Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off-Topic Thread V3.0

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,539 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

TitianGerm wrote: »
    Or even a new case ;)

White Corsair Carbide Series 275R for £60 (or £70 for tempered glass)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B079JSDDTC/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_kO3iEbXWBA7TH

Ah I like my case, now I have my gaming area changed around and the monitor on the way I'll get proper pics of the pc :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

Kimbot wrote: »
    Picked up the lenovo, more rgb is always a plus :P
    I've been using TN like that for years and I'm kind of tired of the bad colours/visuals. Hence why my next display will be LED, IPS or VA.

This is the latest one on my radar: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07FCM5WXF

• Registered Users Posts: 6,222 ✭✭✭Calvin

Lads, anyone have any thoughts/have used the MSI 2070S gaming x trio? Thinking of picking that up for my new build... currently £499 on OCUK, cheapest I’ve seen around.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

I've been using TN like that for years and I'm kind of tired of the bad colours/visuals. Hence why my next display will be LED, IPS or VA.

I don't know my TN monitor has perfect colour accuracy. It's a Samsung. I used to have a IPS 1440p monitor and didn't think much of it. I even downloaded a Windows colour profile someone made for the specific monitor. Completely over saturated the profile was. Like a OLED I thought. Not realistic.

Lads, anyone have any thoughts/have used the MSI 2070S gaming x trio? Thinking of picking that up for my new build... currently £499 on OCUK, cheapest I’ve seen around.

My friend got the 2080Ti version and had to RMA it twice.

• Advertisement

Ah ****.. seen some good reviews + decently priced, so was considering it. Any recommendations to look at for a 2070S?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭Homelander

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

I've got one and had no issues. Luck of the draw I suppose!

.G. wrote: »
    I've got one and had no issues. Luck of the draw I suppose!

Indeed. In both instances the fans failed and the cards started to overheat under load causing freezes, etc.

OSI wrote: »
    MSI Ventus 2070 Super is £450 on Amazon

I’ve heard it runs quite loud though, that’s my only drawback from it.
    Homelander wrote: »

Was looking at that too, but couldn’t find too many reviews on it. Would actually making finding a case a lot easier too as it’s only dual fan compared to the MSI with three.. hmm. Decisions, decisions :pac:

There’s also the option of going for a 2060S and waiting for the next gen to release but I don’t think I have that much patience.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭Homelander

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Playing world of Warcraft go for a smoke and five minutes later come back to pc in bios. Weird.

Exit and it just loops to bios. Randomly recognizing and not recognizing SSD.

Swop it into a different SATA port and now bios running repairs and a windows restore. Just sitting there “attempting repair. Brought my SSD to my Dads to test and all working fine no problems.

I’m still having frequent blue screens , random restarts and “display not found” errors.

Have to say massively disappointed with this upgrade and I’d be hard pushed recommending anyone with AMD after all this messing, errors and issues. Wasn’t a cheap upgrade for me and this instability is just beyond frustrating.

I’m spending more time troubleshooting issues and workarounds then actually enjoying my pc.

Pain in the hole. When I get a good run it’s fantastic but I’m running out of patience now

• Registered Users Posts: 2,992 ✭✭✭KilOit

TheDoc wrote: »
    Playing world of Warcraft go for a smoke and five minutes later come back to pc in bios. Weird.

Swop it into a different SATA port and now bios running repairs and a windows restore. Just sitting there “attempting repair. Brought my SSD to my Dads to test and all working fine no problems.

I’m still having frequent blue screens , random restarts and “display not found” errors.

Have to say massively disappointed with this upgrade and I’d be hard pushed recommending anyone with AMD after all this messing, errors and issues. Wasn’t a cheap upgrade for me and this instability is just beyond frustrating.

I’m spending more time troubleshooting issues and workarounds then actually enjoying my pc.

Pain in the hole. When I get a good run it’s fantastic but I’m running out of patience now

Have almost identical build to you, i'm not blown away by AMD or their gpu. The software is really bothering me and my room turns into a oven with the 5700xt, can't believe how much cooler and quieter the Asus gtx1080 was.

I know you are probably fed up hearing this from me but I have zer0 issues. Later in the year when the 4000 series launch and I am using a newer CPU than the chipset it was designed for and I have issues then we can put it down to just using a CPU on a board it wasn't designed for/motherboard vendor slacking and not fully testing due to their thinking, old board, lets just support newest chipset X670.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭EoinHef

KilOit wrote: »
    Have almost identical build to you, i'm not blown away by AMD or their gpu. The software is really bothering me and my room turns into a oven with the 5700xt, can't believe how much cooler and quieter the Asus gtx1080 was.

