback.
    It's called backpedalling because they didn't listen the first time (because they don't care until it causes huge outrage). Also I think W10 is largely based on plasma, a Linux environment. A recent leak also shows that it's transforming into what looks very like gnome.
    Linux tends to have a lot of new features added which are -already- on Windows and MacOS. Yes, I use Debian on a dual-boot and the additional customization is great.
    It's usually the other way around. A lot of distros experiment and come up with new things that the mainstream eventually adopts like I just linked. But I'll admit it's kind of comparing apples to oranges because the way windows decisions get made doesn't really apply to the linux landscape.
    It's a hell of a claim (and more conspiracy nonsense) to claim that Microsoft would intentionally release an update to break users systems.
    Not brick as in BSOD (although that happened with W10 a few times I think by accident) but they have indeed compromised security multiple times and work alphabet organisations to install backdoors. Yeah to the average user this isn't a concern but it ultimately means there's no security on windows. That's why nobody uses windows for anything important unless MC have literally swooped in to make deals, which MC does all the time to stay relevant to their biggest customers

You laugh at the 'conspiracies' yet 90% of the stuff I've mentioned is outright admitted by microsoft (sometimes in court) or proven by test. It's not some state secret :rolleyes: https://www.extremetech.com/computing/295445-microsoft-really-doesnt-want-you-to-use-a-local-windows-account
    Ah I remember that big old claim too. Shame it was massively inaccurate
    It's also a shame that W10 lifecycle has suffered almost exactly as if it has no QA. What are the odds.
    Ah jeez thanks dude. Here's a link to the some of the public PR and astroturfing services microsoft pays
    https://www.we-worldwide.com/
    https://www.edelman.com/
    https://www.crunchbase.com/organization/visibletechnologies

I see some career pages ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,965 ✭✭✭mp3guy

When I'm using my linux system it updates everything which actually make real changes I can see and benefit from and doesn't need to reboot. Except for kernel updates ofc which are also optional and never forced.

Forcing updates is what closes security holes. All those out of date Linux kernels running out there are just waiting to be exploited.

Linux updates are actually tremendously less stable than Windows ones. I've had countless distros break after official updates due to poor oversight by the distro contributors. Broken X, drivers, in one or two cases deleted data. Never happens on Windows. I disable updates in Linux because I know something will break. Don't need to do that in Windows. Microsoft has exposure, it has share holders and a share price, it has to attract talent to employee. Linux doesn't, some freelancer pushes a distro update that bricks everyone's install? Whoops, but no real repercussions.

Another incredibly frustrating part about Linux is just how much changes arbitrarily between versions. Some random person decides that menu item should be gone or that shortcut should change. You want it back? Go ahead, fork it and maintain it yourself.

I admire your dedication to the Linux cause but I think your blind faith is a little naive. Microsoft has tens of thousands of past, present and future employees, some of them people you've met or are friends with maybe. And they're not all in one big conspiracy to get Robert ninja. They're just engineers building a system for the most common PC users.

Forcing updates is what closes security holes. All those out of date Linux kernels running out there are just waiting to be exploited.

Linux updates are actually tremendously less stable than Windows ones. I've had countless distros break after official updates due to poor oversight by the distro contributors. Broken X, drivers, in one or two cases deleted data. Never happens on Windows. I disable updates in Linux because I know something will break. Don't need to do that in Windows. Microsoft has exposure, it has share holders and a share price, it has to attract talent to employee. Linux doesn't, some freelancer pushes a distro update that bricks everyone's install? Whoops, but no real repercussions.

Another incredibly frustrating part about Linux is just how much changes arbitrarily between versions. Some random person decides that menu item should be gone or that shortcut should change. You want it back? Go ahead, fork it and maintain it yourself.

I admire your dedication to the Linux cause but I think your blind faith is a little naive. Microsoft has tens of thousands of past, present and future employees, some of them people you've met or are friends with maybe. And they're not all in one big conspiracy to get Robert ninja. They're just engineers building a system for the most common PC users.

Me personally, I maintain both Windows and Linux servers (Windows server 2003-2019 with the odd NT system (usually dcs protected) and Linux mostly red hat with a few cent os and ubuntu systems).

I don't think I've seen anyone work on both red hat and windows and say windows is more stable than red hat linux.

Sure if you are using a cutting edge distro you might have issues but you select these distros as you want to experiment and give you the latest versions but Redhat is nearly always a much faster stable base to run apps from I find.
    Btw up until Win 10 I had no interest in moving to Linux as a desktop for my main rig. I was a windows desktop fan. I even loved Vista and windows 8 base (admittedly I had a very high specced rig at the time of Vista so I had no issues unlike other users bar a wireless driver that bricked my system when I didn't use a generic driver - manufacturer issue not microsoft).

