Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off-Topic Thread V3.0

Options

Comments

Just purchased a Phanteks P600S case. Meshify C up for sale shortly if anyone is after one at a good price.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Those Vega 56 Pulse at €328 are soooo tempting.
    It's not a true upgrade from my 980 Ti watercooled, but it would give me FreeSync.

Waiting for Navi is so hard :(

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    Those Vega 56 Pulse at €328 are soooo tempting.
    It's not a true upgrade from my 980 Ti watercooled, but it would give me FreeSync.

Waiting for Navi is so hard :(

They are going have to come to come down to sub 300 because of the 1160ti.

They are going have to come to come down to sub 300 because of the 1160ti.

https://www.gamersnexus.net/hwreviews/3445-evga-gtx-1660-ti-xc-review-benchmark

GTX 1660 Ti beaten by Vega 56, even when the Nvidia card is overclocked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

And Nvidia can **** off with their practice of deliberately hamstringing the longevity of cards with the VRAM.

I would take Vega 56 over that card easily.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,699 ✭✭✭Inviere

Couple of off topic questions guys:

1) is there any disadvantage/concerns/drawbacks to using a really long HDMI cable, like 7 meters or so?

2) would an Nvidia Shield have any issues powering x2 external portable 4TB hdd’s?

3) is it feasible/possible to set up a Windows 10 user account that auto-starts Kodi and has no access to anything else on the pc except the local media it needs?

4) has anyone any recommendations for a hdmi switcher that’ll handle an Xbox One X, a Firestick, a PC, and a digital tv receiver? Ideally one that’d support 4k60 and HDR so it’s futureproofed.

Many thanks for any info

To paraphrase Steve from GN:

The 1660 Ti is a GTX 1070 with less VRAM & lower power consumption, and a lower launch price.

My take:

Get a Vega 56 non-blower.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭jebidiah

To paraphrase Steve from GN:

The 1660 Ti is a GTX 1070 with less VRAM & lower power consumption, and a lower launch price.

My take:

Get a Vega 56 non-blower.

What about a 2060? It's not much more expensive or is that just MSRP?

Double post. Sorry.

I have 8 GB of Corsair DDR 4 at the moment two 4 GB sticks. Should I get two more to go to 16 GB or should I get 2x8 and sell my current sticks?
    CPU is a Ryzen 5 1600, gigabyte mobo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Problem for me with the 2060 is the same - just 6GB VRAM. Deliberately cripples the cards. This is a ****ty tactic Nvidia have introduced relatively recently to artificially separate performance classes.

Imagine the GTX970 was a 2GB card in 2014.....pretty much what Nvidia are doing now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,108 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

jebidiah wrote: »
    Double post. Sorry.

I have 8 GB of Corsair DDR 4 at the moment two 4 GB sticks. Should I get two more to go to 16 GB or should I get 2x8 and sell my current sticks?

HyperX HX426C16FB2/8 8 GB 2666 MHz DDR4 CL16 DIMM 1.2 V 288-Pin Memory Kit, Black https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B06XNRXCV6/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_vauCCbG4DGAWF

These are down to £49 for 8GB stick.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Double post. Sorry.

Sell the 2x4 and buy 2x8 as populating all RAM sockets isn't that good as performance can decrease by a slight margin/ sometimes even more than a slight bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

Problem for me with the 2060 is the same - just 6GB VRAM. Deliberately cripples the cards. This is a ****ty tactic Nvidia have introduced relatively recently to artificially separate performance classes.

Imagine the GTX970 was a 2GB card in 2014.....pretty much what Nvidia are doing now.

In fairness the 970 was fairly crippled as well. 3.5gb of effective memory despite advertising 4gb in the marketing. They lost a class action lawsuit over that and had to pay each 970 owner in the states €50 each.

This was years after the 7970 having 3gb of memory as well. Even 4gb would have been low.

Nvidia have a long list of rotten business practices. I really hope AMD do to them what they have to intel.

BloodBath wrote: »

Nvidia have a long list of rotten business practices.

That's why I do not support Nvidia.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Joshua J

Nvidia have the hearts and minds though. A 1050ti on adverts at E130 with multiple offers and an RX480 at E135 with hardly a sniff.

TitianGerm wrote: »
    HyperX HX426C16FB2/8 8 GB 2666 MHz DDR4 CL16 DIMM 1.2 V 288-Pin Memory Kit, Black https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B06XNRXCV6/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_vauCCbG4DGAWF

These are down to £49 for 8GB stick.

2*4 GB 3000MHz Corsair lpx are about £79 on Amazon, which I currently have. 2*8 GB is around £89, maybe £99? It doesn't make sense.

