Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off-Topic Thread V3.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭Homelander

Aren't caseking basically OCUK? Same company.

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭yoshiktk

Hmmm, according to this they have a flat rate of €14.53 when you use DHL. That would be fine if you were ordering a few bits and pieces.

I'm almost certain that when in December I was checking the caseking it showed me 40€ for shipping.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,875 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Homelander wrote: »
    Aren't caseking basically OCUK? Same company.

Yup. CaseKing are the parent company I think.
    yoshiktk wrote: »
    I'm almost certain that when in December I was checking the caseking it showed me 40€ for shipping.

Okay, I just did a test there. I added five or so random parts into the cart, including Ryzen 3900X, 2080 RTX, OTT Seasonic PSU etc. They let you estimate shipping, so I chose Ireland as destination country (obvs), and picked DHL International as carrier - they gave me an estimated shipping cost of €16 for the lot (other carriers were indeed more expensive).

• Registered Users Posts: 12,418 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

• Registered Users Posts: 28,041 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Could anyone recommend a wireless keyboard board for an office? Getting sick of my wired one here and fancy a change.

Can't have it to clicky though and needs to have a full number pad. Probably spend about £60-70 on it but if something decent is available for cheaper then great.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭iLikeWaffles

TitianGerm wrote: »
    Could anyone recommend a wireless keyboard board for an office? Getting sick of my wired one here and fancy a change.

Can't have it to clicky though and needs to have a full number pad. Probably spend about £60-70 on it but if something decent is available for cheaper then great.

https://www.harveynorman.ie/computing/computer-accessories/keyboards-mice/logitech-k270-wireless-keyboard.html

Excellent KB only had to change the batteries once in 4 years (last year). Depends how much typing is being done though, battery life for me is miles above average but I don't use it in an office and don't write essays either!

https://www.harveynorman.ie/computing/computer-accessories/keyboards-mice/logitech-k270-wireless-keyboard.html

Excellent KB only had to change the batteries once in 4 years (last year). Depends how much typing is being done though, battery life for me is miles above average but I don't use it in an office and don't write essays either!

I'm an accountant so there's a fair bit of typing alright and hence that's why I need the number pad.

That one is only £19 on Amazon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Krombopulos Michael

I have this in my office and I love the keyboard. Battery hasnt been changed in 2 years at least. The mouse that came with it I found a little small for my hands, so I have a separate ergonomic mouse, but cant fault the keyboard.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,418 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

I have gotten my hands on a broken Dell 5060 with an i7 8700, 32gb ram and a 1tb m.2 drive
    So was thinking of trying to put a new PC together with the parts
    What cheap mobo would you suggest?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭iLikeWaffles

TitianGerm wrote: »
    I'm an accountant so there's a fair bit of typing alright and hence that's why I need the number pad.

That one is only £19 on Amazon.

Thought it might be alright the quick google search said otherwise. Think I payed about that for it also, it's a steal at that price! The hot key buttons can be customised also (home to calculator) and the other task has a lot of customisation which I haven't messed with...

500018.PNG

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Skerries wrote: »
    I have gotten my hands on a broken Dell 5060 with an i7 8700, 32gb ram and a 1tb m.2 drive
    So was thinking of trying to put a new PC together with the parts
    What cheap mobo would you suggest?
    Tier list:
    Tier C Value gaming (i3, i5, i7)

ASUS: hxxx-Strix, bxxx-Strix
    ASRock: zxxx-Pro4, Phantom Gaming 4, ATX/ac, Killer/SLI, hxxx-fatal1ty, bxxx-fatal1ty, Bxxx-Pro4
    Gigabyte: Gaming 3, UD4, z390-UD
    MSI: Tomahawk, Mortar, Gaming Pro, bazooka, hxxx-pro carbon, Gaming Pro, Raider, zxxx-SLI plus

I'd say Gigabyte Z390 UD is a good shot.
    Main thing is you shouldn't cheap out too much since cheap mobos can cause Intel CPUs to throttle/hit reduced boost clocks.
    Also avoid H310 chipset.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Rather than make a thread thought here might be a good shout.