Windows 10 forces updates as they don't want to pay for as many testers if they can force updates out on standard users. They use these users (ie me and you) as guinea pigs.
    They admitted to putting users running Windows 10 pro into beta programs for patches if they even clicked update patches once without telling them which caused me no amount of headaches until I figured it out.
    I ended up just joining my system to a domain and manage my patches with an Altiris patch management server to remove Microsoft randomly throwing out broken patches.

Edit:
    Wasn't Windows 10 deleting millions of users data recently because of an untested patch?
    Broken X, drivers. This always happens on windows? Its one of the biggest reasons I'm in a high paying job. Fixing things when Windows breaks stuff :D

Malarkey. W10 is one of the least, if not the least secure desktop platform and has had objectively more numerous and severe security and privacy issues than previous iterations and other platform. And this iteration is the last one according to MC too so we're stuck with it till the stars burn out. If one keeps up with practically any impartial or non-mainstream technology podcast or blog, it's 100:1 for objectively negative windows news vs linux.
    Microsoft has exposure, it has share holders and a share price
    You say that like it's a good thing. It answers to investors, governments, spying agencies and communist states with favoritism and other big tech giants. I'm none of those. The user is the product in windows now - they're trying to be google or apple. Not my cuppa
    I admire your dedication to the Linux cause
    There is no cause :pac:. Or if there is it's a lost one :D I doubt linux will ever be mainstream like windows and that's honestly ok because it doesn't have to. I just wish MC would stop trying to sabotage open source and linux related things, especially gaming via things like direct X :(
    Microsoft has tens of thousands of past, present and future employees, some of them people you've met or are friends with maybe.
    Yeah and not one of them is microsoft. People are not corporations :confused:
    And they're not all in one big conspiracy to get Robert ninja
    Of course not. Most people just use what works for em' or is default (MC made sure to be the default). Anyone parroting microsoft talking points has probably just been reading their funded outputs for years. 1
    It is a little funny though. If you read back a few posts all I was mentioning was my dislike for windows and how I chose linux as my main gaming platform whose flaws I've come to accept. It was everyone else who came runnin' to MC's defense and try to counter everything positive about linux. I'm not comin' back ya hear! :P At least not on any machine I ever have authority over.
    They're just engineers building a system for the most common PC users
    I've got absolutely nothing against the little guy making profit off of working for a big tech company like MC. These companies tend to have a life of their own or a couple of beady-eyed leads that stink up the whole thing. Happens with most big tech as we've seen. Can't blame someone for wanting a well paid job that they're interested in. Hell you wouldn't see me quickly turn down a job at MC - they use linux afterall :pac:
    [various linux criticisms]
    Look I won't pick apart every little thing here. There's lots of problems with every OS. I don't think linux distros are perfect, far F'ing from it. It's just the best alt to windows as a desktop imo. But I have uncommon taste so I know it's not the popular opinion. And I think it's safer to say I was pushed AWAY from windows onto linux than I was drawn to linux from windows.

Dependency Hell if you're trying to run the latest and greatest releases of software is another one. I've managed to break dependencies by adding 3rd part repos a good few times, even 3rd party repos for the very version of the distro I was running.

I had to settle for just using the distro's repos and running older software which I usually was okay with. (Although docker would solve a lot of those issues now)

If I wanted to run the latest and greatest software, the only guaranteed solution for me was to compile the application from source and build the packages myself. On Windows - just download the newer .exe and run it.

I've gone through the cycle:
    Windows -> Ubuntu -> Arch -> Slackware (Briefly) -> Fedora -> OpenSUSE -> Debian (For Years) -> Enjoyment -> Frustration -> Windows -> Contentment :pac:

Linux on the desktop will never be there. It's just too fragmented and disorganized with the thousands of distros out there. It'll never get the user base to rival Windows.

Just look at the way the upgrade from Gnome 2 to Gnome 3 spawned endless forks of Gnome 2 or the recent spat about systemd (which I actually quite like) becoming the default service manager. There's other examples aswell.

Dependency Hell if you're trying to run the latest and greatest releases of software is another one. I've managed to break dependencies by adding 3rd part repos a good few times, even 3rd party repos for the very version of the distro I was running.

I had to settle for just using the distro's repos and running older software which I usually was okay with. (Although docker would solve a lot of those issues now)

If I wanted to run the latest and greatest software, the only guaranteed solution for me was to compile the application from source and build the packages myself. On Windows - just download the newer .exe and run it.

