Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off-Topic Thread V3.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,094 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Hey folks, just received my 2080. The weight in these cards!

Would it be best to go with a support bracket? I'm worried about putting that much weight and having the card sag over time.

Or is it enough to support it using the IO plate screwed to case and sitting in the pci slot?

Support brackets don't seem to be too expensive, £15 - £18 etc.

Build a little support leg out of Lego?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Hey folks, just received my 2080. The weight in these cards!

Would it be best to go with a support bracket? I'm worried about putting that much weight and having the card sag over time.

Or is it enough to support it using the IO plate screwed to case and sitting in the pci slot?

Support brackets don't seem to be too expensive, £15 - £18 etc.

https://www.gamersnexus.net/guides/3424-gpu-sag-test-thermals-frequency-benchmark

• Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭EoinHef

F****n gigabyte,worst BIOS ive ever had the bad luck to have to setup.

Ive a sneaky feeling all the fan headers advertised as PWM are not actually PWM. Feature like using GPU temps to govern fan speeds just flat out wont work.

And to top it all off the settings in the bios are not taking and can reset to previous settings on reboot:(

• Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭twinsen

I was really hoping new amd will shake the market a bit. But Jesus, its shocking that it took them 2 years to reach 1080ti speeds, and they want more for it than 1080ti at launch price. Not to mention power usage and 3000rpm fans.

Finally they managed to get in real fight against Intel, but are just rekt by nVidia

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

I don't think people realize how little money AMD make. Even now with Ryzen they little make very little compared to Nvidia and Intel. Yes they competed with both those companies back in the day but they both used shady business practices over the years to gain market share and once they did there was no stopping either company.

I myself was drawn in by both companies names years ago and wouldn't buy AMD but not any more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,673 ✭✭✭Inviere

I don't think people realize how little money AMD make.

I'd love to go full AMD on my next build. I don't think I'll be going with team red for the gpu though. Vega VII seems a fine card, but there's just no reason to choose it over a 2080. Value wise, with the price points the same, the RTX cards just offer a better featureset. Vega VII really needed to nicely undercut its RTX equivalent to give it en edge, and while I know they make a lot less money than Nvidia do, the current pricing strategy isn't going to change that.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

My friend is building his first gaming PC with me tomorrow. Super excited for him, and the Steam sales are on!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭will56

twinsen wrote: »
    I was really hoping new amd will shake the market a bit. But Jesus, its shocking that it took them 2 years to reach 1080ti speeds, and they want more for it than 1080ti at launch price. Not to mention power usage and 3000rpm fans.

Finally they managed to get in real fight against Intel, but are just rekt by nVidia

Can see the frustration from a lot of the reviewers as well, everyone wanted this card to offer a real alternative to the Nvidia's higher end but its just not there.

Have to hope now that Navi offers real competitiveness in the mid range market.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭Xenoronin

It is frustrating, but it isn't a surprise. There is only so much gain you can have from moving to 7nm. Vega was already underwhelming before that. Can anyone explain the 16gb of HBM2 btw? I can't understand why they would have more than 8gb in this card. How can you justify the expense?

Xenoronin wrote: »
    It is frustrating, but it isn't a surprise. There is only so much gain you can have from moving to 7nm. Vega was already underwhelming before that. Can anyone explain the 16gb of HBM2 btw? I can't understand why they would have more than 8gb in this card. How can you justify the expense?

https://youtu.be/zx9rKmsxk00

Bout 4 minutes in theres about as good an explanation as ive heard.

Tl;DR
    HBM GPU's may not be able to be manufactured without all the HBM slots filled. So maybe if they put 2gb modules in that would have meant a max of 8gb so they went with 4gb modules giving them 16gb.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,994 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Inviere wrote: »
    I'd love to go full AMD on my next build. I don't think I'll be going with team red for the gpu though. Vega VII seems a fine card, but there's just no reason to choose it over a 2080. Value wise, with the price points the same, the RTX cards just offer a better featureset. Vega VII really needed to nicely undercut its RTX equivalent to give it en edge, and while I know they make a lot less money than Nvidia do, the current pricing strategy isn't going to change that.

If it sells at RRP, its about 6% slower at a cheaper price then the 1080. I couldn't give a ****e about RTX, so it doesn't come into it as a factor to me. So its not like its not competitive card in this price gouging market.

At the moment, its going to sell like hotcakes to Universities for its FP64 performance combined with larger and faster RAM at a fraction of the cost of the pro cards. Its 50% of the performance of a Titan V at 25% of the cost. Once that market drys up, I expect AMD to come close to break even just to try keep some market share, which is why this card was even released.

Its only because the 2080 and 2080ti offered so little value for money, that this product could even be released.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

Xenoronin wrote: »

I don't think it's meant to be a gaming card. In fact AMD said several times pre launch that it wasn't a gaming card. It's for developers and designers who want the gpu memory for projects that want/need all that memory that maybe also do some gaming.

