Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off-Topic Thread V3.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

KilOit wrote: »
    I'm sold, just pulled the trigger. Wish I just went this route first instead of buying on adverts, was sold a defective monitor that flickers, huge bleeds and scanlines, complete thrash! Was sold as perfect working order :rolleyes:

Did you get your monitor. How is it?

If you need help with the OSD settings and calibration give me a shout.

Need some radeon settings changes too.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Headshot wrote: »
    Yes seems so.

Its a not really a big deal as such but when you pay alot of money for a GPU you dont expect this after 3-4 months

I've since just push it back into place, let see how long it lasts

Hot GPU + glue = :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,992 ✭✭✭KilOit

BloodBath wrote: »
    Did you get your monitor. How is it?

If you need help with the OSD settings and calibration give me a shout.

Need some radeon settings changes too.

I did, it's great! thanks for the tip.
    wouldn't mind knowing what your settings are. Nvidia card is coming Monday so won't have the AMD card for long

• Registered Users Posts: 13,986 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

jebidiah wrote: »
    Netflix and one gaming PC are hardwired. My PC and his are on a power line.

I would get yourself off the powerline if you can. You and him effectively share a cable, which only allows 1 device to talk at a time.
    jebidiah wrote: »
    I'll set up more rules based on your suggestions, but if I limit his IP to low will his overall net usage be affected?

Yes but its relative to the overall bandwidth available.

25% overall of the lowest package, is roughly 60Mb/6Mb. There are plenty of people across the country who would kill for those speeds in their house and it would be what I would consider a good working bandwidth for a entire household. But once he slams off that with his torrents, he will be the first to see negative effects.

Honestly the fact that he has thousands of active torrents, had put zero caps in place himself in regards connection limits or bandwidth restrictions(almost every single client has had this for years), I'd say make sure the broadband line isn't legally in your name because I don't think he really understands what he is doing.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Honestly the fact that he has thousands of active torrents, had put zero caps in place himself in regards connection limits or bandwidth restrictions(almost every single client has had this for years), I'd say make sure the broadband line isn't legally in your name because I don't think he really understands what he is doing.

Going by some of the previous posts, the housemate is a member of a torrent site. I assume it is a private one with ratios. That would definitely worry me. If he is a big uploaded or contributor to the site then it could land them in trouble. I don't know if any one in Ireland has been properly brought to court for torrenting but if it ever does happen, it's likely to be a big contributor rather than somebody downloading some movies or TV show.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,242 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Can I get a bit of advice from people. Just had to switch from Eir to Sky. Previous speeds on my PC using the WiFi was around 50Mbps (This time last week).

Since moving to Sky my PC WiFi is around 8Mbps, however on my mobile phones it's more than 80Mbps. Nothing downloading, no streaming on the PC's. Sadly Ethernet is not an option due to the layout of the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Krombopulos Michael

Sonics2k wrote: »
    Can I get a bit of advice from people. Just had to switch from Eir to Sky. Previous speeds on my PC using the WiFi was around 50Mbps (This time last week).

Since moving to Sky my PC WiFi is around 8Mbps, however on my mobile phones it's more than 80Mbps. Nothing downloading, no streaming on the PC's. Sadly Ethernet is not an option due to the layout of the house.

It would be worth uninstalling your WIFI drivers and reinstalling them.

See some steps here

https://forums.tomsguide.com/threads/wifi-slow-on-laptop-but-fast-on-mobile.141567/

It would be worth uninstalling your WIFI drivers and reinstalling them.

See some steps here

https://forums.tomsguide.com/threads/wifi-slow-on-laptop-but-fast-on-mobile.141567/

I'll give it a shot!

Do you use a PCIE Wifi card?

Do you use a PCIE Wifi card?

I do indeed, a TP-Link one I believe.

Swapped over to the 2.4Ghz band and not hitting 15Mbps.

