Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off-Topic Thread V3.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,353 ✭✭✭xtal191

Theres 20% off Amazon Warehouse deals, just got a like new 5700xt for €332. Already started on Germany, France, Italy and Spain and will be live in the UK at midnight.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,992 ✭✭✭KilOit

xtal191 wrote: »
    Theres 20% off Amazon Warehouse deals, just got a like new 5700xt for €332. Already started on Germany, France, Italy and Spain and will be live in the UK at midnight.

No doubt from the avalanche of 5700xt returns, wait a few days and mine will be up there

• Registered Users Posts: 6,222 ✭✭✭Calvin

xtal191 wrote: »

What’s warranty/returns like on warehouse deals? Presume it’s normal Amazon returns policy?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭jebidiah

OSI wrote: »
    What sort of router do you have? No use asking the torrenter to be less of a dick?

The router is an Asus rt-n66u, linked to a virgin hub 3.0. Ive already had it set to modem mode and that made a huge difference, I imagine there was a lot of delay caused there by double NAT etc.
    Exactly. What would you even be downloading to be constantly downloading stuff.

He is a member of one of those torrent sites for years and uploads constantly, he has like 1000 torrents in his Utorrent or something.
    Ask him to use a scheduler on the torrent program. Come to a mutual agreement, that he can DL/UL his hearts content from midnight-7am or something. I do this, Tixati autoschedules DLs after midnight and I add torrents I want in the evening before. Torrenting causes TCP congestion in your local network that causes slowdown, not necessarily the download speed itself.

I've/we've done this but in fairness he should be able to mess around with torrenting when he is home as well. I think you're right its not necessarily a bandwidth thing, just a cluster **** of packets trying to get through the queue and buffer cant handle it.

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭yoshiktk

jebidiah wrote: »
    The router is an Asus rt-n66u, linked to a virgin hub 3.0. Ive already had it set to modem mode and that made a huge difference, I imagine there was a lot of delay caused there by double NAT etc.

He is a member of one of those torrent sites for years and uploads constantly, he has like 1000 torrents in his Utorrent or something.

I've/we've done this but in fairness he should be able to mess around with torrenting when he is home as well. I think you're right its not necessarily a bandwidth thing, just a cluster **** of packets trying to get through the queue and buffer cant handle it.

Get a second,seperate connection? Or maybe a switch setup with bandwith limit? But with the amount of packets I would say option first would be the best. That or anonymous tip to Garda ;D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭z0oT

I'm looking into changing QOS settings and maybe either limiting bandwidth per user or per application/type of connection.
    Limiting the max number of connections is another thing that can be done that hasn't been mentioned. All torrent clients should have this feature.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Man, not a chance your graphics card caused your system to fail to recognise your Sata drive and caused windows repairs. You have some issues there and you need to start working out what they are.

Oh yeah I know that. SATA failing was just the recent in a random mystery “I’m going to crash and waste hours of your time “

In the end it just sorted itself. Like actually just sorted itself and been fine since.

On the other hand. My pc basically crashing with a “no display found” on my monitor and randomly just during is what I’m currently contending with, on a daily basis

EoinHef wrote: »
    Did you ever run memtest on the PC?

No I didn’t. Sorry if you suggested this and I missed it

• Registered Users Posts: 13,986 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

KilOit wrote: »
    2 intake fans at front, 1 exhaust top and 1 at back. Using gammas cpu cool that maintains cpu under 65° all the time.
    My gtx 1080 never went above 65° this yoke ramps up 85° in 5 minds with junction temp going to 110°
    I think it's fecked personally. Ramped the fans to 4000rpm and gpu only maintains 75° and junction 95°

TLDR, AMD Navi reports higher temps then your used to, the key word is "reports". The engineers have been trying to get better temp readings, the mistake they made was reporting those temps directly back to the users. Intel+AMD processers teams did the same thing over the years, gave up and just offset the temps by 20c when reporting back to the users.

Your trying to ramp the card down to a level that isn't required and complaining about the noise your generating. The Nvidia equivalent would have been trying to force the 1080 down to 50° under load and complaining it's too loud. Assuming it was running at 65 under load, seems doubtful.
    TheDoc wrote: »
    Oh yeah I know that. SATA failing was just the recent in a random mystery “I’m going to crash and waste hours of your time “

In the end it just sorted itself. Like actually just sorted itself and been fine since.

On the other hand. My pc basically crashing with a “no display found” on my monitor and randomly just during is what I’m currently contending with, on a daily basis

You can't say, my Sata drive **** itself only on my system, I didn't do anything to fix it but it "fixed" itself, yet it's definitely the card that's responsible for my other problems. The card has some problems, some of those might be the ones you are experiencing. But you have something else wrong there and your blinkered onto the card being the only possible cause.

I'm not saying it is or it isn't. What I am saying is you need to put in the effort to figure out what is working versus what you assume isn't.

Slap a old GPU in,
    Memtest on the memory.
    CPU stress test, monitoring temps.
    GPU and CPU stress test, stress the PSU for load, get the whole lot nice and hot(and expanding).
    A "new" windows install, new GPU, same issue?

