Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off-Topic Thread V3.0

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Unless they're having trouble with a new platform again and are assuming they have enough lead over AMD to dick everyone in the face and take the hit.

Wonder if the Ampere cards will include wood screws. Anyone else smell a burning Fermi in the room? :3

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Homelander wrote: »
    400W for GPU alone? In 2020?

I really can't believe that. Ridiculously high-end dual GPU on single PCB solutions years ago didn't draw that much power.

Well since it's Nvidia they are obviously very powerful cards rather than just power hogs.

And they are obviously talking about the high end card and will have smaller less powerful cards that do not consume as much power.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭Rossi IRL

Wait, you'd be mad not too imho.

Guess I'm mad so.... Couldn't wait so I went ahead and bought the parts to make my first build..

Will throw some pictures into the other thread when I'm done. (if I don't brake it in the process of putting it together)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

dreamers75 wrote: »

https://www.reddit.com/r/hardware/comments/hrmc53/whats_up_with_nvidias_new_12pin_power_supply_dont/fy6et0l/
    The article from FCPowerup is fake. It literally said in the last sentence that it is all just made up.

以上的内容都是我编的。

"I fabricated all the content above"

Its unbelievable how many so-called journalists fell for it. Shows you how much care they gave to their content.

Igor's article doesn't source the FCPowerup article but made reference, so it should be noted nonetheless.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

Knew that was fake when I read it. Nvidia aren't that stupid.

2 x 8 pins delivers over 300w of power anyway along with another 75w from the board.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Its possible that the "new" 12pin connector exists, but in fact was just something thrown together for power-testing on prototype PCBs - engineering samples tend to wind up with plenty of bespoke or over-engineered features while stuff is being fine-tuned (or in some cases tested to near-destruction). If the bigger Amperes do pull big power its likely they used this 12pin arrangement for testing to see how much performance would be lost running the chips at various points around the 300-375W zone with all CUs still enabled.

Just saw the reddit and according to a recent post allegedly the source is now doubling down on their original claims and is claiming that the fabrication and sarcasm comments were mistranslated and all this 400W malarkey really is a thing now. Probably just more horsepoop... but this kind of thing can't always be 100% ruled out when nVidia are about to launch a new architecture :o

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

His AIO tubes sitting on his GPU backplate has upset me :D

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭Aodhan5000

Whatever about AIO tubes, I was holding my breath as he put in that cpu :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,637 ✭✭✭Inviere

Inviere wrote: »
    If I wanted a really small lcd screen, purely to manage bios settings in a headless Unraid build....would something like this work - https://www.amazon.de/Kuman-Raspberry-Generation-Display-Monitor/dp/B07D49C1XJ/ref=sr_1_6?crid=2UMA2ZZIBJXI8&dchild=1&keywords=lcd+screen&qid=1594795532&sprefix=lcd+screen%2Caps%2C146&sr=8-6

^^ Obviously it'll work in the sense that it receives a signal over HDMI...but would it properly scale a native bios resolution, allowing me to see the whole screen?

Anyone? :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,986 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Anyone? :o

Seems like a waste of money. Why would you be heading into the bios so often to go to that effort? If thats the case, why not just get a board or system with IMPI or pick up a cheap dell/lenovo/hp with Intel AMT.

Seems like a waste of money. Why would you be heading into the bios so often to go to that effort? If thats the case, why not just get a board or system with IMPI or pick up a cheap dell/lenovo/hp with Intel AMT.

I don't need to do it often, but it would be handy at times. Currently I've to lift the whole server into another room to connect it up to the tv...so it's really impractical if I've to make any changes. It'd be very handy to have a cheap, small, screen there for the rare time I need it.

I don't fancy changing the motherboard out just to make bios changes, a cheap screen makes more sense....but I'm unsure of those small/cheap screens would display the bios screen properly or not...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,986 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

I don't need to do it often, but it would be handy at times. Currently I've to lift the whole server into another room to connect it up to the tv...so it's really impractical if I've to make any changes. It'd be very handy to have a cheap, small, screen there for the rare time I need it.

I don't fancy changing the motherboard out just to make bios changes, a cheap screen makes more sense....but I'm unsure of those small/cheap screens would display the bios screen properly or not...

I mean, I just have a old 17 inch LCD and keyboard/mouse around for that purpose. You can get them for a tenner off adverts.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭jonski

Is it worth trading up a 1080 for a 2070 super ? or is it too small a jump ?

Just looking at the Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070 Super WINDFORCE OC 3x 8G for £479 on Amazon .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭SickBoy

jonski wrote: »
    Is it worth trading up a 1080 for a 2070 super ? or is it too small a jump ?

Just looking at the Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070 Super WINDFORCE OC 3x 8G for £479 on Amazon .

It's about the same performance as a 1080ti with less vram.
    Costly upgrade for ~25% IMO.

Now, if you have a buyer already lined up for your 1080 and the cost of upgrade is reasonable then it might make sense.

Might not be a bad idea to stick up that 1080 on adverts and then buy the 2070S after. I was looking at buying a 1080 but the prices on adverts are insane and people are actually paying those prices. Seen plenty of em go for around the 350/400 mark so if you could ship your one off for that it might not be too expensive an upgrade however next gen is around the corner so that's something to consider

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

screens would display the bios screen properly or not...

Pretty sure BIOS n' such are made for small resolutions, right? I remember seeing a picture of Memtest86 running on a 4K screen and it looked like a dot :D The only problem would be your eyesight at that point.