It's absolutely bizarre it's this low when the admin shows it's getting a downstream of about 80Mbps

https://gyazo.com/ce611774d20a6f0d86a8c0bf7e32195c

• Advertisement

I'm on Virgin 500MB and with my old Tplink card i was getting around 80MB. Upgraded to a better model of card and am now getting 400MB with it. Could it be an inferior model of card that's the trouble ?

I'm on Virgin 500MB and with my old Tplink card i was getting around 80MB. Upgraded to a better model of card and am now getting 400MB with it. Could it be an inferior model of card that's the trouble ?

I'd agree with you typically, but just last week this one was getting much higher speeds.

Out of curiosity I checked my kids PC, which is connected via Ethernet and it too is only getting around 15Mbps.

Time to ring the dreaded broadband provider.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭Homelander

Took a gamble on a warehouse 35" ultrawide the other day. Half expected it to turn up broken/faulty/missing parts, but knock on wood so far so good.

It's this one, got it for £500 delivered as there was 20% of the warehouse price. Haven't used it properly yet but some Apex Legends at 3440x1440 was pretty sweet coming from a 1440p.

In fact they still have one for £650 + 20% and this one apparently is brand new just with packaging damage so might be worth a go.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/AOC-AG352UCG6-Widescreen-Multimedia-3440x1440/dp/B07BZB1S7V/ref=asc_df_B07BZB1S7V/?tag=googshopuk-21&linkCode=df0&hvadid=310809345994&hvpos=1o1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=5623099179871112658&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=1007864&hvtargid=aud-858880340294:pla-527349449506&psc=1&th=1&psc=1

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

I did, it's great! thanks for the tip.
    wouldn't mind knowing what your settings are. Nvidia card is coming Monday so won't have the AMD card for long

Great. After a lot of tweaking I settled on brightness as high as you want. I tend to vary between 70-100 depending on how tired I am.

Contrast use the black/white test here and set it so you can see all windows. For me 47 was the right number with a black level of 50. Both of those will affect this.

http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/black.php http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/white.php

Eco Standard, DCR OFF, HDR OFF.

Color Temp User. set a solid white background picture and adjust until you get a pure white. For me like the review the green was a little high by default. So its 50 red, 50 blue, 48 green.

Sharpness 0. Using the sharpening from radeon control settings anyway. Black level 50. Freesync on, OD (overdrive) on. Not sure about the OD on/off yet though.

Onto radeon settings. Global graphics settings. Radeon anti lag off. Radeon chill on. Min FPS 93, Max FPS 94. This keeps our monitor in the freesync range for all games making sure we aren't wasting power and freesync works.

Radeon boost disabled. Image sharpening enabled at the default 80%.

Enhanced sync disabled.

Global display settings next in radeon settings. Enable freesync. Colour depth 10 bit. Pixel format full.

After all that finish with a windows monitor calibration which can be accessed from the radeon software by clicking on desktop colour in the top right when on display settings or just windows search calibration. This will fix the gamma a bit but not fully. Need a proper calibration tool for that.

Only adjust gamma settings here. Colour/contrast/brightness settings should be done via monitor OSD. Sadly monitor doesn't have a gamma setting.

I would say a lot of people have their monitors miscalibrated. Worth using the above site and the windows calibration at least. If you can get access to a hardware calibration tool even better.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

Anybody else see this revised ryzen 1600 af?
    https://www.techspot.com/review/1977-amd-ryzen-1600-af/

Would be a great deal if it was available in Europe as cheaply!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭Homelander

It is insane value. $85 for an excellent six core CPU. Wonder why they didn't call it something like Ryzen 1650 to make a point. It's what the FX6300 was aiming for (but failed due to the weakness of the architecture), but this time it actually hits the mark in a big way.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Lu Tze wrote: »
    Anybody else see this revised ryzen 1600 af?
    https://www.techspot.com/review/1977-amd-ryzen-1600-af/

Would be a great deal if it was available in Europe as cheaply!

