Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off-Topic Thread V3.0

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

farna_boy wrote: »
    That's the answer I was hoping for :).

RAM is DDR4-3200 so I can reuse it for the Ryzen.

Nice, cheap enough upgrade for noticable improvements so!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

SickBoy wrote: »
    The ViewSonic VX2758-2KP-MHD got a very good review on Hardware Unboxed recently..
    Think I might be going for this one. It's it in my price range when I offset it with the money from selling the XL2720T. It's just a bit big so I'm worried if my monitor arm can handle the weight. If it can that's great because I won't need to use the poor stand it comes with (the stand for XL27OT is amazing but I don't use it :pac:). There's a lot of yap about adaptive sync n' such but I don't care about any of that because I turn off all syncing technologies.

Happy to hear it has a a strobing feature, too! If it's done on the monitor and not software side, that is. My current BenQ also has this but it's the older version so it only works on windows with a 3rd party tool and since I'm 100% linux gaming now I lost the feature. Would be great to have it back if the panel can do it itself.

Edit: Actually it seems it's the same size as my current. Was looking at a 32" similar model.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

. There's a lot of yap about adaptive sync n' such but I don't care about any of that because I turn off all syncing technologies.

What? You turn off Vsync but not Adaptive sync. Tear free gaming with little or no hit to performance compared to Vsync which does significantly hit performance.

What? You turn off Vsync but not Adaptive sync. Tear free gaming with little or no hit to performance compared to Vsync which does significantly hit performance.
    I don't see much tearing on my current monitor so I assumed it must be a benefit of high Hz. I've only seen a handful of games that had bad tearing. I've been using it for years like this so now it doesn't bother me even if there is a little tearing. It's not worth turning on any sync tech now because of the overhead and I like to blast the FPS as high as it can go even past the Hz of the monitor if possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,553 ✭✭✭savemejebus

What's the current favourite b450 board? I'd hear alot about the MSI tomahawk max and gaming AC carbon but at the same time it seems all the bios woes are MSI too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Part 2 in "Arctic customer support is amazing":

I need a 14-pin to 4-pin adapter cable in order to use any GPU cooler on RTX 2070 Super FE.
    Arctic are the only ones who sell it (NV-14 cable), it's €1.99 but shipping is €7.50.
    After an inquiry if I can get it sent for less, I get a reply that it's on its way, free of charge.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

What's the current favourite b450 board? I'd hear alot about the MSI tomahawk max and gaming AC carbon but at the same time it seems all the bios woes are MSI too.

I have a B450M Mortar Max, VRMs are good, latest bios is stable. No real issues personally.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,539 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Have a tomohawk max, no issues so far :)

They're still out of stock on that exact display I wanted. Have an alert set up to tell me if it ever comes in again at least on amazon. Might be using the BenQ for a while yet.

MSI B450 Carbon Pro AC here, no stability issues either.

Wish it had better overclocking tools though - think I'll hook up the reset switch to CMOS-clear (previous mobo had a dedicated on-board button).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭farna_boy

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    MSI B450 Carbon Pro AC here, no stability issues either.

Wish it had better overclocking tools though - think I'll hook up the reset switch to CMOS-clear (previous mobo had a dedicated on-board button).

Out of interest, why did you choose the Carbon Pro AC over the other B450 boards?

I am trying to decide which B450 motherboard to go for at the moment and aside from the VRM considerations, I can't see a whole lot between most of them.

Is there anything in particular that made you choose that one over the cheaper options?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭Homelander

I have the regular B450 Mortar, had to flash the bios without cpu at first but since then has worked flawless really.

farna_boy wrote: »
    Out of interest, why did you choose the Carbon Pro AC over the other B450 boards?

I am trying to decide which B450 motherboard to go for at the moment and aside from the VRM considerations, I can't see a whole lot between most of them.