Does anyone know if its possible to be case parts aftermarket? I've an old style Fractal Design R4, the model at the time had a small window panel on the side into the case. I see the new models have a full window panel and while I don't want to swop my entire case out, I would like to just change out the side panel.

TheDoc wrote: »
    Rather than make a thread thought here might be a good shout.

Does anyone know if its possible to be case parts aftermarket? I've an old style Fractal Design R4, the model at the time had a small window panel on the side into the case. I see the new models have a full window panel and while I don't want to swop my entire case out, I would like to just change out the side panel.

https://geizhals.eu/fractal-design-side-panel-with-glass-window-for-define-s-fd-acc-wnd-def-s-bk-tgl-a1898916.html?hloc=de&hloc=uk

Pretty cheap too.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

• Registered Users Posts: 2,992 ✭✭✭KilOit

Just realized 5700xt doesn't have dvi-d connection and my Qnix 27inch monitor at 1440p doesn't have Displayport obviously. how can i connect these 2 and still game at 100hz?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

Redfox25 wrote: »
    As an alternative, always EU Amazon sites , most offer free shipping to Ireland and you get Euro prices too which is nice.
    Which exact EU amazons do you check? Is there much price difference between them? Looking at the German one for the monitor I want.
    KilOit wrote: »
    Just realized 5700xt doesn't have dvi-d connection and my Qnix 27inch monitor at 1440p doesn't have Displayport obviously. how can i connect these 2 and still game at 100hz?
    What DO they have? If they both have viable connector like HDMI there should be cables that can carry that. Outside of that you can try converters. Most phone repair places have them. I use a HDMI to VGA converter and get 75hz on my old secondary display (75 is its native maximum).

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Someone else had this problem recently or maybe it was you. There is no way unless you use some sort of adaptor but from a quick read when the last person had this problem I found people online had mixed experiences even with expensive adapters so tbh it is not worth it. Best thing is to sell monitor and buy a more modern one. I know you probably don't want to hear that but those korean monitors are doing the rounds a fair few years and were even using old tech like DVI-D when they first came onto the market.

Someone else had this problem recently or maybe it was you. There is no way unless you use some sort of adaptor but from a quick read when the last person had this problem I found people online had mixed experiences even with expensive adapters so tbh it is not worth it. Best thing is to sell monitor and buy a more modern one. I know you probably don't want to hear that but those korean monitors are doing the rounds a fair few years and were even using old tech like DVI-D when they first came onto the market.

Looked at those adapters and not really keen on them, pity i like this monitor, got it OC to 95hz. I'm out of the game on current monitor hardware, i'll have to look into it

What DO they have? If they both have viable connector like HDMI there should be cables that can carry that. Outside of that you can try converters. Most phone repair places have them. I use a HDMI to VGA converter and get 75hz on my old secondary display (75 is its native maximum).

This is at 1440p 95hz, can't see DVI-D to HDMI do that

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

Same thing happened to me recently. The bad news is you can't. It's not worth it as a dual link active dvi-d converter cable costs upwards of €100 and is still not guaranteed to work.

I bought this to replace it. It's IPS so it's gonna look a bit different from the Qnix VA. Better in many ways, worse in a couple of others down to the panel technology but overall it's a great monitor for the money. I'll eventually get a higher end model and use this as my secondary.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07TXHBWMK/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

• Advertisement

BloodBath wrote: »
    Same thing happened to me recently. The bad news is you can't. It's not worth it as a dual link active dvi-d converter cable costs upwards of €100 and is still not guaranteed to work.

I bought this to replace it. It's IPS so it's gonna look a bit different from the Qnix VA. Better in many ways, worse in a couple of others down to the panel technology but overall it's a great monitor for the money. I'll eventually get a higher end model and use this as my secondary.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07TXHBWMK/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Cheers for that, it's an expense i wasn't planning on since i was happy with the monitor, i'll stop searching for fixes and just look for a new monitor

Any of the aftermarket 5700 have a dvi-d? Even nvidia? I would consider returning this card if so. Strangely attached to this monitor :)

Any of the aftermarket 5700 have a dvi-d? Even nvidia? I would consider returning this card if so. Strangely attached to this monitor :)

AMD gave up DVI after the Vega series.

