Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off-Topic Thread V3.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

yoshiktk wrote: »
    Sorry to hear that. I though that they did already fix the driver issues?
    I'm still torn between rx5700 or xt or maybe 2070s.

I don’t know. Latest update for drivers was the 18th.

I didn’t get a chance to test things after doing the DDU thing so will see how it goes tonight. Fingers crossed

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

TheDoc wrote: »
    Really enjoying how my PC is crashing. So the "cold boot" seems to have just randomly fixed itself, but now in Total Warhammer II I'm at this battle, where the game loads then PC crashes.

Just comes up saying "No display found".

Might look at sending this graphics card back and getting another one, really ****ing annoying

Not having those issues myself but that does happen sometimes when I turn the monitor off and back on again while the PC is still running. Then it sometimes won't detect the signal and I have to turn the monitor off and on again a few times. Not sure if it's the card or the monitor though.

The card sometimes makes weird fan noises. It's fine most of the time but it seems at certain rpm's it vibrates or something. Have thought about sending it back myself to get this one. Of course this wasn't available 3 weeks ago when I ordered the other 1.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Gigabyte-Radeon-RX-5700-Gaming/dp/B07WSGZH6S/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=gigabyte+5700&qid=1577298922&sr=8-1

That was the card I was originally going to get. Although CCL didn’t seem to have it.

Fact it’s around the same price as the XFX feeling like I made a poor choice.

Doubt I can get a refund from ccl so hopefully can just get the problems ironed out

Edit: actually just mailed them there to see what my options are on a refund. Or if they can source me a Gigabyte OC model.

Could be just a faulty card that if replaced would be better but for 400 quid I’m just not into this messing around with ****

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭yoshiktk

That was the card I was originally going to get. Although CCL didn’t seem to have it.

Fact it’s around the same price as the XFX feeling like I made a poor choice.

Doubt I can get a refund from ccl so hopefully can just get the problems ironed out

Edit: actually just mailed them there to see what my options are on a refund. Or if they can source me a Gigabyte OC model.

Could be just a faulty card that if replaced would be better but for 400 quid I’m just not into this messing around with ****

I presume that You have checked alle the usual things? Psu,logs, card in other pc, etc?
    Ccl I think have like 30 days for replacement/exchange and after this time its warranty repair.

I presume that You have checked alle the usual things? Psu,logs, card in other pc, etc?
    Ccl I think have like 30 days for replacement/exchange and after this time its warranty repair.

Cool bought it on 13th so have time left. Will wait for them to get back to me anyway.

Don’t have a way to check it in another PC. Pretty happy all cabling and the likes are in correctly etc.

When you say logs. There logs I can check to see what happens when it crashes ?

• Advertisement

When you say logs. There logs I can check to see what happens when it crashes ?

Press windows key+r, enter eventvwr. There You can check logs, if it's the driver crashing it should be shown there. But it could be a driver issue or some 3rd party compatibility problem as well. Hard to say. My friend had a similar issue, two PC's with the same parts, one card wouldn't work properly at all, but with some magic when was installed in the second machine all problems went away.
    I really start to believe that hardware have "souls" and "feelings" but that's a long story.

Press windows key+r, enter eventvwr. There You can check logs, if it's the driver crashing it should be shown there. But it could be a driver issue or some 3rd party compatibility problem as well. Hard to say. My friend had a similar issue, two PC's with the same parts, one card wouldn't work properly at all, but with some magic when was installed in the second machine all problems went away.
    I really start to believe that hardware have "souls" and "feelings" but that's a long story.

Haha. Thanks will check this out.

Also found a good thread on reddit that has about 9 things to do for RX 5700 problems. Some I discovered myself and had sorted some others though I hadn’t tried.

However does go to show the problems that AMD can have. One fix is disabling free sync. Another is disabling all Radeon software haha.

Haha. Thanks will check this out.

Also found a good thread on reddit that has about 9 things to do for RX 5700 problems. Some I discovered myself and had sorted some others though I hadn’t tried.

However does go to show the problems that AMD can have. One fix is disabling free sync. Another is disabling all Radeon software haha.

To be honest, I stopped checking reddit, whenever I was looking for advice whether it's worth buying something or not, most of the time I would find threads about problems.
    Nvidia is an option but with a recent purchase of VR set my wife won't be happy if I spend another 600€+ on gpu, the 5700 it's a quite good middle-ground option.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,539 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Sorry to hear that. I though that they did already fix the driver issues?
    I'm still torn between rx5700 or xt or maybe 2070s.

I have to say I'm impressed with my powercolor red devil 5700xt, so much so that I just bought another one for my young lads new pc. Amd's "raise the game" offer is available until the 31st December on a few sites like scan etc so the free xbox pass and game is a nice bonus

• Advertisement

Kimbot wrote: »
    I have to say I'm impressed with my powercolor red devil 5700xt, so much so that I just bought another one for my young lads new pc. Amd's "raise the game" offer is available until the 31st December on a few sites like scan etc so the free xbox pass and game is a nice bonus

I already ordered one, the HardwareUnboxed 5700vs2070 made me go towards Red Devil in the end. As I went with budget option for monitor last year, 1440p@75Hz, the 2070s would be an overkill until I would get a new one. Plus the few percent improwement for additional 150€ more is not worth it.
    Did You had to play with it?Voltage, fan curve or was it good from the start?
    Have now rx580, really great card but took me some time to get it to the state that it doesnt sound like starting jumbojet with temps going up to 85°C.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

I already ordered one, the HardwareUnboxed 5700vs2070 made me go towards Red Devil in the end. As I went with budget option for monitor last year, 1440p@75Hz, the 2070s would be an overkill until I would get a new one. Plus the few percent improwement for additional 150€ more is not worth it.
    Have now rx580, really great card but took me some time to get it to the state that it doesnt sound like starting jumbojet with temps going up to 85°C.

