Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off-Topic Thread V3.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,040 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Folks I'm going to upgrade to a 1440p screen now so looking at what people think my current monitor would be worth so I don't list it to high on Adverts.

The monitor I'll be selling is a Lenovo Y27G 1080P GSync panel. Have it since September 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

It's tough to sell high end monitors on adverts I've found. You'll have your lowballers wrecking your thread telling you they can get the same monitor from Jimmy down the road for a hundred quid.

Is be thinking 250-300 might be tough to get for it. I know these were 5-600 new but you'll struggle to get anywhere near its actual value. Good luck with your sale.

RossieMan wrote: »
    It's tough to sell high end monitors on adverts I've found. You'll have your lowballers wrecking your thread telling you they can get the same monitor from Jimmy down the road for a hundred quid.

Is be thinking 250-300 might be tough to get for it. I know these were 5-600 new but you'll struggle to get anywhere near its actual value. Good luck with your sale.

Thanks for that. I was thinking of listing it around €250 and taking €200-225.

TitianGerm wrote:
    Thanks for that. I was thinking of listing it around €250 and taking €200-225.

Yea seems pretty fair to me. You'd be selling it on the low end of its value, but might be worth it or you'll be holding it for months waiting for someone to buy.

Would be all over it if I'd the need for one!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭Homelander

Good old adverts. You will probably get offers from people based on the price of a monitor half the value. Sure, why would I pay €200 for a high-end, 1440p 144hz monitor when I can get a run-of-the-mill 1080p 60hz monitor for €100...ergo, they can only be worth the same.

• Advertisement

If it was less than €200 I'd just keep it and bring it to work for 144hz Excel files :pac:

As Homelander said I'll probably get mad offers of a tin of Dulex paint and a half eaten pack of Jonny Onion Rings!!

TitianGerm wrote:
    As Homelander said I'll probably get mad offers of a tin of Dulex paint and a half eaten pack of Jonny Onion Rings!!

Leave it with me a day and I'll ask the brother would he be interested. He had talked of upgrading. Where are you based?

RossieMan wrote: »
    Leave it with me a day and I'll ask the brother would he be interested. He had talked of upgrading. Where are you based?

There's no rush at all. I'm in Wexford but can arrange something.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

I need a reasonable spec PC for a conference in May and am dithering between a really small workstation or a high end laptop. Either way, I'd like to take it as hand luggage on the flight over. Minimum spec would be 16gb RAM and a fast CPU with minimum 8 threads. Don't need anything much in terms of GPU but 32GB and 16 or more threads would be a big plus. Hiring a big screen onsite so no screen needed.

New gen Ryzen laptops look interesting but not seeing much on prices or availability.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

So I have a dead motherboard from my old PC, so looking to offload a 3770 and 4x4GB of 1600mhz DDR3 ram. Any idea what i might get for them on adverts?

Or would i be wasting my time and better of bringing to a WEE bin with the motherboard :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭BeciMester

Lu Tze wrote: »
    So I have a dead motherboard from my old PC, so looking to offload a 3770 and 4x4GB of 1600mhz DDR3 ram. Any idea what i might get for them on adverts?

Or would i be wasting my time and better of bringing to a WEE bin with the motherboard :pac:
    If you're binning the RAM anyway I'll take it off ya :pac: I bet I could get it working in my 870A-G54 board with Phenom II 955 that I'm planning to turn into a media server - it has 4x2GB in it right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

BeciMester wrote: »
    If you're binning the RAM anyway I'll take it off ya :pac: I bet I could get it working in my 870A-G54 board with Phenom II 955 that I'm planning to turn into a media server - it has 4x2GB in it right now.

Cheers, I stuck them up anyways. If there are no offers or to much hassle I'll let you know before I Chuck them!

The LG GL83A came back into stock on Amazon at £389 earlier so I pulled the trigger. Time to see what a 1440p monitor is all about.

