Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off-Topic Thread V3.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Would you not just connect it up and leave it resting on the bottom, nobody would know just you of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭z0oT

Yes of course. I've done worse. I'd rather it was tidy though.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,986 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    CEX will still buy GTX 980s for €94 cash/€132 credit so selling any lower is giving someone else free money.

Also it's worth way more than a GTX 1050.

In relative terms, the 980 just pips out a 580/1060(8) in terms of performance.

So you can get a brand new 8gig of ram 580 card with a warranty for about 160 delivered or a 4-5 year old 2nd hand card for what? I don't think 100 quid is unreasonable.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

My upgrade fingers are itching.
    Going all red for the first time ever I think. 3700X + 5700 XT.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭Ultrflat

Have you seen the XFX 5700XT :eek: seriously sexy card.

The grill and the chrome trim looks like something of a 1950s car :cool:

489410.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Sapphire Pulse is better cooling though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭EoinHef

That'd be a nice system alright,what would you be upgrading from?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭seraphimvc

since you are talking old-ish cards...

I have been thinking to upgrade or make a new rig - essentially I have this small form factor rig with EVGA GTX 750 SC, i am wondering what would you do if you were me - will you replace it with 1050ti or 1060 or any decent card that is small in size and wont be too warm?

1050/1060 is like came out from 2016 :(not that they are old/dated (they are still good), but i am wondering now if i should wait for new generation of 'small' card.

I am inclined to upgrade the rig because I just love this Lian Li TU100, is timeless! (bought it since 2014)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

Ultrflat wrote: »
    Have you seen the XFX 5700XT :eek: seriously sexy card.

The grill and the chrome trim looks like something of a 1950s car :cool:

Yes classiest looking gpu I've ever seen. Sadly it is a ****e cooler that doesn't cool the VRM's very well and is supposed to have a lot of crashing issues.

seraphimvc wrote: »
    since you are talking old-ish cards...

I have been thinking to upgrade or make a new rig - essentially I have this small form factor rig with EVGA GTX 750 SC, i am wondering what would you do if you were me - will you replace it with 1050ti or 1060 or any decent card that is small in size and wont be too warm?

1050/1060 is like came out from 2016 :(not that they are old/dated (they are still good), but i am wondering now if i should wait for new generation of 'small' card.

I am inclined to upgrade the rig because I just love this Lian Li TU100, is timeless! (bought it since 2014)
    GTX 1650 is the fastest card your case can hold, but it's only useful if you absolutely must hold on to that chassis or need low-power operations.

If you must have a small case with carrying handle, how about SilverStone Milo ML08?

• Advertisement

GTX 1650 is the fastest card your case can hold, but it's only useful if you absolutely must hold on to that chassis or need low-power operations.

If you must have a small case with carrying handle, how about SilverStone Milo ML08?

Nice one kiki :D i mean the issue is what do i do with my current rig if i built a new one aha. if upgrading mobo, ram and gpu can last me for another 5 years, i am happy enough. I dont play graphics demanding game nowadays (mainly dota2, or MTGArena or some other old/odd games :pac:). I think I am going to get the 1650 during black friday week!

Hold on, i am seeing 1060 3GB (or 6) is better than 1650? but i guess the consensus is that 1650 is more future proof?

i actually dont mind about handle, i am more into casings that are minimal and 'dustfree'/easy to clean, that range from Silverstone looks nice actually, i might actually consider it lol (the handleless is only like £60)

I'm sort of tempted by the 5700 XT myself to be truthful. Christmas perhaps.

Last time I had an AMD GPU was an R9 290, and I ended up selling it due to driver issues, although I had a 7950 before that and it was 100% solid.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

I've had a R9 290, R9 fury X and currently a Rx Vega 56 and never had any driver issues.

Firestrike scores:

290: https://www.3dmark.com/fs/9410006 This is the only score I can find for my 290.

Fury X: https://www.3dmark.com/fs/13807977

Vega 56: https://www.3dmark.com/fs/20263140

seraphimvc wrote: »

Hold on, i am seeing 1060 3GB (or 6) is better than 1650? but i guess the consensus is that 1650 is more future proof?

I misread their specifications. It can fill regular height GPUs despite the site saying "low-profile".

Get a GTX 1660 instead of 1060 unless you find the latter (older) part for much cheaper.

Or if you want a new case, Lian-Li just announced the successor TU150: http://www.lian-li.com/pc-tu150/

Or if you want a new case, Lian-Li just announced the successor TU150: http://www.lian-li.com/pc-tu150/
    I'd seen that a few days back. It caught my eye, slightly smaller than the Define Nano S I have too.

