Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off-Topic Thread V3.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,035 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

When can we expect shops to start dropping prices for 2060 ish cards? And what kind of prices we should expect second hand?
    Not going to build new pc yet, but if i could throw 2060 ish card in to my 2500k, it would give some life back to it. ( 1060 in there now and 3440x1440 60hz monitor so not worried about cpu bottleneck)

I'm going to be selling my current rig once the 3070 is out. But if you're interested in my Founder's 2060 and not in a rush we can arrange something then if you like.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Aodhan5000 wrote: »
    I'd look at the second hand market instead of shops, it'll probably be flooded affff

Unfortunately second hand market for us is adverts.ie lol. Even now its hilarious **** show.

Not sure whats worse. People in denial on their prices or people who troll others for sole reason to take a piss from seller and not actually try to buy a gpu.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,650 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Unfortunately second hand market for us is adverts.ie lol. Even now its hilarious **** show.

Not sure whats worse. People in denial on their prices or people who troll others for sole reason to take a piss from seller and not actually try to buy a gpu.

You might be able to bag a bargain 1080ti in the next couple weeks to be honest. Would be fairly close in performance to the 2070 super just no ray tracing. Or there's a zotac 2070 super that the seller said he'd take 350 for.

You might be able to bag a bargain 1080ti in the next couple weeks to be honest. Would be fairly close in performance to the 2070 super just no ray tracing. Or there's a zotac 2070 super that the seller said he'd take 350 for.

I think best bet now is just wait for actual 3000 series to be shipped and be an actual physical thing. As of now its a bit of "Deer in a spotlight" situation. Sellers panicking or out of loop and buyers, i mean time wasters, just pissing them off.

1080ti or 2070s might be a wee bit of overkill for me. Nice, but 350eu would be a bit off overkill for old system to give it some a bit more life before scrapage.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Anyone have experience selling to CEX? According to their site I can get 300 quid cash for a 2070. Do they only accept reference cards? The image on their site is the reference card.

They accept any GPU afaik, seen many a non-reference in the stores.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

1080ti or 2070s might be a wee bit of overkill for me. Nice, but 350eu would be a bit off overkill for old system to give it some a bit more life before scrapage.

Same I think I'll be building a new computer if I wish to use any of the new GPUs. Going to wait until both Nvidia & AMD's hardware is actually available from retailers. Will be chugging along with this old yoke for a little longer it seems.
    Anyone have experience selling to CEX? According to their site I can get 300 quid cash for a 2070. Do they only accept reference cards? The image on their site is the reference card.

They bought my GPU even though I explicitly told them it was broken. I doubt they'll care.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

Yeah its a right mess over there atm between ridiculous lowballs or sellers getting upset when you point out their €1200 has lost about 500 in value in the last 24hrs.

Worth noting that you should be able negotiate a decent price if you make a reasonable offer with people tho.

Infini wrote: »
    Yeah its a right mess over there atm between ridiculous lowballs or sellers getting upset when you point out their €1200 has lost about 500 in value in the last 24hrs.

Worth noting that you should be able negotiate a decent price if you make a reasonable offer with people tho.

I am not in a rush, still have my 9750h 2060 laptop that I use when I get gaming time. Unfortunately my desktop was not used properly since I got laptop last November as it is properly outdated. I had better performance by just hooking that screen, mouse and keyboard to Laptop. I even did benchmarks.
    So getting gpu like that will definitely give it some more life and make me use it more. As connecting laptop in my nerd cave is so annoying lol. I know first world problem hehe.
    With resolution I have cpu wont be the bottleneck issue and I am not after latest games on ultra. Feck, all I play now is World of ships, Snowrunner, satisfactory, Tropico 6. So if I can get substantial upgrade for 250eu ish for now until new pc, then feck, why not. Just need to have adverts to stabilise.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭deceit

Infini wrote: »

