Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off-Topic Thread V3.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭Coyler

Your E drive is dead or dying. Windows will just keep finding errors and try to fix them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,222 ✭✭✭Calvin

Coyler wrote: »
    Your E drive is dead or dying. Windows will just keep finding errors and try to fix them.

Ah, nice one. It’s on 40~ hours now, will wait for it to finish and try recover some stuff. Did the most important ones there today and then it gave me that BSOD, so didn’t manage to get to others but that’s grand. Hopefully Amazon won’t be too long in delivering the new drive! I had just spent 3ish days re-downloading COD too.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

There you go.

140mm fans = buy Arctic P14.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭Ultrflat

Thinking of upgrading again to this: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07WFPHZ8J

61fV-U3hB2L._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Since it's on sale and cheaper than what I paid for the blue one. Thoughts? The arms look detachable

I'd go noble chairs to be honest. way better. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,146 ✭✭✭dudeeile

I'd recommend a good office chair over any chair targeted at gamers, go fabric or mesh preferably and avoid the hot stickiness of pu. Go to some office supply stores and try out their chairs, you can always strike a deal in person and you may even find some on offer. Google some stores and better yet if you can visit some outside of Dublin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

All those racing chairs are the same chair; they all use the same frame. The only real differences are the colours, materials, and sometimes small details with things like the lumbar cushion and armrests.

One is designed to keep you stationary while the thing you're sitting in bounces all over the place, with no thought to comfort.
    The other is designed to keep you as comfortable as possible for extended periods without movement.

10/10 would spend the money on a proper ergonomic chair.

z8u0hep351a51.jpg

I've reached endgame - the Roccat Kain 120 AIMO is just pure butter in my hands.
    Razer Mamba wireless will be going on Adverts soon.

So my HDD issue has taken a new turn... said ETA was 48 hours for windows to fix my E: drive, came back this morning and it was finished.

Went on to check everything and my E: drive seems to be no longer existent. Rebooted and it’s now missing off of disk management. Some message popped up to reinitialize it, or something like that. Pressed OK and it just tells me I’m trying to access something that is no longer existent. Safe to assume then that the HDD is a goner? Have an SSD ordered and on the way, so hopefully it won’t be too long for that to arrive, if that’s the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,986 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

So my HDD issue has taken a new turn... said ETA was 48 hours for windows to fix my E: drive, came back this morning and it was finished.

Went on to check everything and my E: drive seems to be no longer existent. Rebooted and it’s now missing off of disk management. Some message popped up to reinitialize it, or something like that. Pressed OK and it just tells me I’m trying to access something that is no longer existent. Safe to assume then that the HDD is a goner? Have an SSD ordered and on the way, so hopefully it won’t be too long for that to arrive, if that’s the case.

Yeah, running a repair usually just accelerates the process.

Yeah, running a repair usually just accelerates the process.

Ah, fair enough. I had a small bit of hope there that I’d have time this morning to copy across some games to an external HDD to save me some downloading time. Oh well! 1tb SSD on the way, be grand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Lads, need some help, this doing my head in, i never had this issue before.

My laptop shat itself and I decided to just reinstall windows.

Got my old trusty usb key and popped it in. So it get all files transferred and goes to restart. I take out usb key and it goes in to whole getting ready on black screen and just freezes. Nothing happens. Already did first step countless times and it does same thing.
    If I keep usb in, it just keeps going for new install again.

Am I doing something wrong? Already making a newer version of Windows usb boot drive. As the image on my current one is from 2016.

2016 version should work, but it's hard to tell just from that. Can you run recovery from the USB stick?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

.G. wrote: »
    If I'm selling an i7 6700k, mobo and 16gb ram what would be a good price to expect? The ryzen 3300x has obviously muddied the water somewhat but for some reason these old i7s still seem to be getting sold for mad money on adverts, or at least they're listed for mad money!
    Homelander wrote: »
    People still want the CPU as it's a hassle free upgrade.

Be harder shift it as a bundle for a good price.

Good chance you'd get more for the CPU on Ebay than Adverts too.

Probably get €200ish for the 6700K anyway.

Put it all up for 280 and got it fairly handily, off a fella who was more interested in the mobo actually! Anyway happy out and he'll make a few quid selling it as a full system most likely.

Serephucus wrote: »
    2016 version should work, but it's hard to tell just from that. Can you run recovery from the USB stick?

I deleted all partitions and making completely new install. At least from back in a day, I remember to take out usb key after initial thing. So it would not boot up from usb again.

So when that first restart happens, it goes in to whole "getting ready", then blacks out and i think reboots, but then it just freezes on that initial black screen with Quanta logo. It does not continue install anymore. I never had that issue.

It has only m.2 drive, would if be part of the issue?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,114 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

once you at it , try do DISKPART clean before installation

Make sure select right drive

Lads, just update:

I got new usb boot drive sorted on my pc and it worked perfectly on laptop. So its outdated windows install.
    Got a few things installed and I will still going to restore tone **** of stuff after.

Right now I am in a pub with pints. Its future Shadowhearth problem.

