Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off-Topic Thread V3.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

mp3guy wrote: »
    Looks like I've found a supplier that will be shipping the XG438Q to me this Friday :D

Nice. How much is that relieving your wallet of?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,965 ✭✭✭mp3guy

.G. wrote: »
    Nice. How much is that relieving your wallet of?

€1,251.19 all in. Considering I paid almost the same for the AW3418DW six months ago I think it's a fair price.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Man I'll never complain about Adverts again.
    The offers on Facebook marketplace I've had for my GTX 1080...

• Registered Users Posts: 28,041 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    Man I'll never complain about Adverts again.
    The offers on Facebook marketplace I've had for my GTX 1080...

I found it quite good when I sold my PS4. Had about 15 offers of €20 below asking price within two hours of posting the add. Had it up on Adverts for two weeks before that and was getting offers of €100.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭seraphimvc

guys i am planning to get a new pc between late-2019 and mid-2020 - any interesting timepoint between now and then that i should be aware of for my purchase?

I dont follow the hardware news/trends closely anymore (like i know the stuffs that everyone knows like AMD is blowing Intel's cpu out of water big time!) so any comment/advice is welcomed ha.

Essentially it will be a mid-range ish machine that supports average level of gaming, and this new pc idea is mainly because i would like to have a system that can support dual screens smoothly (rather than upgrading my current rig).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭Ultrflat

I just picked got my new headphones theses ones surprisingly nice and clear pretty well balanced, lads if you want cheep headphones these are worth build quality ain't amazing but the sound is amazing and there very comfortable.

488879.jpg

I would recommenced these, so much.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭Xenoronin

seraphimvc wrote: »
    guys i am planning to get a new pc between late-2019 and mid-2020 - any interesting timepoint between now and then that i should be aware of for my purchase?

I dont follow the hardware news/trends closely anymore (like i know the stuffs that everyone knows like AMD is blowing Intel's cpu out of water big time!) so any comment/advice is welcomed ha.

Essentially it will be a mid-range ish machine that supports average level of gaming, and this new pc idea is mainly because i would like to have a system that can support dual screens smoothly (rather than upgrading my current rig).

Nothing really comes to mind. Intel doesn't have an answer for AMD on desktop and it sounds like you're in their sweet spot if you aren't looking for the very highest fps in games (the 9900K is still king).

There may be new graphics cards from AMD in the pipeline, their Navi low and high-end GPUs. I don't really see there being an appreciable difference between the current low-mid (RX 570-590) range and a new Navi range, except power and thermals perhaps. The high end GPU is speculated for mid 2020 and will likely require forking over excessive amounts of money.

So, no, depending on your budget, whatever is available today, will likely still be a good choice in a few months.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭Shlippery

Xenoronin wrote: »
    Nothing really comes to mind. Intel doesn't have an answer for AMD on desktop and it sounds like you're in their sweet spot if you aren't looking for the very highest fps in games (the 9900K is still king).

There may be new graphics cards from AMD in the pipeline, their Navi low and high-end GPUs. I don't really see there being an appreciable difference between the current low-mid (RX 570-590) range and a new Navi range, except power and thermals perhaps. The high end GPU is speculated for mid 2020 and will likely require forking over excessive amounts of money.

So, no, depending on your budget, whatever is available today, will likely still be a good choice in a few months.

Feel like you'll always be chasing the dragon trying to plan ahead with Hardware.. I held out for a 2080 and sure in no time the 2080 Super was there to takeover!

There's tons of options there right now for what you're looking for, should keep you going for a couple of years!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,986 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Shlippery wrote: »
    Feel like you'll always be chasing the dragon trying to plan ahead with Hardware.. I held out for a 2080 and sure in no time the 2080 Super was there to takeover!

There's tons of options there right now for what you're looking for, should keep you going for a couple of years!

Or even better then that, if you built a mid-high spec machine 3-4 years ago to play 1080p/1440p games with something like a Ryzen CPU or I7, then your still playing games and getting decent frame-rates with no real massive frame loss for newer games.

I have a feeling current mid-high spec systems will last 6 plus years for their intended purpose. A 3600 and 5800/2060 for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,638 ✭✭✭Inviere

Never in my life have I seen 'instructions' more complicated, confusing, contradictory, and just outright useless, as I have for the CM Hyper 212 Evo for an AM4 chipset. Christ almighty. I've also never tore instructions up before, and just had to figure everything out by trial and error :mad:

TLDR - Don't buy a 212 Evo for use on AM4.

• Advertisement

Doesn't look that hard.

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭z0oT

Inviere wrote: »
    Never in my life have I seen 'instructions' more complicated, confusing, contradictory, and just outright useless, as I have for the CM Hyper 212 Evo for an AM4 chipset. Christ almighty. I've also never tore instructions up before, and just had to figure everything out by trial and error :mad:
    TLDR - Don't buy a 212 Evo for use on AM4.

The Hyper 212 Evo was a great cooler. I had it on a Phenom II, an FX-8350 and a 6700k, did a great job on all of them.

But the mounting mechanism was never something I liked. There's only a single screw/bolt pressing the cooler down onto the CPU, so it can easily rotate from side to side.

