Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off-Topic Thread V3.0

Options

Comments

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    It's the Arctic P12/P14 I've heard good things about; the Bionix OTOH are supposed to be worse due to design differences.

Really? I'll return so if they suck rather than blow.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

I have 2 of them on my arctic cpu cooler. They do a good enough job. They keep my 3600 cool at low enough RPM. They max around 1200 RPM at 70-75c load on the cpu.

I also have 5 of the Arctic p12's in the case. Got a multi pack for only £15 on sale. Hard to compare them without benchmarks.

I watched a best case fan and best cooler fan shoot out recently and the P's came out as best performers given the price they are.
    The reason i went with the Bionix is that they come in white and grey which will compliment my case. I'll try them out anyway.

These arrived today. Way too loud for my liking even with a fan curve. Going back i'm afraid.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

These arrived today. Way too loud for my liking even with a fan curve. Going back i'm afraid.

That sucks.
    The P12 are available in white (solid or see-through) for £7 on Amazon (PWM & PWM-PST versions)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭Burgo

Hey, anyone have a recommendation for a graphics card update?

PC: 3600/b450 tomahawk max/16GB corsair 3200mhz/ benq xl2411 144hz
    Currently have a nvidia 1060 3gb

Would be looking at spend at most €300 with an eye on playing cyberpunk when its eventually released.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭Burgo

OSI wrote: »
    I'd wait to be honest (I know that's said constantly on here) but we're literally due the announcement of the next gen Nvidia cards in a couple of weeks.

Ah fair enough, not in a real rush. I guess i can wait a few weeks to part with my money! Hopefully get a drop in current cards when they are released.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭jonski

If you have been watching the prices ( like I have for no apparent reason ) you can even see the prices coming down already 2080's are almost affordable ..... almost .

• Registered Users Posts: 28,035 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Just came across these on reddit. Has there been anything released like these fans before?

https://www.reddit.com/r/pcmasterrace/comments/id4ixy/had_the_chance_to_showcase_lian_lis_new_uni_fan/?utm_medium=android_app&utm_source=share

They're only $80 on Newegg including the controller as well.

https://www.newegg.com/p/1YF-005G-00015

Cooler Master have one's that are in a type of rack thing. You can't physically separate them but they're similar.

• Advertisement

Aerocool has the Astro 24: https://aerocool.io/product/astro-24/

2x 120mm fans stuck together with an RGB frame.
    I have them cooling my GPU & they're fantastic, especially for the £22.42 I paid for them back in May.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

I've got 32GB ram and a 2080ti with a 3600 OC'd to 4.5 all core for the moment. 47fps or thereabouts at 4k Ultra. Its a flight sim though, you don't need mad high fps. Everything happens slowly. Sure is pretty though.

Runs fine on mine on Medium. Textures can get a bit blurry lower to the ground but still looks fantastic in general.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

K.O.Kiki wrote: »

Only while it's limited to DX11 and it wont be forever in fairness.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,875 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

I went looking for PSU reviews there the other day and I found the jonnyguru site was pretty much dead, with no new reviews in over a year. Does anyone know what happened to it?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

He works for Corsair now. He used to post the off review when he started. Doesn't seem to now.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,875 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Serephucus wrote: »
    He works for Corsair now. He used to post the off review when he started. Doesn't seem to now.

Yeah, I remember that vaguely but thought the other reviewers were going to continue the site anyway (with his blessing). It was a great resource!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

I really enjoyed the reviews they did of the cheap PSUs. Really clear evidence why you shouldn't be buying a cheapo PSU.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,986 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

• Advertisement

What are peoples thoughts on the RTX 2080 super ? as an upgrade from a 1080 ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Right now it would be a terrible idea imo,new Nvidia GPUs very soon.

1st of September announcement will hopefully give a release date.

I'm in a similar situation,got a 1080 and the money to upgrade im just not buying into the 20 series. Especially since the RT performance is rumored to be much better with the 30 series. And the raster performance jump is not enough to justify the cost of going for a 2080 from a 1080 for me either

jonski wrote: »
    What are peoples thoughts on the RTX 2080 super ? as an upgrade from a 1080 ?

As above, think you'd be mad not to wait for the 30 series at this stage.

As above, think you'd be mad not to wait for the 30 series at this stage.

I was kinda thinking the same but was also thinking that the 30 series would be outside my price range .

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭Aodhan5000

Might still be able to pick up a 2080S second hand then. I'd expect they won't hold their value as well as other cards have

• Registered Users Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

Managed to pick up a 1080ti recently but don't think I'll have the time to use it and not sure it's realistic having it sit doing nothing, what would you guys recommend selling it at? Have it in adverts for 500 at the moment and no bits, it's one of the cheapest on there, are people just not buying waiting for 3xxx series?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,401 ✭✭✭Homelander

Realistically why would someone pay €500 for an old 2nd hand 1080Ti when a) you can get a brand new 2070 Super for that price and b) new cards are coming.

Homelander wrote: »
    Realistically why would someone pay €500 for an old 2nd hand 1080Ti when a) you can get a brand new 2070 Super for that price and b) new cards are coming.

It's a name that non-enthusiasts recognise, usually because they're a bit behind on what the latest technology is. Whether it still is I don't know, but the 1080ti held a silly price for a longtime.

I'd only knock it down to €450 and be prepared to let it go for €400.

jonski wrote: »
    I was kinda thinking the same but was also thinking that the 30 series would be outside my price range .

If you can afford a 2080S you'll be able to afford a 3070 which shouldn't be too much after the launch, which I assume will be the 3080 and 3090. 2070S has been discontinued.

Even if it proves to be a longer wait, as has been said above, hopefully you'll see some secondhand deals or price reductions on the remaining stock.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,035 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

If you can afford a 2080S you'll be able to afford a 3070 which shouldn't be too much after the launch, which I assume will be the 3080 and 3090. 2070S has been discontinued.

Even if it proves to be a longer wait, as has been said above, hopefully you'll see some secondhand deals or price reductions on the remaining stock.

There was a 2070Super available on Amazon the other day for £370 and I very nearly bought it but by the time I'd made my mind up it had increased in price again.

Going through get a 3070 when it's released as an upgrade for m my 2060.

Advertisement