Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off-Topic Thread V3.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Is it a revison of the H500?

I love the look but in the H500 the GPU temps arent great. If it is a revision/different that may have changed though.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,041 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

EoinHef wrote: »
    Is it a revison of the H500?

I love the look but in the H500 the GPU temps arent great. If it is a revision/different that may have changed though.

Yea it seems to be an upgraded model. I haven't looked to much into it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

TitianGerm wrote: »
    Yea it seems to be an upgraded model. I haven't looked to much into it though.

It’s one of the most popular and common cases you will see used in builds the last 18 months.

TheDoc wrote: »
    It’s one of the most popular and common cases you will see used in builds the last 18 months.

I have a Cougar Panzer case at the minute but was looking for something "cleaner" looking. The H510 seems to be a bit smaller as well.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

NZXT H510 down to £55 on Amazon. Is there any reason why I shouldn't buy this ;)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07SGWLD2C/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_fUg2Db5RHS207

Have the NZXT 500 on my current build. Cable management is fantastic leading to a very clean build, but I found drive bay space limited and not very accessible and would have liked a DVD bay. Probably wouldn't be my first choice again.

No heat issues on a 1950x build with RTX2060, where the CPU is regularly full tilt on all cores though the GPU is generally idle.

• Advertisement

I have a Cougar Panzer case at the minute but was looking for something "cleaner" looking. The H510 seems to be a bit smaller as well.

Yeah I'm doing a new build and have that NZXT case picked out for a while. Either that or a Corsair Carbide, waiting on some prices on that as a family member works for a wholesaler so might work out better for me.

Probably make my choices next week, so underwhelmed by sales at the moment I'm half tempted to keep my case and fans and put the money I was putting there into getting a new GPU sooner

Yeah I'm doing a new build and have that NZXT case picked out for a while. Either that or a Corsair Carbide, waiting on some prices on that as a family member works for a wholesaler so might work out better for me.

Probably make my choices next week, so underwhelmed by sales at the moment I'm half tempted to keep my case and fans and put the money I was putting there into getting a new GPU sooner

I've Corsair Carbides on my previous two builds and find them grand though nothing much to look at. Going again, I really like the look of the Phanteks Enthoo Pro.

smacl wrote: »
    Have the NZXT 500 on my current build. Cable management is fantastic leading to a very clean build, but I found drive bay space limited and not very accessible and would have liked a DVD bay. Probably wouldn't be my first choice again.

No heat issues on a 1950x build with RTX2060, where the CPU is regularly full tilt on all cores though the GPU is generally idle.

I've one SSD and one HDD but no need for a DVD drive. Actually running a R7 1700 and a RTX 2060 as well.

I've Corsair Carbides on my previous two builds and find them grand though nothing much to look at. Going again, I really like the look of the Phanteks Enthoo Pro.

This morning I've actually nearly had a total change of heart. Was planning a white build with accompanying fans, aio and RAM but I'm sitting here looking at my Fractal Design R4, its about 6-7 years old but I still love it

I might actually knock all the aesthetics I was planning to do and put it into a 5700/5700xt

I would like to get an aio though, have been using a Coolermaster Hyper 212 EVO for absolutely YEARS and its pretty loud, wouldnt mind having something silent

I've one SSD and one HDD but no need for a DVD drive. Actually running a R7 1700 and a RTX 2060 as well.

Go for it so. Sounds like a great case for your needs and leads to a very tidy build.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭Homelander

What is with 2nd hand prices for expensive stuff. People wanting more for 2nd hand 9700 and 9900's then they cost new. OK. I will end up just buying a new 9700k or 9900k now, not because saving is small but because price is actually the same. I assume these people end up getting stuck with this stuff forever.

Go for it so. Sounds like a great case for your needs and leads to a very tidy build.

I ordered it last night :pac:

Folks temps on my CPU isnt something I've really cared about, but as I consider an AIO for purely aesthetics and reducing the footprint of the MASSIVe Hyper 212 evo I have I've been running Core temp all day, while I game etc

Four cores showing a min of 23 and a max of 64, that norma, bad,good ?

Folks temps on my CPU isnt something I've really cared about, but as I consider an AIO for purely aesthetics and reducing the footprint of the MASSIVe Hyper 212 evo I have I've been running Core temp all day, while I game etc

Four cores showing a min of 23 and a max of 64, that norma, bad,good ?

Totally fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

You think the 212 evo is massive? You should try 1 of the big noctuas.

Those temps are good. AIO's are good but come with their own problems, pump noise and lifespan. I'm going for a big air cooler for next build.

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭Coyler

Homelander wrote: »
    What is with 2nd hand prices for expensive stuff. People wanting more for 2nd hand 9700 and 9900's then they cost new. OK. I will end up just buying a new 9700k or 9900k now, not because saving is small but because price is actually the same. I assume these people end up getting stuck with this stuff forever.

It's not even for expensive or bleeding edge items. i7-6700k and i7-7700k asking prices are hilarious at this point. And not just the CPUs on their own. Go check the fully built systems with those CPUs for a good laugh.

Intel CPU second hand market has been bonkers for a while now given that Intel and vendors don't reduce the price of older parts. I mean, if they did they'd just be cannibalising their own market given the small difference in a day-to-day basis between a i7-6700k and i7-9700k, for example. Of course they could offer more cores but this is the business model Intel backed.

