Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off-Topic Thread V3.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

It's not AMD's fault as I have been using AMD cards for a few years. R9 290, R9 Fury X, Rx Vega 56 and now a Rx 5700 XT never any issues. I even now have 3700X and have no issues either.

Are you using a Ryzen power plan in Windows 10?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

My fans do the same thing on startup. It's intentional. I assume its to blow any dust and crap that might have settled out of the system.

It did it with my old asus intel board and the gtx 970 as well so it ain't an amd thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

SickBoy wrote: »
    I wouldn't be blaming AMD for this.
    It is not happening on all AMD platforms right? Just your specific MSI motherboard so the blame lies squarely with them.

The wattman issue you mention is probably something similar. AMD unlike Nvidia do not make any graphics cards. So if you're having an issue with a GPU that can be fixed with wattman then the chances are it's a poor AIB card that is not running to spec therefore causing crashes.

AMD released wattman to allow people get more control of their cards for tinkering / overclocking purposes and it's a damn good tool if you ask me! Fair play to AMD for releasing it.

My advise, keep an eye on the support download pages of the components you're having problems with and if you see anything like firmware / bios updated for them, apply them and you should see positive results.

Yeah I have the live updater thing so when updates come about I'll give them a whirl

Ah look I know its not their fault, just personal experience is a "thing" that Intel/Nvidia just always work and AMD always needs fiddling. Like I said in my experience

but I'm pretty happy as is my Dad we are back AMD, kinda where it all started for us with AMD parts and maybe it will get me back into overclocking and ****ing around with things I stopped doing for so long

It's not AMD's fault as I have been using AMD cards for a few years. R9 290, R9 Fury X, Rx Vega 56 and now a Rx 5700 XT never any issues. I even now have 3700X and have no issues either.

Are you using a Ryzen power plan in Windows 10?

Yeah put that in place yesterday after updating the chipset. Still happening unfortunately

Ah look I'm only moaning, all in all I'm thrilled with performance stuff

But when I was helping my Dad with his card, the internet is literally LITTERED with stuff on how to fix. It was clearly a widespread problem with that card. Sure might be XFX fault but the laymen (and I don't pretend to be an enthusiast) collates those things all down to the big three, Intel, Nvidia or AMD :)

BloodBath wrote: »
    My fans do the same thing on startup. It's intentional. I assume its to blow any dust and crap that might have settled out of the system.

It did it with my old asus intel board and the gtx 970 as well so it ain't an amd thing.

Well now the platform I just swopped out was pretty much dead silent

Oddly enough just as I turned on PC this evening, the CPU fan didn't decide to spinitself into the future.

Maybe something came with all the updates I did, I dunno, but its going anyway for an AIO :D

• Advertisement

I think it is a motherboard thing because my old Asrock didn't do it with a 3570k and the same 970.

When I changed to the Asus board with the 3770k it started doing it with the 970 and also the 5700.

I'm using an AIO and it ramps those fans on startup too. At least I think it's the AIO fans.

I haven't checked to see which fans are doing it but it only goes on for about 5 seconds on cold boot.

On a side note, having not used AMD in a long time, their software has massively improved. Their new radeon software from the recent update is just great. All the options, info and control you could want with a great UI and easy to bring up and tinker with while you are in game with per game and global settings.

I find it a lot better than Nvidias now.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,539 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Not the greatest of pics, I'll get better tomorrow if I get a chance :)

https://imgur.com/a/BOtiqQf

Well FFS

I just bought Total Warhammer II on sale as I was waiting to get it for new upgrades. Can't get past the menu before PC either totally crashes and restarts or I get a green bar across the bottom and ahve to quickly alt-f4. So now MY GPU is acting up aswell, pain in the hole

EDIT - In the Radeon software changed the profile to "Standard" from "gaming" started to work fine and no problems. Got my Dad to change his to standard and he seems fine now for a bit too. Maybe one of the new Radeon things is a funny? All this anti input lag **** I've never bought into anyway and normall turn off, just didnt see this is where it all was for Radeon

• Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Could well be a memory issue,have you run mem test on the sticks one at a time after the bios update?