Although I think for my next system I'll just go back to ATX. I like my big tower air coolers, and they make working in an ITX case incredibly difficult in comparison to regular ATX.

Plus, this case from Cooler Master, while not particularly high end is actually smaller than a lot of ITX cases, and will still house a full ATX size motherboard. It kind of makes ITX a bit pointless.
    https://www.coolermaster.com/catalog/cases/mid-tower/masterbox-q500l/

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

z0oT wrote: »
    I'd seen that a few days back. It caught my eye, slightly smaller than the Define Nano S I have too.

Although I think for my next system I'll just go back to ATX. I like my big tower air coolers, and they make working in an ITX case incredibly difficult in comparison to regular ATX.

Plus, this case from Cooler Master, while not particularly high end is actually smaller than a lot of ITX cases, and will still house a full ATX size motherboard. It kind of makes ITX a bit pointless.

That is a nice case. Is there any way to get it without the window? I hate windows on my cases.

It's supposed to be a hotbox though.

BloodBath wrote: »
    Yes classiest looking gpu I've ever seen. Sadly it is a ****e cooler that doesn't cool the VRM's very well and is supposed to have a lot of crashing issues.

I wonder did they do what MSI did and put really poorly sized thermal pads?

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Jo Satan

The pads look ok for size, maybe the contact with the Memory modules is not firm enough or the pads are low quality
    The guys who tested it at computeruniverse.de said that the fan noise improved by 4 decibels when they replaced the thermal paste on the gpu with Noctua paste.

The fans must be turning lower rpms to achieve the same temp 74c
    Which seems to be on of the coolest temp for a 5700xt at full throttle.

So it looks like XFX took shortcuts with paste and pads.

I have one arriving tomorrow/monday.
    So will have a look for myself.

11-1080.607301e7.jpg

• Advertisement

It's supposed to be a hotbox though.

for the TU-150 ah yes i saw it too! While it is a nice case but i simply dont feel like i would replace my TU-100 with it. If i didnt have a ITX build already then i would:D

for the CMQ500l:
    yes! thats what i heard, i heard some reviewer (the guy looks like a jesus) review that it is a hot box. and also the fact that it looks like it can gather so much dust.

I misread their specifications. It can fill regular height GPUs despite the site saying "low-profile".

Get a GTX 1660 instead of 1060 unless you find the latter (older) part for much cheaper.

It is a hard decision because 1060 3Gb is essentially same price as 1650 £150, and 1660 is like £220 - is 1660 worth the price? 1660 is technically like a 1070 isnt it :pac: performance wise any of them is good enough for me; and they dont have much difference between them, right?

(price is not an issue but my principle is that it has to be justified ha)

Another consideration is that my SFX PSU is 350W (from be quiet), wondering now should i get a new one....this has served me so well and SFX PSU is sooooo pricey

The 1660 & 1060 are both 120W TDP cards.
    A system with the 1660 will typically be under 260W.
    yes! thats what i heard, i heard some reviewer (the guy looks like a jesus) review that it is a hot box. and also the fact that it looks like it can gather so much dust.
    Steve is his name, hallowed are his benchmarks.

Stop me from buying an AIO.
    Plz.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,965 ✭✭✭mp3guy

Plz.

Don't buy one.

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭Coyler

Plz.

More expensive versus air with equivalent performance.

More complex with greater potential for damage if parts fails.

Not knocking it. They are cosmetically more pleasing than a big heatsink but that's all that you appear to be paying for. And if that's what you want, go for it.

But I suspect you know all this and you're conflicted :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,638 ✭✭✭Inviere

Plz.

Nah, buy an AIO....feck prudence.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

I hate the big air coolers, have had various AIO's since they became a thing and have never had one fail. Much more pleasing to look at too.

In short, get one :D

Damn it... I've just pulled the trigger on a Sapphire Pulse 5700 XT. :o

With my 3700X, it'll mark my 1st all AMD system since 2013 (FX-8350 & 7950). Hopefully it'll prove to be as solid as my 3700X has been thus far.

As for AIOs, I just never liked the idea of the added complexity they have with pumps etc. A big hunk of metal with a fan tied to it always seemed a lot simpler to me. Worst case scenario, just replace the fan, as it's all that can go wrong - my completely ignorant take on them.

• Advertisement

With my 3700X, it'll mark my 1st all AMD system since 2013 (FX-8350 & 7950). Hopefully it'll prove to be as solid as my 3700X has been thus far.

I had an FX-8350 with a 7950 got 4 years out of it before the mother board died. Was my first pc build and pretty ok if I recall. :pac: except boarder lands 2 it ran like arse for me. :(

Advertisement