Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off-Topic Thread V3.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

Shouldn't have cost that much. Price on the card has even gone down to £293.

How much is paypal fee? Was around €355 for me through debit card. Amazon charge a silly amount for currency exchange too.

Always pay in pounds and let the bank handle the exchange.

Anyway if you don't like it it's easy to return. That's why I got it. If it turned out to be junk I was sending it back.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

BloodBath wrote: »
    Shouldn't have cost that much. Price on the card has even gone down to £293.

How much is paypal fee? Was around €355 for me through debit card. Amazon charge a silly amount for currency exchange too.

Always pay in pounds and let the bank handle the exchange.

Anyway if you don't like it it's easy to return. That's why I got it. If it turned out to be junk I was sending it back.

Got it from CCL so came in at £310 incl delivery, but **** me that really threw me off. No big deal I guess, if anything rules me out of the Xt range which I was toying with since that puts those cards into the €450 bracket now which I don't want to spend on a GPU

Anyway I'm sure it will be grand :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭M00lers

M00lers wrote: »
    Just after mangling a load of pins on my 3700x....fu£#!
    ****in amateur hour mistake, I was swapping coolers and was doing it without having warmed up the PC. Removed cooler and CPU was stuck to cooler and I didn't notice, was twisting and pulling and dragging before I noticed.
    I may have salvaged it though, a tweezers (thanks the verge ;) ) and a Stanley blade and it's now sitting back in socket. Should've been a surgeon. Hopefully it will post/boot up.
    Paste was like glue and held the CPU on cooler and then it popped out like the retention bracket wasn't even there. Wouldn't mind but I've done it before myself with an old FX jobbie, you'd think once is enough to learn... obviously not!

Just an update on this, I straightened the pins and it sat back in perfectly but I couldn't get PC to post.

Well after a long back and forth with AMD they agreed to replace my 3700x (took a lot of persistance to get a result). New CPU is being delivered today....:D....hopefully I can finish this build tonight, its taken a month longer than it should have.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Are you sure you didn't use super glue as thermal paste?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭M00lers

Are you sure you didn't use super glue as thermal paste?

It was whatever was applied on the AMD stock cooler at the factory...or at least that's what I told AMD warranty dept.:cool:. They took some convincing mind you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭minitrue

TheDoc wrote: »
    EDIT: OK what the **** just happened to the exchange rate. Paypal just charged me €380 for that card....
    The little thing called the UK Election. Stirling flew up at 10pm when the exit poll was released so you might literally have bought at the worst time imaginable (throw in a paypal rate premium from the sounds of it). Not sure if it came back down a bit fropm the peak but today's ECB rate is 0.835 and you paid 0.815. Last stuff I bought was when it was just over 0.9 at the start of August :-D

I've a feeling this forum needs a thread on sane sites to order from in mainland Europe now :-/

minitrue wrote: »
    The little thing called the UK Election. Stirling flew up at 10pm when the exit poll was released so you might literally have bought at the worst time imaginable (throw in a paypal rate premium from the sounds of it). Not sure if it came back down a bit fropm the peak but today's ECB rate is 0.835 and you paid 0.815. Last stuff I bought was when it was just over 0.9 at the start of August :-D

I've a feeling this forum needs a thread on sane sites to order from in mainland Europe now :-/

haha yeah sorry was tongue in cheek, knew it was from the election but I would have thought a Tory win would settle things a bit.

I did literally buy at like 01:00 where results were being confirmed haha

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Ryzen 3600X running on MSI B450 Carbon AC.
    No BIOS issues.

Will look into setting up StoreMI with 480Gb NVMe + 4Tb HDD.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,195 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Guys I will be installing a SSD into a laptop, so can I just reinstall windows via an ISO and it will pick up that's the same laptop minus the hard drive and wont need a new license key?

Headshot wrote: »
    Guys I will be installing a SSD into a laptop, so can I just reinstall windows via an ISO and it will pick up that's the same laptop minus the hard drive and wont need a new license key?

Should do once you log in with the account details.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

Just received this thing and I'm super impressed after a quick calibration and ost settings fix. It was bad out of the box. Still needs a bit of fine tuning but first impressions are great. 0 dead or stuck pixels. 0 backlight bleed. No strobing backlight. Very little IPS glow. 1 tiny patch on the bottom. Best I've seen from an IPS. Great 10 bit wide gamut colours. Solid metal stand. FreeSync 30-95hz range. Came with a HDMI 2.0 cable. Has 1 HDMI 2.0 and 1 Display port.