€96 in Germany compared to €118 for the 2600, decent savings - too bad we can't avail of it!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,040 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Anyone have a Pixio? Was watching a few reviews on them lately and definitely look to tick a lot of boxes.

Thinking of picking up the Pixio PX7 Prime later on in the year.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07WGXXV55/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_ND.lEbANRYCMB

• Registered Users Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭SickBoy

TitianGerm wrote: »
    Anyone have a Pixio? Was watching a few reviews on them lately and definitely look to tick a lot of boxes.

Thinking of picking up the Pixio PX7 Prime later on in the year.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07WGXXV55/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_ND.lEbANRYCMB

I have it and I love it.
    If you want high refresh and good visuals this does indeed seem to tick all the boxes.

Go for it!

• Advertisement

SickBoy wrote: »
    I have it and I love it.
    If you want high refresh and good visuals this does indeed seem to tick all the boxes.

Go for it!

I have a Lenovo 1080p 144hz Gsnyc panel but I'm thinking of selling that and stumping up the extra for the Pixio.

Either that or just keep both although the Lenovo is curved so dual monitor might look a little wonky :)

Did you order from Amazon?

Did you order from Amazon?

Yup.
    Going from 1080p you'll also appreciate the extra screen resolution

Before you pull the trigger

Thanks for that. I like the look of the ViewSonic mentioned there as well.

Probably building a new PC next year and stepping up from an Ryzen 1700 and RTX2060 to something beefier. I think the 1440p monitor would be a good pairing.

Just coming back to this. The LG UltraGear 32GK650F monitor is available on Curry's for €359. Is that the one that was getting great reviews?

Just coming back to this. The LG UltraGear 32GK650F monitor is available on Curry's for €359. Is that the one that was getting great reviews?

Yup. Cheaper than Amazon at that price. Unless you are thinking of the 27" IPS one. The one above is VA.

Yup. Cheaper than Amazon at that price. Unless you are thinking of the 27" IPS one. The one above is VA.

This one? Never seemed to be in stock when I checked but it's there now. I think I'd prefer the 27". Not sure of the difference between IPS and VA.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07XS9N2CL/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_N3vmEbK58W8QC

Edit: scratch that I linked the 1080P one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,992 ✭✭✭KilOit

OSI wrote: »
    5700 XT gone back, 2080 Super in. I wonder how many hours of actual RT the RTX will see.

Mine went back as well and 2070 super installed. Max temp from 5700xt was about 85° and junction near 110° max temp I get from 2070 super is 67° and its a lot more quiet.
    A lot of heart ache switching them over and messed up an order, the card is about €120 more expensive than 5700xt and lost €75 on exchange rate refunds.
    When I was selling my gtx1080 to the buyer I said to him in going regret selling this and I really am.
    Old monitor didn't work with new cards so had to buy a new one and got scammed on Adverts. All in the new card cost me near €650 and that's deducting the 350 from gtx1080

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Mine went back as well and 2070 super installed. Max temp from 5700xt was about 85° and junction near 110° max temp I get from 2070 super is 67° and its a lot more quiet.
    A lot of heart ache switching them over and messed up an order, the card is about €120 more expensive than 5700xt and lost €75 on exchange rate refunds.
    When I was selling my gtx1080 to the buyer I said to him in going regret selling this and I really am.
    Old monitor didn't work with new cards so had to buy a new one and got scammed on Adverts. All in the new card cost me near €650 and that's deducting the 350 from gtx1080

How did you get scammed on adverts?

• Advertisement

This one? Never seemed to be in stock when I checked but it's there now. I think I'd prefer the 27". Not sure of the difference between IPS and VA.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07XS9N2CL/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_N3vmEbK58W8QC

Edit: scratch that I linked the 1080P one.

It's the GL850 that seems to be the one that everyone is after. Very hard to find one in stock.

Advertisement