Imho I wouldn't wanna pay even 500 for a 2080 ti now if the 3070 performs as good in non RT games as it, especially as it will be new with warranty and have better RT support which hopefully will come into its own in the near future.
    I usually go with 80 series cards (recent cards I've bought were 980ti (now sold), 1080 (in spare pc) and 2080(Iin main pc)). I'm very tempted by the 3090 once you can get a normal shape aftermarket card that can fit a waterblock onto it.
    I don't think that card would suit my build watercooled.

deceit wrote: »
    Imho I wouldn't wanna pay even 500 for a 2080 ti now if the 3070 performs as good in non RT games as it, especially as it will be new with warranty and have better RT support which hopefully will come into its own in the near future.
    I usually go with 80 series cards (recent cards I've bought were 980ti (now sold), 1080 (in spare pc) and 2080(Iin main pc)). I'm very tempted by the 3090 once you can get a normal shape aftermarket card that can fit a waterblock onto it.
    I don't think that card would suit my build watercooled.

To be fair, we don't really have real world benchmarks yet, and nvidia would not be the most trusted gang to be honest. So I would not advice to bin all that salt just yet, as you might need a few pinches.
    Though I agree. 500eu for 2080ti would be a wee bit of a piss take. Even in worst case scenario.
    I am more of a 60 series man now, as I tend to get all consoles too. The only 80 series I ever had was 680 when it launched, but back then it was a 550eu card.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,662 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

Come October you'll be lucky to get the €600 that CeX are currently offering for the 2080ti. Once the 3070 launches, with decent availability, the 2080ti will be a €400 card and probably less than that when AMD launch. Unfortunatley thats just the reality given the price/performance of these new cards. In fact the launch event more or less confirmed that the 20xx cards are now super over-valued given they were focusing on the Pascal generation when talking about upgrading. They more or less dismissed the 20xx range in terms of their viability for upgrade given theinitial cost of the cards compare to the new range

e.g. cost of 2080ti bought in 2020: €1200 - €1500. Cost of 3080 : €800. The 3080 would be effectively costing you approx €1000 to upgrade from a 2080ti

Hyzepher wrote: »
    Come October you'll be lucky to get the €600 that CeX are currently offering for the 2080ti. Once the 3070 launches, with decent availability, the 2080ti will be a €400 card and probably less than that when AMD launch. Unfortunatley thats just the reality given the price/performance of these new cards. In fact the launch event more or less confirmed that the 20xx cards are now super over-valued given they were focusing on the Pascal generation when talking about upgrading. They more or less dismissed the 20xx range in terms of their viability for upgrade given theinitial cost of the cards compare to the new range

e.g. cost of 2080ti bought in 2020: €1200 - €1500. Cost of 3080 : €800. The 3080 would be effectively costing you approx €1000 to upgrade to a 3080

The only reason Cex is offering that much for it now, because they have not updated their systems yet. And peoples who have those cards to offload hold that as the strength of their position.
    If I would be the person with 2080ti, I would be fecking running to cex and selling them gpu as fast as I could. That's going to be the best offer they will get now and in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,401 ✭✭✭Homelander

Once CEX get a few 2080Ti's traded in the value will plummet. So, if you have one, get that guaranteed €600 quid now while it's available. It won't be for very long.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,662 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

You can really understand the potential of these new cards when it's possible that the average second hand cost of a 2080ti in a few months might be €400

Half wondering if it's worth taking a punt on a 1080ti or 2070 super for around 300 if they drop over the next couple weeks, and then waiting until the 3080 or even 70 go general release and are sorted driver/bios wise etc and making a small loss on the card.

Rebuilt my pc a couple months ago and picked up a 1650 super to tide me over until the 30 series but it's killing me not being able to play at 1440p on my ultrawide, and even at 1080p it's not great in some games.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    They accept any GPU afaik, seen many a non-reference in the stores.

Cheers, I ended up donating it to my nephew to start his PC gaming journey. He was delighted. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

OSI wrote: »
    Have used powerline devices in a number of houses now and results can really vary wildly from one house to another depending on the electrical system. One place I got about 90% of the rated bandwidth on them, on another I barely got 10Mbps.