I'll probably stick with that since since I know it works... But if there's a better deal

• Registered Users Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭EoinHef

2*4 GB 3000MHz Corsair lpx are about £79 on Amazon, which I currently have. 2*8 GB is around £89, maybe £99? It doesn't make sense.

I'll probably stick with that since since I know it works... But if there's a better deal

Givin your on ryzen id definitely go for the faster ram.

I went for a 16gb 3200Mhz Corsair LPX recently,2*8gb sticks.

They should be very close to 3000Mhz kit in price. If ye can stretch a little more id go for them.

Ideally a high speed with very low timings would best but theres a decent premium on that kind of ram still.

https://www.gamersnexus.net/hwreviews/3445-evga-gtx-1660-ti-xc-review-benchmark

GTX 1660 Ti beaten by Vega 56, even when the Nvidia card is overclocked.
    And Nvidia can **** off with their practice of deliberately hamstringing the longevity of cards with the VRAM.

I would take Vega 56 over that card easily.

Right now with the Pulse card in a firesale, if you don't mind near double the power draw(and heat) for slightly more performance, sure.

In a month, with obvious headroom in the 1160ti's price and Sapphire/MSI will to take the hit to clear stock, doubtful.

I like the vega, but its obvious that the current MSI blower and Pulse cards are a stock dump.

Right now with the Pulse card in a firesale, if you don't mind near double the power draw(and heat) for slightly more performance, sure.

In a month, with obvious headroom in the 1160ti's price and Sapphire/MSI will to take the hit to clear stock, doubtful.

I like the vega, but its obvious that the current MSI blower and Pulse cards are a stock dump.

Is there anything wrong with them being a stock dump? Or do you mean the prices could be lower again in a few months? I'm quite tempted by the Pulse card to be honest.

I doubt there will be any significant drop in the near future may 10 or 20 maybe far down the line. They are pretty cheap at the minute for what you are getting tbh.

I have a Vega 56 and I am pretty happy with the performance.

• Advertisement

Is there anything wrong with them being a stock dump? Or do you mean the prices could be lower again in a few months? I'm quite tempted by the Pulse card to be honest.

I'm tempted too, with the games pack its a decent deal. My point is that it seems like its a temporary situation, its heavily Europe based and once stock of both models is gone, Vega 56 will probably go back up to 360+.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

superg wrote: »
    Took it apart today as it won't start at all now. Did the paperclip test and tested for voltage out of the pins on the 24 pin connector and I've got nothing on any of them bar one 5v one. Bought in 2015 with a 5 year warranty so time for RMA!

Back to this again! Appreciate any input.

New PSU in and it started and shut down instantly and kept doing that. I took 1 stick of ram out and it started no problem. Shut it down and tried the other stick on its own and again, started no problem so both sticks I assume are ok however it refuses to start with both sticks installed.

Bad memory or something else? It gives two short beeps on startup with one stick installed, doesn't even get as far as beeps with 2 in it. Googled 2 beeps for MSI but nothing comes up thats even remotely recent to say what it means.

Did you try one stick at a time in different sockets?

Did you try one stick at a time in different sockets?

Yeah it works with one stick in any socket, and both sticks work as long as only one of them is in at any one time. Problem arises when both are in. Tried them in the sockets they're supposed to be in and the other two.

Have ran a windows memory diagnostic on one of the sticks and it said it was fine, have to try the other one tomorrow.

Weird. It's obviously a memory issue which you know but is it a motherboard or RAM issue who knows it could also be the IMC.

Yup. Wondering now whether to start throwing money at it to try fix it or start looking at a new build. Don't particularly want to buy some ddr3 which will be of no use when it comes to a new build and may also not work if the issue is elsewhere!

It's even weirder because the ram never gave an issue while the old psu was alive!

Can you just buy a larger capacity single stick and run it single channel. Saves buying a new system and keeps it running for longer.

But try with a single stick of your own current RAM for a week or two to test stability before purchasing the new larger capacity stick.

My ram is ddr4 so won't work. Buying a single 8gb is the plan alright but it might still be waste of money if the problem is elsewhere

What would be a decent price to sell an MSI GTX 970?
    Also a pair of Corsair 4 GB DDR4 3000MHz ram modules?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭game4it70

superg wrote: »
    Yup. Wondering now whether to start throwing money at it to try fix it or start looking at a new build. Don't particularly want to buy some ddr3 which will be of no use when it comes to a new build and may also not work if the issue is elsewhere!

It's even weirder because the ram never gave an issue while the old psu was alive!

Have a look to see if any of the pins on the mobo are bent.Even a bit of dust in the socket might cause weird issues.

I have some 4gb sticks of ddr3 you can borrow to test if you want.

Advertisement