Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off-Topic Thread V3.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Install the correct newest bios from manufacturers website on a USB stick. And boot straight into bios and update. And then do a clear the cmos.

Get the chipset driver from AMD directly rather than from MSI as they put bloatware with it and the newest is always on AMD's website.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,041 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

.G. wrote: »
    Have the urge to change case again. I do that alot. Really like the look of the Lian Li pc o11 dynamic, trouble is I only got a Corsair Crystal 570x about 18 months ago, it's still perfect. Might get a decent price for that on adverts. Decisions.

The O11 Air is down to £102 on Overclockers

https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/lian-li-o11-air-rgb-3352695

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

Prefer the glass front, stop trying to spend my money :D

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Just dawned on me my monitor is Gsync, swopping over to an AMD 5700XT, that's going to need a monitor swop out too isn't it? :'(

• Advertisement

Install the correct newest bios from manufacturers website on a USB stick. And boot straight into bios and update. And then do a clear the cmos.

Actually can't remember the last time I had to do that

TheDoc wrote: »
    Actually can't remember the last time I had to do that

I used to not do it either but it is good practice to do it after a bios flash.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭SickBoy

Any recommendations for a good 27" 1440 144hz monitor?
    Budget around €400-€500.
    Not interested in any bling like RGB logo projection..
    Was looking at the Pixio PX7 Prime on Amazon but it doesn't ship to Ireland for some reason even though other monitors sold by Pixio / dispatched by Amazon do...

Thanks in advance for any help.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,798 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

SickBoy wrote: »
    Any recommendations for a good 27" 1440 144hz monitor?
    Budget around €400-€500.
    Not interested in any bling like RGB logo projection..
    Was looking at the Pixio PX7 Prime on Amazon but it doesn't ship to Ireland for some reason even though other monitors sold by Pixio / dispatched by Amazon do...

Thanks in advance for any help.

You can get the Asus ROG Swift PG278QR for £373 on Amazon Warehouse right now. (Like New condition)

This is how I bought mine and when it developed a fault 2 years later, asus sent me a brand new replacement.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-listing/B01LWQGIUR/ref=olp_page_3?ie=UTF8&f_all=true&startIndex=20

It says £455 but when you go through to basket, it goes down with the 20% off.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,539 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Folks just reading about my incoming parts.

MSI Tonahawk Max and Ryzen 5 3600. Reading the bios needs updating ?

Saw a video from MSI themselves showing how to update bios from USB. Handy I came across it as I can prep that now.

Is it possible maybe my mobo can be ready to use Ryzen and if so how do I tell before building?

Don’t want to put this all together to have to take apart

Dont worry about it, I got the Tomohawk Max the other day with the 3600 and it worked without a bios update at all :)

The only issue I had was with the ATI Graphics drivers (Red Devil 5700XT), I installed the latest version and all I could get was "no display" so rolled back and installed the previous version and no issues at all :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭Xenoronin

Just dawned on me my monitor is Gsync, swopping over to an AMD 5700XT, that's going to need a monitor swop out too isn't it? :'(

Only if you want to keep the adaptive sync. Otherwise it'll work just fine.

MiskyBoyy wrote: »
    You can get the Asus ROG Swift PG278QR for £373 on Amazon Warehouse right now. (Like New condition)

This is how I bought mine and when it developed a fault 2 years later, asus sent me a brand new replacement.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-listing/B01LWQGIUR/ref=olp_page_3?ie=UTF8&f_all=true&startIndex=20

Thanks for the reply.
    When I add that to my basket there is no change in the price though :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭M00lers

Thanks for the reply.
    When I add that to my basket there is no change in the price though :(

Discount will be deducted at check out. Approx £374

Just researching that monitor and it was released 5 years ago, surely there's better panels available now?
    I'm sure a good chunk of that price is made up by g-sync.
    Free/Adaptive sync is fine by me.
    Any other recommendations?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Kimbot wrote: »
    Dont worry about it, I got the Tomohawk Max the other day with the 3600 and it worked without a bios update at all :)

The only issue I had was with the ATI Graphics drivers (Red Devil 5700XT), I installed the latest version and all I could get was "no display" so rolled back and installed the previous version and no issues at all :)

The Tomahawk Max comes with Bios ready for 3rd gen Ryzen. The regular Tomahawk does not. The regular tomahawk does have a flash bios button though on the motherboard to update the bios without a CPU installed.

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭celticsfan

Folks...was gonna buy a PSU for my build,found the same one in the amazon warehouse in "like new" condition,good idea or bad idea do you think?? never bought anything from the warehouse before so not sure what to expect but you read some stories of people pulling the old switcharoo etc

Xenoronin wrote: »
    Only if you want to keep the adaptive sync. Otherwise it'll work just fine.

