Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off-Topic Thread V3.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭iLikeWaffles

Open Office also is decent enough.

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    Guess which unlucky SOB just had a hard object fall from a shelf, bounce off the floor & destroy his monitor?

FVCK

Wow, that sucks big time!

Wow, that sucks big time!

Hope it wasn't really a rage quit. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,875 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Any recommendations for desktop speakers (active rather than passive)? They're for general PC use (YouTube, music while working etc), so they don't need to be high end, but I'd still prefer a step up from the usual suspects i.e. Creative/Logitech etc. Already have a good set of headphones for serious use.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,038 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Mr Crispy wrote: »
    Any recommendations for desktop speakers (active rather than passive)? They're for general PC use (YouTube, music while working etc), so they don't need to be high end, but I'd still prefer a step up from the usual suspects i.e. Creative/Logitech etc. Already have a good set of headphones for serious use.

I got a Denon Coel Carino from RicherSounds here on boards for £50 during one of their open box sales. They're brilliant for the price.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,986 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Usual usrbenchmark stuff[/url]

I can see most online communities are turning hard on them, I guess being subtle about your bias is too hard for the owners.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭SickBoy

I've been using a set of Creative T40 for a long time which are great for stereo speakers but recently switched to Creative Pebble v2 to save some desk space.
    There's a noticable difference of course but they're still better than most.

TitianGerm wrote: »
    I got a Denon Coel Carino from RicherSounds here on boards for £50 during one of their open box sales. They're brilliant for the price.
    Bargain! Looks like they're EOL though.
    SickBoy wrote: »
    I've been using a set of Creative T40 for a long time which are great for stereo speakers but recently switched to Creative Pebble v2 to save some desk space.
    There's a noticable difference of course but they're still better than most.
    Used T20s for years and thought them okay at best. I had a chance to listen to some Ruarks recently, and they were excellent. Too expensive for my current budget, but I was hoping to find some middle ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Got a used set of Bose Companion series 2, they're good enough to fill a room with sound.

Edifier make a boat load of decent PC speakers too.

Got a used set of Bose Companion series 2, they're good enough to fill a room with sound.

Edifier make a boat load of decent PC speakers too.

Cheers. Edifiers look like a good bet.

• Advertisement

Hope it wasn't really a rage quit. :pac:

The mouse bungee is suspiciously similar in space/angle :pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,553 ✭✭✭savemejebus

Mackie CR4s are a great choice for desktop speakers

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭banquet

So I've come up with a build https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/jQ8RRk

CPU - AMD Ryzen 5 2600 3.4 GHz 6-Core Processor
    Motherboard - MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX ATX AM4 Motherboard
    RAM - Patriot Viper 4 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory
    Storage - Intel 660p Series 1.02 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive & Seagate Barracuda Compute 2 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
    GPU - MSI GeForce GTX 1660 SUPER 6 GB AERO ITX OC Video Card
    Case - MSI MAG FORGE 100R ATX Mid Tower Case
    PSU - Corsair TXM Gold 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply

Previously I had a cheaper Gigabyte motherboard in the set up but decided to swap it out upon reading comments here about the Tomahawk. However, since doing this I'm getting the following compatability message "Note:The motherboard M.2 slot #1 shares bandwidth with SATA 6.0 Gb/s ports. When the M.2 slot is populated, two SATA 6.0 Gb/s ports are disabled."

It appears to be the NVME and motherboard combo which is causing it as when I had the Gigabyte motherboard in there earlier I wasn't getting any notification.

Can anyone tell me if this is actually an issue and I should change anything here? All feedback appreciated on this issue or anything else in the build.

banquet wrote: »

Storage - Intel 660p Series 1.02 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive & Seagate Barracuda Compute 2 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive

Previously I had a cheaper Gigabyte motherboard in the set up but decided to swap it out upon reading comments here about the Tomahawk. However, since doing this I'm getting the following compatability message "Note:The motherboard M.2 slot #1 shares bandwidth with SATA 6.0 Gb/s ports. When the M.2 slot is populated, two SATA 6.0 Gb/s ports are disabled."

It appears to be the NVME and motherboard combo which is causing it as when I had the Gigabyte motherboard in there earlier I wasn't getting any notification.

Can anyone tell me if this is actually an issue and I should change anything here? All feedback appreciated on this issue or anything else in the build.

It appears to have 6 SATA slots so it doesn't seem to be an issue!? Just slot the HDD into the 3rd slot (SATA2)

There's a new Tomahawk X570 coming out that supposed to be very good for it's price range.

banquet wrote: »

Wouldn't worry about that tbh.

I've an MSI B450 Carbon Pro AC.
    2x M.2 slots populated, GPU in PCIe x16, 4x SATA.

