Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off-Topic Thread V3.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭EoinHef

z0oT wrote: »
    Damn it... I've just pulled the trigger on a Sapphire Pulse 5700 XT. :o

With my 3700X, it'll mark my 1st all AMD system since 2013 (FX-8350 & 7950). Hopefully it'll prove to be as solid as my 3700X has been thus far.

As for AIOs, I just never liked the idea of the added complexity they have with pumps etc. A big hunk of metal with a fan tied to it always seemed a lot simpler to me. Worst case scenario, just replace the fan, as it's all that can go wrong - my completely ignorant take on them.

You gaming at 1440p? Nice build man,plenty of performance there

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭z0oT

EoinHef wrote: »
    You gaming at 1440p? Nice build man,plenty of performance there
    Yes as of a few weeks ago. I've this monitor:
    https://www.asus.com/ie/Monitors/MG278Q/

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

One of my AIOs failed today.
    TV set top failed yesterday.

FML.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,222 ✭✭✭Calvin

Does anyone know where I can get anti-static bags? Preferably in shops as I’m moving to the UK on Friday and completely forgot about them. Taking my PC across and removing GPU + HDD and bringing these in carry-on with the rest in check-in.

Also, anyone that has done this before... any advice? Or does this way sound pretty safe?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭Ultrflat

Bitwit has annoyed me a few times with comments.

But this video is Hilarious

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

So the tempered glass side panel on my corsair 570x just shattered into pieces in my hand, not cool! Was about the put it back in my case and it just went, didn't even touch anything with it. Crazy.

Have heard stories of it happening with the NZXT H500 too. Clean up in Aisle 2 !!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

Ventilation area increased by 400%

Have heard stories of it happening with the NZXT H500 too. Clean up in Aisle 2 !!

Yeah not pretty! Shards of glass all over the shop including in the case and components. Given the 570x is basically four bits of glass stuck to a chassis I'm afraid I may be here again at some point!

Wondering if heat may have played a part, since the 2080ti went in, I had noticed a substantial hot spot on the glass beside the Gpu. Had ramped up the case fan speeds to keep it cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,965 ✭✭✭mp3guy

.G. wrote: »
    Yeah not pretty! Shards of glass all over the shop including in the case and components. Given the 570x is basically four bits of glass stuck to a chassis I'm afraid I may be here again at some point!

Wondering if heat may have played a part, since the 2080ti went in, I had noticed a substantial hot spot on the glass beside the Gpu. Had ramped up the case fan speeds to keep it cool.

That's bizarre, where on the glass? Surely it wasn't venting towards it?

• Advertisement

mp3guy wrote: »
    That's bizarre, where on the glass? Surely it wasn't venting towards it?

It vents into the case, so the area beside it is the hottest. There isn't much clearance between the glass and the side of the gpu. You can see it from my pictures in the photo thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,419 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

• Registered Users Posts: 3,965 ✭✭✭mp3guy

Well my XG438Q finally arrived but the no free lunch is BGR subpixel ordering. It is fairly distracting and like the reviewer said you can only do so much with ClearType Tuner.

So my solution is buying one of these so I can flip the display 180 degrees and get RGB ordering.

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭yoshiktk

Just quick question. I'm looking for a small wireless touchpad, around 5cm x 5cm, does something like this even exist? Google just shows the ones with keyboard. The exception is one from Logitech, but its way to big for my project.

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭Coyler

Microsoft Arc Mouse? It can act as both a wireless mouse and trackpad.

Coyler wrote: »
    Microsoft Arc Mouse? It can act as both a wireless mouse and trackpad.

Isn't bad, but the arc would make it impossible for me to use it my DYI project. I'm looking for something to use as a touchpad for my phone which gonna be connected to infotainment screen in my car.

Anyone know is it possible to send audio from an Nvidia GPU to a home cinema system amp via HDMI without it sending the picture too? Idea is to send the picture via Displayport direct to the monitor and only audio to the amp via HDMI? I currently have it working but picture is sent over both cables so the Nvidia control panel thinks I have two displays but I don't so I just have the "second" display set to mirror the actual display. Figured this would be more taxing on the GPU but maybe it isn't.

I've seen the box of tricks do to that but not sure where. Hold on.

Something like this do? Can't confirm it's functionality but might get you on the right path.

yoshiktk wrote: »
    Isn't bad, but the arc would make it impossible for me to use it my DYI project. I'm looking for something to use as a touchpad for my phone which gonna be connected to infotainment screen in my car.

Going to ask the obvious question here but why don't you use you're phone as the touchpad? Fairly sure it's doable.

Going to ask the obvious question here but why don't you use you're phone as the touchpad? Fairly sure it's doable.

Isn't using the phone during driving prohibited? ;)
    My plan is/or was to hide all the cables and the phone in armrest and put the touchpad somewhere where it would be handy to use it.
    It looks that even the almighty Chinese aliexpress doesn't have it.
    So i'm in square one.

• Advertisement

Isn't using the phone during driving prohibited? ;)
    My plan is/or was to hide all the cables and the phone in armrest and put the touchpad somewhere where it would be handy to use it.
    It looks that even the almighty Chinese aliexpress doesn't have it.
    So i'm in square one.

As far as I'm aware it's only illegal to be holding a phone. Might look that up now.

As I'm doing that, going to ask another stupid question: Why don't you just install a touch screen?

Edit: Yep it's holding the phone. Confirmed through legal eagle. RSA seems to have a site which would confirm it but it's down.

As far as I'm aware it's only illegal to be holding a phone. Might look that up now.

As I'm doing that, going to ask another stupid question: Why don't you just install a touch screen?

Can't find a radio which would fill all my needs, without breaking the bank.
    So, for now, I want to DIY this

I have a spare chromecast, so wanted to give it a go.

Put it in a cradle and you're perfectly legal. Well, within reason. Wouldn't be watching Fair City on it with the Gardai over on the next lane.

But seriously, as long as you're using it for music, podcasts or directions it's no bother. Nothing more than what modern cars have already.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭farna_boy

Just quick question. I'm looking for a small wireless touchpad, around 5cm x 5cm, does something like this even exist? Google just shows the ones with keyboard. The exception is one from Logitech, but its way to big for my project.

What about something like this?

7" Touchscreen for Raspberry Pi:
    https://www.sparkfun.com/products/13733

Ok it's bigger than what you want but you should be able to find 2.5" or 3.5" versions too

• Registered Users Posts: 12,419 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

something like this?

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭z0oT

I just notice AMD offer the capability to buy Radeon & Ryzen stuff direct from them. Nvidia has offered this for a long time now, I never knew AMD offered it.

The prices for the 5700 series are quite a bit better on their website. Reference obviously so one would have to live with the blower cooler.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

z0oT wrote: »
    I just notice AMD offer the capability to buy Radeon & Ryzen stuff direct from them. Nvidia has offered this for a long time now, I never knew AMD offered it.

The prices for the 5700 series are quite a bit better on their website. Reference obviously so one would have to live with the blower cooler.

It seems that way until VAT is added and shipping. Go further through the buying steps and you see full price.

Skerries wrote: »
    something like this?

Wow. Thats great, it's exactly what I'm looking for.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Since when did amazon.co.uk start shipping items from France? It was a item sold by amazon too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,041 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Since when did amazon.co.uk start shipping items from France? It was a item sold by amazon too.

I've had a keyboard come from Germany when ordering from the UK site. Only found out when it missed the delivery date.

Ended up going from Germany to the UK to Ireland.

Advertisement