Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off-Topic Thread V3.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Well had my first problem on my Ryzen system. Today when I started up the computer it took about a minute to boot up and I thought that was odd. But I thought nothing of it. And just about 10 mins ago a fan was doing my head in and thought my GPU fan was on the way out or the chipset fan was starting to go noisy. So I shut down the computer and booted into bios and got the message that the bios was reset so I loaded up my bios settings and back to a quiet system.

I wonder what caused the bios to reset. At least I know now if it takes a while to boot up again that I will just have to load up my saved bios profile. So it's not a big deal or blue screen or anything but I will keep an eye on it.

Used happen to me too but not happened in quite a while. Gigabyte board?

Used happen to me too but not happened in quite a while. Gigabyte board?

Yea Gigabyte.

Yea. I'm not sure why it kept on doing it but now i have the latest X570 BIOS and AMD chipset drivers, it hasn't happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

Got my XFX DD RX 5700 today. Time to find out of this card is a piece of crap or not. Much fiddling ahead.

Plan on flashing it with a 5700xt BIOS. Overclocking and undervolting, maybe even power play tables.

Anyone know of a good GPU becnhmark that doesn't push the CPU too hard? Haven't replaced the 3770k yet so I don't want it to bottleneck benchmarks.

• Advertisement

BloodBath wrote: »
    Got my XFX DD RX 5700 today. Time to find out of this card is a piece of crap or not. Much fiddling ahead.

Plan on flashing it with a 5700xt BIOS. Overclocking and undervolting, maybe even power play tables.

Anyone know of a good GPU becnhmark that doesn't push the CPU too hard? Haven't replaced the 3770k yet so I don't want it to bottleneck benchmarks.

Don't flash a 5700XT bios unless it is a reference model.

Get MorePowerTool as it is easy to use and is the same as PPTables.

Don't flash a 5700XT bios unless it is a reference model.

Get MorePowerTool as it is easy to use and is the same as PPTables.

Why not? Doesn't flashing it increase the artificial frequency cap that AMD have put on the cards or will the PPTables do that as well?

The reference model PCB's are the same. AIB cards are different with their custom PCB's.

MorePowerTool will be the same as flashing a XT bios. But remember if you use MPT you will have to increase the fans to compensate as the cards are not designed to run higher frequency's with the fans at stock speeds.

Thanks. I'll give it a try.

What benchmarks do you use?

BloodBath wrote: »
    Thanks. I'll give it a try.

What benchmarks do you use?

Timespy mostly due to it being the newest. I did use Firestrike but that was designed for older Hardware. But you can still use it to compare to your older scores.

• Advertisement

Timespy mostly due to it being the newest. I did use Firestrike but that was designed for older Hardware. But you can still use it to compare to your older scores.

Need something that doesn't go too high in fps as the cpu will probably start limiting things then. Timespy should do the trick.

@Bloodbath how are you getting on with the 5700?

Any issues with MorePowerTool?

Card installed and working fine. Major unforeseen issue though.

My main monitor is one of those Qnix 2710's, 2560x1440 110Hz overclock but it's DVI-D only.

I don't know what I was thinking. The card has no DVI-D connections. Only 3 display ports and a HDMI. I have a HDMI to DVI converter cable but it's only single link so doesn't work. The active dual link converters cost a bomb for some reason.

Kinda stumped now really unless I can find a workaround. I'd sooner get a new monitor than pay the price of those converter cables/boxes.

Got that Corsair M65 elite mouse as well. It looks and feels great so far. Maybe a little small for my hands but I'm getting used to it. Also missing the 2 extra buttons that the Logitechs have but I'm not sure how usable they are. Little bit of buyers remorse on that 1.

What about display port to dvi?

I looked into it and read you can have mixed experiences even with expensive adapters. As such it is not worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭Recurve360

Its been this way for a few years, the thing is people are obviously buying at these stupid prices.

I don't even consider second hand now, just buy new and give away the old parts to friends/family.

I do much the same. As i'v upgraded over the years I have built my nephew a PC with a fx6300 and GTX780 out of spare parts and built my parents a pc for general browsing thats running an Xeon 1231(overkill I know). Its genuinely not worth selling them for parts!

Some benchmarks from before and after the upgrade. The 970 was overclocked to around 1400/8000. The 5700 at stock.

More than double the graphics score. 970 was maxing around 80c. 5700 65c gpu, 72c at junction.

Forgot to resize images so I won't link them directly.

The image sharpening is nice but it seems to be doing it on 2d loading screens as well which can make them look pretty bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭MRTULES

Folks is 180 for an RX 590 a good price or just standard? Seems lower than a lot of others.
    https://www.amazon.fr/gp/aw/d/B07PHY5K6L/ref=ox_sc_act_image_1?smid=A1X6FK5RDHNB96&psc=1#

• Registered Users Posts: 13,986 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

MRTULES wrote: »
    Folks is 180 for an RX 590 a good price or just standard? Seems lower than a lot of others.
    https://www.amazon.fr/gp/aw/d/B07PHY5K6L/ref=ox_sc_act_image_1?smid=A1X6FK5RDHNB96&psc=1#

Seems ok, I suspect they are clearing stock for cheaper Navi cards in Jan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭Homelander

The prices have dropped a lot of places due to the gtx1650 super and gtx1660 super cards, former is very similar to a 590 for same price and uses less power, latter is decently faster for not much more.

still a good deal though because it has more vram than the 1650 super and still has a really good games promo which is well worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

MRTULES wrote: »

RX 590 was a DOA card - only saved by being bundled with Resi 2 & Devil May Cry 5 which made it a good deal.

Also it sucks up power.

You're better off buying a GTX 1650 Super or RX 580 8Gb, or spending a few bob more for GTX 1660/1660 Super.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,195 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Guys can anyone recommend a really fast laptop that will be only using for browsing the internet, nothing else

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭L

Headshot wrote: »
    Guys can anyone recommend a really fast laptop that will be only using for browsing the internet, nothing else

If it's just for browsing the web, then anything with an SSD should be fine? What else are you looking for outside of "fast"?

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭MRTULES

Folks, I'm looking for any recommendations on a budget 27inch 1080p monitor please.
    Currently thinking about this one for €150 in Currys
    https://www.currys.ie/ieen/computing/pc-monitors/pc-monitors/samsung-s27f354-full-hd-27-led-monitor-black-10198989-pdt.html

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭HeartOfTheCity

If anyone is considering a 5700 XT card, I picked up the Sapphire Nitro+ during Black Friday and haven’t regretted it one bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

If anyone is considering a 5700 XT card, I picked up the Sapphire Nitro+ during Black Friday and haven’t regretted it one bit.

Planning out which one I want. That card of yours comes out a lot as highly recommended. Think a little over what I want to end though.

Looking at their pulse model for 440 euro

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭HeartOfTheCity

TheDoc wrote: »
    Planning out which one I want. That card of yours comes out a lot as highly recommended. Think a little over what I want to end though.

Looking at their pulse model for 440 euro

Take a look at the Gigabyte Gaming OC variant as well - very similar price, and was picked as best pound-for-pound card by GamersNexus

• Advertisement

New AdoredTv video on YouTube. Intel deliberately fooling potential customers with screwed benchmarks.

Advertisement