I've gone through the cycle:
    Windows -> Ubuntu -> Arch -> Slackware (Briefly) -> Fedora -> OpenSUSE -> Debian (For Years) -> Enjoyment -> Frustration -> Windows -> Contentment :pac:

Linux on the desktop will never be there. It's just too fragmented and disorganized with the thousands of distros out there. It'll never get the user base to rival Windows.

Just look at the way the upgrade from Gnome 2 to Gnome 3 spawned endless forks of Gnome 2 or the recent spat about systemd (which I actually quite like) becoming the default service manager. There's other examples aswell.

I don't think anyone would say Linux is a better option for most desktop users. Its a good alternative when your sick of Windows.
    I've been running Ubuntu on my laptop for years without any big issues.

I was the same with systemd, I didn't like it at first but once I found some good documentation I really started to like using it. I find the biggest issue with Linux is the user-base really hates helping other people out with less knowledge than themselves.

If you think just having multiple forks of Gnome 2 is bad, don't forget their are more options like KDE/cinnamon/mate etc to make choices worse.
    The thing is this is a good and bad thing, you get lots more choice but also sometimes you don't get the best of everything you want.

With the dependency hell, this was a major issue in the past as the creators always wanted only one copy of a component installed. Some applications get around this by just bundling the required components in with their install (the windows way) and it works fine. I think the last time I had this issue was 4 years ago with a beta version of Teamviewer (for some people it could happen a lot more often I'm sure, just wanted to be clear on that, for these it might be worth using the likes of the Nix package manager to remove dependency issues).

The fragmentation argument has never floated though, since 1999 has been debunked. Choice and customisation is one of the draws of the platform. There's a bunch of different PDF viewers on windows but those users don't have meltdown about all that choice. But with things like the DE there's actually a choice on linux so... it's different :confused: I remember I used to use stardock solutions to try and change Windows 7 interface to be more functional and that was before I'd ever touched a linux system.

Since I mentioned PDFs though I have to post this halirious video of a guy getting so mad at how bad Adobe Reader is :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭Ultrflat

Any one got any head phone recommendations?

I've got a cheep pair of head phones how ever, Been looking at Sennheiser GSP 600s or 550s With no Dac. Any recommendations before i go blow my wallet :pac:

I have the 600's. Go with the Game One's which i also have. Much better.

If you don't need the mic then go with a nice pair of open back's.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Drop.com (formerly Massdrop) make some great models in collaboration with audio manufacturers. Can't say a thing wrong about my GAME ONEs though.

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    Drop.com (formerly Massdrop) make some great models in collaboration with audio manufacturers. Can't say a thing wrong about my GAME ONEs though.

mass drops only in America right?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭Xenoronin

Ultrflat wrote: »

Based in America, but ships internationally with the risk you might get caught with customs.

They do headphone's shipped from Europe now. Way too expensive even without the customs charges you'd get stung with if you use their US site.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Ultrflat wrote: »
    Xenoronin wrote: »
    Based in America, but ships internationally with the risk you might get caught with customs.
    They do headphone's shipped from Europe now. Way too expensive even without the customs charges you'd get stung with if you use their US site.

https://drop.com/all-communities/drops/european-audiophile-collection

Others to consider:
    Skullcandy SLYR
    HyperX Cloud Alpha
    SteelSeries Arctis 7 wireless
    Razer Kraken X
    Mionix Nash 20

PCGamer have great review roundups: https://www.pcgamer.com/uk/best-gaming-headset/

K.O.Kiki wrote: »

Thanks man, I decided to have a gamble came across these on amazon. They've got really good reviews.

So going to try them out. They look very similar to AKGS these ones here.
    Interested to see how good they are for the money. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭Xenoronin

Assuming a headset rather than headphones, I can recommend the steelseries arctis 7. Went on sale there last christmas so were pretty cheap. Battery lasts a good long time, way long than my corsair void did. Can charge and work at the same time (which apparently some headsets can't?). The ability to plug in a 4-pin has been dead handy for plugging into the work laptop when working from home. Also, chatmix is so useful. I always had issues balancing teamspeak vs game sounds so I could hear my friends so this just removes the need to enter menus. I can also dial my friends way down on the fly whenever I needed to listen to a cutscene or something. These creature comforts could probably have been replicated with a good macro setup, but I find that I forget which shortcut is which really quickly unless they are used regularly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,965 ✭✭✭mp3guy

Looks like I've found a supplier that will be shipping the XG438Q to me this Friday :D

Advertisement