Ordered it Wednesday and received it this morning via parcel motel delivery. Around €225 to the door. Huge recommendation.

Only bad things were colours/brightness/contrast out of the box but it's easily fixed and the ost menu and navigation is pretty crap but has all the essential settings. Even has crosshair support and HDR but the HDR ain't great. No height adjustment either but at this price you can only get so much.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07TXHBWMK/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A1CAORI1L0FBRC&psc=1
    Got it from CCL so came in at £310 incl delivery, but **** me that really threw me off. No big deal I guess, if anything rules me out of the Xt range which I was toying with since that puts those cards into the €450 bracket now which I don't want to spend on a GPU

Anyway I'm sure it will be grand :D

The monitor is pushing that 5700 harder than the 1080p 1 I was using. It's definitely audible now. Next thing on my list to fix.

Gonna try undervolting it and setting a custom fan curve. Don't understand how such a huge heavy cooler is struggling with a 170w card.

Hmm getting this weird problem the last few days.

Turn on pc and CPU fan goes crazy and the monitor fails to detect an output. Have to restart via case button and then all goes fine. Really annoying.

And thankfully an aio is coming to me. The AMD stock fan is a disgrace. Unbelievably loud and seems to take ages to settle down.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Turn on pc and CPU fan goes crazy and the monitor fails to detect an output. Have to restart via case button and then all goes fine. Really annoying.

And thankfully an aio is coming to me. The AMD stock fan is a disgrace. Unbelievably loud and seems to take ages to settle down.

Bios update? Any bios debug lights/beeps on POST?

Despite it not getting hot, I notice this fan noise. I tweaked fan curve in bios as its overly aggressive. Now at something far more acceptable.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭SickBoy

Sounds like a cold boot issue to me.
    Haven't come across one in a while now though.
    Cold be a sign of component failure.

I wired up a switch from CPU fan to 5v and 12v and flick to silent or loud depending on what I am doing. Tbh I only put it at 12v if I was benching(haven't ran a bench in weeks) and leave it at 5v all the time even gaming. Pure silent.

SickBoy wrote: »
    Sounds like a cold boot issue to me.
    Haven't come across one in a while now though.
    Cold be a sign of component failure.

Yeah it’s just weird that a restart and everything is fine.

Bios update? Any bios debug lights/beeps on POST?

Despite it not getting hot, I notice this fan noise. I tweaked fan curve in bios as its overly aggressive. Now at something far more acceptable.

No beeps or lights I can see or hear.

Only thing I notice is the cpu fan goes mental on boot. Calms down a few minutes when I’m into my desktop

Yeah it’s just weird that a restart and everything is fine.

Cold boot issue in a nutshell.
    Do you have an aggressive overclock on memory, CPU or GPU? Or an undervolt? If so night be worth adjusting it.

Cold boot issue in a nutshell.
    Do you have an aggressive overclock on memory, CPU or GPU? Or an undervolt? If so night be worth adjusting it.

Never overclocked in my life. Everything just stock and normal. Only started last few days. First week or so of new parts everything was fine

Never overclocked in my life. Everything just stock and normal. Only started last few days. First week or so of new parts everything was fine

Have you the memory set to XMP, if not it might not be getting enough volts initially on cold boot.

• Advertisement

Have you the memory set to XMP, if not it might not be getting enough volts initially on cold boot.

Erm. I don’t know tbh. I don’t generally mess with anything so I’ll check if this is on

• Registered Users Posts: 54,195 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Erm. I don’t know tbh. I don’t generally mess with anything so I’ll check if this is on

if I was you id check RAM

Make sure it sitting correctly and if you have 4 sticks for example, take 1 one and test with just 3 and so forth

Have you the latest bios from MSI and latest chipset drivers from AMD?

If XMP is on run it for a while(as in a few days) with memory at stock(XMP turned off) and see.

Have you the latest bios from MSI and latest chipset drivers from AMD?

If XMP is on run it for a while(as in a few days) with memory at stock(XMP turned off) and see.

Nah I didn’t do anything with AMD drivers or bios in the end since it all just booted up fine and was working without issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,144 ✭✭✭shanec1928

any recommendations for where to pick up monitors? or is amazon the best place?

So my graphics card (XFX RX 5700 DD) arrived a day ahead of schedule. CCLonline really impressed me, used them for this effective platform change and their delivery is top notch.

