Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off-Topic Thread V3.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭yoshiktk

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    No no, I just want RGB :pac:

Install some led from aliexpres? :D Gonna be cheaper. On my rig only bit with a light on is rx5700 now, but because of stupid cable placement, I'm gonna turn it off, couldn't get the cable to run under the card, goes on top, looks horrible. As for rx5700, performance is great, driver stability poor. Will have to check it with older version of adrenalin, this one crash at high gpu load.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

yoshiktk wrote: »
    Install some led from aliexpres? :D Gonna be cheaper. On my rig only bit with a light on is rx5700 now, but because of stupid cable placement, I'm gonna turn it off, couldn't get the cable to run under the card, goes on top, looks horrible. As for rx5700, performance is great, driver stability poor. Will have to check it with older version of adrenalin, this one crash at high gpu load.

Is it overclocked? If so run at stock and see.

Is it overclocked? If so run at stock and see.

Nope, fresh out of the box. Windows logs show crash with radeonsoftware.exe, id 1000. Google shows a variety of reasons. Will ddu tomorrow and see what will happen.
    Edit:
    Weird day, now it works all fine.
    EditII:
    My Oculus was sent by Fastway... F me. Third day in delivery. Great.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

yoshiktk wrote: »
    Nope, fresh out of the box. Windows logs show crash with radeonsoftware.exe, id 1000. Google shows a variety of reasons. Will ddu tomorrow and see what will happen.

Went through a wide range of things with mine and my fathers GPU's.

DDU is a good start alright.

There is also plenty of evidence that Radeon's software crashes it's own 5700's/XT's. Something about a bogey API. So any software that returns performance related metrics can cause crashes.

I have the radeon software completely turned off

There is also some settings in the Radeon software that cause plenty of crashing, if you do use it, put the profile to standard

TheDoc wrote: »
    Went through a wide range of things with mine and my fathers GPU's.

DDU is a good start alright.

There is also plenty of evidence that Radeon's software crashes it's own 5700's/XT's. Something about a bogey API. So any software that returns performance related metrics can cause crashes.

I have the radeon software completely turned off

There is also some settings in the Radeon software that cause plenty of crashing, if you do use it, put the profile to standard

I have thread from reddit somewhere, have to check it later. Like I said now even thou I haven't changed anything and pc was still running thru the night, now it works ok. Weird. Won't complain, the gaming experience is great. Now BF5 on 1440@ultra gets me 100fps+.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

No no, I just want RGB :pac:

81a1a-xsA5L._SL1500_.jpg

Urge to spend... rising...

81a1a-xsA5L._SL1500_.jpg

Urge to spend... rising...

source.gif

This looks so nice, too...
    BG13REA_219871_750x750.jpg

Sadly I can't find the correct version for my card anywhere - need the 2080 FE version (EVGA 400-HY-1184-B1), but all I can find is a B-Grade for £130, or the FTW3 version for £99

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,539 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

OSI wrote: »
    The Red Devil arrived today. Holy **** it’s a big card! It’s replacing 2 overclocked partner board 970s that I always thought were large enough but this easily weighs more than the 2 combined.

It's a beast haha

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,539 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Put some more light on the situation :P

https://m.imgur.com/a/SFgmxJB

• Advertisement

I thought the case was on fire.

I thought the case was on fire.

Thankfully not, I haven't decided on a color scheme just yet, set it all to red haha

• Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Krombopulos Michael

Stupid question, but is there anywhere online I can use a One4All voucher to buy PC parts. Currys/PC World accept them but they have little stock or over priced. Littlewoods also accept them, but I saw a Ryzen 2600x CPU that was 100euro more expensive than Currys :O

If this is in the wrong place, let me know

• Registered Users Posts: 8,798 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

Stupid question, but is there anywhere online I can use a One4All voucher to buy PC parts. Currys/PC World accept them but they have little stock or over priced. Littlewoods also accept them, but I saw a Ryzen 2600x CPU that was 100euro more expensive than Currys :O

If this is in the wrong place, let me know

You can get them to refund you the balance of the card to your bank account minus I think maybe €8 fee.

https://www.gvsprepaid.com/one4allie-tcs.html

See 10.1

MiskyBoyy wrote: »
    You can get them to refund you the balance of the card to your bank account minus I think maybe €8 fee.

https://www.gvsprepaid.com/one4allie-tcs.html

See 10.1

Cheers for that :)

Note that they won't do that if it was purchased by your employer under the tax incentive thing.

