Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off-Topic Thread V3.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,798 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

Ultrflat wrote: »
    Chemists will sell it to you, you may need to explain what its for.

Not in my experience. I tried 4-5 chemists in Waterford 2 or so years ago and had no luck. I explained what it was for. One old lady in 1 chemist kept repeating rather loudly, "NO ALCOHOL!"

The closest I got was the chemist counter in boots. A young female working there was just about to sell me some when her older colleague informed her she couldn't.

In the end. I ordered the 500ml bottle from Amazon via Address Pal.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

MiskyBoyy wrote: »
    Not in my experience. I tried 4-5 chemists in Waterford 2 or so years ago and had no luck. I explained what it was for. One old lady in 1 chemist kept repeating rather loudly, "NO ALCOHOL!"

The closest I got was the chemist counter in boots. A young female working there was just about to sell me some when her older colleague informed her she couldn't.

In the end. I ordered the 500ml bottle from Amazon via Address Pal.

What is the reason they don't want to sell it?

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭Coyler

That 500ml bottle may come in handy for other uses, I'd order 2 if I were you!!

Like removing permanent marker from your monitor screen. And while I'm here, WD40 will remove crayon.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,798 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

What is the reason they don't want to sell it?

Honestly no idea. I just gave up and ordered online as it was embarassing at that stage.

Probably the same as chronic alcoholics drinking methylated spirits.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭Coyler

Just try hardware stores or electronic trade suppliers. Radionics will generally have it, for example. I suspect Pharmacists are more tightly regulated and don't want hassle if somebody does something silly with it. On the other hand if you are selling power tools and equipment to mess with electricity, it's kind of implied you are accepting responsibility.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Jesus, I wouldn't fancy drinking that stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭amadablam

Probably. It's 99.1 %+/- alcohol.

I got a bottle today (no problem) and need it for computer, etc but also making a batch of hand sanitizer and there was no problem but pharmacist did say its in short supply as people are making large batches of hand sanitizer as its out of stock in most stores.

How anyone could contemplate drinking it is beyond me! Gross.

Yea. It's led to many a death over the years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭amadablam

Anyone personally noticed any supply problems getting PC parts yet?

I was waiting on the new bequiet pure base 500 dx case and bequiet customer service emailed me to say they are having delays with the cases and other items due to the covid-19 and they did not know when they would be with retailers and same goes for other items in their product lines.

Im probably going to just buy a different case as no idea when the new model will ship but no big deal.

Obviously common sense tells us not to panic buy something you didn't need in the first place but supplies are definitely being affected, mainly ones coming from China currently.

Gamer nexus had a bit of a dig at Jay's two cents for telling people to buy before supply and demand goes out of balance and while I'd tend to agree with GN on some points, it looks like there are going to be products affected in the short term.

Personally, I'm just finishing buying a few parts so I'm only buying what I intended to buy anyway.

Given the nature of the industry, it could prove to be a tricky time for distributors and manufacturers with products to get to market.

Interesting times :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭iLikeWaffles

Coyler wrote: »
    Like removing permanent marker from your monitor screen. And while I'm here, WD40 will remove crayon.

Like sanitising your hands.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

Settled on this list in the end. Decided to stump up a bit more for some TLC NAND SSD instead instead of the cheaper/slower QLC.

30% extra cost for 6 times durability and as much as 50% faster in some areas is worth.

Can't wait now. Ages since I've done a platform change and my first AMD cpu.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor (£151.98 @ Aria PC)
    CPU Cooler: ARCTIC Freezer 34 eSports DUO CPU Cooler (£34.99 @ Amazon UK)
    Motherboard: MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX ATX AM4 Motherboard (£102.47 @ Ebuyer)
    Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory (£141.18 @ Aria PC)
    Storage: ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive (£130.02 @ Amazon UK)
    Case Fan: ARCTIC P12 PWM PST(5-pack) 56.3 CFM 120 mm Fans (£29.10 @ Amazon UK)
    Total: £589.74
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-03-09 20:03 GMT+0000

amadablam wrote: »
    Anyone personally noticed any supply problems getting PC parts yet?

I was waiting on the new bequiet pure base 500 dx case and bequiet customer service emailed me to say they are having delays with the cases and other items due to the covid-19 and they did not know when they would be with retailers and same goes for other items in their product lines.

Im probably going to just buy a different case as no idea when the new model will ship but no big deal.

Obviously common sense tells us not to panic buy something you didn't need in the first place but supplies are definitely being affected, mainly ones coming from China currently.

Gamer nexus had a bit of a dig at Jay's two cents for telling people to buy before supply and demand goes out of balance and while I'd tend to agree with GN on some points, it looks like there are going to be products affected in the short term.

Personally, I'm just finishing buying a few parts so I'm only buying what I intended to buy anyway.

Given the nature of the industry, it could prove to be a tricky time for distributors and manufacturers with products to get to market.

Interesting times :)

I deal with Dell parts for warranty support for work and things are starting to dry up for sure. Lots of stuff on back order now.

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭z0oT

Just spent the last two hours or so installing Ubuntu Server 19.10 on my server.

It's working quite well so far, but now I've got to begin the long task of migrating the 17TB+ of media. :D

505218.png

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

Migrating? Is it not on its own drive or server rack?

All of my media is on NTFS drives, given I ran Windows Server 2019 up until today. I need to move it all to a Linux filesystem.

It'll involve a convoluted moving of stuff around between non-NTFS & NTFS drives, but it shouldn't be more than a few days to complete everything.

z0oT wrote: »
    given I ran Windows Server 2019 up until today
    hSckCOg.png

To be honest I actually quite like Windows Server 2019. It was really dependable for the 9 or so months I ran it. :P

Desktop Windows gets a major update every 6 months & automatic updates, you don't get that with the Server version.

