Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off-Topic Thread V3.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,965 ✭✭✭mp3guy

Would I be mad to downgrade from 1440p 144hz monitor to 1080p 144hz monitor? I dont have the budget to upgrade to keep up with most demanding titles to reach high FPS. Would be 27 inch screen.

It'll look like garbage and you won't be happy.

mp3guy wrote: »
    It'll look like garbage and you won't be happy.

Yup. 1080p on a 1440p monitor looks terrible. With 4K it's fine as it's half the resolution.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Yup. 1080p on a 1440p monitor looks terrible. With 4K it's fine as it's half the resolution.

It looks like mp3guy is talking about the 1080p monitor rather than running a 1440p monitor at 1080p.

For the record, I have a 1440p monitor (only 60 Hz) and have to run Doom Eternal at 1080p because it won't let me run it any higher due to a lack of video memory. It looks grand, obviously not as good as it would at native resolution. I would still rather that than have a 27" 1080p monitor for every day use. I'd stick with the 1440p monitor and run at a lower resolution.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,039 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Has anyone had to return a founders RTX card to Nvidia?

I had a squeaky fan in my PC for ages and I've finally found out that it's coming from the fan closest to the power connector on the GPU.

Would this be something that's covered under warranty?

Any interest in a Discord channel for this forum? Might be a good idea in this time of self isolation, etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

TitianGerm wrote: »
    Has anyone had to return a founders RTX card to Nvidia?

I had a squeaky fan in my PC for ages and I've finally found out that it's coming from the fan closest to the power connector on the GPU.

Would this be something that's covered under warranty?
    I had the same problem, but decided to just replace the cooler with an Arctic Accelero instead.
    Now it's quieter and cooler.
    But this should be covered by EU or Irish law.

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    I had the same problem, but decided to just replace the cooler with an Arctic Accelero instead.
    Now it's quieter and cooler.

I don't think I'd chance changing the cooler myself. Might send them and email and see what they see.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,195 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

I see Half Life Alyx has gotten great reviews

What would be the best VR equipment for PC?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Anima

Valve Index is the best currently AFAIK

• Registered Users Posts: 8,798 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

Anima wrote: »
    Valve Index is the best currently AFAIK

Just checked, 8-10 weeks shipping time :pac:

• Advertisement

MiskyBoyy wrote: »
    Just checked, 8-10 weeks shipping time :pac:

And way more expensive. I think I'll be getting the Rift S.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭Homelander

OCUK currently have the Vive Cosmos at a good price, was considering it but few teething problems with it at the moment.

Rift S probably best value overall.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭deceit

Any interest in a Discord channel for this forum? Might be a good idea in this time of self isolation, etc.
    If anyone prefers Teamspeak, I have a Teamspeak server anyone can feel free to use. Its been up for years now so anyone can use it.
    Its: ts.gimmegaming.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭z0oT

I'm finally back to my preferred Linux distribution of choice from 10 years ago on my home server. I'm not really keen on Ubuntu 19.10, it had about 300 more packages installed by for the same setup. I would have had to upgrade it by July when support ends anyway.

I'd forgotten how trivial it is to re-install a Linux OS - just backup all the scripts and keep /home on a separate partition. Just under an hours work to set everything up again. If only Windows was as easy to do so.

506858.png

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

TitianGerm wrote: »
    And way more expensive. I think I'll be getting the Rift S.

Have a Rift S, is a very nice piece of Kit.

papu wrote: »
    Have a Rift S, is a very nice piece of Kit.

Yea seems to offer a good balance between features/quality and price.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭Homelander

Definitely the best value option for a new headset. Index is more for people who can afford the best, in the same way as people who have a 2080Ti, but you can get 80% of the experience for 40-50% of the cost.

If you are into 2nd hand, I see some Samsung Odyssey going for small money (€200 for original, 250-300 for the plus) and they are really excellent WMR headsets and work fine with Alyx.

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭minitrue

Odyssey+ is $230 in the states for a while now but of course that isn't an easy option for us :(

I'm overdue a new PC for ages and keep trying to decide if I can work out how to stretch to adding a HP Reverb and gpu worth running it on but I'm only interested for some sim racing and I think it's pushing my wallet too far, especially now in these "interesting times".

Outside of the likes of sim racing and flight sims I've picked up the impression the WMR stuff (and now Rift S and Cosmos and other inside-out trackers) are all a bit of a pain in the sense you have to keep the controllers in sight to track them?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

I run a ton of games @ 1080p and it's bleedin' fine. 720p gets quite jaggie but I can still tolerate it for most games.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

My old 27 inch 1440P monitor could run 1080P with black bars each side and top and bottom. So only the 1080P pixels were used you could also run it full screen but you could easily see the jagged image especially on a monitor as you sit quite close.