Yeah. It can vary wildly. I have a pair that worked flawlessly in my apartment. Stopped using them for years and then plugged them into my new house after moving my PC to another room and it kept on disconnecting, twice an hour or even more. They'd lose connection from each other for a few minutes at a time.

Quick question, I'm in the process of selling my current PC and going to build a new one.

I'm going to do a fresh install of Windows on the new PC so that's ok. However I have an Samsung SSD and a separate HDD in the current PC that I want to move to the new PC.

Is it just a matter of plugging them out and plugging them into the new machine? Will there be any issue with the information I have on those two drives?

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭yoshiktk

F me. Ive prepared all to use my pc in living room and my room, drilled holes, put nice sockets to cover it up, setup hdmi cables,etc. Just had to wait for usb extension for usb hub. Bought wrong one...
    Is there any shop in Dublin area which would have usb female to female?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

It's very difficult to erase a Hard Drive you have to overwrite every bit on the drive, and ideally do that multiple times. SSDs usually have a 'secure erase' function that will reset all the data on the drive to 0s.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭yoshiktk

It's very difficult to erase a Hard Drive you have to overwrite every bit on the drive, and ideally do that multiple times. SSDs usually have a 'secure erase' function that will reset all the data on the drive to 0s.
    ?
    Did I misread something, he just wants to move ssd/hdd to new machine, besides making sure that he choose booting from new ssd, the disks are plug&play.

yoshiktk wrote: »
    ?
    Did I misread something, he just wants to move ssd/hdd to new machine, besides making sure that he choose booting from new ssd, the disks are plug&play.

I probably misread it.

yoshiktk wrote: »
    ?

Hi yes that's what I'm looking for.

I'm selling my current PC and leaving the windows drive in this. The two drives I'm taking from the PC to put in the new one has a Steam Library, Photos and some documents on them.

I'll be getting a new NVME drive for the new PC to install windows on.

TitianGerm wrote: »
    Hi yes that's what I'm looking for.

I'm selling my current PC and leaving the windows drive in this. The two drives I'm taking from the PC to put in the new one has a Steam Library, Photos and some documents on them.

I'll be getting a new NVME drive for the new PC to install windows on.

You should just be able to swap them in with no issue. Might be worth backing up any crucial stuff to the likes of Dropbox etc just in case but I've swapped drives between computers plenty of times without issues

You should just be able to swap them in with no issue. Might be worth backing up any crucial stuff to the likes of Dropbox etc just in case but I've swapped drives between computers plenty of times without issues

I've a spare external here so I'll copy photos and documents to that. If I lose the games it's just a matter of redownloading.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Your mixing it up. It's easy to wipe a hard drive but difficult to wipe a SSD.

Your mixing it up. It's easy to wipe a hard drive but difficult to wipe a SSD.

How so?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,114 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

How so?
    If not mistaking.. some to do with data being shifted around to ensure cell usage evenly, remnants of data could remain in provisioned area, some might be restored....

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

How so?

With a Hard drive all space is available to you at all times so you can over write it with garbage and it will over write what you had on it where as a SSD has a few layers and the controller picks where you will write so it will leave your files behind. Yes some manufactures do have a wipe function on SSD's but do you really want to trust their function to securely wipe the SSD.

• Advertisement

With a Hard drive all space is available to you at all times so you can over write it with garbage and it will over write what you had on it where as a SSD has a few layers and the controller picks where you will write so it will leave your files behind. Yes some manufactures do have a wipe function on SSD's but do you really want to trust their function to securely wipe the SSD.

Assuming a SSD is wiped, granted any 'wiper' out there can leave behind data, the data is gone. Data overwritten on a HDD can still be recovered, albeit with great difficulty due to the way the charge is stored.

Depending on the TRIM implementation it's quite difficult to recover a deleted file as opposed to a HDD where it's very easy indeed.

Advertisement