Cheers for the help lads, I know I always can rely on you. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

dudeeile wrote: »
    I'd recommend a good office chair over any chair targeted at gamers
    Yeah I'm not specifically interested in them either but I'm also not completely against them. I only considered the one in the picture because it was cheaper than anything else I saw, had removable arms and reclined back almost at 90°.
    dudeeile wrote: »
    Go to some office supply stores and try out their chairs
    I was at one recently and found a chair that felt pretty ok. Asked for a quote and he said €650, completely out of my range. It was comfortable but seemed like a fairly normal mesh chair. These things are marked up for business. They're not even trying to compete with online retailers.
    All those racing chairs are the same chair; they all use the same frame.
    In general yeah but there are differences. The ones with detachable armrests are quite different than the ones whose back is connected via the armrests. Different core system even if the back support is standard.
    10/10 would spend the money on a proper ergonomic chair.
    Budget is about €150. Non-premium brand gaming chairs seem to have the most value in this price range as far as I can tell so far.
    BloodBath wrote: »
    Would you not be better off getting a new desk?
    Possibly. I got this one custom made by a carpenter because of my lanky body and everything else in local retail shops felt like shyte. Feel free to reccomend one though. I'm more inclined towards something discrete as I'm looking to declutter and have less bulk to haul for moving.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

So the problem with the arms is that they don't fit under your desk? When I'm gaming I put the arms up high and use them as supports with keyboard and mouse near the edge of my table which also allows me to lean back properly. Is that an option?

It's possible to do but it's uncomfortable and leaves me with very little mouse space. It also makes my elbows spread out wider which is not ergonomic. Here I made a quick gif of what pulling the keyboard to the edge and using the armrests ends up like for me.

hwqobKk.gif

and space left for mouse:

klH4ys5.jpg

So it's better that I leave the keyboard deeper in and rest my forearm/elbow on the desk itself which requires the armrests under the desk by outright lowering the height of the chair but again, lanky 6ft 3" here so I'd like to stop doing this.

You're pretty tall. I would say go for a taller desk and a good ergonomic chair of a decent size with plenty of adjustments so you can sit properly. Your back will thank you for it in the long run.

I was starting to get some back issues from poor desk/chair setup. I still need a proper desk but it's a lot better now with the chair I got. You're a lot taller than me so your back is taking even more strain.

• Advertisement

I'm 6'3". I've had loads of office chairs and they were all decent. Bought a noble chairs epic a few years back and have't looked back. Its great for me. Has loads of adjustment to get it just right on a given day. My desk is 600 deep and 750 off the ground. Arms on the chair at their lowest setting fit under it but I'm rarely that close to it.

I would say go for a taller desk
    It's tall enough the problem is I can't raise the height of the chair enough to suit my legs without the armrests becoming a problem.
    with the chair I got
    Link please?
    .G. wrote: »
    I've had loads of office chairs and they were all decent
    I can't sit at any computer in college without having to readjust the chair, monitor and keyboard. Don't even get me started with public transport n' such. The brand you mentioned seems a bit expensive for me + isn't it that vehicle style that everyone else is warning me about?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B012C10JJQ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Happy for what I paid for it which is the current price but it was supposed to be on sale for around £100 at some point as well. It's got a fair amount of adjustments, seat pan, height, lower back support height, headrest height, armrest height, angle and forward, backward adjustments.

Your desk is not tall enough if it's forcing you to lower the chair that much making your legs uncomfortable.

The edge space you have is not great either.

Your desk is not tall enough if it's forcing you to lower the chair that much making your legs uncomfortable.
    It doesn't matter how high the desk is because its position relative to the chair's armrests remains the same. It could reach the roof and so could my chair and the problem of the armrests preventing me from getting close to the desk would persist. My arms are too elevated. I tried a chair with no arm rests and it felt a lot better because I was able to raise the chair and lower my hands but I was convinced it was overpriced and wasn't worth the reduced cushion comfort of this one. Pretty much my current chair without its arms removable/highly adjustable would be fine by me and I'm looking for something close to that.

Thanks for the link. I'm just building up a few bookmarks of potential replacements.
    The edge space you have is not great either
    You mean mouse area? It's penty once I push it all in. That pic is not my normal setup.

I'm going to get RGB fans but can't decide on 2x front or 2x front + 1x rear.

#FirstWorldProblems

It's tall enough the problem is I can't raise the height of the chair enough to suit my legs without the armrests becoming a problem.

Link please?

I can't sit at any computer in college without having to readjust the chair, monitor and keyboard. Don't even get me started with public transport n' such. The brand you mentioned seems a bit expensive for me + isn't it that vehicle style that everyone else is warning me about?

It's pricey alright but you get what you pay for. A seat is a personal thing, everyone is different. I certainly don't agree with sweeping statements that all "gaming" chairs are crap. Mine s very comfortable and I expected nothing less for the price. I suffer with lower back pain too and its never given me any issues in that area and I spend a lot of time in it. My work is physically demanding so when I get home I sit about a lot :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,637 ✭✭✭Inviere

If I wanted a really small lcd screen, purely to manage bios settings in a headless Unraid build....would something like this work - https://www.amazon.de/Kuman-Raspberry-Generation-Display-Monitor/dp/B07D49C1XJ/ref=sr_1_6?crid=2UMA2ZZIBJXI8&dchild=1&keywords=lcd+screen&qid=1594795532&sprefix=lcd+screen%2Caps%2C146&sr=8-6

^^ Obviously it'll work in the sense that it receives a signal over HDMI...but would it properly scale a native bios resolution, allowing me to see the whole screen?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

uh oh

https://www.pcgamer.com/uk/nvidia-ampere-12pin-power-connector/
    The new Nvidia Ampere graphics cards might need a whole new PSU, pushing PC gamers towards AMD's Big Navi cards instead... if reports of a new 12-pin PCIe power connector are to be 100 percent believed. As always the GPU rumor field is intensifying as we circle ever closer around the eventual GeForce launch day, and this latest suggests Nvidia's next-gen Founders Edition cards will sport a new power connector to deliver around 400W of power to the top-end Ampere GPUs

There'll be adapters in the box. No biggie. Will be annoying for cosmetics though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,401 ✭✭✭Homelander

400W for GPU alone? In 2020?

I really can't believe that. Ridiculously high-end dual GPU on single PCB solutions years ago didn't draw that much power.

Advertisement