Can you set a temp target in afterburner?

You might limit performace a bit but id rather have a bit of silence and keep temps under control. Custom fan profile should help too if you havent set one up already.

Did you ever run memtest on the PC?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,986 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Man, not a chance your graphics card caused your system to fail to recognise your Sata drive and caused windows repairs. You have some issues there and you need to start working out what they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

I've had 0 issues with the 5700 since the latest driver update. Everything working as it should now.

There's no way the 1080 threw out less heat than the 5700 either. They have identical power consumption.

BloodBath wrote: »
    I've had 0 issues with the 5700 since the latest driver update. Everything working as it should now.

There's no way the 1080 threw out less heat than the 5700 either. They have identical power consumption.

That's good news. I agree about the heat. Placebo effect I reckon.

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭yoshiktk

It looks for me that there's certain unknown which makes Amd driver unstable. Another DDU, clean Win with newest update, newest drivers and still BF5 and few other games behave completely random. I'm in for 5700xt for 100%, as its great value/money but i'm near the point of spending another 200€ to check and see will Rtx fix the issues.

• Advertisement

1080 was much cooler and quieter than 5700xt imo.
    Can't stand the noise of this Gigabyte 5700xt, i will be sending it back this week and either getting a 5700xt Sapphire Nitro+ or 2070s maybe msi gaming x trio if i can take a leap on price.
    I did play with the fan curve on the 5700xt and undervolted it but still wasn't happy, was coming out of games to browse a little before bed with a hairdryer in my ear

What type of case are you using and also fan setup? It could well be that you are just not getting very good airflow.

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭z0oT

1080 was much cooler and quieter than 5700xt imo.
    Can't stand the noise of this Gigabyte 5700xt, i will be sending it back this week and either getting a 5700xt Sapphire Nitro+ or 2070s maybe msi gaming x trio if i can take a leap on price.
    I did play with the fan curve on the 5700xt and undervolted it but still wasn't happy, was coming out of games to browse a little before bed with a hairdryer in my ear
    I have the Sapphire Pulse 5700 XT and I find it fine from a noise point of view. It's no different to the MSI GTX 1070 or Asus GTX 780 I had before it. I do game with headphones on though.

Unless your card is reference, I'd be suprized if it's much different from any of the others for noise.

What type of case are you using and also fan setup? It could well be that you are just not getting very good airflow.

2 intake fans at front, 1 exhaust top and 1 at back. Using gammas cpu cool that maintains cpu under 65° all the time.
    My gtx 1080 never went above 65° this yoke ramps up 85° in 5 minds with junction temp going to 110°
    I think it's fecked personally. Ramped the fans to 4000rpm and gpu only maintains 75° and junction 95°

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

2 intake fans at front, 1 exhaust top and 1 at back. Using gammas cpu cool that maintains cpu under 65° all the time.
    My gtx 1080 never went above 65° this yoke ramps up 85° in 5 minds with junction temp going to 110°
    I think it's fecked personally. Ramped the fans to 4000rpm and gpu only maintains 75° and junction 95°

Definitely something wrong there then.

The cooler is meant to be better on that than the XFX? Granted it's an XT so can't compared it directly to my 5700 but it still seems high.

These cards just need good coolers it seems for high clocks.

That's good news. I agree about the heat. Placebo effect I reckon.

Or just maybe his 1080 had a much better cooler.

Not everything is an attack on AMD,i know the bias here but no need to accuse people of believing in fantasy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭jebidiah

Wondering if anyone knows much about QOS?
    Living in a house with 2 gamers, one netflixer and a serious torrenter.

Usually during the day time it's not as big a problem as it's just the torrenter at home, but at night we suffer from high ping and basically unwatchable Netflix.

I'm looking into changing QOS settings and maybe either limiting bandwidth per user or per application/type of connection.

I think the latter will be more effective as even when he isn't downloading a lot there is still a lot of congestion.

Does anyone have any experience with this?

OSI wrote: »
    No use asking the torrenter to be less of a dick?

Exactly. What would you even be downloading to be constantly downloading stuff.

Never thought of that. So he is not a leech.

I'd be a leech but not a bad leech as I very rarely might download one episode of something(not a whole series) and straight away close out of the torrent client.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Ask him to use a scheduler on the torrent program. Come to a mutual agreement, that he can DL/UL his hearts content from midnight-7am or something. I do this, Tixati autoschedules DLs after midnight and I add torrents I want in the evening before. Torrenting causes TCP congestion in your local network that causes slowdown, not necessarily the download speed itself.

Advertisement