• Advertisement

My old 27 inch 1440P monitor could run 1080P with black bars each side and top and bottom. So only the 1080P pixels were used
    You could just as easily play it windowed in 720p.

I run a ton of games @ 1080p and it's bleedin' fine. 720p gets quite jaggie but I can still tolerate it for most games.

I don't understand why someone would get a 1440p monitor and run at a lower resolution. Either just get a 1080p monitor or buy a better GPU.

I don't understand why someone would get a 1440p monitor and run at a lower resolution. Either just get a 1080p monitor or buy a better GPU.
    For non-gaming reasons. Bigger screen real-estate for work, higher def graphics for detail and precision. UHD videos. Or like you said, they can use it fully later with a GPU upgrade or new PC.

As for me I can actually run 90% of things @ 1440p but not while streaming with OBS. OBS just eats too much resources so the stream FPS becomes terrible if a game is @ 1440p. 1080p will allow 60FPS on stream and 60FPS+ in-game. If I had a secondary PC this wouldn't be an issue using a capture device. Still, I wouldn't want to go back to 1080p desktop experience, though. I enjoy the tab space, text space/detail in terminal and all the other benefits too much.

Maybe I should just build a stream-only mini PC and get a capture device but it seems like the wrong time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭Ultrflat

For non-gaming reasons. Bigger screen real-estate for work, higher def graphics for detail and precision. UHD videos. Or like you said, they can use it fully later with a GPU upgrade or new PC.

As for me I can actually run 90% of things @ 1440p but not while streaming with OBS. OBS just eats too much resources so the stream FPS becomes terrible if a game is @ 1440p. 1080p will allow 60FPS on stream and 60FPS+ in-game. If I had a secondary PC this wouldn't be an issue using a capture device. Still, I wouldn't want to go back to 1080p desktop experience, though. I enjoy the tab space, text space/detail in terminal and all the other benefits too much.

Maybe I should just build a stream-only mini PC and get a capture device but it seems like the wrong time.

NVENC enoder at 7500 KBPS max qaulity at 900p @60FPS is more than enough to stream and most people will say you've got amazing quality...

Ultrflat wrote: »
    NVENC enoder at 7500 KBPS max qaulity at 900p @60FPS is more than enough to stream and most people will say you've got amazing quality...
    Oh I stream 720p 60FPS. I think you misunderstood. The in-game resolution tanks OBS FPS, even if the actual stream is only 720p. I'm stuck @ 1080p local resolution and 720p stream resolution if I wish to have good FPS on both.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭Ultrflat

Oh I stream 720p 6FPS. I think you misunderstood. The in-game resolution tanks OBS FPS, even if the actual stream is only 720p. I'm stuck @ 1080p local resolution and 720p stream resolution if I wish to have good FPS on both.

Yes but if your using x264 you will get crappy fps if you stream using nvenc you will not, because all the works been done by a section of your gpu.

Ultrflat wrote: »
    Yes but if your using x264 you will get crappy fps if you stream using nvenc you will not, because all the works been done by a section of your gpu.
    I'm using FFMPEG VAAPI on AMD card. At my described resolution settings I get 60FPS in most games internally and on stream. With VAAPI or x264 OBS will still lose way too much FPS @ 1440p local res.

Thanks for the advice but I have tried a lot of combinations and just come to accept that my machine is only capable of 1080p game while 720p stream. For the rare times I'm gaming off stream I do bump it to 1440p and it's quite nice :)

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭AAAAAAAAA

Hello everyone, its not really a big enough question to start a thread over but what's the people's choice for a GPU around the €350 mark? Will be replacing a 970, have a 1440p 144hz monitor to push pixels into

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

AAAAAAAAA wrote: »
    Hello everyone, its not really a big enough question to start a thread over but what's the people's choice for a GPU around the €350 mark? Will be replacing a 970, have a 1440p 144hz monitor to push pixels into

5700 XT.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

OSI wrote: »
    Just make sure you've read EVERYTHING there is to be read about them.

As in? Could you just broad strikes on topic m8?

On topic of monitors and resolutions. I finally decided to hook up the laptop I got in November ( 9750h + 2060 ) to my 3440x1440 monitor in nerd cave. And God did it showed how outdated my pc is for that monitor.
    So interesting thing. My PC downstairs is 2500k at 4.4ghz with 8gb ram and 1060. When I out laptop in performance mode it really massive difference. Specially in Escape from Tarkov. Interesting thing is that when I put laptop power consumption to 99% ( which is essentially no turbo boost and sits at 2.5ghz ), it's still performs better then my PC.

Definitely due for upgrade. Just not sure it's the right time, outside of obvious situation, the new CPUs and GPUs due at the end of the year, might be even longer?

Advertisement