Alternatively: buy the MSI X470 GAMING PLUS MAX for same price: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/product/CXvqqs/msi-x470-gaming-plus-max-atx-am4-motherboard-x470-gaming-plus-max

Has anyone here ever built their own keyboard?

I found r/mechanicalkeyboards and r/MechGroupBuys and r/mechmarket over on Reddit and there's some great looking stuff available.

I was planning on an upgrade myself but was looking at a Ducky 65%. Now after going down the rabbit hole I'm considering all options but want to stick with ISO.

So basically I put together a keyboard on WASD which is a customised Vort3x (picture attached). It looks great but after shipping from the US it's $250. So about €230 here if there's no customs etc, if there is then it's over €300 and over budget.

Then I ended up on KDB Fans and there's a TOFU65 that I really like which is a similar price to the WASD board but a much nicer case. No keycaps though so more expensive in the long run. There's also a TOFU60 that's a bit cheaper but not by much.

So then to a cheaper option in the Keychron K2. It's $90 not including the shipping. Looks good but has the function keys so one row taller than the other options I was looking at. It's a plastic case with a aluminum frame I think so I assume a less premium feel.

Has anyone gone down this road before?

r/mkb is a sickness :pac:

FYI you can get Ducky One2 SF/mini/Miya Pro with ISO layout: https://www.novatech.co.uk/products/peripherals/keyboardsandmice/mechanicalgamingkeyboards/ducky/

Anecdotally, I bought a Magicforce Smart 2 68.
    Was wondering where it was after a week.
    Gutted when I realised I'd clicked "EU Priority Line" (regular) instead of Expedited after checkout :(

r/mkb is a sickness :pac:

FYI you can get Ducky One2 SF/mini/Miya Pro with ISO layout: https://www.novatech.co.uk/products/peripherals/keyboardsandmice/mechanicalgamingkeyboards/ducky/

Anecdotally, I bought a Magicforce Smart 2 68.
    Was wondering where it was after a week.
    Gutted when I realised I'd clicked "EU Priority Line" (regular) instead of Expedited after checkout :(

If I buy the Ducky Mini I can get a TOFU case to change it into down the line. I just haven't been out spending money in the last few weeks so I've a bit saves to get something really good now that I'll have for years :pac:

I saw those keyboards on Ali and Banggood but I think I'd find it hard to to use with the small return key.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,195 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Dust magnet. My own computer is getting a bit dusty and it's not open like that one, it's not bad but there is a light dusting.

Ugh. I can see why some people call them ThermalTack.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭Homelander

No-one will ever take this tacky meme crown....

Kolink BIG CHUNGUS

I'm sure you've heard of the new RTX Voice tech from Nvidia? Basically, it leverages the tensor cores on your RTX GPU to reduce background noise from voice chats, video conferences etc, via AI. Irrespective of everything else (cost to FPS/performance, cost to your wallet), this is pretty impressive!

https://twitter.com/theGunrun/status/1252789873699745792?s=20

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

I'd read the headlines, but that's the first demo of it I've heard. Didn't expect it to be that impressive.

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭z0oT

Don't know if anyone has tried out Ubuntu 20.04? It was released today.

I don't really have any intention of installing it but it's been over 10 years since I last used it - 9.10 was the last release I used. I'm playing around with it in a VM at the minute just for curiosity.

I remember now how annoying it is the way they disable the root account in it (I used to get sick of typing sudo all of the time) but the same trick to re-enable it still works.

I've also never used Gnome 3 up until today. I can see why some don't like it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,986 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

z0oT wrote: »
    I remember now how annoying it is the way they disable the root account in it (I used to get sick of typing sudo all of the time) but the same trick to re-enable it still works.

"sudo !!" repeats last command with sudo preceding it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭amadablam

Can't test it yet as need case and cooler.

I know its not everyone's cup of tea but I wanted this card for months and was out of stock everywhere

8sm7KwF.jpg

0E67jv6.jpg

Almost ready for my build, just waiting on the case to be released but I'm getting impatient.

Say a prayer to the pc building gods that everything is ok as it cost a lot for a first build.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭z0oT

Well wear with the 5700 XT! I have the Sapphire Pulse variant and it's been an extremely solid 1440p card in my experience.
    "sudo !!" repeats last command with sudo preceding it.
    I know that. I'm more referring to the case where you're doing a lot of commands as root.

Let's say partitioning hard drives, configuring /etc/fstab, and setting up all the services. It gets very tedious typing "sudo" before everything.

Other than some niggles, Ubuntu 20.04 seems to work quite well to be fair. It's come a long way from the buggy mess that was 9.10. I can't warm to Gnome 3 though.

Advertisement