That and the bitcoin mania a while back. I cleared out quite a bit of old hardware then but I was shocked at what people were paying. I suspect we are still dealing with the fallout of that craze.

As for the fully built systems, I suspect they are buying second hand parts, for inflated prices, and are trying meet birthdays, the Christmas market and parents/buyers lacking in knowledge. I've no other explanation for the asking prices for those systems. Happy to hear any working theories.

Anyway, I suspect these are some of the factors to the high prices.

And, yes, your assumption is correct. The vast majority of ads are now just getting withdrawn but the market is due an adjustment. Seeing as you can pick up a brand new R5 3600 with Mobo and RAM for €350-400 that has a clear upgrade path, trying to sell a i7-6700k for €340 is a big ask.

Personally, I was kicking the tires of an upgrade but my machine is doing it's day job just fine so it was only ever going to be an impulse purchase. It's never materialised and now Santa in rolling in so I'm done for at least a few months now. I'm just keeping an eye on it now out of some odd fascination.

Elon really needs to upgrade the GPUs in his CAD workstations :pac:

dmjv3otspk041.png

BloodBath wrote: »
    You think the 212 evo is massive? You should try 1 of the big noctuas.

Those temps are good. AIO's are good but come with their own problems, pump noise and lifespan. I'm going for a big air cooler for next build.

Yeah it’s pretty big like. I was planning aio as I wanted to move to a smaller case. Also feel the 212 getting loud. I do have it about 8-9 years at this stage.

Decided in the end anyway to keep my current case fans and evo and out the money into maybe a new graphics card.

I bought a 1070 on release and tbh thought I wouldn’t need one another for donkeys but seems the current ranges really are significant. I game at 1080 144hz.

Thinking I might get a 5700 xt.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,914 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Elon really needs to upgrade the GPUs in his CAD workstations :pac:

cybertruck]

Intel HD graphics are a sight to behold. :o

Quick question - I have an AS Rock AB350 Pro4 and the BIOS version is P4.60 dated 15/01/18. Should I update this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Unless your having issues or the updated bios offers feature you want take advantage of its not really nessacery.

Sometimes the updates are just for compatibility or niche features which may be of no use to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Quick question - I have an AS Rock AB350 Pro4 and the BIOS version is P4.60 dated 15/01/18. Should I update this?
    https://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/AB350%20Pro4/#BIOS
    BIOS version 6.00

*ASRock do NOT recommend updating this BIOS if Pinnacle, Raven, Summit or Bristol Ridge CPU is being used on your system.

i.e. anything other than Ryzen 3000 series.
    Looks like they don't support past 5.80.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Depends on what chip you are running on it. If it is a first or second gen chip then no I would leave it but there may be security patches released so you may want to upgrade but if the upgrade is just for newer chips to be compatible then you can have issues I have read.

Up to you if you upgrade and have issues just clear cmos and reflash an older bios.

Thanks lads. I have a 1700 installed.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,986 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Yeah it’s pretty big like. I was planning aio as I wanted to move to a smaller case. Also feel the 212 getting loud. I do have it about 8-9 years at this stage.

It's a big hunk of metal, change the fan out for something else.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,986 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Its been this way for a few years, the thing is people are obviously buying at these stupid prices.

I don't even consider second hand now, just buy new and give away the old parts to friends/family.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

dycbF53.png

Userbenchmark is shíte, do not rely on them.

Your best bet for CPU comparisons is to just youtube "x CPU vs y CPU benchmark".

e.g.

A stock i5-7500/i5-8400 would beat an overclocked 3770K.
    And a Ryzen 2600X is better value than any of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭Homelander

no it wouldn't. not in 2019. try playing games that use beyond 4core/4thread and you will find the 3770 is a better cpu.

i don't know why you would say 7500/8400 as if they are the same, they are not. the 7500 is 4/4, the 8400 is 6/6

the fact that that video shows the 3770 keeping pace with the 8400 in many games clearly proves how unsuitable the 7500 is now, it is an entire 2 cores and threads below the 8400

i dont disagree that a ryzen 2600 is better value but that requires a whole platform change, motherboard, ram, etc. if i had a 3570 and money was tight, a 3770 is a good upgrade for 75 euro.

• Advertisement

no it wouldn't. not in 2019. try playing games that use beyond 4core/4thread and you will find the 3770 is a better cpu.

i don't know why you would say 7500/8400 as if they are the same, they are not. the 7500 is 4/4, the 8400 is 6/6

the fact that that video shows the 3770 keeping pace with the 8400 in many games clearly proves how unsuitable the 7500 is now, it is an entire 2 cores and threads below the 8400

i dont disagree that a ryzen 2600 is better value but that requires a whole platform change, motherboard, ram, etc. if i had a 3570 and money was tight, a 3770 is a good upgrade for 75 euro.
    The 3770K is barely keeping pace - overclocked to the max @ 4.7GHz
    The extra thread count of the old i7 doesn't matter.

i7-minimum-fps.png

Face it, they're old tech.
    Sell the current setup for €100-150.
    Upgrade to Ryzen 2600 for €250 or hunt for a used i5 system with DDR4.

Advertisement