Did I make the right decision getting this over the Pixio PX7?

Yea i say you did. Glowing reviews for those new Nano IPS displays.

Yea i say you did. Glowing reviews for those new Nano IPS displays.

I don't think the GL83A has the Nano IPS panel? I thought it was the GL850 that has that?

Ah you're right. Still gets great reviews. Doubt you'd even notice the difference.

Ah you're right. Still gets great reviews. Doubt you'd even notice the difference.

Most likely not but looking forward to getting it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭BeciMester

Hey lads, did anyone ever have to return anything to CCL? What was the experience like?
    I'm thinking about jumping onto the MSI rebate offer and they are one of the authorised resellers for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

Recently bough a Corsair M65 Elite mouse. Gonna have to send it back after only 2 months as it is now possible to left click with an audable click without it registering the click.

Never buying a mouse from anyone other than logitech again. All my old logitech mice lasted 5+ years and only replaced from wear not breakages.

Tried several mice from other companies now and not 1 has lasted more than 1.5 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭Redfox25

They do make long lasting items alright.

• Advertisement

Haven't dropped or been rough with the mouse once.

Seen a review mention a similar issue but assumed he got unlucky with a damaged faulty model.

It's a shame as it is a lovely mouse but the floating button design is a failure.

I'll wait for a good sale price on the the G502 hero, buy that, then refund this thing. It's getting a 2 star review.

My cloud 2 headphones didn't last too long either. The leather on the cups fell apart after a year or 2 and the wire came loose cutting off sound to the right side. This seems to happen a lot with headphones that do not have a removable cable jack. Very hard to fix with soldering as well as the wires are tiny and very delicate and the mic is connected terribly inside. Any sort of pulling of the cable has a high chance of breaking them.

They are rated very highly and they are great new but they don't last.

Speaking of which I need recommendations for new headphones under €100.

Closed headphones with little to no noise leak, good sound stage and bass, oval cups ideally and removable cable jack with a decent mic.

Everywhere recommends the clouds and other sub par gaming headsets. I wouldn't mind some audiophile stuff even if I have to add a mic.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Anima

What about the Logitech mx518 re-release? They're great. Solid as well.

Have the cloud 2's also. Got them in a shop in Berlin for 55e. Seem pretty well made tbh. Not sure you'll find better. I went with the Astro Gaming 3 ah10 first. They are garbage, stay clear. People were saying they had great sound. They're all bass. No detail at all and the fit is awkward.

Anima wrote: »
    What about the Logitech mx518 re-release? They're great. Solid as well.

Have the cloud 2's also. Got them in a shop in Berlin for 55e. Seem pretty well made tbh. Not sure you'll find better. I went with the Astro Gaming 3 ah10 first. They are garbage, stay clear. People were saying they had great sound. They're all bass. No detail at all and the fit is awkward.

That's what my old logis were. Those things are built to last. Dropped and thrown plenty of times without a problem.

Not the prettiest mouse by todays standards but it is function over form. At least it has logis best modern optical sensor in it.

Did you get 1? Tough call between that and the modern g502 hero. Same price atm.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Anima

Yeah got one. It's excellent. Feels great but I liked and used the original for years so I'm used to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,418 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

I have the Cloud 2 as well but was also considering the Steelseries Arctis 5 if anything ever happened to them as they are normally rated in the same league

https://www.amazon.co.uk/SteelSeries-Arctis-Illumination-Headphone-PlayStation/dp/B07GG2VNW9/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=steelseries+arctis+5&qid=1582131585&s=computers&sr=1-1

I have Astro A50s that I bought years ago when Argos reduced the new model instead of the old model and sold them for €170.

Edit: these ones

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07G4DD5DB/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_qXwtEbJH6NEW1

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭z0oT

New toy came in the post today. :D

503352.jpg

Looking forward to playing around with IPMI for the 1st time ever later today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

Nice! X470 one?

Advertisement