I doubt it as I have a reference 5700 XT and find it doesn't get loud while gaming.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,539 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

All default and running great with no issues

Kimbot wrote: »
    All default and running great with no issues

Great, now I only have to wait. Hate December, worst time to order something.

Great, now I only have to wait. Hate December, worst time to order something.

I ordered another one off scan on Friday and should've here on Tuesday which isn't bad :)

WE DID IT TEAM

Finally figured out what was causing the display to not work on first boot. Having scoured the internet found a random little video on youtube of a guy with some weird accent explaining the problem I was having along with all the troubleshooting I had done.

Then he pops into Control panel -> Hardware -> what do power buttons do, and unticks an option called fast boot

Turned this off, and now PC firing up on first boot. Delighted, this was the last little niggle and problem I have had.

Still not enamored with all the messing and fiddling I've had to do with this AMD platform change, but atleast now if I can get a good run with no hiccups I can really start to appreciate the upgrade :)

WE DID IT TEAM

Finally figured out what was causing the display to not work on first boot. Having scoured the internet found a random little video on youtube of a guy with some weird accent explaining the problem I was having along with all the troubleshooting I had done.

Then he pops into Control panel -> Hardware -> what do power buttons do, and unticks an option called fast boot

Turned this off, and now PC firing up on first boot. Delighted, this was the last little niggle and problem I have had.

Still not enamored with all the messing and fiddling I've had to do with this AMD platform change, but atleast now if I can get a good run with no hiccups I can really start to appreciate the upgrade :)

Mad. At least you have it sorted. I still don't believe it is AMD's fault which you must be sick of hearing.

Mad. At least you have it sorted. I still don't believe it is AMD's fault which you must be sick of hearing.

Ah yeah look it seems to be clearer and clearer the more I came across various threads and things bout people having problems like me it's an issue with the 3rd party manufacturers in certain areas, but AMD don't look innocent either when it seems their own software is a cause for a lot of 5700 and 5700XT issues experienced

But look as you say got there in the end, but became very clear to me there is a pretty wide range of issues, that requires a lot of mad **** to be fiddled with to get things working right, or you can be lucky and everything fires up fine. And like I said before, that's always been a reputation for AMd with a lot of people. You are getting performance for cheaper, but generally with some more headaches and fiddling around

Also this setting seemingly is enabled with the AMD Ryzen Balanced powerplan, which comes as part of their chipset update?

And Now for Something Completely Different, did anyone tried using an old notebook screen as second monitor? I know that I would need a proper controller plus case. Did anyone try that? Need a second monitor at as low cost as possible.

And Now for Something Completely Different, did anyone tried using an old notebook screen as second monitor? I know that I would need a proper controller plus case. Did anyone try that? Need a second monitor at as low cost as possible.

Sorry I can't help you but I done it the other way round many years ago. I broke my laptop screen so used my Tv as a screen until I got a replacement.

• Advertisement

Sorry I can't help you but I done it the other way round many years ago. I broke my laptop screen so used my Tv as a screen until I got a replacement.

I got so used to using two monitors that now with only one it's weird. When I was looking thru adverts, it reminded me that I have two panels from old notebooks, nothing great but i thought that still could work great as second one.
    Today I got my box with Rx5700, time to have fun. At last I've the opportunity to clean the box.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭iLikeWaffles

If you have the skills/tools/time to do it go for it. Otherwise it is probably cheaper to buy a new monitor. There is plenty of monitors sub €150

If you have the skills/tools/time to do it go for it. Otherwise it is probably cheaper to buy a new monitor. There is plenty of monitors sub €150

I have to get it as low cost as possible, I still have to tell my wifu that I got Oculus
    The only thing which I kinda need is 3d printed frame/cover. Controllers can be bought for around 25€, so in total it could be around 50€. I don't know how much the frame could cost me. As an extra project, I will do it sooner or later do it.

Dilemma:
    Do I sell the Noctua NH-U14S & make some money back
    OR
    do I send the Wraith Max to my little cousin, buy a 140mm RGB fan and cool my CPU to 50C?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,553 ✭✭✭savemejebus

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    Dilemma:
    OR
    do I send the Wraith Max to my little cousin, buy a 140mm RGB fan and cool my CPU to 50C?

what happened the liquid freezer that you thought was defective but wasn't in the end?

what happened the liquid freezer that you thought was defective but wasn't in the end?

Already on its way back to Amazon by the time I realised the fan buzz was coming from the GPU.
    Ended up using that refund to fund the 3600X :pac:

Lesson learnt: test thoroughly.

Dilemma:
    OR

Go with another fan? Just for fun did hit my r5 with prime95. Went up to 50°c, but what surprised me tge most cooled down to 32°c in couple of seconds. I was amazed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

Dilemma:
    OR

What's wrong with the existing fan on the noctua?

Lu Tze wrote: »
    What's wrong with the existing fan on the noctua?

I didn't fully understand why he was mentioning the 140mm fan. Oh, right so the Noctua fan is broke.

• Advertisement

I didn't fully understand why he was mentioning the 140mm fan. Oh, right so the Noctua fan is broke.

No no, I just want RGB :pac:

Advertisement