Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off-Topic Thread V3.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

What case you waiting on amadablam?

I wish AMD would hurry up with the next Ryzen. I want to do a new build but have to see what that offers first. PC tech, always something better around the corner!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

.G. wrote: »

I wish AMD would hurry up with the next Ryzen. I want to do a new build but have to see what that offers first. PC tech, always something better around the corner!

Covid 19 may cause you to wait till winter later in the year. Mid Autumn if you are lucky.

Yeah I'm expecting that. Think I read September somewhere but its all guessing. My troubles with my sons PC have me second guessing Ryzen too but he's just been unlucky I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭amadablam

z0oT wrote: »
    Well wear with the 5700 XT! I have the Sapphire Pulse variant and it's been an extremely solid 1440p card in my experience.

Thanks very much! It seems to be one of the better cards out there at the moment for what I want.

Now I've to find a nice 1440p 144hz Freesync 2 monitor to get the best out of it. Im really enjoying the fun of finding the right parts.
    .G. wrote: »
    !

I was waiting for the Bequiet Pure base 500 DX which was delayed (again) until the end of the month but I might get the Phanteks P600s if there are more delays.

Looked at meshify s2 and lian li lancool 2 but I think it's going to be one of the first two.

This build is spiralling but I don't mind as can't do much else.

This it.Whatever money we have we can't spend it on holidays or entertainment or whatever so may as well buy tech :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭will56

Working from home has me reassessing my desk space and thinking of upgarding it.

I really like the look of the Ikea counter mounted on the alex drawers
    However to fit my space it need a custom length of counter top.

Does anyone have any advice on where to source pre-cut solid counter tops ? Delivered would be great.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

You can get custom length countertops from Ikea. Their thick veneer ones can be anywhere from around 150cm to 400cm I think.
    As to how you'd actually get one though, I've no idea. They won't deliver heavy items like that online, and their store is still closed AFAIK.

You'll have the same problem with any of the hardware places for the next while I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭will56

Serephucus wrote: »
    You can get custom length countertops from Ikea. Their thick veneer ones can be anywhere from around 150cm to 400cm I think.
    As to how you'd actually get one though, I've no idea. They won't deliver heavy items like that online, and their store is still closed AFAIK.

You'll have the same problem with any of the hardware places for the next while I think.

In no real rush to get it so just shopping round at the moment.
    Hadn't realised Ikea do custom lengths, might just hold tight and get the whole lot there

• Registered Users Posts: 28,038 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

will56 wrote: »
    Working from home has me reassessing my desk space and thinking of upgarding it.

I really like the look of the Ikea counter mounted on the alex drawers
    However to fit my space it need a custom length of counter top.

Does anyone have any advice on where to source pre-cut solid counter tops ? Delivered would be great.

If you look at my old posts in the Build Thread I've an Alex unit holding up an EKbacken countertop. The worktop can be cut and comes with laminate to glue to the end you cut to give it a nice finish.

Circular saw and you'd cut it in two minutes using a fine blade and then a quick sanding and your ready to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,114 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

Check local hardware shops - some re-opened, at least two in my area

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,875 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

I'd also double check that standard counter tops are deep enough for your needs. A mate got one from Ikea a while back and the 63.5 cm is too shallow for using with a large monitor, or even for just having a bit of extra work space. I know lots of places (including Ikea) will do deeper, but the standard size seems to be 60-65. That may be perfect for ya, but just an FYI.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,986 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Mr Crispy wrote: »
    I'd also double check that standard counter tops are deep enough for your needs. A mate got one from Ikea a while back and the 63.5 cm is too shallow for using with a large monitor, or even for just having a bit of extra work space. I know lots of places (including Ikea) will do deeper, but the standard size seems to be 60-65. That may be perfect for ya, but just an FYI.

A couple of them are deeper, but if you wall mount screens you find that its not that much of a issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭Tij da feen

I know this won't do as you need to cut yours but I'm using one of the Linnmon table tops (150cmx75cm). Depth is perfect for me with monitors on their own stands. I have the table top wall mounted with a couple of brackets and a single leg at the corner that's not attached to the wall.

The width it sufficient for me to have my work setup (mouse/keyboard/dock/laptop/monitor) on one side for work and my separate gaming set-up on the other (with tower on the ground).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭Shlippery

Quick one- Have a G502 for 2 years, LEDS stopped working , so Amazon taking it back and giving a refund (sound.)

Any of ye attached to any mice in particular? Seems I can get the newer version HERO. Any other wild suggestions out there? Kinda like the G502 as it was but could be swayed!

