Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off-Topic Thread V3.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

Another reason not to buy apple. I have no idea why anybody does.

"The new apple, now with even less software support"

• Registered Users Posts: 13,986 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

BloodBath wrote: »

App's can be recompiled, RISC is far better for energy usage and heat which is where laptops have been going. Apple don't give a **** about the desktop market and they have been pushing the IPAD pro as the future for a few years now.

Its a bold move Cotton, lets see if it pays off.

Ah I should have read the article. How's the performance?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭amadablam

DPD arrived with the LG27GL850 today but no point in opening it up as I'm waiting on my AIO to do this build.

Monitor was good value for what it is though at not much over 400 plus PayPals greedy currency conversion fees!

bncuDoi.jpg

14SPdUz.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭Tij da feen

The Macbook Pro is hands down the best laptop I've ever used.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,965 ✭✭✭mp3guy

amadablam wrote: »
    DPD arrived with the LG27GL850 today but no point in opening it up as I'm waiting on my AIO to do this build.

Monitor was good value for what it is though at not much over 400 plus PayPals greedy currency conversion fees!

Looks excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

The box has 'screen tearing' :pac: hopefully that's not a bad sign!

Exact what I'm going back to. I've saved up to get the G915 TKL. Expensive but it will be endgame hopefully.

Ended up not going for this. Got the Keymove Snow Fox instead.
    Bluetooth and hot swappable. Typing is so satisfying on it. Much better than the One 2 Mini.

Gave up looking for an aeron and settled for an ergonomic chair from Amazon. A lot of similar choices in the €175-250 range. Most seem to have quality control issues though with most getting 10-20% of reviews in the 1 to 2 star range. Amazon review are not exactly reliable either.

Settled for this in the end as it ticks the boxes for adjustability, ergonomics and has very few low star ratings with 85% in the 4-5 star range. Hopefully it's not a piece of crap. Still going to a lot better than my old chair.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07FYRKXR6/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Gave up looking for an aeron and settled for an ergonomic chair from Amazon. A lot of similar choices in the €175-250 range. Most seem to have quality control issues though with most getting 10-20% of reviews in the 1 to 2 star range. Amazon review are not exactly reliable either.

Settled for this in the end as it ticks the boxes for adjustability, ergonomics and has very few low star ratings with 85% in the 4-5 star range. Hopefully it's not a piece of crap. Still going to a lot better than my old chair.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07FYRKXR6/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Let us know the quality when you get it. Looks like it might do me if it's decent.

• Advertisement

The Macbook Pro is hands down the best laptop I've ever used.

They have their good and bad points. What irks me was people would always compare a circa 2k macbook pro versus a 600 quid dell/lenovo/hp.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Anima

They have their good and bad points. What irks me was people would always compare a circa 2k macbook pro versus a 600 quid dell/lenovo/hp.

They are so underpowered compared to a Windows machine. I have MBP for work and it's a POS. Also Catalina broke so many things. As well now you have 32bit apps disabled, can't play a ton of games or use a ton of 3rd party apps.

They're definitely not what they used to be. I never have any trouble with my Win10 machines tbh. There aren't as many MacOS only apps these days either.

https://www.vox.com/recode/2020/2/12/21134681/mac-pc-virus-malware-malwarebytes

DPD arrived with the LG27GL850 today but no point in opening it up as I'm waiting on my AIO to do this build

D-Day! AIO arrived! Now I need to get the courage to do this build! Hope I haven't bitten off too much :eek:

oIevkqr.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,875 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

D-Day! AIO arrived! Now I need to get the courage to do this build! Hope I haven't bitten off too much :eek:

You'll be grand, and the boards lads are always very helpful if you run into any issues. Just post pics when you're finished!

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭Tij da feen

Anima wrote: »
    They are so underpowered compared to a Windows machine. I have MBP for work and it's a POS. Also Catalina broke so many things. As well now you have 32bit apps disabled, can't play a ton of games or use a ton of 3rd party apps.

They're definitely not what they used to be. I never have any trouble with my Win10 machines tbh. There aren't as many MacOS only apps these days either.

https://www.vox.com/recode/2020/2/12/21134681/mac-pc-virus-malware-malwarebytes

Min spec MBP comes with a 4 core i7 and 16GB RAM if I recall correctly so I'm not sure how they'd be underpowered vs. Windows machines.