Got a Noctua NH-U12S recently. It's such a doddle mount and it's so firmly held in place. Expensive though.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

z0oT wrote: »
    The Hyper 212 Evo was a great cooler. I had it on a Phenom II, an FX-8350 and a 6700k, did a great job on all of them.

Also used Hyper 212 Evo on a couple of older 8350 builds, but needed to go youtube rather than reading the instructions. Still have an old TX3 Evo sitting on the shelf behind me that I could not for the life of me get to fit an AM3 mobo.

Doesn't look that hard.

It isn't, at all. The absolute mind**** though that CM call instructions, that's a whole other level. Basically it comes with a plastic container full of different screws, nuts, sticky pads, standoffs, different standoffs, and other assorted bits. The instructions didn't delineate anything, nothing at all...all the various videos online show how to install the 'upgrade kit' which comes with the exact screws you need, so no confusion there. Nowhere seems to show properly which parts you need from the SKU I have here...so you're left scratching your head wondering which are the Intel standoffs, which are the AMD standoffs, and so forth. Hugely unnecessary really.

I just said **** it, picked a set of standoffs, and had the cooler on and in place a few minutes later. I'm not sure though still, if I've used the right ones. Ryzen 7 2700 idling at 41c in the bios screen...seems a tad high no? Fair enough it is in a warm room (20 odd celsius), just thought it'd sit at a bit lower than that especially in the bios. I'm left wondering, days later still, if I've used the right standoffs...

I reckon that's about 10C higher than it should be.

I reckon that's about 10C higher than it should be.

Would I be right in thinking then the shorter standoffs, would equate to higher pressure on the cpu from the cooler, and that could be the issue?

Just on this one, the standoffs shown the video do not resemble the two types that came with mine...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

The cooler does not need to be tight tight. You should know from feel if it is sitting right. Once it makes contact that is all that is need though if it is loose then yes it would need to be done again.

The cooler does not need to be tight tight. You should know from feel if it is sitting right. Once it makes contact that is all that is need though if it is loose then yes it would need to be done again.

Yeah that's what I thought at the time, I shouldn't need to be swinging out of it to lock it down, which I didn't have to. I think I found out what was wrong anyway, I originally had everything wired up (fan wise) as per the Phantek instructions (case in an Enthoo Pro which has a fan hub). The instructions want the fan hub connected to the cpu_fan socket on the mobo, so I tried something different, and connected the cpu fan to the cpu_fan socket, and connected the hub to a chassis fan socket (then made sure to enable PWM mode on that socket in the bios).

Cpu is now sitting at 34c, with mobo at 27c. Happier with that, didn't like the idea of hitting 41c at idle...

• Registered Users Posts: 54,197 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Guys can anyone recommend an office chair to help back issues (especially lumbar region)

• Advertisement

Headshot wrote: »
    Guys can anyone recommend an office chair to help back issues (especially lumbar region)

https://usedaeronireland.ie/shop/

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Someone on adverts asking €200 but wants €180 for a GTX 980. Someone offered €100 and he refused, madness that's all it's worth.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Someone on adverts asking €200 but wants €180 for a GTX 980. Someone offered €100 and he refused, madness that's all it's worth.

Where are you seeing 980's for €100?

CEX will still buy GTX 980s for €94 cash/€132 credit so selling any lower is giving someone else free money.

Also it's worth way more than a GTX 1050.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

EoinHef wrote:
    Where are you seeing 980's for €100?

Someone offering a ridiculous offer doesn't make that the value of it.

People of adverts are the lowest of the low.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭EoinHef

RossieMan wrote: »
    Someone offering a ridiculous offer doesn't make that the value of it.

People of adverts are the lowest of the low.

Yeah id agree adverts can be a pain but that doesnt mean everyone is trying to rob people. I wouldnt pay €180 for a 980 but i also wouldnt sell one for €100

I'm a bit behind the times here, but as part of my 3700X & X570 upgrade, I've finally removed the last mechanical drive from my main desktop. I've now got just a 1TB PCIe 4.0 M.2 & a 2TB SATA SSD in the system. I just can't get over the total silence. :o

The only issue is the motherboard backplate doesn't let me fit the SSD bracket to the case any more so I'm only limited to 1 SATA SSD as opposed to 3. I do have dual M.2 though, the 2nd of which I'm not using.

I may mod the case though, it would only involve drilling a few simple holes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,553 ✭✭✭savemejebus

z0oT wrote: »

The only issue is the motherboard backplate doesn't let me fit the SSD bracket to the case any more so I'm only limited to 1 SATA SSD as opposed to 3. I do have dual M.2 though, the 2nd of which I'm not using.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Icy-Dock-MB082SP-Bracket-Quick-black/dp/B007BGTMFU

https://twitter.com/CelticThrowdown/status/1166710833377939456

signal-boosting

If anyone knows where they can borrow monitors at short notice, please DM @CelticThrowdown on Twitter

• Advertisement

Never knew those kind of things existed.

I've an ITX case though (Define Nano S) which doesn't have 3.5' bays per se. You can mount a single 3.5' drive in it verticially if you want. Not sure that would fit it.

lOGmkrE.jpg

Advertisement