Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off-Topic Thread V3.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

Sound man I'll check it out. Do AMD have power plan settings locked out on windows 10 for you? We can't change our power plan, Its on balanced, can't change it to power saver or performance. have the latest chipset drivers installed.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

.G. wrote: »
    Sound man I'll check it out. Do AMD have power plan settings locked out on windows 10 for you? We can't change our power plan, Its on balanced, can't change it to power saver or performance. have the latest chipset drivers installed.

Oh yeah I remember that from troubleshooting in like December. I needed to get the latest AMD cpu drivers as it brought in a Ryzen specific balanced plan. So I'm rocking that I believe

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭Ultrflat

:(

I spilled coffee allover my keyboard i can type on it but some of the springs in my keyboard arnt working properly it still works I saw a video where some people used a solution of Isotropic alcohol and battery water for about 30 mins?

Any one got any suggestions how to refreshed the springs in it?

Keyboard is a: Corsair K65

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

Ultrflat wrote: »
    :(

I spilled coffee allover my keyboard i can type on it but some of the springs in my keyboard arnt working properly it still works I saw a video where some people used a solution of Isotropic alcohol and battery water for about 30 mins?

Any one got any suggestions how to refreshed the springs in it?

Keyboard is a: Corsair K65

similar happened me with Coke. I removed all the keycaps and cleaned it down with paper towel soaked in IPA. Used cotton earbuds soaked in IPA on the switches, wetting them up, and pressing them over and over until they ran freely. Washed the keycaps in the sink! All working grand after

• Registered Users Posts: 4,114 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

Isotropic alcohol
    Thats the term...
    If you get one of those, definitely worth to immerse your keyboard into...:D

• Advertisement

Lu Tze wrote: »
    similar happened me with Coke. I removed all the keycaps and cleaned it down with paper towel soaked in IPA. Used cotton earbuds soaked in IPA on the switches, wetting them up, and pressing them over and over until they ran freely. Washed the keycaps in the sink! All working grand after

Mind had coffee leaking so i tuck it appart works ok now just the switches are stick, might try that my dude cheers :):cool:

I assume you let the alcohol drip into the switches?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭jonski

Mind had coffee leaking so i tuck it appart works ok now just the switches are stick, might try that my dude cheers :):cool:

I assume you let the alcohol drip into the switches?

Good luck getting IPA over the next few weeks .

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

jonski wrote: »
    Good luck getting IPA over the next few weeks .

found a spray can version on amazon may got with that
    :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,209 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

I was about to order 1500 worth of parts for a full build. Emailed the website (uk based) and asked what I should do, no response.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭iLikeWaffles

MadYaker wrote: »
    I was about to order 1500 worth of parts for a full build. Emailed the website (uk based) and asked what I should do, no response.

If you're looking for opinions: long term planning is up in the air. For reasons of current events I'd probably hold off myself on that until the BS blows over. The wise thing to do here is hold off for 6 weeks or until more is known about current events which will take time. You never know the build money could be worth a lot more to you or someone close to you!

If you're looking for opinions: long term planning is up in the air. For reasons of current events I'd probably hold off myself on that until the BS blows over. The wise thing to do here is hold off for 6 weeks or until more is known about current events which will take time. You never know the build money could be worth a lot more to you or someone close to you!

I (sadly) agree with this.

Was going to treat myself to a new Topre-switch keyboard but alas, now I'm holding off.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,986 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Yeah, was going to blow 3k on a bbq but now I'm just going to leave. Can't see many bbq's happening this summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭iLikeWaffles

Yeah, was going to blow 3k on a bbq but now I'm just going to leave. Can't see many bbq's happening this summer.

3k is a lot of bogroll :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭Coyler

Isn't Comet Lake and Nvidia's RTX 3000 series set to launch next month? €1,500 could potentially go a lot further in April with that alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭z0oT

z0oT wrote: »
    Just spent the last two hours or so installing Ubuntu Server 19.10 on my server.

It's working quite well so far, but now I've got to begin the long task of migrating the 17TB+ of media. :D
    I've finally completed everything. Some random comments:

I deliberately didn't install a GUI. It's been a very interesting learning curve to set the whole system up over the command line. From partitioning/formatting drives, mounting them, installing all the applications, configuring the services and setting up the file shares.

I've been out of the Linux world for so long, I'd forgotten how much fun scripting can be. I've automated backups of everything set up now. The next thing I want to do is setup a script to look at the SMART data of all the hard drives once or twice a week and notify me if there's an issue.

Tinkering with my server is certainly something to keep me occupied while I'm confined to the house and working from home for the next few weeks. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Lads, not to sound like an asshole, but do you think we will see some drops in hardware prices due to obvious reasons.
    Some articles already reported hardware and laptop sale drops 30-50%. Then again, I would take them with a truck of salt.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

I'd say the opposite might happen prices might go up.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Lads, not to sound like an asshole, but do you think we will see some drops in hardware prices due to obvious reasons.
    Some articles already reported hardware and laptop sale drops 30-50%. Then again, I would take them with a truck of salt.

Loads of companies are buying laptops so their staff can work from home. One of my friends works in Currys and he says it's like Christmas there, the place is that busy (I was expecting him to tell me it was empty). People who are staying at home will probably splurge on things like TVs, games consoles, PC hardware etc because they're stuck in the house all day and want to spoil themselves a bit so I can't see any big price drops outside of what we would normally see due to new products getting released.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

I'd say the opposite might happen prices might go up.

That could happen, but it would be stupid. Right now no one is buying stuff, so increased price will make even less sales. AMD is already lowered price on CPUs, but retailers obviously did not react yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,039 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

TitianGerm wrote: »
    Was due to be delivered on Wednesday, got pushed to Friday and then Saturday but still no sign of it so got onto customer service.

They don't know where it is and have ordered a replacement for me. Could be up to 6 weeks before it arrives :(

And it's finally delivered after four and a half weeks from ordering :)

And now the missing one just arrived :pac:

no time like present to get stuck into Doom eternal :D

And now the missing one just arrived :pac:

What did i tell you. :pac:

What did i tell you. :pac:

You did in fairness :pac: no signature required but I'd feel bad keeping it so going to send it back and be honest.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Would I be mad to downgrade from 1440p 144hz monitor to 1080p 144hz monitor? I dont have the budget to upgrade to keep up with most demanding titles to reach high FPS. Would be 27 inch screen.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

Do you already have a 1440p 144hz screen?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Do you already have a 1440p 144hz screen?

Yes, he does.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

In that case just run the games @ a lower resolution. I've got a 1440p and I play almost everything @ 1080p for streaming. No need to change monitor and can still enjoy the screen real estate for other things or older games.

• Advertisement

Would I be mad to downgrade from 1440p 144hz monitor to 1080p 144hz monitor? I dont have the budget to upgrade to keep up with most demanding titles to reach high FPS. Would be 27 inch screen.

Don't do it.
    Better to lower your settings / downscale than use 27" 1080p.

Advertisement