GPU is probably your problem.

Are you all hardwired or on the wifi? It's pretty unfixable if your all on the same wifi point.

For QOS, rough guide.
    Set the bandwidth Virgin provides in the Asus QOS menu.
    You would need to enable user defined priority in the asus QOS settings. Put the lowest setting upload to something like 10% - 30%, download 50%.
    In the user defined QOS rules, put his torrent machine's MAC or IP into the lowest group, no specific TCP or UDP rules. Just IP and lowest group.
    Drop the netflix machine into another group, with at least 40Mbps download. You can probably go higher, gaming really only uses kilobytes. They just need to not be delayed.

That will help you alleviate some of the bandwidth concerns. But if he has thousands of torrents which are active, it's always going to overload a "home" router. It's going to end up with a huge NAT table trying to manage all those connections. They are not built for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,798 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

What’s warranty/returns like on warehouse deals? Presume it’s normal Amazon returns policy?

I'm not 100% but I afaik it's normal 1 year or whatever.

But I just wanted to add, I bought an Asus monitor from warehouse deals before that would normally have a 3 year warranty. 2.5 years into use, it developed a fault. And Asus, sent me out a brand new monitor and took away the faulty one.

• Advertisement

I had to send back a Warehouse Deal last week that was listed As New. Three parts missing and it was grubby af.
    I got onto chat and they mailed a return label. Not been refunded yet though as it's still in transit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭Redfox25

Have heard horror stories of people buying items from warehouse deals that were missing bits or in some cases where the item had been removed and a similar weight was put back in the box so when it was weighted on return it was deemed to be ok. Was a big thing with processors there for a while.

Having said that, Amazon customer service is great and I have never had any issues with anything I bought from them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭EoinHef

TheDoc wrote: »
    No I didn’t. Sorry if you suggested this and I missed it

No worries man,just throwing out a few suggestions that might help.

Had a stick go faulty on me not that long ago and it was causing a good bit of system instability.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Redfox25 wrote: »
    Have heard horror stories of people buying items from warehouse deals that were missing bits or in some cases where the item had been removed and a similar weight was put back in the box so when it was weighted on return it was deemed to be ok. Was a big thing with processors there for a while.

Having said that, Amazon customer service is great and I have never had any issues with anything I bought from them.

Meanwhile I got my latest headphones (Microsoft Surface On-Ear) for £130 (down from £245+)

All I had to do was reset the user & language from Spanish to English.

===

Redid my inner cabling today.
    Tried to replace the RTX 2070 Super's fan too, but it requires 3mm hex drivers which I don't have :rolleyes:
    So that's for next week, along with replacing the TIM on GPU & CPU with Hydronaut.

Ah man just let me have my rants will ya, less of this "logic" stuff.

Absolutely get what your saying, I've always made life more difficult for myself in personal PC troubleshooting then the what would be handier "piece by piece"

Issue is I really just don't have the time or really the stomach anymore for that level of troubleshooting, if I feel things arn't working the way they should, for a hefty piece of money, they can just go back.

This is the first PC I probably built in 7 years as I just moved past the point of caring, being interested or having the time. Happily just paid more for a prebuilt :D

No worries man,just throwing out a few suggestions that might help.

Had a stick go faulty on me not that long ago and it was causing a good bit of system instability.

I've atleast brought the system problems down to this absolutely one type of problem, where the display just goes, "no display error" and nothing happens. And it "can" be after a hefty session.

I'd say last night I was raiding and playing wow for about 5 hours, then it happened randomly. I'm actually not running any temp stuff as it was one of the "things to do to address isues" ditch any temperature monitoring software as seemingly it can cause issues with the current AMD API for GPU's

Maybe I might throw it back on and start capturing some data

I'd be shocked if it's getting to hot, but then that was also in the frequent 5700 issues, that the fan profiles are a mess

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    Meanwhile I got my latest headphones (Microsoft Surface On-Ear) for £130 (down from £245+)

All I had to do was reset the user & language from Spanish to English.

===

Redid my inner cabling today.
    Tried to replace the RTX 2070 Super's fan too, but it requires 3mm hex drivers which I don't have :rolleyes:
    So that's for next week, along with replacing the TIM on GPU & CPU with Hydronaut.

My gripe is that it was sold As New and it obviously wasn't even checked.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭Redfox25

My gripe is that it was sold As New and it obviously wasn't even checked.

I think its cheaper not to check and just pay out if it all goes wrong.
    Or else do a very limited check on a selection of items.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,040 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Had a stick go faulty on me not that long ago.

I just imagined you sitting in the yard with a broken branch in your hands looking really upset :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭z0oT

TLDR, AMD Navi reports higher temps then your used to, the key word is "reports". The engineers have been trying to get better temp readings, the mistake they made was reporting those temps directly back to the users. Intel+AMD processers teams did the same thing over the years, gave up and just offset the temps by 20c when reporting back to the users.
    When it comes to graphics cards, it's worth mentioning AMD actually give you more temperature information than Nvidia. They provide two readings:
    • GPU temperature - Presumably is the temperature on the external packaging of the die.
    • Junction Temperature - Temperature at the silicon transistor level. This will always be higher than the above given how the heat transfer works.
    Nvidia only give you the 1st one - They don't tell you what the other one is.