I've been looking at vertical mice like https://www.amazon.co.uk/Vertical-Veeki-Ergonomic-Notebook-Prevention-Black , https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00FPAVUHC and https://www.amazon.co.uk/Zeerkeer-Vertical-Ergonomic-Mouse-Joystick/dp/B07VXKF5G4

Anyone have gaming experience with such mice? My mind's been on ergonomics a lot lately and these seem worth an investment. I think they'll probably be fine for general tasks but I'm a little worried about gaming.

Pretty sure BIOS n' such are made for small resolutions, right? I remember seeing a picture of Memtest86 running on a 4K screen and it looked like a dot :D The only problem would be your eyesight at that point.

Cheers thanks. Where the server is I really don't have space for a desk monitor...so a small screen would be ideal. I might just take the risk, cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭jonski

SickBoy wrote: »
    It's about the same performance as a 1080ti with less vram.
    Costly upgrade for ~25% IMO.

Now, if you have a buyer already lined up for your 1080 and the cost of upgrade is reasonable then it might make sense.
    Aodhan5000 wrote: »
    Might not be a bad idea to stick up that 1080 on adverts and then buy the 2070S after. I was looking at buying a 1080 but the prices on adverts are insane and people are actually paying those prices. Seen plenty of em go for around the 350/400 mark so if you could ship your one off for that it might not be too expensive an upgrade however next gen is around the corner so that's something to consider

I'm not even sure what put the idea in my head , maybe it was the fan noise when I play Red Dead in Ultra :) . I have the EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 SC GAMING ACX 3.0, 8GB GDDR5X and it was probably tech news articles singing the praises of the 2070 super plus the son is looking at upgrading his PC so I thought I could give him the 1080 @ mates rates ;) , given that he is earning and I am not :( .

• Advertisement

I really feel like GN had a huge impact on case design; they were one of the first outlets to really highlight how bad the new trend of closed-front cases was.
    Glad that manufacturers responded with good airflow cases.
    Kinda makes me regret my Define R6 lol

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

I've a closed front case but you can pop the cover off in seconds so it is fully open then if you wanted more air for a demanding game or benchmark.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭EoinHef

I've a Coolermaster H500M sitting in the house for the last year unopened. That video makes me feel like i should changed off my NZXT H400 a lot sooner.

Nephew is building a PC soon so ill give him the NZXT and move into the coolermaster case.

I've been looking at vertical mice like https://www.amazon.co.uk/Vertical-Veeki-Ergonomic-Notebook-Prevention-Black , https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00FPAVUHC and https://www.amazon.co.uk/Zeerkeer-Vertical-Ergonomic-Mouse-Joystick/dp/B07VXKF5G4

Anyone have gaming experience with such mice? My mind's been on ergonomics a lot lately and these seem worth an investment. I think they'll probably be fine for general tasks but I'm a little worried about gaming.

https://www.tested.com/tech/accessories/817768-testing-ergonomics-vertical-mice/

I don't think I've seen any proper science to support ergonomic mice though*, and the sensors will be bad.
    If playing FPS games, worry more about getting a mouse to suit your hand, practice good posture & do some arm/wrist exercises.

*links to the contrary appreciated

The dude's grip from the 1st video is exactly the way I hold mine. However I turned my mouse to the side and moved it around like a vertical mouse and I just felt a lot less pressure in my arm. It overall just felt nice and somehow more natural, too. I don't know if that is true for an actual vertical mouse with prolonged use or gaming, though.

I didn't see any science on it either but I just throught it seemed obvious because you don't natrually rest your hand on a surface flat down. They kinda tilt to their knucles, at least for me... Most of these things come down to personal comfort rather than any science anyway.

I've been following this video before every stream:

I added it to my OBS launch script so it actually plays in mpv automatically so I can't ignore it.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

I got a vertical mouse for work last year - just a cheapo Anker one for less than €20 off Amazon (link). I don't have any RSI or carpel tunnel issues, but prevention is better than cure and the difference was noticeable almost straight away. If you're more interested in spending a few quid, by all accounts the Logitech MX Vertical seems to get good reviews all round.

Well you could just use a vertical mouse for office stuff etc. and switch over to a normal one for gaming

• Registered Users Posts: 12,416 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭maherhonda

Hi Folks,

Would this be a worthwhile upgrade for a friend on his PC. He really just wants to keep it going and would be happy at low to medium settings on 1080P.
    He'll probably fork out on a new PC in the new year after the consoles arrive.

Current Specs:
    I5-4460
    4GB*2 ram sticks - Matx board
    GTX 970
    550 watt Corsair VS Series.
    256GB SSD + 1TB HD.

Cex: I7-4770 95 euro
    Cex: 2*8GB - 60 euro

Total 155 Euro

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

maherhonda wrote: »
    Hi Folks,

Would this be a worthwhile upgrade for a friend on his PC. He really just wants to keep it going and would be happy at low to medium settings on 1080P.
    He'll probably fork out on a new PC in the new year after the consoles arrive.

Current Specs:
    I5-4460
    4GB*2 ram sticks - Matx board
    GTX 970
    550 watt Corsair VS Series.
    256GB SSD + 1TB HD.

Cex: I7-4770 95 euro
    Cex: 2*8GB - 60 euro

Total 155 Euro

I've considered that processor upgrade and it just isn't worth the price. €100 for a 4770 is just a rip off considering the small increase in performance.

Advertisement