Is there anything in particular that made you choose that one over the cheaper options?
    • Best VRM design by far - future-proofing for when I step up to 8+ cores
    • Only slightly more expensive than cheaper B450s & much cheaper than good X570s
    • on-board Bluetooth: actually necessary for my MS Surface headphones :pac:
    • USB BIOS flash - didn't need it, but just in case
    • Loads of fan & RGB headers (latter of which I have yet to populate)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,353 ✭✭✭xtal191

• Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭farna_boy

xtal191 wrote: »

Yeah, I've seen that a few times, but it just seems to contradict a lot of what other people are saying.

According to that sheet, the cheapest MSI B450 ATX board has the same vrm/overclocking performance as say the MSI B450 Pro Carbon AC, and both are equally capable of handling a 3950x stock or 3800x overclocked.

I think I probably will just go with one of the cheaper B450 boards partially because of that spreadsheet but I just don't think there is a whole lot of value in overclocking any of these chips and by the time it gets to that stage, it will probably be just better to upgrade anyway.

WANT

• Registered Users Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭Smiles35

Just a quick question on ordering from overclockers.co.uk. Something I have orderd is out of stock but is stated to be back in stock in a few days. How certain do these back in stock times be from overclockers?

Smiles35 wrote: »
    Just a quick question on ordering from overclockers.co.uk. Something I have orderd is out of stock but is stated to be back in stock in a few days. How certain do these back in stock times be from overclockers?

They are usually pretty accurate. Some times they even get stock back in quicker.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,875 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Howdy. Is there any consensus on the best online store(s) to buy parts from these days? The last time I was building from scratch, Hardware Versand was the usual boards recommendation. I've used Amazon and OcUK for individual parts in the past few years, but they seem very expensive for the parts I'm looking at this time around.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,222 ✭✭✭Calvin

Sold my spare PC there about 2 weeks ago for €400 and I’ve just seen the fella list it on FB marketplace for €520 with a new set of RAM and everything else the same :pac:

Even selling the old RAM separately for €30 :pac:

• Advertisement

Sold my spare PC there about 2 weeks ago for €400 and I’ve just seen the fella list it on FB marketplace for €520 with a new set of RAM and everything else the same :pac:

Even selling the old RAM separately for €30 :pac:

What were the specs of it when you sold it? Just out of curiosity

Howdy. Is there any consensus on the best online store(s) to buy parts from these days? The last time I was building from scratch, Hardware Versand was the usual boards recommendation. I've used Amazon and OcUK for individual parts in the past few years, but they seem very expensive for the parts I'm looking at this time around.

Uk is really the only place to shop for us. Yes, European stores in Germany are cheaper but they don't ship and if they do it's expensive.

What were the specs of it when you sold it? Just out of curiosity

Think it was:
    Intel G4560
    ASUS Prime B250M
    HyperX Fury 8GB DDR4
    MSI 970 OC
    500GB HDD
    450W PSU
    24” Samsung monitor
    Thermaltake Versa H15

Threw in a Windows 10 Pro key too cos he said it was a gift for some relative or something :pac:

Think it was:
    Intel G4560
    ASUS Prime B250M
    HyperX Fury 8GB DDR4
    MSI 970 OC
    500GB HDD
    450W PSU
    24” Samsung monitor
    Thermaltake Versa H15

Threw in a Windows 10 Pro key too cos he said it was a gift for some relative or something :pac:

Eh, you have your €400.
    He might never gets a single offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭Homelander

you did well to get 400 to be honest!

Uk is really the only place to shop for us. Yes, European stores in Germany are cheaper but they don't ship and if they do it's expensive.
    That's disappointing. I've been told to check out Case King (owners of OcUK), but won't get my hopes up!

Eh, you have your €400.
    He might never gets a single offer.

Oh yeah, exactly. Just disappointed with the sob story he threw me and me falling for it :pac: almost threw in the SSD too, luckily I didn’t.

That's disappointing. I've been told to check out Case King (owners of OcUK), but won't get my hopes up!

CaseKing are good too, but their shipping prices make me cry.

CaseKing are good too, but their shipping prices make me cry.

Hmmm, according to this they have a flat rate of €14.53 when you use DHL. That would be fine if you were ordering a few bits and pieces.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭Redfox25

As an alternative, always EU Amazon sites , most offer free shipping to Ireland and you get Euro prices too which is nice.

Advertisement