Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off-Topic Thread V3.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Those are good; had one in my first rig instead of i7-4770 as they were about €80 cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭EoinHef

I wouodnt be buying a 4770 thinking its a big upgrade but 4c/4t is really starting to have issues in modern games. Frame drops,stuttering etc so its not all about raw numbers. If your looking for a big performance jump for not much money you need to be looking at ryzen long term

In that sense the 4770 with 4c/8t might be an option short term. €100 does sound a bit to steep but might be able to get something for the 4460 aswell.

Your friend having any particular issues?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,401 ✭✭✭Homelander

I've considered that processor upgrade and it just isn't worth the price. €100 for a 4770 is just a rip off considering the small increase in performance.

To be fair, there is a massive difference in performance in modern games. It's not about average frames, it's about minimum frames, where the i7 is miles better.

Games like BFV or Warzone are a headache on an i5-4460, they're completely fine on an i7-4770.

€95 is a pretty fair price for a zero hassle upgrade if you don't want to have to invest in a full new platform.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Homelander wrote: »
    To be fair, there is a massive difference in performance in modern games. It's not about average frames, it's about minimum frames, where the i7 is miles better.

Games like BFV or Warzone are a headache on an i5-4460, they're completely fine on an i7-4770.

€95 is a pretty fair price for a zero hassle upgrade if you don't want to have to invest in a full new platform.

A Ryzen 5 1600 is the same price in CeX. DDR4 ram is cheaper in CeX than the DDR3 stuff he is looking at. How much is a bog standard B450 new? That would probably only be about €60 or €70 delivered. You could even go with an A320 motherboard. I assume that would be cheaper again.

So for an extra €60. He gets a relatively recent 6 core 12 thread processor and it also gives him the option to upgrade drop in a 3000 or 4000 series Ryzen in the future if he ever sees one at a decent price. He also has his old CPU, motherboard and RAM that he could sell to get back some of the money he has spent. Or give it away to someone or upgrade their PC for them.

€100 for a second hand i7 from 7 years ago is a rip off.

• Advertisement

OK, but I said it's a pretty fair price for a zero hassle upgrade? Not that it was the ideal, perfect solution or that I was personally advocating for it.

There's a reason 2nd hand markets exist and old CPU's hold onto value in many cases.....because a lot of people are not bothered with the hassle of changing platform.

Would I do it? No. Do I think it's the "best" option? Also no. Do I personally think changing platform is a hassle? No.

Pointing out the option is semi-viable is only trying to be helpful. I mean, I only posted because you said there is a "small" increase in performance when the difference is actually quite significant, particularly in new games which choke on 4/4 but run well on 4/8.

If the OP wants a full new platform, great. If he wants to invest €100 in a 5 minute job that'll significantly improve his CPU performance, it's not exactly wasted money either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭maherhonda

He's going to leave the Ram and get the I7 for a short term upgrade. Battlefield was one of the games he mentioned.

Planning on building a new one in January.

The I7-4770 are still huge prices on ebay so he can sell it probably close to what he paid for it next year or maybe for 60 quid so ideally will only cost him only 35 quid for the upgrade.

Doesn't want the bother of upgrading a full system at this stage.

Trading in the 4460,cex will give €17:(

Doesnt help much but at least its something I suppose.

I'd have to say going ryzen would be the better option though. Some really great value options.

I do get some people don't want to take apart a PC and rebuild it but sure if he is still running a 4460 he must not have done it in a good few years:pac:

Usually you would get €30 for one on Adverts, probably more on Ebay. And he is right, it'll hold its value well enough that re-selling it back on Ebay will probably net exactly what he paid in the first place.

To this day, 6700's and 7700's still go for almost €200 regularly even though a brand new 3300X is a faster, identical CPU with faster RAM support that costs €130.

It's all down to people not being willing to, or wanting, a full system or platform change, and being happy enough with solid improvement over what they have.

