Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off-Topic Thread V3.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,650 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    Those are Nvidia's FE prices; assuming you can get one it's generally just US price or so.

But AIB models will likely be more expensive, i.e. I expect 550-600 / 750-800 euro starting prices.

Even the FE will likely be closer to 500-550 in euro when you take VAT into account and the exchange, 2080TI is £1150 on the Nvidia UK site but $1200 in the US.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭SickBoy

Those are Nvidia's FE prices; assuming you can get one it's generally just US price or so.

But AIB models will likely be more expensive, i.e. I expect 550-600 / 750-800 euro starting prices.

I struggle to see why AIB partners will feel they can charge more for their cards this time around.
    The cooling solution on the 'Founders' cards looks far more superior than ever so what will be their excuse to charge more?
    I think Nvidia have a strangle hold on the market and would just as soon like to see AIB partners sink.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

SickBoy wrote: »
    I struggle to see why AIB partners will feel they can charge more for their cards this time around.
    The cooling solution on the 'Founders' cards looks far more superior than ever so what will be their excuse to charge more?
    I think Nvidia have a strangle hold on the market and would just as soon like to see AIB partners sink.

I don't think they do - remember that even though it's Nvidia, the FE cards are still made by an OEM (possibly Cooler Master).
    If that OEM gets a monopoly on GPUs, Nvidia have less leverage in trade deals.
    In addition, they want the overclockers at companies like EVGA & ASUS.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

SickBoy wrote: »

GPU manufacturers often make custom boards with better power delivery for overclocking. It's not just a different cooler.

We'll get the usual range of cheap coolers with oem boards up to higher end custom boards with better coolers.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

Anyone wanna hedge a guess how much my 2070 8gb is worth after todays announcement? The neighbours kid is looking to get into pc gaming and this could be an excuse to upgrade down the road :)

• Advertisement

TBH might be an idea to go to CEX and sell for cash.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

5 x 2080ti listed on adverts in the last 12 hours! Only 2 are listed for less than a grand! It could be a hard sell for a lot of them now

• Registered Users Posts: 7,875 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Yeah, loads going up on eBay for (relative) peanuts.

Lu Tze wrote: »
    5 x 2080ti listed on adverts in the last 12 hours! Only 2 are listed for less than a grand! It could be a hard sell for a lot of them now

Going by eBay it looks like so far the going rate is going to be < 700 and that's before benchmarks are released for the 3080

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,662 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

With 2080ti going for <700, the value for lesser cards is going to be unreal. Probably ~200 for 1080ti which would be an incredible deal for non-enthusiasts

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

We'll still be seeing people trying to flog 970 for €200!

What do we reckon is fair for a 5700XT I recently bought? (Twice - don't ask :pac: ) thinking about €200 :(

Although no-one compares to this guy!
    https://www.adverts.ie/processors/amd-cpu-heat-sink/21415420

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Hyzepher wrote: »
    With 2080ti going for <700, the value for lesser cards is going to be unreal. Probably ~200 for 1080ti which would be an incredible deal for non-enthusiasts

Isn't the 3070 meant to have similar performance to the 2080ti? If so, 700 for a second hand 2080ti is terrible value when the 3070 is €500 new.

Isn't the 3070 meant to have similar performance to the 2080ti? If so, 700 for a second hand 2080ti is terrible value when the 3070 is €500 new.

*according to Nvidia
    ** in some benchmarks

We'll see, it's not unprecedented (780 Ti -> 970 & 980 Ti -> 1070) but the 2080 Ti was a monster so I find it hard to believe the 3070 also beats it consistently.

*according to Nvidia
    ** in some benchmarks

We'll see, it's not unprecedented (780 Ti -> 970 & 980 Ti -> 1070) but the 2080 Ti was a monster so I find it hard to believe the 3070 also beats it consistently.

Still a €200 premium for a secondhand card which has god knows what done to it. I know I'm probably still jaded from my experience but I'd rather pay €500 get slightly less performance but be backed up by a warranty.

Point taken though that we need to wait for benchmarks.

Still a €200 premium for a secondhand card which has god knows what done to it. I know I'm probably still jaded from my experience but I'd rather pay €500 get slightly less performance but be backed up by a warranty.