I'm using a G703 Lightspeed at the moment, and I quite like it. Not fully committed to it yet though as I haven't had it long.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Shlippery wrote: »
    Quick one- Have a G502 for 2 years, LEDS stopped working , so Amazon taking it back and giving a refund (sound.)

Any of ye attached to any mice in particular? Seems I can get the newer version HERO. Any other wild suggestions out there? Kinda like the G502 as it was but could be swayed!

The G502 is probably the best all-purpose mouse other than G903 - I was skeptical at first but now I can't work without it!

But best option is to check RJN's site: https://www.rocketjumpninja.com/mouse-search

You can then compare shapes/sizes here.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭iLikeWaffles

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭KillerShamrock

I ordered a few bits from Scan on the 22nd of April, all items at the time of purchase where in stock when I ordered and paid for them, and was given a delivery timeframe of the 28th April till the 4th of May.

I'm fine with that timeframe, pandemic, they are busy and all the rest, but the fact its the 28th my order is still "awaiting picking" 2 of the 4 items are down as over due or out of stock since before i placed the order ie have retroactivaly changed status since I ordered. :confused:

Im all up for waiting till Monday until I get on to Scan but something tells me ill be waiting for nothing at this point. :(

They are 2 parts that have "in stock" alternatives so if they actually are out of stock id like to be told so i can change at least and not wait till the 20th of May or later to get them...

Just a rant cause naturally I want my new shiny stuff asap and well its not here now is it :p

Have you emailed their customer service?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭KillerShamrock

Have you emailed their customer service?

Well im going to give them the benifit of the doubt till maybe tomorrow if no change ill ask cause i have no problem changing I just want to be told the stuff is there for my order or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

The web(mostly) looks horrible at 1440p. FB fills about 15% of the screen :|

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭Tij da feen

ED E wrote: »

If you're not doing any DPI scaling then you have to get used to not full-screening your web browser for it to look normal. I'm using a 4k monitor for work and a browser window is typically occupying about a quarter of my screen.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,986 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

OSI wrote: »
    It's quite funny the different work patterns between platforms. I find in MacOS I rarely if ever full screen apps so scaling never comes across as an issue, however in Windows most things would be fullscreened, and yeah a lot of things look crap on anything that's not 1080P and 16:9

OSX straight up as the best native DPI scaling of any OS out there, period.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

ED E wrote: »

YouTube is another that I found odd when I was at 1440p but that about 2 years ago. Now I use my 1080p monitor mostly for general use and the odd old game and a 4k TV for gaming.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

OSX straight up as the best native DPI scaling of any OS out there, period.

MS have never managed to get scaling right so I nearly always leave it off. Better to drop the res on 4K.
    YouTube is another that I found odd when I was at 1440p but that about 2 years ago. Now I use my 1080p monitor mostly for general use and the odd old game and a 4k TV for gaming.

YouTube is comical.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭Xenoronin

YouTube looks fine to me at 1440p. Facebook does look somewhat dumb but meh, I barely scroll the feed anymore so I'm mostly using the chats along the bottom of the screen or going into the slightly more responsive (i mean this in the web-sizing jargon way) messenger layout. I don't know many websites that look all that bad at 1440p honestly, it's not enough of a leap from 1080p to really screw things up, outside the initial shock after first switching. It probably is a lot worse at 4k. I imagine boards.ie in old layout with 4k would look comical at default zoom and dpi scaling.

I have noticed that MS is slowly improving the dynamic scaling at least. It almost gets back to normal when moving between 1080 and 1440p on most applications now. A far cry from even a year or two ago when everything would be comically distorted during laptop docking and undocking from external monitors.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭antimatterx

Would this monitor be any good? I'm literally just going to use it for coding/having other websites open.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07JP9QJ15/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_2?smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&psc=1

I'm using a 13" MBP and with office workers being told to WFH until August 10th, I need some more screen real estate.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭antimatterx

Would this monitor be any good? I'm literally just going to use it for coding/having other websites open.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07JP9QJ15/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_2?smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&psc=1

I'm using a 13" MBP and with office workers being told to WFH until August 10th, I need some more screen real estate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Someone correct me if I'm wrong here:

https://www.evga.com/support/faq/FAQdetails.aspx?f=59690

According to this FAQ page, for my PSU (850W) I should be fine with a 5A fuse? Is 13A dangerous to have attached?

850 (W) x 230 (V) = 3.695... (A)

Advertisement