AMD would be far better off not reporting the junction temperature, since people see 100C+ (while ignoring the other lower figure) and start fretting around on forums thinking everything is going to melt when in reality there's nothing to worry about. (In the semiconductor world, junction temperatures of 125C or even up to 150C are often just fine even from a long term reliability point of view)

In reality Nvidia's GPUs likely run at very similar temperatures, they just report the 1st reading above. If their GPU temperature is 75-85C, you can bet their Junction Temperature is approaching 100C or is beyond it aswell.

Same for processors too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭farna_boy

So I have a few bits and pieces that I am looking to sell after my most recent upgrades.

Would I be better off trying to put it altogether in a build or should I just try to sell them separately?

I'm not expecting a whole lot for them but you should be able to play a lot of modern games at medium (at least).

The parts are:
    Z170 Asrock Exterme 4
    Intel i5 6500
    8GB DDR4 Ballistix @2666MHz
    AMD HD7970 GHz Edition

I also have an old case in my parents house (a Cooler Master Mystique 632 that I could to assembly everything) and I have a few spare 2TB drives so all I'd be short is a PSU.

Would it be worth assembling it tho to get a better price?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,887 ✭✭✭Joeface

farna_boy wrote: »

Would it be worth assembling it tho to get a better price?
    I think build is best
    As a build it gets it all off your hands in one go instead of many many many deals. Buyer gets a full system in one go.

It may take longer to shift but adverts look up similar specs and under cut . might help.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭Homelander

depends what price you were thinking. As parts....all pretty old school and outdated really, like the processor isn't nearly as old as the 7970 obviously for example but arguably is even more obsolete. Probably get something like this on adverts.

Z170 Asrock Exterme 4 60
    Intel i5 6500 60
    8GB DDR4 Ballistix @2666MHz 30
    AMD HD7970 GHz Edition 50

Might get around 300 as a full system with a drive and psu. Personally I probably would just sell as parts and hope to get a decent price for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,195 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Bit annoyed a face plate fell off my 2080TI

eczxPU2.png

So on my card the 'Geforce RTX 2080TI' plate fell off

Card was only bought in October 2019.....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,875 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

How was it attached? Just glued on?

• Registered Users Posts: 54,195 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

How was it attached? Just glued on?

Yes seems so.

Its a not really a big deal as such but when you pay alot of money for a GPU you dont expect this after 3-4 months

I've since just push it back into place, let see how long it lasts

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,539 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

TitianGerm wrote: »
    If you have a 4K panel why not a 24" 1080p at 144hz?

Saw this on HUKD for £90

https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/lenovo-d24f-10-236-fhd-freesync-tn-144hz-1ms-gaming-monitor-8999-at-lenovo-3-years-warranty-3390477

Edit:

Or this QHD that was posted on another thread although it's 27" so probably to big for your space?

Electriq 27" QHD 1440p 95Hz FreeSync HDR Monitor

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07TXHBWMK/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_Sv2iEbQ3CJDQ5

So the lenovo arrived yesterday, I'm very impressed by it so far. On first boot with the monitor everything setup fine and I appear to have a virus hogging my cpu so I removed it and rebooted. When it reboot one of the amd apps opened and enabled freesync and man oh man the colours just popped :) so thanks again for the link, I'm happily gaming away while she gets to watch love Island haha

• Registered Users Posts: 28,040 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Kimbot wrote: »
    I'm happily gaming away while she gets to watch love Island haha

Anything to avoid that rubbish :pac:

Sounds like a great buy. I should have grabbed two for work when they were that cheap!!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,539 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

TitianGerm wrote: »
    Anything to avoid that rubbish :pac:

Sounds like a great buy. I should have grabbed two for work when they were that cheap!!

Yeah, I ran destiny on it for a few mins and just drooled haha

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭jebidiah

Are you all hardwired or on the wifi? It's pretty unfixable if your all on the same wifi point.

For QOS, rough guide.
    Set the bandwidth Virgin provides in the Asus QOS menu.
    You would need to enable user defined priority in the asus QOS settings. Put the lowest setting upload to something like 10% - 30%, download 50%.
    In the user defined QOS rules, put his torrent machine's MAC or IP into the lowest group, no specific TCP or UDP rules. Just IP and lowest group.
    Drop the netflix machine into another group, with at least 40Mbps download. You can probably go higher, gaming really only uses kilobytes. They just need to not be delayed.

That will help you alleviate some of the bandwidth concerns. But if he has thousands of torrents which are active, it's always going to overload a "home" router. It's going to end up with a huge NAT table trying to manage all those connections. They are not built for that.

Netflix and one gaming PC are hardwired. My PC and his are on a power line.

Thanks for this. Last week I put his uTorrent port on low priority and that seems to have made a difference. He also cleared up a huge amount of torrents so I guess the number of connections is reduced. I'll try the stuff you suggested and see how I get on.

I'll set up more rules based on your suggestions, but if I limit his IP to low will his overall net usage be affected?

Advertisement