If it sells at RRP, its about 6% slower at a cheaper price then the 1080. I couldn't give a ****e about RTX, so it doesn't come into it as a factor to me. So its not like its not competitive card in this price gouging market.

At the moment, its going to sell like hotcakes to Universities for its FP64 performance combined with larger and faster RAM at a fraction of the cost of the pro cards. Its 50% of the performance of a Titan V at 25% of the cost. Once that market drys up, I expect AMD to come close to break even just to try keep some market share, which is why this card was even released.

Its only because the 2080 and 2080ti offered so little value for money, that this product could even be released.

It won't be selling like hot cakes as they have made very few of them and are supposedly making a loss on them. It's a paper launch just to have something to compare to Nvidias high end until Navi comes along.

BloodBath wrote: »
    It won't be selling like hot cakes as they have made very few of them and are supposedly making a loss on them. It's a paper launch just to have something to compare to Nvidias high end until Navi comes along.

The are lots of scientists and Universities that will be purchasing them for their FP64 performance for the small numbers of stock they have.

And to be clear on this, at RRP it's competitive with Nvidias 2nd best consumer offering right now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

We can say that it's broadly 10% slower or whatever but that doesn't tell a proper story (from a gaming POV), as in some titles it's extremely close while others it's significantly behind, and as always, at the cost of using more power and generating more heat. There is a major lack of consistency head-to-head with the 2080/1080ti.

The cheapest VIII is £649, there are 2080's for £639 now. As a gaming card it doesn't really make any case for itself. RTX has more grunt, uses less power, has RTX novelty, and far more consistent, reliable performance across the board.

Obviously for other non-gaming tasks it has significant benefits, and I understand that it was never built with the intent of seizing any gaming performance crown....But I think some people were expecting more, though arguably it wasn't that realistic an expectation.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

Some of the newer titles performing better on the Vega tells a lot. The main problem seems to be poor optimisation for AMD hardware from developers. Surprising considering most of the consoles use AMD hardware. It mainly older titles and engines, DX11 stuff that Nvidia jumps ahead on. In DX12 and Vulkan they seem to be right up there with Nvidia and even ahead in some cases compared to the 2080.

I don't think the power consumption figures are bad considering it has 16gb of super fast hbm2. Comparing a 16gb cards power consumption to an 8gb card makes no sense. That stuff is pretty power hungry. I hope they sort things out for Navi though. Vega didn't quite do it.

And to be clear on this, at RRP it's competitive with Nvidias 2nd best consumer offering right now.

Really though? As a gaming card, it’s generally at a similar price point less powerful, noisier, and has fewer features than a 2080. I want to go team red, but I just don’t see how it offers competitive value over a 2080.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Y'all forgetting the real draw - FreeSync will 100% work on your FreeSync monitor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

Really though? As a gaming card, it’s generally at a similar price point less powerful, noisier, and has fewer features than a 2080. I want to go team red, but I just don’t see how it offers competitive value over a 2080.

Look everyone was waiting for a 7nm miracle, and its was obvious that 7nm was not the solution. Now like brexit when we have to live in reality rather than an angry fantasy, people might get real.

I think it is a decent card tbh. My 290 was good so was my Fury X and now my Vega 56 is good also. I could not care less about power draw tbh and have no idea why people get so worked up about it.

Its over priced right now, probably will be for a while because of low volume and a niche set of customers.

If it sold around RRP, it would be 10% less then the 2080 for 5-6% less performance and yes I am aware there are swings in performance. Its pretty likely that in the next year with driver updates and dx12 games added to performance tests, it will close that gap.

People who say it has less features should probably take a look at all those RTX games in use 6 months later. By the time dedicated cores become a thing, the 1st gen RTX cards will be on scrap heaps.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

It's really the fact that for the same price, Nvidia offers ray tracing, whether you want it or not, as well as more consistent performance and lower power draw. Whether those things matter to you on an individual basis is kinda irrelevant, it's just a factual thing, and the core performance is still superior.

The Vega is also more expensive than the cheapest RTX at this point in most retailers even at RRP, which is £649; OCUK has RTX2080's for £639.

I mean there is a certain irony in saying that RTX will amount to nothing in this generation, but then saying that 'its pretty likely' that Vega performance will improve, when we really don't know how well, or quickly, that will happen. (even though I agree on RTX, the point being that it's not great to have to lean on ifs, buts, and maybes when talking about a £649 card)

All we know is that right now at this moment, even putting ray tracing and other superior attributes aside, the 2080 offers more consistent performance across the board at the same price.

