Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off-Topic Thread V3.0

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭turdball

There's not much going at that price point. RX590 8GB or GTX1060 6GB, a little faster with more vram but not huge upgrades, the market has stagnated horribly in recent years.

If you can stretch to €330ish Vega 56 is a big upgrade and comes with Resident Evil 2, DMC 5 and Division 2.

RTX2060 is the closest Nvidia equivalent at the moment, but around €380, comes with Anthem and Battlefield V too.

Thanks Terror, Think I'll leave the upgrade for another while. Not having any real problems with the 970 anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

MiskyBoyy wrote: »
    Yes.

You can buy aftermarket ones like in the video.

Sorry, gotta call BS here.

One, thats for a laptop, so not really applicable to Heads beastly ever upgraded tower.
    The different methods we tested really boil down to two types of cooling: passive cooling with a heatsink and active cooling with a fan. Both can make a big difference, but one thing that was clear in our testing is that even a small amount of airflow over the drive can be extremely beneficial. While we did not specifically test it, even better would be to combine the two methods by having a heatsink on the drive along with a fan providing some airflow over the heatsink.

Keep in mind that in the real world, it is very uncommon to fully utilize a drive this fast to the same extent we did in our testing. Very few programs will actually be able to read from a Samsung 950 Pro at full speed for more than a very short period of time, but if you do have a situation where you need a M.2 drive to perform at full speed for longer periods of time this should give you an idea of what you may need to do to achieve this.

Two, abovei from Puget. Basically a drive of that speed completes its actions so fast it never really gets hot as its idle the majority of the time. And even if it does, heat isn't an issue. Heatsinks for M2 are about as important as RGB DIMMs.

Just benchmarked mine. Idle 33*C, Load 33*C. Pick the biggest game you can think of and install it. See if it even gets warm.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,798 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

ED E wrote: »
    Sorry, gotta call BS here.

One, thats for a laptop, so not really applicable to Heads beastly ever upgraded tower.

Two, abovei from Puget. Basically a drive of that speed completes its actions so fast it never really gets hot as its idle the majority of the time. And even if it does, heat isn't an issue. Heatsinks for M2 are about as important as RGB DIMMs.

Just benchmarked mine. Idle 33*C, Load 33*C. Pick the biggest game you can think of and install it. See if it even gets warm.

I'll admit. I only based my evidence on that one video.

After further investigation I can see it was clearly wrong.

I'm just after ordering a 970 Evo 500GB. I have the Asus Strix Z390 which has one heat sink.

So going on what you're saying and the general consensus on reddit etc, it doesn't really matter if I hide it under the heat sink or leave it out in the open?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Not unless your airflow is zilch.

Mines on a PCIE daughter board to get x4 speeds but your board is double x4 so you won't have that problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,212 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

How powerful are the vega gpus lads?

Looking to build a fresh pc just wondering where the value for mo ey lies is it amd or nvidia now?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

How powerful are the vega gpus lads?

Looking to build a fresh pc just wondering where the value for mo ey lies is it amd or nvidia now?

The 56 popping up now and again for 300 quid delivered is damm good value. Otherwise the 2060 is the better card.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

I've a 56. Below is my Timespy result

https://www.3dmark.com/spy/5640095

I can play games at 4k with a overclock. Doom plays the best out of all the games I own at 4k.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭EoinHef

What do people think the below is worth:

3570K @ 4.3Ghz
    Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo
    8gb DDR3 1666Mhz
    Asrock Extreme 4 Z77
    DVD R/CD R Dive
    All in a Coolermaster HAF 912 Advanced

Would €200 be a starting point on adverts,hoping to maybe get €150?

Have givin it a good clean,except the heat sink fin stack as ran out of compressed air but other wise shes solid and fairly clean

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

EoinHef wrote: »

3570K @ 4.3Ghz
    8gb DDR3 1666Mhz
    Asrock Extreme 4 Z77
    DVD R/CD R Dive

Have givin it a good clean,except the heat sink fin stack as ran out of compressed air but other wise shes solid and fairly clean
    Yeah that's a fair price.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭Xenoronin

EoinHef wrote: »

3570K @ 4.3Ghz
    8gb DDR3 1666Mhz
    Asrock Extreme 4 Z77
    DVD R/CD R Dive

I think you are undercharging for all this. That's still a beast of a PC, regardless of age. Splitting is generally more profitable. Below seems to be the going rate from ebay.ie.
    MOBO: ~100euro
    CPU: ~70-80euro
    RAM: hard to gauge, but ~20-30euro
    Case: depending on condition ~20-50euro
    Cooler: ~20euro

To give a bundle example, without the case and cooler, this sold for approx €140.
    https://www.ebay.ie/itm/i5-3570K-CPU-Asrock-Z77-Extreme-4-Motherboard-8GB-Kingston-HyperX-RAM-Bundle/233082998744?hash=item3644d44fd8:g:wlgAAOSwgrZcMeyF

Below single parts estimate but that seems to always be the case anyway. If it is just clutter to you, then initial €200 should definitely shift it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Don't go by ebay prices as I once sold a item on Ebay and was charged a serious chunk by them and said I will never sell on there again. Shops on there can afford it as they pay a set price each year rather than an amount on each item they sell.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭Xenoronin

Did not know that! Good to know :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭will56

Has anyone ever had a backplate stuck to the back of a motherboard ?