There are some models of RTX 2060 Super/2070 non-Super that have them still: https://skinflint.co.uk/?cat=gra16_512&xf=5426_1%7E9810_9+6397+-+RTX+2060+SUPER%7E9810_9+6497+-+RTX+2070

But TBH you're better off with a new monitor.

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    AMD gave up DVI after the Vega series.

There are some models of RTX 2060 Super/2070 non-Super that have them still: https://skinflint.co.uk/?cat=gra16_512&xf=5426_1%7E9810_9+6397+-+RTX+2060+SUPER%7E9810_9+6497+-+RTX+2070

But TBH you're better off with a new monitor.
    Great website, cheers. I'll think about it, I know I'll have to eventually upgrade the monitor

Better to replace it now tbh and sell the qnix while it's still worth something.

Here's a review for the monitor I linked under a different brand name but the panel and stand are identical. It's the best budget 1440p monitor on the market imo.

Just 95hz max but the Qnix doesn't do much better. This has freesync too unlike the Qnix. You have to spend a lot more to get a similar quality panel at 144hz. Legs were not bent on mine and 0 dead or stuck pixels. Had to use parcel motel to get it delivered from Amazon though. €220 delivered to my door in 3 days though.

Fantastic monitor for the price and much better than the Qnix. The only thing the qnix does better is contrast and black levels because it's a VA panel and maybe about 10hz higher. I've heard people have overclocked this panel too though as high as 110hz. I need to get a display port cable to try that though. Currently using hdmi which is not good for overclocking it.

Better to replace it now tbh and sell the qnix while it's still worth something.

Here's a review for the monitor I linked under a different brand name but the panel and stand are identical. It's the best budget 1440p monitor on the market imo.

Just 95hz max but the Qnix doesn't do much better. This has freesync too unlike the Qnix. You have to spend a lot more to get a similar quality panel at 144hz. Legs were not bent on mine and 0 dead or stuck pixels. Had to use parcel motel to get it delivered from Amazon though. €220 delivered to my door in 3 days though.

Fantastic monitor for the price and much better than the Qnix. The only thing the qnix does better is contrast and black levels because it's a VA panel and maybe about 10hz higher. I've heard people have overclocked this panel too though as high as 110hz. I need to get a display port cable to try that though. Currently using hdmi which is not good for overclocking it.

How did you shipped to Ireland? Parcel Motel?

Edit: nevermind I missed it when I read it first.

It's improved my performance in fps games a lot anyway thanks to much better response times and freesync compared to the qnix.

I'll wait for pc monitor manufacturers to stop ripping people off for higher end panels before going for something better.

It's been as low as £150 in sales too which is just crazy cheap for how good it is.

An ideal monitor to pair with a 5700/xt 2060/2070 level gpu as you will only get around 100 fps in most modern games max with high/ultra settings at 1440p.

It's improved my performance in fps games a lot anyway thanks to much better response times and freesync compared to the qnix.

I'll wait for pc monitor manufacturers to stop ripping people off for higher end panels before going for something better.

It's been as low as £150 in sales too which is just crazy cheap for how good it is.

An ideal monitor to pair with a 5700/xt 2060/2070 level gpu as you will only get around 100 fps in most modern games max with high/ultra settings at 1440p.
    I'm sold, just pulled the trigger. Wish I just went this route first instead of buying on adverts, was sold a defective monitor that flickers, huge bleeds and scanlines, complete thrash! Was sold as perfect working order :rolleyes:

Nice. I hope yours is as good as mine was after recommending it.

It does need some calibration as the review says but most monitors do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

@BloodBath
    Any experience with 120Hz? Would you say this is an acceptable downgrade? I've been using 120Hz for years now so I'm quite used to it. I'd hoped to upgrade to 1440p 144Hz but the model I want isn't available anywhere. I might settle for lower Hz if it doesn't feel or look too much worse. I want a little more balance now for colors and n' such. (this TN is bad for that)

Advertisement