Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off-Topic Thread V3.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,035 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

You're all making me feel cheap AF. I recently got the wired HyperX Cloud Stinger to replace my broken higher end headphones. I actually got them delivered from CEX and used that store credit I was hoarding so it felt like a €0 transaction to me. I try to treat headphones well but I've come to the conclusion that they just don't last as long as other products like monitors n' such so I'm kind of done paying premium for them.

I've a set of Astro A50s that I bought about 5 years ago and they are still 100% after lots of hours of use.

The Audio Technicas are overhyped. I'd recommend the AKG K371's instead. They blow the AT's out of the water.

Headphone audio is very subjective though so lots of trial and error can be involved.

If you're serious about audio i'd get a nice pair of headphones and an cheapish Chinese amp off Amazon as there are plenty of really good one's on it. S.M.S.L. being one of them or just go all in and get the likes of a Schiit Stack or even an Atom Stack.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,637 ✭✭✭Inviere

K.O.Kiki wrote: »

Cheers for that. From my initial reading though, I need a UPC that uses something called APC for it to work properly with Unraid

• Registered Users Posts: 13,986 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Inviere wrote: »
    Cheers for that. From my initial reading though, I need a UPC that uses something called APC for it to work properly with Unraid

You need something that can communicate with the host so when its engaged and pulling down power, it can auto shutdown. Otherwise, the UPS system eventually fails and the thing drops regardless. So you would require some research, APC is a make, one of the best known and probably one of the most expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,687 ✭✭✭Danger781

We have the cheaper set at home and they are decent, however if active noise cancelling is a requirement then look elsewhere as the ANC on these are almost nonexistent.

I also have the anker soundcore q20 which I find great, good ANC and can use wired connection if required.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Soundcore-Bluetooth-Headphones-Cancellation-Playtime-Black/dp/B07NM3RSRQ/ref=mp_s_a_1_4?dchild=1&keywords=anker+soundcore+q10&qid=1596647987&sprefix=Anker+soundcore+q&sr=8-4

I've the Anker Life 2 variation, not sure how much of a difference there is as the price was almost the same, but I think the ANC is almost non-existent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,416 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

I have the Bose QC35II and the ANC is decent but I thought the ANC on the XM3 were supposed to be a bit better than the Bose?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

OSI wrote: »
    Yeah it's something like:

QC35 II < XM3 < NC700

Have the QC35 II myself for the best part of 3 years now and I use them for hours every day. Fantastic for music and as a headset for meetings etc. I do use them for gaming and don't have any major issue with the sound there, my only gripe is how utterly ****e bluetooth audio support is in Windows so I use them wired there. I'd need both hands and feet to count the number of devices I've used the QC35 IIs via Bluetooth without issue, and yet I can never get them to work reliably on a Windows machine.

I use QC35IIs with Windows via BT for 10+ hrs a day. No issues. Multiple computers.

My issue with them is the crap mic quality. Same goes for the Sonys though and I think the NCs.

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭Luck100

I like QC35II for music/travel. Incredibly comfortable fit, and the noise cancellation is good enough that even a very quiet music level will drown out any noise leaking in. I don't like them for gaming - the surround effects just feel all wrong (even with Windows Sonic enabled). No issues for me with the bluetooth on Android or Win10.

For gaming, the wireless Logitechs are solid. I've had the G533 for a few years with zero issues. A lot cheaper than the Bose - I paid about 85 euros on sale. The surround effect just feels a lot more natural - no sudden jumping of localized effects from one ear to the other when you spin around. Just a nice smooth rotation.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

I use a pair of XM3s (the in-ear ones) while I'm out, and they're pretty great. The only slightly annoying thing is that the noise cancellation mics pick up a good bit of wind noise, so I end up trying it off if I'm out running, and walking a good bit of the time too.

For home, I use the Arctis Pro Wireless. The main reason I got this over the Arctis 7 is because it has a base station, which can charge a second battery, rather than having to plug it in when it gets low. In retrospect this wasn't worth it, and I'd go for the 7 if buying again. Sound quality is very good from them as well.

Any of them without a sideband feature? The Bose go into sideband mode as soon as the comms profile is activated and thus do "anti noise cancelling". This is great if talking as you can hear yourself and not shout. But if you just want to listen to a call (common for me) then its a right pain in the tit.

• Advertisement

The Hyperx Cloud's don't have sidetone as far as i remember. I actually like the feature in a gaming headset. That and chat mix.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

For gaming, if you don't want to hear the outside world, get in-ears or closed-cup headphones.

Noise-cancelling is only necessary if you have a constant, droning noise (e.g. loud fans, air conditioning, roadworks etc.)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

PC on a wall anyone?

EfRbUElXoAAdF_p?format=jpg&name=medium

EfRbUQ1WoAYYUrw?format=jpg&name=medium

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

No thanks. Doesn't even look good for the amount of work and risk involved. Also noise.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,965 ✭✭✭mp3guy

Airflow everywhere, noise and coil whine unconstrained!

Noticed the other day my Ryzen 3600 was only reporting 3 cores and 6 threads to HWinfo sensors.

Don't make the mistake of setting msconfig boot processor number in advanced boot settings. I used to do this on old PC's. I must have done it on this as well at some stage. The max choice was 6 but it was only taking 3 cores/6 threads.

I was having some performance issues that I thought this would fix but it didn't.

When I'm playing GTA V or Warzone. At some point after a couple of hours performance tanks. Nothing is overheating. GTA goes from around 95 fps at 1440p to 45. Warzone drops fps too and stutters. No idea what it is. It's not a memory leak as I have 32GB and it's using nowhere near that. Almost no background programs open. It doesn't seem to be overheating and throttling either. CPU usage is quite low. GPU maxes around 70-75c, 85c junction. GPU memory is also nowhere near full.

Have to restart to fix it. Have a feeling it's my GPU ( 5700 ) as there are still some driver issues with it but I think it's a hardware fault.

Any suggestions?

Also the new total war game Troy Total War is free on the epic games store today only.

https://www.epicgames.com/store/en-US/product/a-total-war-saga-troy/home?sessionInvalidated=true

Was gifted a set of Razer Blackshark V2's during the week. Lads, if any of yiz are thinking of picking up a pair of similarly priced Cloud's then do yourself a favour and get the Razer's instead. They sound so good for gaming. Very impressed with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,911 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

.G. wrote: »

Seems like a dust magnet, great taste in cars though. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

.G. wrote: »
    PC on a wall anyone?

[ dem sweet sweet imgs ]

I probably wouldn't do one personally, but sweet zombie jesus, that's clean AF.

I also love that the riser cable it routed somewhere completely different to get to the GPU.

Serephucus wrote: »

I also love that the riser cable it routed somewhere completely different to get to the GPU.

PCIE risers are the work of the devil. So much nope.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,637 ✭✭✭Inviere

Serephucus wrote: »

Any latency/voltage drop issues with a riser cable that long?

Alien bomb in Agents of Shield

nplposmr9rg51.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭Xenoronin

Even aliens have RGB

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

Something something AMD heat

Something something AMD heat

It's blue so must be Intel 14nm++++++++++++

Ordered up some Arctic Bionix fans for the rig. Have heard good things. Anyone else use them?

• Advertisement

Ordered up some Arctic Bionix fans for the rig. Have heard good things. Anyone else use them?

It's the Arctic P12/P14 I've heard good things about; the Bionix OTOH are supposed to be worse due to design differences.

Advertisement