Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off-Topic Thread V3.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,040 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

It's the GL850 that seems to be the one that everyone is after. Very hard to find one in stock.

Yea that's the one. I think my current panel is VA so might grab the Curry's one and save a few Euro over the Pixio one yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,992 ✭✭✭KilOit

How did you get scammed on adverts?

Sold a faulty monitor advertised like new with no faults.

KilOit wrote: »

Did you not test it before you brought it with you?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

KilOit wrote: »

Ah feck, that sucks.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,875 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Lads, apart from Currys/PC World, is there anywhere in the Dublin area that would have a few mice out on display? Need a new one but would much rather get a feel for shape/size first (ooooh matron).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,753 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Lads, apart from Currys/PC World, is there anywhere in the Dublin area that would have a few mice out on display? Need a new one but would much rather get a feel for shape/size first (ooooh matron).

Not that I am aware of, sadly Currys / PC World is all that remains of Irish bricks and mortar PC Components, poor selection and bad prices in the main.

Inquitus wrote: »
    Not that I am aware of, sadly Currys / PC World is all that remains of Irish bricks and mortar PC Components, poor selection and bad prices in the main.

Yeah, was afraid of that. Cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,992 ✭✭✭KilOit

OSI wrote: »
    Don’t Harvey Norman having a “gaming PC” section now ?

yeah, have some decent stuff on display
    https://www.harveynorman.ie/gaming/pc-gaming/keyboard-and-mice/?subcats=Y&features_hash=V38607

Those prices though. Ouch!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭jonski

Those prices though. Ouch!

I wonder how they or PC World sell anything tbh , I just use them now and again if I want to have a look and check the feel of an item .

• Advertisement

Forgot about HN. Might take a wander out to Airside over the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,222 ✭✭✭Calvin

Anyone ever used those eBay codes for discounts on certain stores?

There’s 10% off atm up to £75 on CCL and ebuyer eBay stores but the discount code is limited to UK addresses, so was thinking of just using parcel motel. I know that ebuyer don’t deliver to Ireland at all, but anyone tried it before with CCL eBay store?

After five years of AIO's i've made the decision to move to air cooling. Noctua NH-D15 ordered.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

jonski wrote: »
    I wonder how they or PC World sell anything tbh , I just use them now and again if I want to have a look and check the feel of an item .

In fairness to Harvey Norman’s, I’ve bought some gaming focused peripherals from there since they launched their gaming section and the prices were on par with online. Why I bought them there.

Relative of mine is the wholesaler for all that type of gear into Ireland and working on lowering RRP has been a major thing they’ve been working on and it’s starting to show.

There is a wide variety available in lots stores now. I think it’s a good thing being able to walk into a shop see some stuff and buy at a good price.

Corsair the latest brand he’s working with who really want to push into Irish market.

K.O.Kiki wrote: »

Placed an order with scan there. Thanks again. Have some new Corsair kit coming as well. Looking forward to the aesthetic upgrade. Will post pics when done.

In terms of my pc problems just the one remaining. Pc randomly will turn monitors black and more often then not a few seconds later come back on.

But at least once a day goes black , locks up and needs a reset.

Finding this happens toward the end of the day late at night. Wondering if it’s an overheating thing or something.

I’m still using the same PSU for a number of years now. Toyed with next month swopping it out anyway for a modular one to reduce all the cables I have. And like the idea of custom colored cabling.

I’m over the hump of the frustration anyway. Had three days of work this week where I did a good bit of gaming and the performance is great. Can’t fault that.

Few aesthetic upgrades, replacing the AMD cooler and then seeing if the noise is the GPU and what options I have there and all good.

After five years of AIO's i've made the decision to move to air cooling. Noctua NH-D15 ordered.

What made you take that decision out of interest? I’ve been probably ten years of air cooling but planned to move to AIO for the first time.

Temps arnt and shouldn’t be an issue I just aesthetically like the look of aio over a big fat fan or two sticking out of my motherboard

TheDoc wrote: »
    What made you take that decision out of interest? I’ve been probably ten years of air cooling but planned to move to AIO for the first time.

Temps arnt and shouldn’t be an issue I just aesthetically like the look of aio over a big fat fan or two sticking out of my motherboard

I just fancied a change. Looking forward to less cable clutter in the case too.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Anyone try CrystalDiskMark 7.0 it displays IOPS, MB's, GB's and micro scores.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,986 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

TheDoc wrote: »

My next cpu is going to be air cooled.

The reality is that AIO's are not needed on modern desktop processors, they don't produce enough heat to justify it.

And they add noise(pump whine) and increase risk while adding little benefit to a decent spec air cooler.

Now if you end up getting the new 64 core AMD threadripper, AIO/watercooling is probably justified. But the 3970x under sustained load just ends up around the same temps, water or air.

OSI wrote: »
    AIOs tend to offer more Overclocking head room though.

True. I had been on Intel until Ryzen 3000 and always overclocked but not much point doing it now as there's hardly any headroom.

NH-D15 arrived today and will install it on Friday. Pics to come on photo thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,222 ✭✭✭Calvin

Bought an MSI 2070 super trio from CCL’s eBay store for £455 which seems a great deal... then I realised after paying that PayPal throw in an extra 3% charge. Still a great deal, but could’ve done without that extra charge :pac:

I'm torn between going AIO or air for the build I'm currently working on. It'll be a SFF system so I won't be able to use the big boys of air cooling, like the D15.

How would this stack up against the Noctuas of this world?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07MJGNJB3/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_8CwoEbEMNRH7E

• Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Krombopulos Michael

I'm torn between going AIO or air for the build I'm currently working on. It'll be a SFF system so I won't be able to use the big boys of air cooling, like the D15.

Personally if you're not overclocking. I would go air cooled and get a low profile cooler such as the Noctua NH-L9i version for your chipset.

Personally if you're not overclocking. I would go air cooled and get a low profile cooler such as the Noctua NH-L9i version for your chipset.

I can get my hands on a second hand U9S, which will fit in my case. I might get that and do some testing before committing either way.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,553 ✭✭✭savemejebus

I have a first gen Liquid Freezer 120 in my machine and found it great and pretty damn quiet. Cheaper than a Noctua and small enough too. The new ones seem to be even smaller though they have a small vrm cooling fan added to the design too which i'm not sure about.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

I have a first gen Liquid Freezer 120 in my machine and found it great and pretty damn quiet. Cheaper than a Noctua and small enough too. The new ones seem to be even smaller though they have a small vrm cooling fan added to the design too which i'm not sure about.

The VRM fan is silent.
    Had one & misdiagnosed it as a noisy component; turns out the din was from the Nvidia fans.

Be aware the radiator is 38mm deep though, most are 28mm

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

I've had many AIO's at this stage, never had a leak and never suffered with pump noise. I only use them for asthetics though as we know, the big air coolers will be as good as them for performance. I don't like the idea of strapping a huge heavy chunk of metal to my mobo either!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

I've ditched AIO. Ive gone through 3 pumps in 6 years (supposedly good ones too!), one of which Corsair refused to RMA (pump died, I sent to them and they claimed forced damage...). Failure rate was crap. Not much can go wrong on an air cooler and replacing fans are generally simple. Temps were more or less the same as cheap air cooler. I just use the Wraith cooler that came with my AMDcpu now and I'm happy with it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,662 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

Any reason not to get a Lian Li O11 Dynamic?

Also, does the white one look as good as the review videos or is black a safer option?

Advertisement