Now, in favor of Vega 7, the huge advantage it has over the 2080 is the 16GB memory. It wouldn't be unreasonable to think that anyone purchasing either card in 2019 would intend keeping it for a few years, and games already can use well above 8GB vram at high/ultra settings on occassion right now.

It's why I think the RTX2060 is an utter joke of a card at it's price point with just 6GB vram and I'd still prefer the 1070Ti or even 1070 over it.

Its over priced right now, probably will be for a while because of low volume and a niche set of customers.

If it sold around RRP, it would be 10% less then the 2080 for 5-6% less performance and yes I am aware there are swings in performance. Its pretty likely that in the next year with driver updates and dx12 games added to performance tests, it will close that gap.

People who say it has less features should probably take a look at all those RTX games in use 6 months later. By the time dedicated cores become a thing, the 1st gen RTX cards will be on scrap heaps.

I still feel I’d suck up that 10% (€60/€70) and buy a 2080, over a Vega VII, not because I’m a rabid Nvidia fan, or because I’ve swallowed the ray tracing pitch hook line and sinker...but because for that 10%, I’d be getting far more of a known quantity, and a slightly more powerful, quieter, and less power intensive card.

I’m completely sold on Ryzen, and I want to be sold on Vega VII, but I think the VII needed to be priced where the 2070 is at, but offering 2080 performance...that probably would have sold me on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 JokerPower

Hi guys

This may be lame, but where do you buy pc components in Dublin?

Any suggestions on cheap online shops?

I've been ordering from Elara, but wondering if there is better options..

Thanks

• Administrators Posts: 53,833 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

JokerPower wrote: »
    Hi guys

This may be lame, but where do you buy pc components in Dublin?

Any suggestions on cheap online shops?

I've been ordering from Elara, but wondering if there is better options..

Thanks
    Komplett is the only irish site I bother with. Used to be a lot better but still pretty good. The only real annoyance is sometimes they can take a few days to dispatch an order, but I guess Amazon have spoiled us a bit with their speed.

The rest are either over priced or have stupid (or expensive) shipping.

Other than that:

Scan.co.uk is good
    Overclockers is good
    Amazon obviously

Komplett is not even a Irish company and AFAIK they used to have a Irish location but have since moved to another country.

• Administrators Posts: 53,833 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Komplett is not even a Irish company and AFAIK they used to have a Irish location but have since moved to another country.
    Yea I was going to say they ship from mainland europe but wasn't sure if that's the case for everything. Certainly any time I've ordered from them it has come from outside Ireland.

They definitely used to have an irish location cause you used to be able to go collect stuff from their warehouse.

Have to say,not impressed with the NZXT H500 case. If your not gonna use negative pressure in the case GPU thermals are awful.

Givin ive a H100i to fit in theres no way to avoid pulling air from the front,which seems to totally mess up the design the case has for airflow. I didnt think it would be as bad as it is though.

After changing around the flow and using different fans etc ive pretty much run out of options. Last thing i might try is re apply TIM to the the gpu but givin the temps im getting it will probably only be a marginal improvement. Considering it just in case the gpu cooler had some sort of movement when tarnsferring it but im pretty sure its solid.

Probably be a near new H500 on adverts next week:P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭farna_boy

The upgrade itch is back at me again.

I am currently running an i5 6500 with 8GB 2666MHz RAM and a Vega 64 and I'm trying to figure out what to upgrade next.

Would an i7 6700k or i7 7700k be worth upgrading to?

Looking at reviews, there doesn't seem to be a whole lot between them but I guess newer would be (slightly) better?

Or would more RAM have a more significant effect?

Any suggestions?

awec wrote: »
    Komplett is the only irish site I bother with. Used to be a lot better but still pretty good. The only real annoyance is sometimes they can take a few days to dispatch an order, but I guess Amazon have spoiled us a bit with their speed.

The rest are either over priced or have stupid (or expensive) shipping.

Other than that:

Scan.co.uk is good
    Overclockers is good
    Amazon obviously

Thanks for answer. So there is no good local shops? Komplett is from UK if that's correct

• Advertisement

farna_boy wrote: »
    The upgrade itch is back at me again.

I am currently running an i5 6500 with 8GB 2666MHz RAM and a Vega 64 and I'm trying to figure out what to upgrade next.

Would an i7 6700k or i7 7700k be worth upgrading to?

Looking at reviews, there doesn't seem to be a whole lot between them but I guess newer would be (slightly) better?

Or would more RAM have a more significant effect?

Any suggestions?

I have upgraded from 7600K to 7700K for gaming and basic stuff. What can I say? It's worth it. Your framerate will be more stable, and you can run more tasks simultaneously. I'm not saying that 6600k/7600K are not good. It depends on game/application.

Sell your 6600K and get 7700K with additional 8 GB RAM. This processor will last you much longer than 6600K, and you don't have to buy new MOBO etc.

Advertisement