Point taken though that we need to wait for benchmarks.

If the benchmarks indicate that the 3070 beats the 2080ti across the board and not just in certain scenarios like raytracing etc, then there's a chance that the second hand prices could drop further. Just at the moment it seems they've dropped down to 700 on the likes of eBay etc

We'll still be seeing people trying to flog 970 for €200!

What do we reckon is fair for a 5700XT I recently bought? (Twice - don't ask :pac: ) thinking about €200 :(

Although no-one compares to this guy!
    https://www.adverts.ie/processors/amd-cpu-heat-sink/21415420

Which 5700XT is it?

Which 5700XT is it?

Red Devil. No warranty as they specifically can't be transferred but it's about six weeks old.

Red Devil. No warranty as they specifically can't be transferred but it's about six weeks old.

I'd say 300 would probably be a decent price for both sides. Definitely wouldn't say 200, there's no direct competition there yet as there's no specs for a 3060.

In saying that I'll give you 200 for it if you really want :D

Well if you are passing it on for 200 let me know

Hmm sell it now before the 3060 gets announced and have to occupy myself being useful (no other GPU) or wait and get shafted by the 3060 :pac:

Edit: this is like the 040 board I bought for my Amiga 1200 back in the day - absolutely no need for it lol

• Advertisement

Hmm sell it now before the 3060 gets announced and have to occupy myself being useful (no other GPU) or wait and get shafted by the 3060 :pac:

I'd hold on to it if you're not in any rush to upgrade tbh. Still a solid 1440p card, unless you need 4k then I wouldn't rush. Even with the 3060 and big Navi or whatever I'd say even a year down the line you'd probably still get 200 for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,353 ✭✭✭xtal191

I'd say 300 would probably be a decent price for both sides. Definitely wouldn't say 200, there's no direct competition there yet as there's no specs for a 3060.

In saying that I'll give you 200 for it if you really want :D
    Well if you are passing it on for 200 let me know

205 and an unused nail clippers? :pac::D

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

*according to Nvidia
    ** in some benchmarks

Yeah, it's an nVidia claim and they're obviously going to hype up their own products but it's all we have to go on. We need to see actual benchmarks to get the whole story but would you spend 700 quid on a second hand 2080ti right now instead of waiting a week or so and see what the 3070 is really like? I think you'd be mad to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

Delighted I sold my 1080ti last week after ignoring advice from here. Lowered my asking from 500 to 490 and got it sold within a few hours.
    Seems my timing was absolutely spot on.

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭Aodhan5000

RossieMan wrote: »
    Delighted I sold my 1080ti last week after ignoring advice from here. Lowered my asking from 500 to 490 and got it sold within a few hours.
    Seems my timing was absolutely spot on.

You were literally advised to "knock the price down to 450 and be prepared to let it go for 400". Don't know what advice you were ignoring that was telling you not to sell tbh but if it soothes your ego.....

Edit: Now that I look at it, it was you yourself who said you'd hold onto it soooooo

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

When can we expect shops to start dropping prices for 2060 ish cards? And what kind of prices we should expect second hand?
    Not going to build new pc yet, but if i could throw 2060 ish card in to my 2500k, it would give some life back to it. ( 1060 in there now and 3440x1440 60hz monitor so not worried about cpu bottleneck)

I'd look at the second hand market instead of shops, it'll probably be flooded affff

With that said, it'll likely be worth seeing what the 3060 brings as I imagin it'll be priced aggressively because AMD will be competing in that segment surely

When can we expect shops to start dropping prices for 2060 ish cards? And what kind of prices we should expect second hand?
    Not going to build new pc yet, but if i could throw 2060 ish card in to my 2500k, it would give some life back to it. ( 1060 in there now and 3440x1440 60hz monitor so not worried about cpu bottleneck)

There's some on sale on overclockers at the moment, but will probably take a while for them to drop more than 10% or so until a 3060 variant is released I'd guess.

2070 was discontinued at the start of last month so there might be some deals there when the 3070 releases to clear the remaining stock. The 2060 super might drop but even then it might still hover around £300ish after the 3070 is released.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

Anyone have experience selling to CEX? According to their site I can get 300 quid cash for a 2070. Do they only accept reference cards? The image on their site is the reference card.

Advertisement