As I said, just because most of us here wouldn't do that, doesn't mean it's not viable or that tons of people don't do it....they do, hence why prices remain so high for 2nd hand parts.

He's going to keep the I5-4660 and put it back in the PC when selling it in January.

He'll sell the I7 then in January for the 100 quid or close to it. Win Win situation.

• Advertisement

maherhonda wrote: »
    He's going to keep the I5-4660 and put it back in the PC when selling it in January.

He'll sell the I7 then in January for the 100 quid or close to it. Win Win situation.

Would he though? Why would I pay someone the same as I could pay cex and get a warranty with cex?

Sorry im splitting hairs a bit. If he loses €50 and keeps him going for awhile no big deal.

He should definitely see more consistent frametimes anyway and better 1% lows

EoinHef wrote: »
    Would he though? Why would I pay someone the same as I could pay cex and get a warranty with cex?

Sorry im splitting hairs a bit. If he loses €50 and keeps him going for awhile no big deal.

He should definitely see more consistent frametimes anyway and better 1% lows

Sell it on ebay. You could actually make a profit off them buying them on cex and selling on ebay.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

maherhonda wrote: »
    Sell it on ebay. You could actually make a profit off them buying them on cex and selling on ebay.

No you wouldn't massive fees selling on ebay.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭Rossi IRL

About to start my first pc build. Just wondering regarding static, have a static wrist thing ordered but won't be here for a week or so.

Would it be safe to build on a desk that currently has devices plugged in such as a monitor and consoles, or should it be done on an empty desk.

Plenty of room on my desk for the build just wondering about static with the other devices.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

I've only built 3 PCs but I never used an anti-static band and didn't have any issues even though I'm particularly staticy (my sister can't even touch light bulbs without them blowing out). Always built on a big wooden table with nothing else on it. I'd only get a band if I was going to be building or tinkering a lot.
    No you wouldn't massive fees selling on ebay.
    Yeah what I'd personally do if I wasn't looking for a fast sale is just undercut whatever CEX sells it for by about €10 and put it on adverts.
    Shiminay wrote: »
    I got a vertical mouse for work last year - just a cheapo Anker one for less than €20 off Amazon (link). I don't have any RSI or carpel tunnel issues, but prevention is better than cure and the difference was noticeable almost straight away. If you're more interested in spending a few quid, by all accounts the Logitech MX Vertical seems to get good reviews all round.
    I was considering the Anker but a review put me right off. It was a positive one but they were singing praises about how it helped them because they have huge hands. I have pretty small hands for a guy (pringles fetcher perk) so I wanna go medium to small. Getting the right size is apparently hugely important to ergonomics for a mouse as well as accuracy although I'm not too concerned about accuracy anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Rossi IRL wrote: »
    About to start my first pc build. Just wondering regarding static, have a static wrist thing ordered but won't be here for a week or so.

Would it be safe to build on a desk that currently has devices plugged in such as a monitor and consoles, or should it be done on an empty desk.

Plenty of room on my desk for the build just wondering about static with the other devices.

Just keep touching a radiator every so often to ground yourself and you will be fine.

As above.

Or if you get the PSU installed first and plug it in and leave it turned off. Just touch it every now and then.

Built a good few PCs at this point and I've just used the above,never had an issue.

Just dont build it on a shag carpet:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 28,035 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

The Verge have a good build video if you get stuck.

Also obligatory pics when your done Rossi

• Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭Rossi IRL

Right ploughed into it and all put together I think

Won't get to test it untill tomorrow when I get home from work.

Only 2 things I wasn't sure about. One of my nvme ssd's was a little tight when screwing in the motherboard heatsink. Didn't seem natural. Other nmve was fine.

First time doing thermal paste, may have put on a little much. Bit came out of the side when the cooler was tightened. Not much though and managed to clean some up with the paste spreader tool.