Gift from the Inlaws so not from employers. Id be happy just to use it online but limited options which sucks for using One4all gift cards.

Total shame they removed the option to buy an Amazon gift card with it.

Yeah I know. I did that a few years ago and it was a great option. It looks like more of the big retailers have dropped them and more smaller niche shops on board.

Not great for PC Building if your only source of parts using a One4All is Pc World.

Other option is to just use regular money to buy the parts and use the one4all to fund other stuff throughout the year.

I was reading about Moore's Law on another website and someone said I prefer Murphy's Law.
    Anything that can go wrong will go wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,965 ✭✭✭mp3guy

Anyone able to identify a laptop with a 2080 non-mobile GPU? Also with the largest number of cores.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

mp3guy wrote: »
    Anyone able to identify a laptop with a 2080 non-mobile GPU? Also with the largest number of cores.

MSI Titan GT76 maybe; https://www.msi.com/Laptop/GT76-Titan-9SX/Specification

mp3guy wrote: »

https://skinflint.co.uk/?cat=nb&xf=11295_21901+-+RTX+2080+(Mobile)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

Anyone have 1440p high Hz monitor recommendations? Thinking of selling this BenQ XL2720T and upgrading.

Anyone have 1440p high Hz monitor recommendations? Thinking of selling this BenQ XL2720T and upgrading.

This caught my eye when I watched the review.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VgeVFfGyecI

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

Does look nice but out of my budget unfortunately. https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07WF726S9 seems more affordable.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭SickBoy

The ViewSonic VX2758-2KP-MHD got a very good review on Hardware Unboxed recently..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭farna_boy

So I currently have an i5 6500 and the upgrade bug is itching.

Is there a significant, noticeable difference if I upgraded to a Ryzen 3600 when I will be using it only for gaming?

Currently it's paired with 32GB RAM and a Vega 64, so the CPU is the obvious bottleneck. Also only gaming at 1920 x 1080 but looking to also upgrade to 1440 x 2560 soon.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

farna_boy wrote: »
    So I currently have an i5 6500 and the upgrade bug is itching.

Is there a significant, noticeable difference if I upgraded to a Ryzen 3600 when I will be using it only for gaming?

Currently it's paired with 32GB RAM and a Vega 64, so the CPU is the obvious bottleneck. Also only gaming at 1920 x 1080 but looking to also upgrade to 1440 x 2560 soon.

Yes, there would be a significant difference, in modern games at least. 4 core processors are starting to show its age.

Here's GN doing 6600k modern review

Here is 6500 direct comparison

Whats the RAM speed on the 32GB RAM? Is it DDR4/DDR3? Skylake at one point had boards for one or the other, if you have DDR4 and its decent speed RAM it could be a simple cheap upgrade. The 6500 seems about 30% or more slower than 3600.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭farna_boy

Yes, there would be a significant difference, in modern games at least. 4 core processors are starting to show its age.

Here's GN doing 6600k modern review

Here is 6500 direct comparison

Whats the RAM speed on the 32GB RAM? Is it DDR4/DDR3? Skylake at one point had boards for one or the other, if you have DDR4 and its decent speed RAM it could be a simple cheap upgrade. The 6500 seems about 30% or more slower than 3600.

That's the answer I was hoping for :).

RAM is DDR4-3200 so I can reuse it for the Ryzen.

Advertisement