That even a big deal? Not sure I even know what it does tbh

I noticed when I got my current monitor, going 60 to 144hz holy **** what a difference never going back. But not sure I know what Gsync does

In saying that, maybe thats the point. IT's doing something I take for granted that without I'd notice?

It eliminates tearing and stuttering at lower framerates without introducing lag like Vsync does.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

In a nutshell, if your GFX card is pumping out 100FPS, it sets the refresh rate to 100Hz to match with it and avoid tearing and stuttering. If your rate drops to 60, or goes up to 120, the monitor goes with it which results in a smoother experience overall. You'll need to have VSync turned on in your games for it to work (at least you do with GSync - Freesync may work differently).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,965 ✭✭✭mp3guy

Shiminay wrote: »
    In a nutshell, if your GFX card is pumping out 100FPS, it sets the refresh rate to 100Hz to match with it and avoid tearing and stuttering. If your rate drops to 60, or goes up to 120, the monitor goes with it which results in a smoother experience overall. You'll need to have VSync turned on in your games for it to work (at least you do with GSync - Freesync may work differently).

There's actually a fair bit of debate around if and where you should enable VSync. Consensus with NVIDIA is VSync and G-Sync on in NVIDIA control panel, VSync off in game settings with max frame rate capped 3 FPS lower than monitor max refresh - https://www.blurbusters.com/gsync/gsync101-input-lag-tests-and-settings/14/

Also need "Exclusive" fullscreen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭Xenoronin

Not quite correct.
    https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/918492-g-sync-with-v-sync/?do=findComment&comment=11261025

TL;DR: With G-Sync on you can enable or disable V-Sync. Possible screen tearing with V-Sync on (framerates above monitor refresh rate), and possible input lag with V-Sync off (due to update rates delayed by limiting max framerate). Ensure you use the nvidia control panel to enable v-sync if you choose to do so. Disable it in game.

The blurbusters article is better.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

celticsfan wrote: »
    Folks...was gonna buy a PSU for my build,found the same one in the amazon warehouse in "like new" condition,good idea or bad idea do you think?? never bought anything from the warehouse before so not sure what to expect but you read some stories of people pulling the old switcharoo etc

I'd say PSU is the one thing you shouldn't skimp on.
    The cheapest I can recommend (based on PSU tier list) is be quiet System Power 9 500W - that should drive any modern system fine.

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    I'd say PSU is the one thing you shouldn't skimp on.
    The cheapest I can recommend (based on PSU tier list) is be quiet System Power 9 500W - that should drive any modern system fine.

Thanks mate.. its an EVGA Supernova G3 750W gold rated :)

Riiigghhhtt.

OK so I may still be in CS1.6 days, but I turn vsync of in literally every game by force of habbit haha

Kimbot wrote: »

Hmm yeha might just leave it be an install away.

Parts actually arrived today, way ahead of my expectations so I didn't prep the USB key or whatever.

Will just go ahead as normal and sure see if a bios or driver update is something I need to do once built. Think osmeone mentioned here in a previous post there being CPU drivers or something I should be getting after install

mp3guy wrote: »
    There's actually a fair bit of debate around if and where you should enable VSync. Consensus with NVIDIA is VSync and G-Sync on in NVIDIA control panel, VSync off in game settings with max frame rate capped 3 FPS lower than monitor max refresh - https://www.blurbusters.com/gsync/gsync101-input-lag-tests-and-settings/14/

Also need "Exclusive" fullscreen.

This is how i have my system set up and it runs flawlessly.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

celticsfan wrote: »
    Thanks mate.. its an EVGA Supernova G3 750W gold rated :)

There's an XFX TS 750W (non-modular) for £60.51

However, if it's just a single-GPU gaming PC with a few hard drives/SSDs then 500W is plenty.

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    There's an XFX TS 750W (non-modular) for £60.51

However, if it's just a single-GPU gaming PC with a few hard drives/SSDs then 500W is plenty.

Cheers for the reply again, I got the evga for 69£ so touch wood it all goes smoothly being a warehouse deal haha

• Registered Users Posts: 8,798 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

Just researching that monitor and it was released 5 years ago, surely there's better panels available now?
    I'm sure a good chunk of that price is made up by g-sync.
    Free/Adaptive sync is fine by me.
    Any other recommendations?

It was released around Mid 2017?

• Advertisement

It was released around Mid 2017?

Whoops, that's what I get for researching on my phone..
    Still though, it's an older model. The Pixio PX7 Prime I was looking at on Amazon has a 144hz IPS panel. This is impressive to me but I have no first hand experience of it :(

Advertisement