Edit: I used Arctic mx4 and it says it's non conducting

Will try get some photos up in the other thread when I have it up and running. (if I get it up and running)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭Aodhan5000

Is painting the PCB of a motherboard with plastidip an awful idea (other than voiding warranty) or does it make no difference to stuff such as thermals as long as it doesn't conduct electricity? It's a rubber paint so I'm guessing it'd be grand and if so, would it help prevent a watercooling leak from shorting the board?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,986 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Aodhan5000 wrote: »
    Is painting the PCB of a motherboard with plastidip an awful idea (other than voiding warranty) or does it make no difference to stuff such as thermals as long as it doesn't conduct electricity? It's a rubber paint so I'm guessing it'd be grand and if so, would it help prevent a watercooling leak from shorting the board?

Leaks are rare and they don't really do much unless you leave them for significant amounts of time. Water itself isn't very conductive.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,416 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭Aodhan5000

@cuddlesworth
    Fair enough I spose it wouldn't make that much difference for that but I'd be just doing it for aesthetics tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭z0oT

Anyone ever have the issue with the Windows Search service using an abnormal high amount of CPU while otherwise doing nothing? It's been hitting 20% on my 3700X causing the CPU fan to audibly spin up while idle - I've had to disable the service as a result. :rolleyes:

Contrast that to the Linux world - I run one command to update the search database whenever I want, takes about 1 minute to run, and then that's it. It stays completely out of my hair until I run it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,114 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

z0oT wrote: »
    Anyone ever have the issue with the Windows Search service using an abnormal high amount of CPU while otherwise doing nothing? It's been hitting 20% on my 3700X causing the CPU fan to audibly spin up while idle - I've had to disable the service as a result. :rolleyes:

Contrast that to the Linux world - I run one command to update the search database whenever I want, takes about 1 minute to run, and then that's it. It stays completely out of my hair until I run it again.
    New files/directories added?
    What size is Windows.edb ? Default location C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Search\Data\Applications\Windows\
    If Windows.edb corrupt, Windows might attempt to rebuild it. Not linux user, but believe it'll behave same if corruption has occurred...
    You can delete/rename Windows.edb and allow Win to start from "scratch"

Review your Indexing Options, remove any unwanted directories from there.

z0oT wrote: »
    Anyone ever have the issue with the Windows Search service using an abnormal high amount of CPU while otherwise doing nothing?

Won't it turn back on every time you boot? Perhaps make a launch script to disable it on after login. Anytime I use a non VM windows the 1st thing I do is open the task manager and shocked to see so much useless junk is running.

I'm considering this mouse.
    CDDel8N.jpg

It was the only one that was apparently any good for gaming as most others don't register fast movement and I saw about 2 complaints that it was too small so I'm hopeful it fits my hands decent. Been using this tool to try get an idea of their size in comparison to the known size of my Rival 100. The Zeerker is still an option because of its smaller size and thumb stick option if I ever want to use it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

I'm considering this mouse.
    CDDel8N.jpg

It was the only one that was apparently any good for gaming as most others don't register fast movement and I saw about 2 complaints that it was too small so I'm hopeful it fits my hands decent. Been using this tool to try get an idea of their size in comparison to the known size of my Rival 100. The Zeerker is still an option because of its smaller size and thumb stick option if I ever want to use it.

https://www.reddit.com/r/MouseReview/comments/b3v13r/i_tried_out_the_gxt_144_rexx_vertical_gaming/

• Registered Users Posts: 13,986 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Carpel Tunnel? I run a MX vertical, probably not the best performance but its worth it to avoid a flair up.

• Advertisement

Carpel Tunnel? I run a MX vertical, probably not the best performance but its worth it to avoid a flair up.

Could you do me a favour and launch a game and move the mouse as fast as possible all around like you're having a fit? Probably with in-game sensitivity kinda low so you can actually see the movements. A mouse I had once would stall if the flicks were too fast.

Advertisement