For my use case I do find it great. I work with a lot of data and I find the performance using Python and Tableau/Prep pretty amazing (using a late 2019 model with i9). The OS is good from a productivity standpoint and whilst it may seem like something small, the trackpad is like none others I've used.

Min spec MBP comes with a 4 core i7 and 16GB RAM if I recall correctly so I'm not sure how they'd be underpowered vs. Windows machines.

For my use case I do find it great. I work with a lot of data and I find the performance using Python and Tableau/Prep pretty amazing (using a late 2019 model with i9). The OS is good from a productivity standpoint and whilst it may seem like something small, the trackpad is like none others I've used.

Apple has been sacrificing processing power for less cooling over a number of years. If you were to load up your I9, it wold provide little to no extra benefit over the I7 also sold.

And yeah, the trackpads are amazing. The rest of the industry allowing Synaptics to continue to put out their sub-par solution for years is ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,191 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Another very very interesting monitor coming out soon

https://www.tweaktown.com/news/73383/acer-unveils-new-31-5-inch-4k-144hz-ips-gaming-monitor/index.html

Acer XB323QK 4K monitor

Mr Crispy wrote: »
    You'll be grand, and the boards lads are always very helpful if you run into any issues. Just post pics when you're finished!

Cheers! Have to say the advice I've gotten off everyone has been fantastic.

Still dead nervous that I made this build a bit more complicated. But I just thought I might as well get it right with the components I like.

Expect a few questions on here, once I get the nerve to get started . :D:D

Headshot wrote: »

https://www.tweaktown.com/news/73383/acer-unveils-new-31-5-inch-4k-144hz-ips-gaming-monitor/index.html

Acer XB323QK 4K monitor

Yeah, saw that and added it to my "watch list" (assuming response time is okay). Expecting it to be out of my budget though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭BArra

Headshot wrote: »

Acer XB323QK 4K monitor

looks good, but will it have an internal fan :rolleyes:

had an xb273k but i returned it due to it becoming too annoying ramping up

BArra wrote: »
    looks good, but will it have an internal fan :rolleyes:

had an xb273k but i returned it due to it becoming too annoying ramping up

I thought the fan on the XB273K was needed for the G-Sync module?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭BArra

Mr Crispy wrote: »
    I thought the fan on the XB273K was needed for the G-Sync module?

good point i missed that the monitor in question is adapative sync so should not have to worry about it

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭L

Looks like WD is changing its branding. What used to be WD Red will now be "WD Red Plus", while "WD Red" will now mean only shingled drives.

One to be aware of since the old WD Reds were the standard mass storage recommendation, and from now on they're going to be worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

Some great comments from that article:
    "The new branding is a big help to consumers who already know what SMR means and what its limitations are—but it's unlikely to do much to educate consumers who aren't already in the know."

This is why they're doing it, to exploit the trust they build with the Red Brand and hoodwink those customers that have had good experience with Red before into buying an inferior product, while giving lip service to the complaints, and even exploit an upsell opportunity. "Oh, for that job you need Red Plus, you were probably lucky you weren't getting these IO issues before."

It's not the first time they have done it. I wouldn't be surprised. There's always Seagate.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Shuck shuck shuck shuck shuck.

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭z0oT

I have 5 10TB and 1 3TB WD Red drives in my server. From what I can tell they're all the standard CMR drives which is a bit of a relief.

EDIT:

Worth a read & watch:
    https://www.servethehome.com/wd-red-smr-vs-cmr-tested-avoid-red-smr/

9+ days to rebuild an array -:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 54,191 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

**** I dont know what to do

I ordered a Valve Index VR Kit along time ago and because of Covid 19 there was no stock but its back and Steam are asking for me to complete the purchase

Idk do I want it now, I'm dying to play the new half life game and possibly other VR games but is it really worth it ...

• Advertisement

I'd think it would hold on to a good bit of its resale value given the shortages.... I wouldn't say you'd lose a ton of money if you decided to sell it shortly afterwards.

Advertisement