Need to replace my AIO but the backplate is stuck to the back and won't budge.

Safe to use a hairdryer or similar to see if it loosens whatever adhesive is there ?
    I didn't install the AIO so dunno what has it on so tight.

Which motherboard? Might be manufacturer-applied & not moveable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭will56

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    Which motherboard? Might be manufacturer-applied & not moveable.

Motherboard: Gigabyte H87N-WIFI ITX

AIO: Corsair Hydro Series H55

will56 wrote: »
    Motherboard: Gigabyte H87N-WIFI ITX

AIO: Corsair Hydro Series H55

Going by the H55's manual, it has 2 adhesive strips holding it into place on the motherboard.
    Try heating the sides of the backplate with a hair dryer for a bit. Try a glue removal spray (that's a thing right?)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,446 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

I recommend a hair spray and a lighter for ultimate heat

warning!: this may or may not void your warranty

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

A lot of OEM's do that, the backplate is secured by thick double sided adhesive pads, sort of like those 3M rolls.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭deceit

I've done similar without issue on older motherboards with a heatgun. You have to put it on its lowest setting and be quick with it though.
    I've also done the same with ram (new stuff) without issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,094 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Does anyone know what company Nvidia use to ship their GPUs to Ireland? I got a Parcel Force shipping number but it's not being recognized.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭BArra

parcel force must pass off to a courier over here, have you tried entering that tracking number on say, fastway, niteline, anpost, GLS websites?

it will likely work on one of those as long as its arrived from the UK and would also display the converted 'Irish' tracking number of whichever carrier deals with parcel force

if my ageing memory serves, it would be GLS

BArra wrote: »
    parcel force must pass off to a courier over here, have you tried entering that tracking number on say, fastway, niteline, anpost, GLS websites?

it will likely work on one of those as long as its arrived from the UK and would also display the converted 'Irish' tracking number of whichever carrier deals with parcel force

if my ageing memory serves, it would be GLS

It shows the tracking number as "not recognized" on the Parcel Force website. I've tried it in a few of those but I'll try the others now. Thank you.

very odd that it does not show on parcel force site? did it dispatch from the UK?

unless it dispatched today and hasn't been picked up or logged into parcelforce yet?

very odd that it does not show on parcel force site? did it dispatch from the UK?

unless it dispatched today and hasn't been picked up or logged into parcelforce yet?

It said it was dispatched on the 31st on the Nvidia site. Tried online chat with Nvidia today but couldn't get an agent.

should have been picked up so, I don't have direct experience with a GPU off NVIDIA direct so maybe someone here who has it

I do know that it should prob show a pickup scan from parcel force, origin scan at their depot and export scan to Ireland, when it gets to Ireland then whoever it is delivering it, the parcel force tracking number would work and likely show the converted Irish tracking number in it

def get onto NVIDIA to clarify

should have been picked up so, I don't have direct experience with a GPU off NVIDIA direct so maybe someone here who has it

I do know that it should prob show a pickup scan from parcel force, origin scan at their depot and export scan to Ireland, when it gets to Ireland then whoever it is delivering it, the parcel force tracking number would work and likely show the converted Irish tracking number in it

def get onto NVIDIA to clarify

Thanks Barra.

TitianGerm wrote: »
    Does anyone know what company Nvidia use to ship their GPUs to Ireland? I got a Parcel Force shipping number but it's not being recognized.

Well it arrived today but the tracking number never worked at all. The driver said he tried to deliver yesterday as well.

Great looking card by the way. Looking forward to getting it set up.

haha what a cluster***k but alls well that ends well :cool:

what courier delivered it out of interest?

haha what a cluster***k but alls well that ends well :cool:

what courier delivered it out of interest?

It came with UTI Ireland. I'd never heard of them before but seem to be some way linked to DSV.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭h0neybadger

Hey folks, just received my 2080. The weight in these cards!

Would it be best to go with a support bracket? I'm worried about putting that much weight and having the card sag over time.

Or is it enough to support it using the IO plate screwed to case and sitting in the pci slot?

Support brackets don't seem to be too expensive, £15 - £18 etc.

Advertisement