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭MRTULES

Folks, looking for recommendations for a psu and gpu totaling less tha 200 euro including any shipping etc. Ideally to arrive before xmas but understand if that's not possible

• Advertisement

MRTULES wrote: »
    Folks, looking for recommendations for a psu and gpu totaling less tha 200 euro including any shipping etc. Ideally to arrive before xmas but understand if that's not possible

Second hand on adverts is best especially for the price range and to receive for Christmas. Very late to order from UK especially this time of year and so close to Xmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭MRTULES

Second hand on adverts is best especially for the price range and to receive for Christmas. Very late to order from UK especially this time of year and so close to Xmas.

Thanks for that. What would you go for otherwise if time wasn't an issue (it's more a nice to have).

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

MRTULES wrote: »
    Thanks for that. What would you go for otherwise if time wasn't an issue (it's more a nice to have).

GPU: XFX RX 570 8Gb - £124
    PSU: Corsair CX 550 - £49.99

Delivered by Monday 23rd with Prime.

EoinHef wrote: »
    Could well be a memory issue,have you run mem test on the sticks one at a time after the bios update?

So after changing the Radeon software to standard we both had a full night no issues. Was the first time I was experiencing crashes but my dad couldn’t launch any game.

He had a full night no issues.

Obviously one of those bull**** optimization things doesn’t work right. So turning them all off and happy days.

I don't use the anti lag. As far as I can see all it does is remove any fps caps you might have on.

I prefer my frame rates capped to the monitors refresh. No point wasting power and pushing it outside of it's freesync range so I have radeon chill enabled with a max frame cap 2 frames lower than monitors max refresh. Min a couple of fps below that. This keeps it in the freesync range.

Don't bother with radeon boost either. It lowers game resolution if performance drops.

The image sharpening is nice. I have that on with default settings.

Enhanced sync off. Freesync enabled of course.

BloodBath wrote: »
    I don't use the anti lag. As far as I can see all it does is remove any fps caps you might have on.

I prefer my frame rates capped to the monitors refresh. No point wasting power and pushing it outside of it's freesync range so I have radeon chill enabled with a max frame cap 2 frames lower than monitors max refresh. Min a couple of fps below that. This keeps it in the freesync range.

Don't bother with radeon boost either. It lowers game resolution if performance drops.

The image sharpening is nice. I have that on with default settings.

Enhanced sync off. Freesync enabled of course.

I didn't set these, it was only through troubleshooting my Dads problem did I get the Radeon software that has all the stuff in it.

Saw the "gaming profile" and all the Radeon things that like I say I generally consider marketing bollox that doesnt work, so when I turned them all off bang, everything working fine.

On his PC first, where literally every game crashed, and for me when Total War II was crashing.

Yeah I'm same as you, if there is an option to cap framerate I generally set it to 144

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,539 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

TheDoc wrote: »
    So after changing the Radeon software to standard we both had a full night no issues. Was the first time I was experiencing crashes but my dad couldn’t launch any game.

He had a full night no issues.

Obviously one of those bull**** optimization things doesn’t work right. So turning them all off and happy days.

I had something like this happen during my build. MSI Software and Radeon Software both have boost options so one was set to on and causing different problems. Both set to default sorted it haha

• Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭EoinHef

So after a month of back and forth with Logitech support over keys on a G910 Orion Spectrum double pressing they sent a replacement that arrived yesterday. The keyboard was 3 years old so was out of warranty.

I have to give props to them as its the second time they have replaced a product outside of their warranty period.

They did need a reminder that irish law supercedes their "warranty" ie expected lifetime but they got there in the end.

Delighted to have a btand new keyboard now,its like a little christmas present for me:D

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭z0oT

EoinHef wrote: »
    So after a month of back and forth with Logitech support over keys on a G910 Orion Spectrum double pressing they sent a replacement that arrived yesterday. The keyboard was 3 years old so was out of warranty.

I have to give props to them as its the second time they have replaced a product outside of their warranty period.

They did need a reminder that irish law supercedes their "warranty" ie expected lifetime but they got there in the end.

Delighted to have a btand new keyboard now,its like a little christmas present for me:D
    Logitech customer support is really good from my experience too.

I had them replace a G500s mouse for me that was randomly double clicking. They actually replaced it with the newer G502 Proteus Core since the G500s was out of production, in effect giving me a free upgrade at the same time. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭yoshiktk

Just a quick one.
    Graphic card buy now or wait for January, for some special offers? I'm aiming at Rx5700xt.