My main reason for moving from it is the cost - the license is just too expensive and I don't want to run it unlicensed given how much of a staple my server has become in our house.

I'll miss running VMs everywhere in Hyper-V though.

I'm not really a network guy but the only time I had to use windows server was once as a test in college and it was the worst thing I'd ever experienced in that module. I might be biased though since I don't even stand windows for desktop gaming anymore either.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54,195 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Serephucus wrote: »

That's what I use myself

Everyone is using Proxmox these days and moving away from the likes of VMware etc

Depends where you look. The Enterprise market won't touch it. Until they can offer something as seemless as the likes of Dell's VxRail, no-one's going to bother with that much manual config. You have to remember, upfront investment is largely meaningless to a business above a certain size.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Thought I'd drop an update where I'm at with my new build as it's been some massive pain in the hole that has taken a turn recently. And feel I need to call out AMD and their efforts to address the issues.

So I was experiencing issues like thousnads of others where my PC would just black screen requiring a reset. AMD are very active on their Subreddit and released and alpha version of drivers to the subreddit which I took and all worked well. I thought things were done. Then once a day my PC was BSOD'ing. Through more reddit activity, sharing logs, back and forward with other posters and AMD community managers got discovered there was an issue with MSI Tomahawk MAX users, that the PC would cold boot into PCI x8, which would cause the crash. Upon rebooting, it would come onto PCI x16 as normal and be fine. Temporary workaround was booting up the PC, then restarting it.

Was being contacted directly by AMD Community staff who were gathering info from me, and then advised they were liaising with MSI staff. Long story short discovered MSI's own update platform had bugs, so loads of customers thought they were on the latest BIOS when they were not. Advised to go through a Bios flash via USB and coupled with the drivers from AMD, all my issues are resolved. Absolutely delighted.

But really impressed with how AMD reacted to what to be honest was a poor delivery on their end. At one point I had a product manager contacting me gathering info and logs and stuff and sending me directly alpha drivers to test and send logs back. Have to say was really impressed, for a company that size with that sort of product range, to go right to direct customers to work out issues. Very impressed.

You may remember I bought a lovely glass tempered side panel for my Fractal Design R4, that arrived first smashed and the wonderful Scan organised a replacement. Well went to install all the Corsair goodies I got, and lo and behold, I've a first gen R4 where they had no mounting options for 120MM fans or 280mm AIOs. When I saw I took the case apart and nearly got my dremel to it, I just gave up. I'm sitting here now with a rattling HDD cage from attempts to try make things fit, and just at the end of my tether.

Today's my birthday, so said **** this. Ordered a Corsair 275R and some more goodies, and just going to get everything up and running as a near personal "well done you" for perservering with all this. Two weeks ago had an Nvidia card in my Amazon card cause I was calling quits on this.

This has been without doubt the worst outcome of a build I've ever done, but thankfully looks like all resolved and I can get to just enjoying my **** rather then spending all my time trying to fix it :D

Sounds like an aboslute ballache, but fair play to a) You, for persevering through the whole thing, and b) to AMD, for apparently actually taking their ****-up seriously, and doing proper work to fix it.

Don't you just love when you have "valid" reasons to buy new hardware? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

I've had loads of issues with a 3600 and an MSI B450 board too, its all in the AMD Zen 3 thread. Wasn't aware of the AMD subreddit and MSI just washed their hands of it and told me to send the board back for a refund. New one has similar issues :rolleyes:

I must go look that subreddit up!

.G. wrote: »
    I've had loads of issues with a 3600 and an MSI B450 board too, its all in the AMD Zen 3 thread. Wasn't aware of the AMD subreddit and MSI just washed their hands of it and told me to send the board back for a refund. New one has similar issues :rolleyes:

I must go look that subreddit up!

I'd definitly make sure you flash to the newest bios through USB method. Was a piece of cake and really easy and ensures you have the new BIOS

Serephucus wrote: »
    Sounds like an aboslute ballache, but fair play to a) You, for persevering through the whole thing, and b) to AMD, for apparently actually taking their ****-up seriously, and doing proper work to fix it.

Don't you just love when you have "valid" reasons to buy new hardware? :D

haha yeah, every now and then I remember I'm not doing builds in my teens having to manage workarounds and tight budgets, that I'm fortunate enough to go "actually **** this, I'm just buying a new X"

Also a stark reminder why I don't build myself for years, that I'll happily pay over the odds for something delivered ready to go.

The rattle of the HDD cage is UNBELIVABLE at the moment haha.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

TheDoc wrote: »
    I'd definitly make sure you flash to the newest bios through USB method. Was a piece of cake and really easy and ensures you have the new BIOS

Have you got a link to your thread? I've found a couple of others that describe the similar troubles I had with ours, constant BSOD's but none with any solutions.

According the the support page for the Gaming Plus Max we already have the latest BIOS.

TheDoc wrote: »
    The rattle of the HDD cage is UNBELIVABLE at the moment haha.

The solution to at least 40% of all problems:

Mystery thing

• Advertisement

.G. wrote: »
    Have you got a link to your thread? I've found a couple of others that describe the similar troubles I had with ours, constant BSOD's but none with any solutions.

According the the support page for the Gaming Plus Max we already have the latest BIOS.

For me it was just

- Latest Adrenalin drivers
    - Last MSI BIOS drivers

Done.

Check if your PC is booting up in x8 or x16 PCI

I also disabled hardware acceleration in chrome and discord as that was a big problem

http://reddit.com/r/amd Loads of threads here, I was getting DM's most of the time from a post I made on the Tech support megathread

Advertisement