On the RAM front, noted that the XAMP thing was not turned on, so turned that on. First boot from cold there with new GPU in, same problem. Hangs around then eventually says display not found. Reboot and instantly works fine

Checked BIOS and its showing DDR4 3200 and 16GB. Must check BIOS from a cold boot to see what it says about memory there

Failing that will try headshots suggestion of just one stick(I've two sticks at present) and see if thats anything to do with it

And failing that will look for a BIOS update or something

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

So my graphics card (XFX RX 5700 DD) arrived a day ahead of schedule. CCLonline really impressed me, used them for this effective platform change and their delivery is top notch.

On the RAM front, noted that the XAMP thing was not turned on, so turned that on. First boot from cold there with new GPU in, same problem. Hangs around then eventually says display not found. Reboot and instantly works fine

Checked BIOS and its showing DDR4 3200 and 16GB. Must check BIOS from a cold boot to see what it says about memory there

Failing that will try headshots suggestion of just one stick(I've two sticks at present) and see if thats anything to do with it

And failing that will look for a BIOS update or something

Updating the Bios and then the AMD chipset driver should be your first port of call.

So updated the chipset and associated drivers, BIOS didn't have an update seemingly 3.30 is the latest?

Issue still happening.

Some googling transpires this is a pretty widespread problem. Most people complaining that it's a BIOS issue MSI need to resolve.

Pretty disappointed to be honest this is how I have to start my PC. My Dad also got onto me about his new build constantly crashing. Again googled and see its a widespread problem that he needs to use wattman to manually adjust stuff on his card.

We both then remembered why we left AMD and went to Intel and Nvidia, AMD have this horrible nack of just not working out of the box and needing all fiddly **** to make it just work as expected.

Pretty annoying, hopefully can sort this out soon. Like once the PC is on it's fantastic, the performance increase in games is really noticable for me so happy with the purchases I made and feel it was in the end bang for my buck

So updated the chipset and associated drivers, BIOS didn't have an update seemingly 3.30 is the latest?

Issue still happening.

Some googling transpires this is a pretty widespread problem. Most people complaining that it's a BIOS issue MSI need to resolve.

Pretty disappointed to be honest this is how I have to start my PC. My Dad also got onto me about his new build constantly crashing. Again googled and see its a widespread problem that he needs to use wattman to manually adjust stuff on his card.

We both then remembered why we left AMD and went to Intel and Nvidia, AMD have this horrible nack of just not working out of the box and needing all fiddly **** to make it just work as expected.

Pretty annoying, hopefully can sort this out soon. Like once the PC is on it's fantastic, the performance increase in games is really noticable for me so happy with the purchases I made and feel it was in the end bang for my buck

I wouldn't be blaming AMD for this.
    It is not happening on all AMD platforms right? Just your specific MSI motherboard so the blame lies squarely with them.

The wattman issue you mention is probably something similar. AMD unlike Nvidia do not make any graphics cards. So if you're having an issue with a GPU that can be fixed with wattman then the chances are it's a poor AIB card that is not running to spec therefore causing crashes.

AMD released wattman to allow people get more control of their cards for tinkering / overclocking purposes and it's a damn good tool if you ask me! Fair play to AMD for releasing it.

My advise, keep an eye on the support download pages of the components you're having problems with and if you see anything like firmware / bios updated for them, apply them and you should see positive results.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭z0oT

Yeah... I've a 3700X, RX 5700XT, and a Gigabyte X570 ITX board, and I've no cold boot issues. My case fans & CPU fan do spin up to nearly full tilt after powering it on initially though, but that's the only similiarity.

It isn't really AMD that's to blame if it's a BIOS problem exclusive to MSI boards but not others - different boards will have different firmware and do different things. One annoying issue I did have was the BIOS locking up if I'd CSM on and an M.2 drive in either M.2 slot, but that was thankfully resolved with a firmware update.

Asus owners had/have different issues, MSI, ASRock could have other issues. It's a good idea to trawl the MSI/Gigabyte/ASRock forums (and everywhere else) to try and identify board problems before you buy any board.

On another note I too did find the stock AMD Wraith a disaster for noise with the 3700X, replaced it with a Noctua NH-U12s. On the other hand, I've an R3 2200G in my server, and the stock Wraith Stealth cooler that was bundled is perfectly fine on that - nigh on silent.

Advertisement