• Advertisement

yoshiktk wrote: »
    Just a quick one.
    Graphic card buy now or wait for January, for some special offers? I'm aiming at Rx5700xt.

Most likely wouldn't be shipped till then so no biggie to wait. Doesn't really be sales for this type of thing, though I could be wrong about that.

Most likely wouldn't be shipped till then so no biggie to wait. Doesn't really be sales for this type of thing, though I could be wrong about that.

I know, I've to wait till Monday to play with my new "toys", most of the sellers which I've checked had delivery around the 30th+.
    Though that there could be some New Year special offers available.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,195 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

I think it's time to go down the 4K monitor route

I currently have a Dell Alienware 34" Curved AW3418DW which is one of the best monitors you can get but I'm tired of getting work arounds for 3440 X 1440 21:9 to work :/

The really tough one will be getting a 4K monitor 32inch or higher that is at least near the quality of the AW3418DW

• Registered Users Posts: 3,965 ✭✭✭mp3guy

Headshot wrote: »
    I think it's time to go down the 4K monitor route

I currently have a Dell Alienware 34" Curved AW3418DW which is one of the best monitors you can get but I'm tired of getting work arounds for 3440 X 1440 21:9 to work :/

The really tough one will be getting a 4K monitor 32inch or higher that is at least near the quality of the AW3418DW

It's not possible. I tried to find that mystical monitor and it doesn't exist. Even the new ASUS XG438Q is a pile of blurry garbage compared to the AW3418DW.

I ended up buying a ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q 27" 1440p for gaming and a ViewSonic VP3268-4K 32" 4K for productivity.

Low motion blur, high refresh rate, resolution and screen size. Choose 3.

Really enjoying how my PC is crashing. So the "cold boot" seems to have just randomly fixed itself, but now in Total Warhammer II I'm at this battle, where the game loads then PC crashes.

Just comes up saying "No display found".

Might look at sending this graphics card back and getting another one, really ****ing annoying

• Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭iLikeWaffles

Still on the look out for a 32 inch 4k TV, will be upgrading the main monitor next year! Why can't there be one that ticks all boxes. Will probably have to go bigger but that would mean re-adjusting the whole room as I'd have to sit back another 2 feet or so because of the closeness but more importantly the speaker setup.

Really enjoying how my PC is crashing. So the "cold boot" seems to have just randomly fixed itself, but now in Total Warhammer II I'm at this battle, where the game loads then PC crashes.

Just comes up saying "No display found".

Might look at sending this graphics card back and getting another one, really ****ing annoying

May I ask what gpu are You using?

Still on the look out for a 32 inch 4k TV, will be upgrading the main monitor next year! Why can't there be one that ticks all boxes. Will probably have to go bigger but that would mean re-adjusting the whole room as I'd have to sit back another 2 feet or so because of the closeness but more importantly the speaker setup.

I use a 49" 4K HDR Tv for gaming and a 1080p monitor. Works quite well. I even play some games at 1080p depending on how new or old the game is. GTA San Andreas at 1080p for example, I dip in and out of that game every so often and another PC game I dip in and out of is GTA V but that is at 4k.

yoshiktk wrote: »
    May I ask what gpu are You using?

XFX RX 5700 DD.

Just did the DDU (is that what’s it’s called) in safe mode to see if that helps.

Just weird. On the whole when things are working I’m delighted. Just a pain in the hole having problems here and there.

There was a massive siege I was laying in Total Warhammer II and anytime I entered the battle the display just went black. Had to restart.

After about the 6th time just retreated and seemed to run fine after. Then in the middle of another battle went bang again.

Like I said if it keeps up will send it back but maybe it just needs a bit of fiddling.

• Advertisement

XFX RX 5700 DD.

Just did the DDU (is that what’s it’s called) in safe mode to see if that helps.

Just weird. On the whole when things are working I’m delighted. Just a pain in the hole having problems here and there.

There was a massive siege I was laying in Total Warhammer II and anytime I entered the battle the display just went black. Had to restart.

After about the 6th time just retreated and seemed to run fine after. Then in the middle of another battle went bang again.

Like I said if it keeps up will send it back but maybe it just needs a bit of fiddling.

Sorry to hear that. I though that they did already fix the driver issues?
    I'm still torn between rx5700 or xt or maybe 2070s.

Advertisement